Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Got my supra and some probs...

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Layoric
Regular

August 2003

icon8.gif  Got my supra and some probs... Mon, 12 January 2004 07:40 Go to next message
Ok, these are probably real newbie questions, but yeah, i don't know that much about how supra's work. It was running fine the first few days i was here and i just tried to start it now and well, it doesn't. The starter motor sounds like it's trying to start (a click), but seems like it hasn't got enough juice, which is highly unlikely since the battery is like 3 days old. I haven't trying jumping it, but i'm pretty sure it would start straight away if i could just get it to crank over. The engine light is permantanly on with my accessories, is that normal? i'm not sure if it was doing it before or not.

WORST thing about this is tomorrow morning i have organised a 2 hour permit to get rego checked and i just got back from organising that and now she won't start... The thing has a stupid alarm system (dunno about immobiliser, but maybe something to do with that? i tried un plugging the battery and then trying to start it, but no go. Any help would be really good, and if you have any idea's between now and tomorrow morning that would help HEAPS, thank you.

PS. it's Mark 3 1987 NA.

Layoric.

[Updated on: Mon, 12 January 2004 08:03]

Send a private message to this user    
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Got my supra and some probs... Mon, 12 January 2004 08:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
try hitting the starter motor with a hammer (jammed throw out solenoid).

thats assuming the engine isnt turning over at all, but making 'click click' noises when you try
Layoric
Regular

August 2003

Re: Got my supra and some probs... Mon, 12 January 2004 08:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, just a single click each time though, really not sure, i'll try the hammer (heavy screw driver) trick for a bit, thanks.

Layoric.
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Got my supra and some probs... Mon, 12 January 2004 08:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no no.... hammer Nod

it can take a bit of a wallaop to dislodge a stuck solenoid.

a piece of wood resting on the starter, and belting the end of the wood is one way to get at it easily
Layoric
Regular

August 2003

Re: Got my supra and some probs... Mon, 12 January 2004 08:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ahh i see, well, i would try that ( as i just did) but i went outside of my friends place (where i'm staying till i find my own) and i bonnet cable decided to not be able to open the bonnet any more... i can see the spring, i think, through the grill, but have nothing to reach it with at the moment, i have none of my tools or anything cause i just got here, i swear i have the worst luck in the world..

@#$^*.

[Updated on: Mon, 12 January 2004 08:26]

dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Got my supra and some probs... Mon, 12 January 2004 09:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You gotta make sure your battery terminals are connected properly! make sure there on really tight and cant move. They might be corroded if so clean them with sand paper.
The amount of power draw from starting is heaps, and a crappy connection to the battery will do that.
trent_kershaw
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: Got my supra and some probs... Tue, 13 January 2004 07:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maybe the cable has managed to dislodge itself from the starter motor?
Rattlehead
Regular

May 2002
Re: Got my supra and some probs... Tue, 13 January 2004 07:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If it's an auto...make sure in properly in park.

This happened the day I got my car back form getting an alarm fitted...wasn't properly in P. So I rang the car alarm guy and cracked it. Then I went back to the car and realised it was halfway between R and P.

But yeh, I'm guessing ur problems are different...
RA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Got my supra and some probs... Tue, 13 January 2004 07:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You sure the battery isn't flat?

sorry but it's often the stupid things.

Tim
sleeker162
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Got my supra and some probs... Tue, 13 January 2004 08:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my celica does the exact same, i find after i have turned the key and it clicks keep it turned for another few seconds and it'll kick over, my celica stopped doin this when i cleaned / replaced terminals
Layoric
Regular

August 2003

Re: Got my supra and some probs... Tue, 13 January 2004 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ended up fixing the bonnet cable and just bashed the crap out of starter motor and presto, she started, thanks guys, much appreciated! Smiley =

I know it's a NA Auto, but it seems to really stop pulling after about 4k, only done it like 3 times, but yeah really just seems to make a fair bit of noise and not pull much at all, i think possiblely the timing belt hasn't been changed in a while, i'm gunna take it into some one soon to give it a good once over and just see what smalls things could be done. I have no record of the timing belt being changed, so thats a bit of a worry.

Layoric.
jackel
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: Got my supra and some probs... Tue, 13 January 2004 14:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah my corona wouldn't start and all my friend go it's the starter motor it's the starter motor so spent all the time taking the starter motor out (was being a tight bitch) then find nothing wrong with it Confused

kicked there asses, then my roommates brother comes over hes a desile mechanic and tells me it's the battery, 10 minutes later find out it's the battery... somehow i "fried" it.

so next day i gets a $40 battery from repco and first time she starts up Very Happy
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Got my supra and some probs... Tue, 13 January 2004 14:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My dad and I have heavy objects like a hammer or tyre iron for bashing starter motors... I've never had to use mine but Mum recounts Dad crawling under their Kombi every time they needed to start the car as they travelled around Europe back in the 70's. Laughing
hobbs
Regular

October 2002
Re: Got my supra and some probs... Wed, 14 January 2004 05:40 Go to previous message
Layoric-
i've had the same starting problems with my MA70 (w/7mgte) ever since i got it a year ago. I've replaced/charged battery and starter motor and it was still doing it. (at the most inconvenient times too, like when you are all packed up ready to go on holidays!!)

Eventually the auto-electrician i took it to installed a relay to make sure sufficient current was getting to the starter motor solenoid, he claimed my alarm system was drawing too much current away from it or something. Anyway, since then it has started first time every time. It didn't cost much either.

The solenoids on those starter motors are notorious for being dodgy and getting stuck. Apparently when starter motors are reconditioned, the motor itself is reconditioned but they rarely do much for the solenoids, hence why people who replace the starter motor continue to have the same problem. I've also heard that one of the two wires going to the starter motor is known to wear and cause similar problems.
for more info check www.supraforums.com

hobbs
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:rims for front of sprinter
Next Topic:EBAY - 5HRS LEFT - Toyota manual
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 11 23:33:41 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0058350563049316 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.