Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
wagonist
Forums Junkie

Toymods Club Treasurer

May 2002
Toyota V6 engines for conversions Fri, 09 January 2004 12:12 Go to next message
Now that I'm confirmed to get a company car, it's time to unleash the beast & get some grunt to match the looks.

Thinking about doing a 3L V6 conversion but I'd like to find out some info first.

I have a mate with this in his 98 Camry, so measuring it up is the first step I'm going to make.

But I'd like to know info about the specs first.

Any ideas about how strong these motors are? Bearing in mind that forced induction may be added either later or during the conversion.

Can the stock management that came with these be rechipped, tweaked, etc & how is airflow measured? Again possibly to cope with forced induction later.
Could engine management from 1jZ or 2jz be adapted to run this engine?

Were any V6 Camry's available with 4wd? I'd much rather be trying to fry all 4 wheels rather than 2.

Any help would be appreciated.

Send a private message to this user    
._T_.
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Toyota V6 engines for conversions Fri, 09 January 2004 23:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1mz is the current all alloy v6 - basically a 1uz minus 2 cylinders. not as strong as the 1uz, & far more expensive!!

i have not tested it yet (due to mot having a motor) but apparently the 3sge tranny will mate up to the 1mz (i actually doubt it, but you never know)

camry altrack in the US was 4x4 - basically same setup as a rav4/caldina - n/a of course.

T
wagonist
Forums Junkie

Toymods Club Treasurer

May 2002
Re: Toyota V6 engines for conversions Sat, 10 January 2004 02:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What's the 3.0L V6 called?
i heard that the manual gearbox on the V6 Camry was the GT4 one minus the transfer case.
Soarer
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Toyota V6 engines for conversions Sat, 10 January 2004 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The 3.0L V6 Camry engine is the 1MZ-FE.
Expect to pay around $7k for a new one from Toyota Razz
I'm sure there are plenty of wrecked Camrys around though.
speakafreaka
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Toyota V6 engines for conversions Sat, 10 January 2004 10:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
why not look into the 4wd 1JZ-GE's used in the JZX93 chaser/mark II/cresta's

it would be a good option, im not sure how you'd go shoehorning it in to your car.. but hey, it may be worth the challenge! Very Happy

plus it was released in 94, so you may be able to pick up a half cut a bit cheaper than the 1MZ's due to its age.

http://www.alljapanesecars.com/viewcr.php3?mk=Toyo ta&md=Mark%20II&yr=1994&mc=JZX93 theres a start, have a look into it Wink
wagonist
Forums Junkie

Toymods Club Treasurer

May 2002
Re: Toyota V6 engines for conversions Sun, 11 January 2004 04:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Problems is my car currently has an east-west engine, & no amount of shoehorning is going to fit an inline six north-south. Not unless I mount it in the back. Razz
Can't even fit an inline 4 north-south cause the heater box is in the way where the gearbox would sit.
Thanks for the thought anyway.
I'm kind of looking at something different to the 3S-GTE (Toyota did this with the next model of my car), so it's not really original.
7M-Brisbane
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Toyota V6 engines for conversions Sun, 11 January 2004 05:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A few short words:

Trendsetting costs money

If the 3SGTE was available in the next model of your car, then it is probably not TOO hard a conversion.

Quote:

Could engine management from 1jZ or 2jz be adapted to run this engine

Absolutely not.

[Updated on: Sun, 11 January 2004 05:27]

wagonist
Forums Junkie

Toymods Club Treasurer

May 2002
Re: Toyota V6 engines for conversions Mon, 12 January 2004 02:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The 3S-GTE is a boltin as my car was available with a 3S-GE with 4wd.
OK it's an easy one & there are stuff all Caldinas in Oz, let alone turbo ones (I know of one converted on the Gold Coast).

I believe the V6 should pretty much be a boltin too though (engine bay room needs to be checked first).

I'm just sussing ideas at the moment to shoot them down if there's going to be problems.

What's the reason that the inline 6's engine management couldn't be adapted to the V6? More tuning parts are available like Power FC's, etc & they're already programmed for forced induction if I decide to turbo the 1MZ.
There is a bolton TRD supercharger for the 1MZ at $6000 Shocked

I also wouldn't mind seeing people's faces as they hear a smallish car whoosh a blow off valve & have a V6 badge on the back. Evil or Very Mad
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Toyota V6 engines for conversions Mon, 12 January 2004 03:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wagonist wrote on Mon, 12 January 2004 13:31

I also wouldn't mind seeing people's faces as they hear a smallish car whoosh a blow off valve & have a V6 badge on the back. Evil or Very Mad

supercharges dont use a BOV
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Toyota V6 engines for conversions Mon, 12 January 2004 03:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have heard s/c's with bov's
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Toyota V6 engines for conversions Mon, 12 January 2004 03:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Toyota's GZE engines don't because of the location of the TB, but I'd say the TRD one would be mounted before the TB thus requiring a BOV.
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Toyota V6 engines for conversions Mon, 12 January 2004 03:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i would imagine a SC on a v6 would just sit in the valley (rootes style) and would have its own t/b

would be one hell of a goofy setup using the stock manifold and tb with a SC dangling off the side somewhere
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Toyota V6 engines for conversions Mon, 12 January 2004 03:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't know the particular's of the setup and was just pointing out that not ALL supercharger setups have no BOV. Having it it in the valley doesn't allow for intercooling either does it?
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Toyota V6 engines for conversions Mon, 12 January 2004 03:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
true true...

ill limit my comment to rootes style and other 'bolts-directly-to-the-head' SC's then...
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Toyota V6 engines for conversions Mon, 12 January 2004 03:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1mzfe SC:

bolts directly to the head/manifold and compressor is post t/b...

http://www.trdusa.com/TRDSupercharger/Images/home_feature_30.gif
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Toyota V6 engines for conversions Mon, 12 January 2004 03:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dammit!!!! why dont they make one for the 2j!
wagonist
Forums Junkie

Toymods Club Treasurer

May 2002
Re: Toyota V6 engines for conversions Mon, 12 January 2004 04:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Problem is the cost, and it only adds about 20kW Confused
I was thinking more of a custom turbo arrangement.
Anyone have any ideas of a cost for this?
I've seen a HKS turbo kit for the FTO where it adds a pipe from where the 2 halves meet then goes up into the engine bay to mount the turbo above the gearbox. So thinking along these lines.

Would the 1MZ handle this?
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Toyota V6 engines for conversions Mon, 12 January 2004 04:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wagonist wrote on Mon, 12 January 2004 12:18

Problem is the cost, and it only adds about 20kW

You sure?
coz the TRD 1UZ s/c add about 80ish kW, and thats only at 4pounds boost
onejayzed
Regular

September 2003
Re: Toyota V6 engines for conversions Mon, 12 January 2004 05:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i'd like to see an East-West 1UZFE....hint hint.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Toyota V6 engines for conversions Mon, 12 January 2004 05:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You got the problem of mating a gbox to it, and then if you successfully do that, you've got the problem of getting one that can handle the torque
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Toyota V6 engines for conversions Mon, 12 January 2004 05:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well, not toyota and maybe not related much, but there are Mini's with FWD east-west mounted 4L Rover motor with an "Austin Princess gearbox", complete with "Beer keg" fuel tank, and powered by a Megasquirt....

Quote:

Welcome to..."The Roughest V8Mini Deathtrap In The World"*

http://www.spagweb.com/v8mini/

it's all totally wrong Wink, but if you can fit a Rover V8 in a mini, surely you could stuff a 1UZ into a caldina???

Cya, Stewart
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Toyota V6 engines for conversions Mon, 12 January 2004 06:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmmm, good point, there is a mini in QLD that someone is putting a 4.4L P76 V8 into, most of it hangs past the nose too!!

http://www.miniman.com.au/image/blackbeastnV83.jpg
wagonist
Forums Junkie

Toymods Club Treasurer

May 2002
Re: Toyota V6 engines for conversions Tue, 13 January 2004 00:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, but I bet the mini has a custom flip front & is not roadworthy.
Plus I'd still like the A/C, power steering & too be able to go around corners without using the handbrake! Laughing

The 1UZ has an extra litre capacity plus 2 extra cylinders.
The TRD supercharger for the 5VZ-FE 3.4L V6 from current Prados, etc develops an extra 75HP (56kW) & extra 104Nm, so I'd expect that 3.0L would be slightly less.

What are the stock figures for a 1MZ?
isaac
Regular

March 2003
Re: Toyota V6 engines for conversions Tue, 13 January 2004 01:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://celica.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_t opic;f=31;t=009534

When i finally save a bit of dosh, i am thinking of doing this. Some guy in the US has swapped his 5SFE in his 1990 celica for a 1mzfe and he tells how how he did it and what the power is like now. I think it's better than a 3sgte because it's more reliable (less stuff to go wrong), is a newer engine, has less chance of being thrashed by a previous owner and is different. Of course this is alot more expensive and time consuming than a 3sgte job, so it depends what you are looking for. I think the V6 torque off the line would be sweet Razz
fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Toyota V6 engines for conversions Tue, 13 January 2004 01:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey man, that mini kicks ass! Laughing

Good for summernats burnout comp Smile
wagonist
Forums Junkie

Toymods Club Treasurer

May 2002
Re: Toyota V6 engines for conversions Tue, 13 January 2004 04:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Isaac, thanks for the link.
There was a heap of info.
Looks damn neat when finished.
leasaunce
Occasional Poster

September 2005
Re: Toyota V6 engines for conversions Tue, 13 December 2005 04:31 Go to previous message
if you're going to put the TRD S/C you need to relocate the Brake booster to the other side.

also sadly CAPA.com.au dont sell them anymore. They have been discontinued since last year. also if you put the TRD S/C you will get crap milage.

in JAPAN they've got the GEN4 Camry 4WD and with a REAR wiper Laughing
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Excess Boost Noise out of Pod Filter - Vehicle Examination Failed
Next Topic:2tg from ta23 into ra23 (currently with 18rc)
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 19:43:59 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0082600116729736 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.