Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » New Supra...Start Saving.....

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
TA22GTV
Occasional Poster

July 2002

New Supra...Start Saving..... Thu, 08 January 2004 02:32 Go to next message
Just came aross this on the net..........

Start saving thoses five cents pieces.......

http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/kunyikfamily/2005%20Supra/2005_supra_multi_view.jpg

There is some spec's on it flying around the net........

Price going around will be $20,000- $30,000 US or AUD unknow at this time.......

Send a private message to this user    
Caledwvech
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: New Supra...Start Saving..... Thu, 08 January 2004 02:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That is just concept art. Been around for a few years now. Nothing certain.
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: New Supra...Start Saving..... Thu, 08 January 2004 02:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You trying to steal my thunder TA22? Cool
i put that pic up in the thread "What do people think of the new Camry Sportivo?" last week. Very Happy
Caledwvech
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: New Supra...Start Saving..... Thu, 08 January 2004 03:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Actually I think I was the first. I put a thread up about it in like October or November last year. Very Happy That is how I found out that it was nothing confirmed yet......

Very Happy
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: New Supra...Start Saving..... Thu, 08 January 2004 03:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yer
it looks pretty good imho... not as super sexy as the mkIV, but a bit crankier.

of course, word is it's gonna be a n/a V6 in direct competition with the 350Z.
ooohhhh, 350Z.. big competition :\
what's wrong with a nice 3.5L 3JZ TT inline 6? Razz
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: New Supra...Start Saving..... Thu, 08 January 2004 03:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if toyota do that shit the mkiv will be the last supra in my eyes

Allan
bigg willie style
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: New Supra...Start Saving..... Thu, 08 January 2004 03:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that looks good except for those headlights. what the?
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: New Supra...Start Saving..... Thu, 08 January 2004 03:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bloody hell, I can't believe this keeps popping up! Don't worry, that pic is an amateur photoshop job based on a MkIV, and it's been floating around the net for at least 3 or 4 years. If Toyota do release a new Supra it won't look anything like that at all!
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: New Supra...Start Saving..... Thu, 08 January 2004 03:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Allan wrote on Thu, 08 January 2004 14:17

Allan

I agree
Soarer
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: New Supra...Start Saving..... Thu, 08 January 2004 11:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I want to see a 3UZ-GTE 4.3L V8 Twin Turbo Smile
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: New Supra...Start Saving..... Thu, 08 January 2004 12:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Soarer wrote on Thu, 08 January 2004 19:48

I want to see a 3UZ-GTE 4.3L V8 Twin Turbo Smile

Gimme gimme Smile Shit, I'd be happy with a 3UZGE! Very Happy
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: New Supra...Start Saving..... Thu, 08 January 2004 13:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Allan wrote on Thu, 08 January 2004 14:17

Allan

Feel the same way mate.
A bit like the new Skyline or 350Z.
They should put a 4.0ltr V8 in it, with a supercharged version or something. Very Happy
Oh, and it better not look like piss like the front end of this concept sketch.
oldskoolrolla
Regular

September 2002
Re: New Supra...Start Saving..... Thu, 08 January 2004 13:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I quite like the front of this Supra, they are trying to create a modern interpretation of the original Toyota sports coupe, the 2000GT, and I think its pretty cool that they are trying to link previous generations of the Toyota sports coupe into one seriously sweet looking old-school, full-on GT coupe.
http://vintagecars.about.com/library/graphics/toyota2000_red.jpg
http://www.fast-autos.net/toyota/2000gt-2.jpg

Notice the similarities?

Dan 'O'
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: New Supra...Start Saving..... Thu, 08 January 2004 14:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't mind it, I get the 2000GT link, but the front doesn't match the sides.

Besides, unlike Ford, Toyota doesn't need to rely on nostalgia to make a good car Smile
oldskoolrolla
Regular

September 2002
Re: New Supra...Start Saving..... Thu, 08 January 2004 14:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I can see a bit of a resembelence of the 2000GT in the curves of the front and rear guards- in the side-on profile; and the shape of the side glass, how it swoops <--( Confused ) down at a point that resembles itself with the sport coupes on the late 60's and 70's (particularly with the 2000GT)

I agree that toyota doesnt NEED to revert to nostalgia to create a good car.. but its good to know that Toyota knows where its roots lie, and can create a good looking, modern interpretation of a formula that worked just as well 35 years ago as it does today

[Updated on: Thu, 08 January 2004 14:17]

shcao
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: New Supra...Start Saving..... Thu, 08 January 2004 14:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is it just me, or are heaps of manufacturers trying to resort back to NA muscle..

the nissan Z,
the RX8.
and maybe the supra???
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: New Supra...Start Saving..... Thu, 08 January 2004 14:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That doesnt appeal to me slightly...
They're turning it too ricey for my likings. Big shaped guards, vents and flared crap everywhere.
Stick with an ma61, or ma70 - or a jza80 WITOUT all the wings and shit people do to them
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: New Supra...Start Saving..... Thu, 08 January 2004 14:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Those old Supra's look great. The point at the front is nice. But in the concept drawing the front isn't pointy. The thing I think looks shit is the lights on the nose.
Intensevil
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: New Supra...Start Saving..... Thu, 08 January 2004 14:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
They shouldn't drop the straight 6 for a v6, the straight six has been in the supra line up from the start. It just wouldn't be a supra without the awesome BWOAAAAAAAA noise we've allcome to love. I'm pretty sure toyota can make a straight turboed six that makes emissions and produces over 350hp.

I think nissan screwed up with the gtr fanbase when they replaced the rb26dett with a vq32dett. Its just not the same car. Its like if the next rx7 came out with a v8 in it, its just not right. Im hoping toyota don't do the same Smile

[Updated on: Thu, 08 January 2004 14:32]

oldskoolrolla
Regular

September 2002
Re: New Supra...Start Saving..... Thu, 08 January 2004 15:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Word, Intensevil! Very Happy
They should muck around with a formula that has worked from day one, the straight six formula is just as recognisable with the supra as the unmistakable silhouette of the supra itself... i am sure that fans would be pretty dissapointed if they dropped the i-6 for a v-6, i sure would be Sad
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: New Supra...Start Saving..... Thu, 08 January 2004 15:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if they're going a v engine...it should be an 8. not biased or anything.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: New Supra...Start Saving..... Thu, 08 January 2004 15:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Intensevil wrote on Thu, 08 January 2004 22:31

They shouldn't drop the straight 6 for a v6, the straight six has been in the supra line up from the start. It just wouldn't be a supra without the awesome BWOAAAAAAAA noise we've allcome to love. I'm pretty sure toyota can make a straight turboed six that makes emissions and produces over 350hp.

Being able to make an engine like that is a non-issue. The 2JZ could do that as is. Its from a packaging standpoint that the inline six loses out, the V6 is heaps smaller.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: New Supra...Start Saving..... Thu, 08 January 2004 15:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
V8_MA61 wrote on Thu, 08 January 2004 23:05

if they're going a v engine...it should be an 8. not biased or anything.

Amen brother Very Happy
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: New Supra...Start Saving..... Thu, 08 January 2004 15:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it makes sense above any other replacement engine!
A crown has a v8 for christs sake!!
oldskoolrolla
Regular

September 2002
Re: New Supra...Start Saving..... Thu, 08 January 2004 15:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i second that amen, and throw in a few hail marys and hallelujahs to boot Very Happy Surprised

Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: New Supra...Start Saving..... Thu, 08 January 2004 15:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Who cares if a V6 is smaller? The new supra should come in 3 engine configs:
1) Inline 6
2) Inline 6 Twin Turbo
3) V8

Very Happy
I'll take the Turbo. Smile
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: New Supra...Start Saving..... Thu, 08 January 2004 15:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shraka wrote on Thu, 08 January 2004 23:52

Who cares if a V6 is smaller? The new supra should come in 3 engine configs:
1) Inline 6
2) Inline 6 Twin Turbo
3) V8

Very Happy
I'll take the Turbo. Smile

Toyota, as much as we diehards piss and moan about the lack of the six, the fact is they'll reach a wider audience who will appreciate the savings in interior space or the fact the engine can be mounted further back in the chassis.
clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: New Supra...Start Saving..... Fri, 09 January 2004 10:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
V8_MA61 wrote on Fri, 09 January 2004 02:07

But that's 'cause a Crown is superior to all.
M.J.H
Forums Junkie

April 2003

Re: New Supra...Start Saving..... Fri, 09 January 2004 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
clubagreenie wrote on Fri, 09 January 2004 21:16

V8_MA61 wrote on Fri, 09 January 2004 02:07

But that's 'cause a Crown is superior to all.

Got it in one Justin.

Lets not forget that as well as a V8 they also have four wheel drive for the Majesta.
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: New Supra...Start Saving..... Fri, 09 January 2004 13:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the v8 in a crown was built for cruising, why not have a fully blown and hi-compression, hi performance 5L putting out culpious hp?!!
clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: New Supra...Start Saving..... Fri, 09 January 2004 21:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Because your idea of a V8 has pushrods. Rolling Eyes
speakafreaka
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: New Supra...Start Saving..... Fri, 09 January 2004 23:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
think about it this way, if toyota havent been using the V configiration, they would have had a good reason not to. If they can get equal to more power with less emissions using a smaller footprint engine, then good luck to them!
Theyre not just going to swap for the sake of it.

i thought i posted it before, but as far as im concerned, toyota has already scrapped the JZ series:
Quote:

the new Crown just came out yesterday, it almost looks like the 10gen Mark II but shaper and faster looking. not sure what all the spec but damn it looks good. the exterior is like whoa, on both the athlete and royal models, the interior is amazing and totally different from the previous gen. its an all new engine. no more I6, its now begining replace with V6 3GR-FSE 3.0L 256ps, 4GR-FSE 2.5L 215ps but mated with a six speed auto tranny. this might mean the next gen Aristo, Mark II, Soarer, and so on that carries the I6 will use these new engine.
http://www.toyota.co.jp/Showroom/All_toyota_lineup /crownathlete/index.html

http://www.toyota.co.jp/Showroom/All_toyota_lineup /crownroyal/index.html

if the new supra isnt using a 3GR-GTE, it will be using a totally new v8.
midnight
Regular

November 2003
Re: New Supra...Start Saving..... Sat, 10 January 2004 04:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Thu, 08 January 2004 14:42

Bloody hell, I can't believe this keeps popping up! Don't worry, that pic is an amateur photoshop job based on a MkIV, and it's been floating around the net for at least 3 or 4 years. If Toyota do release a new Supra it won't look anything like that at all!

it actually looks like a fairly skilled render....
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: New Supra...Start Saving..... Sat, 10 January 2004 08:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
love the rear end.. hate front end... could make it better fairly simply though
but thats been around for years
if they bring out a 350z beater and not a gtr beater... im gonna buy an evo
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: New Supra...Start Saving..... Sat, 10 January 2004 15:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bah, imho they should stick with something with natural balance, be it straight six, 90deg V8, 60deg V12 Very Happy hmmmm

now there's an idea Wink
twin turbo 4L V12 Very Happy should get a few rpm outta that.
Cya, Stewart

Soarer
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: New Supra...Start Saving..... Sat, 10 January 2004 23:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Or they could just put in the 1GZ-FE (in GE config)... 5.0L V12 from the Toyota Century Very Happy
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: New Supra...Start Saving..... Sat, 10 January 2004 23:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what they COULD do... is make it out of shit materials... put a 90 kw 4 cyl engine in it.. give it crystal tail light, a fully sick bodykit, chromies and a BIG gt wing... sell it for 20 000 and they would make shit loads
or maybe thats just in australia?

i'd be happy with the v12
but also make it 4wd
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: New Supra...Start Saving..... Sun, 11 January 2004 01:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4L 12cy???
A little too small on the displacement size!
5.0L or a similar design to the jaguar 5.3L would be better!
Seriously doubt you'd need turbos though!

NO 4wd, thats what gt4's are for. RWD like all the others Smile
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: New Supra...Start Saving..... Sun, 11 January 2004 02:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1GZ-GTE? Evil or Very Mad

They would have some trouble getting the balance right with that though wouldn't they? Perhaps they should forgo the back seats and push the cab back further. Or give it a rear mounted gearbox to try and even the weight out a bit.

To me though, the Supra has always been something to beat V8s in extreme style. It has less cylinders, is about the same weight if not heavier than an 8, has less displacement and still fries them. I think they should stick with the inline 6. But then, I'm not an engineer.
Apollo
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: New Supra...Start Saving..... Sun, 11 January 2004 03:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
But based on how they screwed up with the matrix, (and it's not even out yet), I'd think it would be safe to say that if they ever made a mk5, the mk4 would be the pinnacle of supra perfection. Smile Because they'd screw something up that should be so obvious like having a 6 speed box only on the non-turbo version or something else stupid like that.

BTW, I absolutly LOATH that rear end in that picture. I really really really HATE clear lenses. Factory ones even moreso. I'd be the guy looking for an oem solid colour lens to replace that hunk of junk.
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: New Supra...Start Saving..... Sun, 11 January 2004 04:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I like clear lenses.
But other than that, I agree with you. The designers would do something really stupid and make the Supra suck.

To appeal to the "wanker" factor (the people who buy these cars) they should probably go with something that has a little more room in the back, but not give them too many options...

Toyota Mark 5 Supra
Engine:
Name: 3JZ-GE VVT-i
Induction: Cold Air charge, Natural Aspiration
Power: 200kw
Torque: 350nm
Displacement: 3.3 liters

Gearbox
Manual 6 speed, Automatic clutch, Sequential shift
Automatic 5 speed, Similar design to Manual box, making it easy to swap the manual box in later on if desired. Wink

Interior
Cloth seats, optional Leather interior

Exterior and weights
Curb weight: 1400kg
Sunroof optional
Distribution: 50/50

Toyota Mark 5 Supra Turbo
Engine:
Name: 3JZ-GTE VVT-i
Induction: Intercooled Twin Turbo, cold air
Power: 260kw (capped to 209 in Japan)
Torque: 460nm

Gearbox

Interior
Leather interior

Exterior and weights
Curb weight: 1500kg
Sunroof optional
Distribution: 52/48

Toyota Mark 5 Supra Sportivo
Engine:
Name: 3JZ-GTE VVT-i
Induction: Intercooled Twin Turbo, cold air
Power: 280kw (capped to 209 in Japan)
Torque: 490nm

Gearbox

Interior
Suede interior, racing bucket seats (recaro)

Exterior and weights
Curb weight: 1400kg (many lightweight parts used)
Bodykit: Spoiler, skirts, front bar
Sunroof optional, targa top optional
Distribution: 50/50
speakafreaka
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: New Supra...Start Saving..... Sun, 11 January 2004 06:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
like i said, they wont be using a JZ as nearly all jap manufactures are moving away from flat/inline sixes for the bent variety. The new engine will be so much better you wont even worry about it. live with it Surprised
Look at the difference to the previous flagship engine, the 7M-GTE to the 2JZ-GTE. I would be too worried.

oh and btw.. the "gentlemens" agreement isnt around in japan since nissan released the NUR R34. There hasnt been any other new jap supercars since that was released, so thats why it hasnt been that noticeable.
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: New Supra...Start Saving..... Sun, 11 January 2004 13:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I much prefer inline engines to V config... I dunno why.
speakafreaka
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: New Supra...Start Saving..... Sun, 11 January 2004 13:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
?
because of the word inline?

dude, you could have at least lied and made up some reason Confused
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: New Supra...Start Saving..... Sun, 11 January 2004 13:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ummm... could be. Very Happy
V6 kinda reminds me to much of Commodore engines. Other than that... I dunno. I just have a better feeling about inline 6 engines.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: New Supra...Start Saving..... Sun, 11 January 2004 15:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It could be a Commodore connection, but you're probably just attached to the heritage and the smoothness...
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: New Supra...Start Saving..... Sun, 11 January 2004 15:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mmmm... creamy smooth inline 6.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: New Supra...Start Saving..... Sun, 11 January 2004 23:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Inline sixes are naturally better balanced than V6's. The V6 only exists because of packaging efficiency. Most of the best performance sixes in the world have been an inline configuration: think 1JZ/2JZ, RB26, BMW M3, even Jags back in the day. The only outstanding V6 I can think of is the Honda NSX engine.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: New Supra...Start Saving..... Sun, 11 January 2004 23:36 Go to previous message
Then again, isn't a 90 degree V8 naturally balanced as well? Wink
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:FLAMING STOCKER
Next Topic:White AE92 Rolla
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 4 10:48:25 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.009605884552002 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.