Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Sp33dY
Occasional Poster

January 2004
20V into a AE92 Wed, 07 January 2004 23:52 Go to next message
Im sure this topic has been raised a billion times --- and ive searched for and read through many posts, though im still after a few straight answers - Hopefully someoneone can help me!

The story so far...
I currently drive a Toyota Echo (see Member rides), and im thinkign about getting out of the 5K debt i have on it - money is a bit tight at the moment as i just moved out of home. My dreams of owning a AE92 20v have all of a sudden become a MUST HAVE after scoring a drive in one with a 20V. My frist car was a 81 KE55 Corolla Coupe with a 4age under the hood. I bought it complete and my mate wrote it off 3 months later when i let him drive it. I long once again to have a Better, faster 4age toymota!

My questions

Is there any reason why say a Seca would be better than a hatch or a sedan for the conversion?

Can a 20V be dropped in using the same engine mounts on All AE92 models? or is it best to buy a AE92 with a 4age already in it?

Am i right in thinking a budget of a bout 2K all up for engine, gearbox, computer woudl be enuf ? I and my mates have the skillz and facilities to complete the conversion - so labour costs wouldnt be added.

If i were to run an aftermarket ECU? Is there any preference? IE.. wolf, microtech, etc? Im thinking it would be easier to wire up than the factory 20V ECU - and at the same time give me a few extra kw when tuned.

----

I think thats about it for the moment.
At the moment its a dream that i want to make a reality, but i wanna make sure i know how much to budget and exactly what im in for so it'll be smooth sailing.

- Mike
  Send a private message to this user    
MR. 2
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: 20V into a AE92 Thu, 08 January 2004 01:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Is there any reason why say a Seca would be better than a hatch or a sedan for the conversion?

nope i dont think so just balance of a seca is better take corners faster LOL

Quote:

Can a 20V be dropped in using the same engine mounts on All AE92 models? or is it best to buy a AE92 with a 4age already in it?

so long as the motor has the 4a code then yes

Quote:

Am i right in thinking a budget of a bout 2K all up for engine, gearbox, computer woudl be enuf ? I and my mates have the skillz and facilities to complete the conversion - so labour costs wouldnt be added.

yup cause u would by a half cut thats about the price if u look around u can get them for 1500 i brough mine for that price about 3 1/2 years ago

Quote:

If i were to run an aftermarket ECU? Is there any preference? IE.. wolf, microtech, etc? Im thinking it would be easier to wire up than the factory 20V ECU - and at the same time give me a few extra kw when tuned.

i recommend ems prolly cause i am biased as i use it and love it but it also has the function for controling vvt as wold i dont think does or any cheap ones i dont think..... dont qoute me not 100 % on that one

good luck
waynewatson
Regular

May 2003
Re: 20V into a AE92 Thu, 08 January 2004 01:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Seca is the heaviest of all ae92s, the tailgates are heavy mofos and are a pain in the arse in rear enders, even if it's only a small bump. Body parts are the most expensive and so is insurance.
Sedan is lightest and is stiffer in the rear.

You'll use a combination of old mounts and 20v mounts. The redtop and the 20valves have the same block, so you'll have all the mounts you need if you swap one 4age for another.

You're dreaming for 2k. Think double that. Get a front cut or else you'll buy the motor,gearbox etc and then spend twice as much money and 10 times more time on everything else you need.

An SX as your base car will produce best results. Failing that, get something that is already efi. Failing that, you'll need to do more work on a carby car to do the efi conversion. Of course, the lower spec the car, the cheaper it is. Remember also that SX's have the nicest interiors, brakes, suspension, etc. If you get a carby base car, you'll need a fuel tank, fillers, etc, pump and lines (SX line is $17 from toyota).

At the end of the day, the cheapest, fastest and easiest way is to buy an already converted car.

Look at twincam.org, always cars for sale there (mostly 4agze's atm though).
SXer
Regular

May 2002
Re: 20V into a AE92 Thu, 08 January 2004 01:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just on the ECU - I think the factory set-up has a fair bit going for it. Its already tuned, the engine loom is already fitted, the car will have good economy and power, the car will be less likely to be defected, it comes free with the half-cut etc etc.

Good luck with the project.
Sp33dY
Occasional Poster

January 2004
Re: 20V into a AE92 Thu, 08 January 2004 02:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
waynewatson wrote on Thu, 08 January 2004 12:49

You're dreaming for 2k. Think double that. Get a front cut or else you'll buy the motor,gearbox etc and then spend twice as much money and 10 times more time on everything else you need.

A dude i was speaking to here in Melbourne paid just under 2K for for engine, gearbox(5pd), computer - from toyospares in bayswater. Of course... 2K was the the engine only or there abouts. My budget would be about 4K to get the engine in and running.

Ive loooked at older Twin Cam rollas, but i think the AE92 shape is nicer.. plus the interior is a lot more modern than the square dashes of early models.

A close mate owned a Seca and it went not to badly with the standard 4age + exhaust, but as u also mentioned - the rear end seemed very heavy. Sure it'd help in cornering - but that wouldnt be a huge issue. As long my car can give Vtec hondas a run, thats all that matters Smile

Lastely... any idea wat kinda 1/4 mile times i would expect to do with a 20V in a Rolla SX?
bigg willie style
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: 20V into a AE92 Thu, 08 January 2004 02:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ive heard of high 15s to low 16s in a 20v.
Sp33dY
Occasional Poster

January 2004
Re: 20V into a AE92 Thu, 08 January 2004 03:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thats it?? Maybe my dreams of a rotarolla should be taken into affect instead!
Matt20v
Regular

September 2003

Re: 20V into a AE92 Thu, 08 January 2004 03:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey man i got a seca rv and put a 20v black top in it i spent 3000 all up to get in my car thats buying engine and then get it service ...parts i had to buy an idler pully got all genuie parts for it you new clutch and all that stuff. wireing and getting it my car we did all servicing at home and conversion between to ppl main prob was wireing make sure you get some one who has experience espically wit black top very complicated. but yeah dont for get about usally stuff like new filters and stuff cause youd do all that while the engine is on the host easy that way. but other then that the car is a dream to drive runs cheaper then my old rv 1.8lt 7afe engine and they pick up so well for a N/A... well yeah i am happy and i guess you would be to most cars have nuttin over them and mines the heaveier SECA:(...wish i had an sx hatch
cheers matt
SXer
Regular

May 2002
Re: 20V into a AE92 Thu, 08 January 2004 06:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I agree - the hatches usually feel a little lighter & faster.

If speed is a concern - remember that ae82 twinkys are about 100kg lighter than ae92's. 10% less car to have to move... Smile
jasonp1977
Regular

May 2002
Re: 20V into a AE92 Thu, 08 January 2004 06:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
20V is an easy swap, I've done a silvertop to AE93 SX, and a blacktop to an AE94 CSi hatch now. I've also done an ae92 GZE sedan which flogs the crap out of both the 20V's...

you use all the ae92 mounts to bolt the 20V in, if you have a 4af motor origianlly you will have to hacksaw a bit off the timing cover mount for it to bolt up.

I'd budget about $1500 on parts on top of the cut to be safe if you're doing it yourself.... for things like clutch, waterpump, timing belt, seals, toyota coolant, oil's, hydraulic timing belt tensioner if it's a blacktop, pligs, accessory belts, etc etc. I would definatly replace the waterpump as I know of 6 different 20V conversions that have had the waterpump fail within a year of the completion of the conversion, and it's a LOT easier to do when the motor's out of the car... same as everything else you should inspect/replace.

I've seen silvertop frontcuts going for about $1800 or less lately, they are all getting up in the high K's now as they could be up to 13 years old... (silvertop was released in 1991.)

an ae92 4af radiator has the top outlet in the right position, the ae111 radiator is too tall unless you move the lower radiator mounts down a bit on the chassis.

The ae101 and ae111 PS racks can be bolted into the ae92 with ae92 rack ends installed on them, or you can swap the frontcut PS lines onto your AE92 power steering rack. If you use an ae101 or ae111 rack in the ae92 you will need an ae92 power steering column to bolt onto it, the manual steering one is different.

The wiring is the hardest but not impossible, you just have to go about it logically and not to anything stupid with the original ae92 loom. The blacktop loom is a LOT different to the ae92 and ae101 looms.

I paid $2400 for my AE111 BZ-G frontcut which was 5-speed with the superstrut brakes, not a bad price I thought considering I could only get a high K silvertop cut for $1800. The last silvertop conversion I did the frontcut cost $1600 with about 100,000K's on it.

The thread covering my blacktop swap is here:
http://www.twincam.org/forums/index.php?showtopic= 54

and my old silvertop conversion article is here:
http://www.4age.net/tech/20v/index.htm
Sp33dY
Occasional Poster

January 2004
Re: 20V into a AE92 Sat, 10 January 2004 00:50 Go to previous message
Well.. again my mind has changed. I saw a AE92 4agze in action last night and godddaammn.. it chirped into 3rd gear with a fairly stockish setup --- it flew... apparently does high 14s. For insuarnace sakes though, staying NA... the 20V might be the go.

Jasonp1977- uve been a HUUUGEEE Help.. thanks heaps!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:adjustable upper strut mounts ae86 { help }
Next Topic:grinding noise, oil everywhere, smoke, pull over, HELP! ma70
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 15 20:02:21 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0048849582672119 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.