Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Oil pressure in 4AGE Mon, 12 January 2004 13:09 Go to next message
Looking at buying an oil pressure gauge for a 4AGE engine, am currently looking at the VDO range. They have one rated to 5 bar, and one rated to 10 bar, which would be more appropriate?

Send a private message to this user    
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: Oil pressure in 4AGE Mon, 12 January 2004 17:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fook, not sure here but my autometer on my 4AGE goes from 0-100psi.

if 1 bar = 14.7 psi, then 5 bar might be enough. (73.5psi?)
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Oil pressure in 4AGE Mon, 12 January 2004 21:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmm... According to my converter program thing 5 bar is 72.52psi, and according to 4AGE book oil pressure at 3000RPM (normal operating temperature) is 35.6-71.1psi...

I wonder if it goes higher than that at other temperatures or other RPM? 5 bar might *just* make it, but wonder if going to 10bar would be a smarter idea...
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Oil pressure in 4AGE Mon, 12 January 2004 23:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my trusty old 18R produced >50psi when cold and on revs ... go for the gauge that gives you best accuracy over the range of operating pressures.

what's the minimum operating pressure when warm? that's the one you want to watch in traffic - and know whether it's simply low from the heat/revs or rapidly running out of puff due to an impending catastrophe

also, get a t-piece fitting for the pressure take-off point so you can also fit a pressure switch as well as the sensor - an big light that comes on at 7-8psi might be noticed quicker than a gauge that's silently fallen to 0psi.

charles.
waynewatson
Regular

May 2003
Re: Oil pressure in 4AGE Tue, 13 January 2004 00:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Do you have power steering? Some (maybe all) aftermarket senders won't fit under the power steering bracket on FWDs. RWD is all good.

I have a new electric spitfire 2 5/8 100psi gauge and sender if you want it, unused, $80 (paid about $100). Bolted in nicely but didn't fit under said bracket. FWD's suck the big one.

Don't throw out the original toyota one either, they're >$100 from toyota.

[Updated on: Tue, 13 January 2004 00:12]

demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Oil pressure in 4AGE Tue, 13 January 2004 00:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm guessing if the pressure goes slightly above what the gauge can read it's not such a bad thing, as long as I know when it drops low...

Wayne: It's going in a RWD Corolla (no powersteering). What does the spitfire gauge look like? I'd kinda like to keep the look of all my gauges consistant (and I'm probably buying VDO gauges, just the simple Cockpit Vision black series), but then again I'm also over budget so cheap is good Smile

*edit* just looked at the general prices of Splitfire gauges, seem about the same as VDO, maybe I can just get all Splitfire ones Smile

[Updated on: Tue, 13 January 2004 00:48]

STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Oil pressure in 4AGE Tue, 13 January 2004 00:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
do you want mechanical or electric?
waynewatson
Regular

May 2003
Re: Oil pressure in 4AGE Tue, 13 January 2004 00:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I got mine from extreme motorsports at northgate, but some autobarns are starting to stock them now too (capalaba is a good example, stones corner is not).

These are poor quality examples and only a fraction of the range:
http://www.importscene.com.au/category44_1.htm
http://www.importscene.com.au/category46_1.htm

Mine are just normal black faced ones.
I just wanted mine to be metric and electrical. Some brands don't even release metric gauges Mad
The water temp gauge is spot on - fan comes on at 90C and off at 83C exactly.

Extreme motorsports also have another US brand, i forgot which though. They have a thinner face surround, but more expensive.
waynewatson
Regular

May 2003
Re: Oil pressure in 4AGE Tue, 13 January 2004 00:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There's heaps of other brands available, you just need to steer away from the likes of autobarn. Find all the motorsport shops you can.

The cheapest i found is an aus brand "speco", but they didn't have electric metric water temp.

You need a M16x1.5 to 1/8NPT adapter (VDO $10) for water temp. No adapter needed for oil pressure.

You can also get a T adapter and fit an oil temp gauge too if you're really hardcore, but i think the warning light is a better idea.

[Updated on: Tue, 13 January 2004 00:59]

waynewatson
Regular

May 2003
Re: Oil pressure in 4AGE Tue, 13 January 2004 01:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
www.importbitz.com have some very nice Greddy gauges at the moment. You're looking at $300/gauge though (warning type gauges). That's probably half price compared to new.
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Oil pressure in 4AGE Tue, 13 January 2004 01:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
STR8: Electric

Wayne: Is yours a 2 5/8 or a 2 1/16? And I think I'll probably get an oil temp gauge as I've been told it's a better indication as to what is happening. Also from factory there is already a (not-very-accurate) water temp gauge in the instrument cluster.

waynewatson
Regular

May 2003
Re: Oil pressure in 4AGE Tue, 13 January 2004 01:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
2 5/8.
I have stocko toyota water temp gauge too. It's alright on the street, but useless on the track (when it goes straight into the red).

Edit: www.performancecarshop.com (brisbane) also have cheap gauges.

[Updated on: Tue, 13 January 2004 01:37]

yolk
Newcomer

January 2004
Re: Oil pressure in 4AGE Tue, 13 January 2004 01:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm using apexi el series electronic oil temp and oil pressure gauge and here is my results

Operating temp idle ~ 88-90

Light constant driving (around 2,00-3,000 rpm) ~ 90-92

110 kmh cruising - around 96-98

170-180 kmh on 4th gear about 110-120

Oil pressure on idle when engine is warm is about 200kpa

Oil pressure above 3k rpm is 380-400kpa

I'm running a small oil cooler about 5-6 rows and using mineral oil castrol gtx 15W-40 still thinking if i should go for a slighter bigger oil cooler like a vr4 unit. Not very satisfied with the oil temp especially when driving at high rpm's. The oil temp sensor is plugged into my oil cooler adaptor on the return part ie after the oil has been cooled by cooler

http://www.my-acoustic.com/Car/oilcooler/pictures/clean2.jpg

http://www.my-acoustic.com/Car/oilcooler/pictures/engineside.jpg

http://www.my-acoustic.com/Car/oilcooler/pictures/oilfilterside.jpg
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Oil pressure in 4AGE Tue, 13 January 2004 02:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne: Hmm, a bit big Sad I don't have that much space to put gauges (and I need to fit 3 in there)... I'll remeasure how much space I have again tonight.

*edit* And yes, aware of PerformaceCarShop, and most probably getting my seats from there, but they only have OBX and TypeX gauges, both of which I'm not sure of the quality or accuracy. An inaccurate gauge is about as good as no gauge at all...

[Updated on: Tue, 13 January 2004 02:04]

Scorpion
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Oil pressure in 4AGE Tue, 13 January 2004 04:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My 100kw block has a bolt head next to the oil pressure switch. Does anyone know if this can be used as a second oil pressure takeoff so I can run the original switch plus an electric sensor ?
waynewatson
Regular

May 2003
Re: Oil pressure in 4AGE Tue, 13 January 2004 07:00 Go to previous message
I think that's a coolant drain plug. I could be wrong though seeing how it's near/between oil sender, filter and cooler hose.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Hilux 1992 SR5 conversion options
Next Topic:Air filters (oil-based)???
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 2 04:10:00 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0057880878448486 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.