Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » engine blew after I ........................ ???

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Acoustic
Regular

November 2003
engine blew after I ........................ ??? Thu, 08 January 2004 04:55 Go to next message
Hi guys, especially Sifussssssssssssssssssssssssssss

What could have caused the engine to bye bye?

Toyota 4A-GE 4 throttles 20v blacktop head (over hauled) + silvertop block (non over hauled) + blacktop ECU and wiring looms

Bolt on, immediately white smoke. Open, pistons loose???

Before this, the complete engine silvertop was running healthy, smooth, power, trouble free, fast, responsive, no hic cups. Was on silvertop ECU and wiring looms.

feedbacks appreciated!!!!
  Send a private message to this user    
improvedae86
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: engine blew after I ........................ ??? Thu, 08 January 2004 04:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Have you carried out a compression test ?
onejayzed
Regular

September 2003
Re: engine blew after I ........................ ??? Thu, 08 January 2004 05:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
got me stumped...?!?
pistons are loose did you say...? how exactly? are they loose on the wrist pins or look loose in the bore? and it hasn't been touched and was running fine before the head swap....?
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: engine blew after I ........................ ??? Thu, 08 January 2004 05:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is it oil smoke or steam?
Acoustic
Regular

November 2003
Re: engine blew after I ........................ ??? Thu, 08 January 2004 05:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi guys, thanks for your help, heres more info

silvertop, transplant every dam thing.

running fine, perfect for 8 months. But a little white smoke. Very little.

then change HEAD to blacktop and change wiring loom and ECU to blacktop, cut allot of wiring to joint sockets for air-cond, dash etc etc.....

running also fine for 2 months, very willing, no problems, but a little white smoke. Very little.

So, overhaul the head and change to metal head gasket.

put the head back, immediately white smoke allot allot...... not yet drive out,,,...........allot allot like smoke generator for disco...

open head, found pistons loose........

What could have gone wrong???

compression check 170 psi only, so open the head and found pistons loose inside the bore can move left ,right, sideways Sad

[Updated on: Thu, 08 January 2004 05:34]

SXer
Regular

May 2002
Re: engine blew after I ........................ ??? Thu, 08 January 2004 06:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
white smoke -> water

could the replacment head gasket have allowed water into the combustion chamber which then forced its way past the rings, buggering them in the process?
onejayzed
Regular

September 2003
Re: engine blew after I ........................ ??? Thu, 08 January 2004 06:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
left right sideways by what...half a mm or half an inch? they really shouldn't move at all.

i had a similar prob on my L24 six. the engine was running like shit, so i recond the head and put it back on after diagnosing what seemed like pitted valve seats and valves not seating properly. ran like a dream for 24hours then black smoke. then another 24hours later black and blue smoke. then driving home, silver smoke and running worse than before the head swap. turns out the extra compression from correctly seated valves blew out the already very fragile rings and what was left of them.

your bottom end may have shit itself for some reason - extra compression?

or the metal head gasket...is it copper? you will need to re-torque the head after running it warm and shutting it down - while it's warm. did you apply any kind of sealant, like CAT gasket sealant or the like. always a good idea with metal gaskets. your block isn't machined flat either is it, if it's the original...? this may be contributing.
FKN16V
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: engine blew after I ........................ ??? Thu, 08 January 2004 07:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Have you checked your water level, my bet is there's a leak in your head gasket due your head and/or block not being flat.
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: engine blew after I ........................ ??? Thu, 08 January 2004 13:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Freak got this from this site: http://www.supras.com/~riemer/HKS/hksgaskets.html

Some SONiC members who have had machine work done to their engine when they installed a metal head gasket have experienced problems with combustion gasses leaking past the head gasket into the coolant jackets or oiling system. The marks from the machine tools can leave a pattern of fine grooves, on the engine cylinder head and deck surfaces. This rough textured surface allows the engines high-pressure combustion gasses to fizz through past the metal gasket.

Because this smooth factory finish is very hard to have reproduced by the machine shops around the country several things must be kept in mind when machine work is done to your engineÕs deck and head surfaces.

They usually never admit it, but try as they might, many reputable machine shops have major problems obtaining a smooth enough finish to allow the use of a metal shim gasket. The reason for this is that they simply donÕt have good enough equipment, procedures, or technicians to achieve an acceptable finish to provide a tight seal when using a metal head gasket.

Unless the shop is familiar with doing work of this caliber, they will not understand why you want a better job than what they have done. I have seen machine finishes bad enough to cause sealing problems when using a stock composite gasket!

Because of this area of concern, I would only recommend that the engine block deck only be machined (resurfaced) if there is damage to the deck surface caused by the compression rings of the old head gasket. However, usually you will need to resurface the alloy cylinder head because the compression rings of the stock gasket bite into the alloy surface of the cylinder head.

could be something to do with the metal headgasket you used?
onejayzed
Regular

September 2003
Re: engine blew after I ........................ ??? Fri, 09 January 2004 01:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that's what i thought.
take your head off, apply a sealant to the gasket (both sides), re-fit your head, bring it up to running temp then shut it down. re-tension your head and you should be okay.....
let us know either way.
good luck Cool
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: engine blew after I ........................ ??? Fri, 09 January 2004 03:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Freak get a spray tin of that Hylomar stuff.
i pulled apart and rebuilt my 3 peice metal head gasket with it, good gear... Smile
Acoustic
Regular

November 2003
Re: engine blew after I ........................ ??? Fri, 09 January 2004 06:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi guys

Oh,................doh..................speechless ........

I really don't know now...............

Will do / investigate whatever I can and report...... Sad
IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: engine blew after I ........................ ??? Sat, 10 January 2004 10:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how about this for a guestimation......

as above unprepared mating surfaces cause bad seal and therefore blown HG (white smoke), water leaks into piston chamber at XXXXRPM and water semi compresses (ps water dosent compress f$$$ all! ), causing broken rings and ring lands (piston slop), result... time for rebuild.
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: engine blew after I ........................ ??? Sat, 10 January 2004 10:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
IRA11Y wrote on Sat, 10 January 2004 20:41

<snip> water leaks into piston chamber at XXXXRPM and water semi compresses (ps water dosent compress f$$$ all! ), causing broken rings and ring lands (piston slop), result... <snip rest>

actually - i think it should read something like:
"engine attempts to compress water, causing broken rings and ring lands and maybe bent gudgen pins and conrods, result..."

tho i think IRA11Y's probably got it in a nutshell... ouch...
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: engine blew after I ........................ ??? Sat, 10 January 2004 11:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pistons do move bit sideways in the block

very minute but they do move

forged pistons move even more

u would have to fuk the piston badly for them to move greatly enough to be a problem

if u go thead of make sur eall pistons come to the top of block

u might have hydraulic locked cylinder and bent a conrod

i have never heard of gudgen pins bending
its usually the conrod

was the metal headgasket a custom one
or was it like a hks 3 plate type

sometimes custom made metal headgaskets are not 100% perfect

white smoke is usually water in combustion chamber
so u recon there is a water leak somewhere
yolk
Newcomer

January 2004
Re: engine blew after I ........................ ??? Tue, 13 January 2004 01:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Here is what was done so far

I got hold of blacktop wiring and ecu and fix into my silvertop 20v everything went smoothly except the aircond part because the silvertop 20v using auto aircond ie you set the aircond to auto and set the air cond temp and it will adjust the aircond speed to match the aircond temp and blacktop doesn&#8217;t have this feature so we mixed/mated my silvertop aircond wiring and blacktop engine wiring. At the same time I also manage to get hold of a blacktop head with the throttle bodies fixed both of it to my existing silvertop block along with a trd metal gasket Drove around and got an error code 25 stating that the oxygen sensor system was faulty so I changed it and everything was running fine but at the same time when I rev hard I got lotsa black smoke and some white smoke in between. I also installed a oil catch tank at this time and took the hose that connects from the valve cover that goes to the air filter hose. Now the oil catch tank sits between it (from valve cover/breather hose?? to oil catch tank to air filter hose)

Since the condition of the head was unknown and my mechanic assumed that the blacktop head valve seals were bad so we did a top overhaul but also at the same time I noticed that he ordered the top overhaul set for silvertop instead of blacktop from Toyota. According to him it&#8217;s the same for the valve seals and if not mistaken even blacktop manual states that the valve seal was green for intake and gray for exhaust (or vice versa) and it was the same color for the silvertop top overhaul set. I also installed an oil cooler at the same time.
So the head was fully cleaned and overhaul with new valve seals. The head was fixed back to my engine and was driven around for 2 days the outcome this time was even worst lots more white smoke than before and in that 2 days it consumed 1 bottle of engine oil (4 litter).

Opened the head once more and this time with the head out I tried moving the pistons and there was some freeplay I could actually move the piston by pushing it with my fingers. The piston has been removed from the block and we found that the oil ring has jammed/siezed/shrunk into the piston itself and all 4 pistons are the same. I just shook my head in disbelief so will be getting new piston rings to replace the old ones.
onejayzed
Regular

September 2003
Re: engine blew after I ........................ ??? Tue, 13 January 2004 02:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
still doesn't solve the white smoke issue though.....
yolk
Newcomer

January 2004
Re: engine blew after I ........................ ??? Tue, 13 January 2004 02:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
white smoke is caused by the piston ring (oil ring) that has shrunk/siezed causing oil to flow into the combustion chamber after changing it all is okay.

[Updated on: Tue, 13 January 2004 02:59]

feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: engine blew after I ........................ ??? Tue, 13 January 2004 03:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yolk wrote on Tue, 13 January 2004 12:58

white smoke is caused by the piston ring (oil ring) that has shrunk/siezed causing oil to flow into the combustion chamber after changing it all is okay.

sorry yolk, but white smoke is caused by water. if the oil rings where stuffed you would get blue/grey smoke.
yolk
Newcomer

January 2004
Re: engine blew after I ........................ ??? Tue, 13 January 2004 03:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
then it should have been grey smoke .. sorry can't tell the difference between white/grey yet Embarassed Surprised btw it was consuming too much engine oil so it's definately the problem with the piston rings
onejayzed
Regular

September 2003
Re: engine blew after I ........................ ??? Tue, 13 January 2004 03:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
looks like you're up for a new bottom end dude... Sad
IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: engine blew after I ........................ ??? Tue, 13 January 2004 05:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I hate being right so often Sad
Acoustic
Regular

November 2003
Re: engine blew after I ........................ ??? Tue, 13 January 2004 06:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi guys

thanks for all the answers and pardon my lack of experience with engine internals.

The engine is not mine, so I can't say much because I didn't actually see it.

As for me, I also can't tell the difference between white smoke, or grey or black..... never knew there is a grey color smoke issues until now Sad

Used to tell my mech there is black smoke and he tweaks something and I still say black smoke and he keeps tweaking, until the end he go round back and scold me idiot, that's white smoke Sad haahahahaahha

Anyway, learn a great deal from you guys regarding this issue, didn't know engines could be so...... complicated ...... thanks again.
onejayzed
Regular

September 2003
Re: engine blew after I ........................ ??? Tue, 13 January 2004 06:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
not complicated at all. Very Happy
just glorified air pumps really...
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: engine blew after I ........................ ??? Tue, 13 January 2004 08:37 Go to previous message
Acoustic wrote on Tue, 13 January 2004 14:26

As for me, I also can't tell the difference between white smoke, or grey or black..... never knew there is a grey color smoke issues until now Sad

Grey/blue oil smoke is a darker shade of white
White coolant smoke is like a bright puffy cloud
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:sprinter springs fit a ae-71
Next Topic:TA23 w/2jz
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 11:50:17 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0054178237915039 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.