Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 1JZ Boost gone AWOL-help!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
supra1jz
Regular

October 2003
icon9.gif  1JZ Boost gone AWOL-help! Fri, 26 December 2003 01:55 Go to next message
The 1jz has a big fmic and 3" zorst. I have a Haltech and boost control from Haltech to run at 14psi. Last few days I can only get 6psi and I've made no changes. I've checked the i/c piping it's all tight. Suggestions?????? Nothing too complicated guys 'cos I'm a mechanical retard. Is maybe only one turbo working??? It doesn't blow smoke or anything so I don't think I've blown a turbo. Any help would be appreciated. BTW the car still runs fine, just won't GO.
Rich
  Send a private message to this user    
7M-Brisbane
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: 1JZ Boost gone AWOL-help! Fri, 26 December 2003 03:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sounds like you'd dropped an exhaust wheel off one of your turbos. Only way to check is pull it all apart...
wastegate
Regular

May 2002

Re: 1JZ Boost gone AWOL-help! Fri, 26 December 2003 05:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As 7M-Brisbane (or 1JZ-Corona) has said it sounds like one of the turbos has started to come apart. Well bits of the wheel anyway. The CT12A is a POS. Also a POS job to check unless you have a endoscope to put in though the OS Sensor housing.
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 1JZ Boost gone AWOL-help! Fri, 26 December 2003 08:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
14psi is supposably not that much for the 1jz. Oh that was for the 2nd gen engine wasn't it?

Is your engine a 1st gen or 2nd gen twin turbo 1jz?
hz383
Newcomer

December 2003
Re: 1JZ Boost gone AWOL-help! Fri, 26 December 2003 09:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I havent had much experience with toyota turbos but I can tell you what I do to check the ones I work on. Generally speaking an impellor(intake) or turbine(exhaust) wheel failure is caused from a failing thrust washer, it is a pretty simple job to check. Remove the intake from the turbos and try to move the wheel back and forth, prolly about .003" end float is plenty. Do not be to concerned about up and down movement as the shaft floats on oil. If you can get the wheel to touch the housing at all it is a good sign that it is stuffed. Hope this helps.
pimp1j
Regular

November 2003
Re: 1JZ Boost gone AWOL-help! Fri, 26 December 2003 16:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Check you havn't split the rubber joiner that is above the turbos in the middle. Its hard to spot if u have but that will cause this problem.

HedgehogSandwich
Regular

May 2002
Re: 1JZ Boost gone AWOL-help! Sat, 27 December 2003 16:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bassaholic55 wrote on Fri, 26 December 2003 08:04

14psi is supposably not that much for the 1jz. Oh that was for the 2nd gen engine wasn't it?

Is your engine a 1st gen or 2nd gen twin turbo 1jz?

14 psi is the agreed limit of the turbos, so althoughits not a great amount for the engine, it is for the turbos.

All this 1st and 2nd gen stuff is daft.. all it is a valve and a rubber pipe, hardly a major engine overhaul, yet for some reason everyones making a big deal of it.
All that happened with the valve is that it became obsolete, so they put the new design in.. there was nothing wrong with the old model valve, its just that toyota dont stock it anymore so you have to use the new universal valve.
speakafreaka
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 1JZ Boost gone AWOL-help! Sat, 27 December 2003 16:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
are the turbos revised in anyway (like the different 1G ct12's)?
7M-Brisbane
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: 1JZ Boost gone AWOL-help! Sat, 27 December 2003 16:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
"All this 1st and 2nd gen stuff is daft"

Congratulations young Jedi, you have passed the test.
HedgehogSandwich
Regular

May 2002
Re: 1JZ Boost gone AWOL-help! Sat, 27 December 2003 19:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Very Happy speakafreaka.. as i said above all the changes are is a couple of very minor mods with tubing and a valve. Nothing to do with turbos, mapping, cams blah blah.. both 'generations' are exactly the same.
JZK25
Occasional Poster

July 2003
Re: 1JZ Boost gone AWOL-help! Sun, 28 December 2003 01:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'd say your boost control solenoid is more likely the problem, if the solenoid doesn't operate the boost remains at the wastegate spring pressure which is around 6 psi. Put a simple bleed in to confirm that is the problem, and if it is, replace the solenoid.
Manny
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1JZ Boost gone AWOL-help! Sun, 28 December 2003 02:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HedgehogSandwich wrote on Sun, 28 December 2003 03:26

All this 1st and 2nd gen stuff is daft.. all it is a valve and a rubber pipe, hardly a major engine overhaul, yet for some reason everyones making a big deal of it.

Here, here... nothing more than yank hype IMHO Laughing
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: 1JZ Boost gone AWOL-help! Sun, 28 December 2003 23:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JZK25 wrote on Sun, 28 December 2003 09:05

I'd say your boost control solenoid is more likely the problem, if the solenoid doesn't operate the boost remains at the wastegate spring pressure which is around 6 psi. Put a simple bleed in to confirm that is the problem, and if it is, replace the solenoid.

No that wouldnt be the problem, if he has a FMIC and 3" zorst the wastegates would be opening at pressure greater than 10 psi AFAIK.
supra1jz
Regular

October 2003
Re: 1JZ Boost gone AWOL-help! Mon, 29 December 2003 04:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I still can't find the problem and I'm as sure as I can be that it's not a blown turbo. It looks like I'll be heading for some professional help tomorrow(mechanically, not mentally, though god knows I think I need it Razz ) I just hope I'm rightand it's not a blown turbo! Anyone got a cheap ct12a???????
Rich
speakafreaka
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 1JZ Boost gone AWOL-help! Mon, 29 December 2003 06:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if it is, think of it as a good opportunity to get rid of them and make more powah!
supra1jz
Regular

October 2003
Re: 1JZ Boost gone AWOL-SOLVED!!!!!!! Mon, 12 January 2004 06:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well guys after all the advice and stuff I started pulling the turbos off after I'd bought a couple of new ones(thanks Roland)and it wasn't the turbos after all. It turns out that the cat converter had collapsed and was choking the hell out of the engine! I have guttted the cat now and put it back in and the car is going off!!! It is a lot noisier with the cat's 'guts' removed but at least I have my power back and I guess I now have two spare ct12a's just in case. This may be the time to see what these little suckers will really take!!! Anyway I'm as happy as Larry the car is fixed so I thought I'd let you know what the problem was and it's one more thing to check BEFORE you start pulling turbo's off. Very Happy
Rich
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 1JZ Boost gone AWOL-help! Mon, 12 January 2004 06:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
good to hear mate!

does you car smell noticably different without the cat doing its job?
supra1jz
Regular

October 2003
Re: 1JZ Boost gone AWOL-help! Mon, 12 January 2004 06:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
F*ckin cat wasn't DOING it's job was it!!! Bloody thing was only about 1 year old, don't buy cat converters from magnaflow is all I can say. Muffler from there is alright though I must admit.
speakafreaka
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 1JZ Boost gone AWOL-help! Mon, 12 January 2004 07:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im surprised it didnt just blow the guts out the back.. thats what happened to mine (7 hours after buying the car):

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~soopfly/Blown%20Cat.jpg

man it sounded good, and highly illegal.
MR PLOW
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: 1JZ Boost gone AWOL-help! Mon, 12 January 2004 10:36 Go to previous message
should have givin every detail as i have seen it on a few car the cat splits in two but not all the way so as you said the car wont go the exhaust noise should have gotten quieter as im sure youve got a system on it oh well now you know what was wrong. professional help is always best in the end its what we do all day.

my 2.5cents

brad

ps not tyring to be a dick or anything by it

[Updated on: Mon, 12 January 2004 10:37]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Axle tramp on ae86
Next Topic:Close call...a message to 7m owners!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 7 07:42:25 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0057199001312256 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.