Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Track Talk » another trip out defect :)

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
SetMeFree
Forums Junkie

December 2003
another trip out defect :) Mon, 12 January 2004 03:55 Go to next message
ok now......... i think i came up with this after 6 cones Razz
Now can some 1 explain to me why gauges on the A-Pillar and gauges on the dash are illegal? ok they say that there defects because they block your vision and if you have a accident you could hurt yourself from gauges on the pillar...... Right? Now explain to me why police officers have a shitload of gadjets in the same places that we would put our gauges. Oh and lets not forget the taxi drivers with there gizmos hanging off there pillars..... i asked a police officer the same question when i was gettin defected in my corolla for having gauges on the pillar.... in frustration the officer replied "police cars and taxis are modified vehicles" i smiled back and simply said "so is mine"
  Send a private message to this user    
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: another trip out defect :) Mon, 12 January 2004 04:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

"police cars and taxis are modified vehicles" i smiled back and simply said "so is mine"

lol good one mate Very Happy
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: another trip out defect :) Mon, 12 January 2004 05:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you can have them on the a-pillar as long as they dont obstruct your vision.
lang
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: another trip out defect :) Mon, 12 January 2004 05:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i duno some of the ones ive seen i wouldnt want in my car incase you hit your head on them in an accident, especially if you dont allways wear your seatbelt. if police dont mind ending up with instrumentation lodged in their skull then i have no issues with that, just put the gagues in the dash or on top of it in the center

my guages are in my air vents and that works fine, the small downside is you cant direct the flow of air anymore cos all the slats have been removed

[Updated on: Mon, 12 January 2004 05:24]

NickAE86
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: another trip out defect :) Mon, 12 January 2004 06:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
afaik cops arent big fans of gauges inside cars due to, for example, you oil pressure gague failing/falling off and oil squirting into your face....im not sure if all gauges now have that valve on them that stops it from happening but it could be an idea *shrugs* im only guessing
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: another trip out defect :) Mon, 12 January 2004 06:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think it's illegal to have mechanical oil guages with the lines in your cabin anyhow
coronamark2
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: another trip out defect :) Mon, 12 January 2004 07:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
really Embarassed
what about mechanicl oil and water gauges Evil or Very Mad

In the words of NWA "fuck the police"
Rolla Boy
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002
Re: another trip out defect :) Mon, 12 January 2004 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think that guages on the a pillars can be legal if they are in pods that are incorperated in the pillar trim...

You can buy a pillar trims from Autometer... Not too sure what cars they are for, but I have seen them around... I guess that'd be the only way that it would be legal...

And as for crap in the middle of the dash, it's stupid anywayz... But I don't see how a tacho or a smaller guage the in bottom corner could be blocking vision...

And if modified vehicles can be defected for crap on the dash, well start defecting gook cars with all there little bouncing toys on the dash and shit...

And for everyone that wants to see bullshit fines and defects, watch A Current Affair on Channel 9 on Tuesday the 13th January at 6:30pm... Supposed to be good from the ads...
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: another trip out defect :) Mon, 12 January 2004 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
In WA you're allowed them providing they basically don't come above the height of the highest point in the dash.
Lucid
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Toymods Club Secretary

May 2002
Re: another trip out defect :) Mon, 12 January 2004 09:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Also - Does it have something to do with not being allowed to have lit objects mounted above the dash? (or highest factory location that a light was mounted at on the dash? something like that anyway..)
speakafreaka
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: another trip out defect :) Mon, 12 January 2004 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rolla Boy wrote on Mon, 12 January 2004 19:41

I
And for everyone that wants to see bullshit fines and defects, watch A Current Affair on Channel 9 on Tuesday the 13th January at 6:30pm... Supposed to be good from the ads...

no.. that show makes me too angry. my therapist told me not to watch it anymore. Freak
SetMeFree
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: another trip out defect :) Mon, 12 January 2004 17:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ummmm rightio now people ive done my homework in NSW as i have recieved over $4000 in defect fines and anything on the a-pillar which is not stock is illegal and anything above the steering wheel/dash is illegal thats why you cant have gauges on the pillar or dash now hold on some one tell me why in the world isnt them annoying toys people put on there dash defectable........
bman
Regular

November 2003
Re: another trip out defect :) Mon, 12 January 2004 20:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

I think it's illegal to have mechanical oil guages with the lines in your cabin anyhow

recently sold my gf's ek holden, that had aftermaket oil pressure guage inside the car, no problems with RWC. this is in victoria however.
walu
Regular

December 2003
Re: another trip out defect :) Mon, 12 January 2004 21:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Has anyone ever see the crash videos taken at the NRMA crash labs. At 60km/hr, full frontal and drivers side impacts, the drivers head nearly always hit the steer wheel. Begs the question why sports steering wheels with flat steel (ie most of them)are not required to have centre pads on them. Fine if you are a race car with harness seat belts.

Another disturbing occurence is the hands coming off the steering wheel and impacting the dash. NO choice, that is just momentum.

In a real life accident, there can be a real danger of impacting some of those A pillar gauges etc - and that is gong to make one hell of a mess of your face.

As for the Police and taxis - I'd rather not be them in a big hit.

Oh, and another thing...in a quick stop accident above 35km/hr (ie hit a tree etc and come to a stop very quickly, even with crumple zones) it is supposed to be nearly impossible to hold onto something in your lap. So that baby I saw being carried in the womans lap, while the car was doing 60km/hr would make its way through the windscreen and skid its little butt along the asphalt in the event of an accident.
walu
Regular

December 2003
Re: another trip out defect :) Mon, 12 January 2004 21:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry peoples, don't mean to be negative. I had once been involved in some research and my brother was in a big hit. Everything is fine, until the s..t hits the fan.

Incidentally, my brothers hit was in a KE20, drivers side impact that folded the car around him. Seat belt (original) looked in good condition before the accident, no fraying etc - the lower stitching snapped and his face impacted the windscreen. So my experience is that if you still have the original seat belts in your KE20/30 etc - get new or newer ones for them.

speakafreaka
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: another trip out defect :) Tue, 13 January 2004 09:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TryUrLuk wrote on Tue, 13 January 2004 04:08

ummmm rightio now people ive done my homework in NSW as i have recieved over $4000 in defect fines and anything on the a-pillar which is not stock is illegal and anything above the steering wheel/dash is illegal thats why you cant have gauges on the pillar or dash now hold on some one tell me why in the world isnt them annoying toys people put on there dash defectable........

because the cops dont like you.

its defectable, its dangerous, and they are advising you to do it for your safety.

theres din mounts that hold 3 gagues.. and i made my own mount

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~soopfly/gaguelocation.JPG

i'd rather not have something somewhere i could smack my head into, and in clear view to be a target for a smash and grab.
SetMeFree
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: another trip out defect :) Thu, 15 January 2004 06:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well of course they dont like me derrrrr i own cars they wish they had wen they were on there P`s Razz ritio now to the fact of safety if i believe its safe then its safe and the 3 gauge holder that sits on your a - pillar is also defectable ive coped that in my old wrx and for the fact of smash and grab then its my loss isnt it? oh and let me think a lowered car is defectable....... why? because of handling isnt it true that custom springs and suspension are there to make handling better
speakafreaka
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: another trip out defect :) Thu, 15 January 2004 11:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TryUrLuk wrote on Thu, 15 January 2004 17:58

if i believe its safe then its safe

i think you should step out of your immaturity, ring around some rtas and find out the exact reason why Confused
SetMeFree
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: another trip out defect :) Thu, 15 January 2004 15:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
buddy im a mechanic and im rta approved to do blue slips/pink slis defect clearence and engineers certificates so i think i know what safe and whats not and the reasons why.... some reasons are just outright stupid
speakafreaka
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: another trip out defect :) Fri, 16 January 2004 09:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what a coincedence!
where in sydney are you located? i need an engineering cert and a blue slip at the moment!
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: another trip out defect :) Sat, 17 January 2004 10:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TryUrLuk wrote on Fri, 16 January 2004 02:40

buddy im a mechanic and im rta approved to do blue slips/pink slis defect clearence and engineers certificates so i think i know what safe and whats not and the reasons why.... some reasons are just outright stupid

so way are you bandying all this around when you've obviously read the phrase "nothing is to be mounted on the crash pad" - and for a very bloody sensible reason??
SetMeFree
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: another trip out defect :) Sat, 17 January 2004 16:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey dude dont get your knickers into a knot i just reckon that it should be allowed dont go and toot your horn over nothing
speakafreaka
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: another trip out defect :) Sat, 17 January 2004 16:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i still wanna know if youre going to do my blueslip and engineering mr lenient
SetMeFree
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: another trip out defect :) Sun, 18 January 2004 04:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
who me? 0415 741 427 if u want em dun my names ahmed :0)
Camry_omega
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: another trip out defect :) Sun, 18 January 2004 05:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wow i didn't know it was illegal to have guages on the A pillar and such, what about the guages on the outside of the car?
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: another trip out defect :) Sun, 18 January 2004 05:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok as long as they dont obsure vision from all seating positions to a point 11m in front of the car

(from what i understand anyway)
Lucid
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Toymods Club Secretary

May 2002
Re: another trip out defect :) Sun, 18 January 2004 07:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ed_ma61 wrote on Sun, 18 January 2004 16:05

ok as long as they dont obsure vision from all seating positions to a point 11m in front of the car

(from what i understand anyway)

Aren't any external gauges classed as dangerous due to the possibility of being in the impact zone of a pedestrian (if you were to knock one down that is).
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: another trip out defect :) Sun, 18 January 2004 10:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok, that too... the gauage's leading edge must not be higher than the midpoint of an x sized disc rolled up the bonnet (cant remeber the dia) thus not being dnagerous to pedestrians etc
SetMeFree
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: another trip out defect :) Sun, 18 January 2004 14:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its illegal FULLSTOP to have any aftermarket gauges placed on the bonnet and up the a - pillar or on top of the dashboard
Chaser
Newcomer

September 2003
Re: another trip out defect :) Sun, 25 January 2004 11:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The disc diameter is 100mm.
It is ok to have gauges outside so long as there are no sharp edges, or protrusions (ie: connections) that would pose further risk to pedestrians upon an impact. It is illegal to have any reflective/mirror type surface which may distract other motorists, ie: chrome gauge cups.
Why would you want 'em outside anyway? Look like a riceboy...
TryUrLuck.. I understand you are Eng Signatory, you should know this.
I keep copies of NSW RTA Guidelines for modifications of light vehicles, and copies of ADR's with me all the time.

"A-Pillar" gauges are illegal, in a pod or not.
This is why the "FACTORY" boost gauge in S15's, mounted on the A-pillar, was removed for all Aus delivered cars..
Nothing may be mounted anywhere in the drivers line-of-sight, and no modifications may be made to the absorbant crash pad material on the dash, including the mounting of ancillary additions, such as gauges.

Mechanical reference type gauges are not permitted inside the occupant area of a vehicle. IE: no mech boost, oil, water meters, etc. Due, of course, to safety.

Some of the rulings are laughable, and the reasons behind them debatable, as TryUrLuck mentioned..
EG: gauges on bonnet- who cares? If you've hit someone, in most cases its a trip to hospital anyway, at least..
FFS, they just been hit by a CAR!
T APLUS 22
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: another trip out defect :) Sun, 25 January 2004 14:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so put crumple zones into your external guages. That should prevent the pedestrian from, from...from, Oh chipping a tooth, leaving them with the broken jaw instead.
Camry_omega
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: another trip out defect :) Mon, 26 January 2004 06:26 Go to previous message
and put airbags on internal ones?
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:corona vs calibra
Next Topic:HSV VX XU6 vs. 4agze mr2
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 12:22:16 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.009227991104126 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.