Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ToyCam Steve
Occasional Poster

June 2002
3S-FE to 3S-GE Conversion Mon, 24 June 2002 13:55 Go to next message
I'm really keen to change the lethargic 3S-FE in my Sv21 Camry and drop a 3S-GE in. Would a front cut be sufficient for parts? Seeing as these engine are almost the same, is it still necessary for an engineers cert??
Thanks for your help Rolling
  Send a private message to this user    
beena
Occasional Poster

June 2002
Re: 3S-FE to 3S-GE Conversion Mon, 24 June 2002 14:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I see no reason why it wouldn't be enough.
I'm no toyota expert but from my limited knowledge the main difference between an FE and GE is one is twin cam.

If the engine will bolt in the rest of the front cut should be more than enough to cope, even if the GE is a later engine.
You will have the computer and any other random crap that is associated.
A front cut is pretty much enough for putting an engine in any car. Even in some wacky car - as long as you can work out how to bolt the engine and driveline in - the rest is a walk in the park!

If you are in Vic, as long as you don't have to modify the engine mounts it should be ok. They say that you can replace the engine with one 'of similar capacity and power'. Seeing this is just a variant of the same engine there should be no worries.

As I said, rotary's are my thing but i know a little about toyota's so don't completely trust my advice! Although my best friend (dorikin) has a TA22 with a 4AGE and also drives a 3SFE Camry... and has a sister who drives a 3SGE celica SX... We have often toyed with the idea of dropping a 3SGTE in the camry! Smile Fun!!!
dorikin
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: 3S-FE to 3S-GE Conversion Tue, 25 June 2002 06:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dude, the camry bauer is a 2SE (SOHC), not a 3SFE (DOHC), it's only an SV11... BTW, both the GE and the FE heads are Twin Cam, i'll explain later... how about you stick to your rotors...

[Updated on: Tue, 25 June 2002 08:39]

CamryMan
Regular

May 2002
Re: 3S-FE to 3S-GE Conversion Tue, 25 June 2002 08:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Most accessible option is to get an MR2 rear cut. You might be lucky enough to find ST183 or ST202 front cuts, but I doubt it.
dorikin
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: 3S-FE to 3S-GE Conversion Tue, 25 June 2002 08:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
another good point... a SW20 rear cut is much easier to get your hands on ex-japan, and will have the engine(same 3SGE), stronger gearbox (???) and everything else...

failing this, try to find a smashed up celica here in Australia that is cheap. if you can avoid it, the ST162/5 have the 1st gen 3SGE engine and are not as good as the later ones. an ST185/205 would be the go!!!

or, maybe even a import camry from japan, as i think these were available with the 3SGE (in the SV21 model) however i'm not so sure how available these are, unless they were private imports.
beena
Occasional Poster

June 2002
Re: 3S-FE to 3S-GE Conversion Tue, 25 June 2002 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK, i know that now,

What confused me was that the ST celica's like Dana's had a 3SFE 'from a Camry' didnt they? I just sort of looked over the fact that it wasn't the same model camry! And come to think of it dana's is a twin cam - my bad! As i said - don't trust my advice on toyota specific things!
You did say that they could drop straight in though didn't you?

Oh, dude, see the time i posted? I think i had just finished beer 6 by that stage! It may have blurred my memory! Smile

dorikin
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: 3S-FE to 3S-GE Conversion Tue, 25 June 2002 09:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes, if dana's ST162/5 was an ST model then it did have the 3SFE engine. this is the same engine as the SV21 camry engine, not to be confused with the later model 5SFE engine (2.2L). and yes, if dana wanted more bauer, she could arrange the s#GE engine to be put in her car without too much trouble.

and also, just to correct, the ST185/205 actually use the 5SFE engine and would not be of any use to you in your quest for a 3SGE engine. so if you were after a 3SGE and from a later car than the ST162/5 then you'd only find it in the MR2 (australian delivered). sorry about the oversight.

so an MR2 rear cut would be your best option.
beena
Occasional Poster

June 2002
Re: 3S-FE to 3S-GE Conversion Tue, 25 June 2002 10:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, dana's is a 162/5 ST. I know that for sure.

Could we put a GTE in it? Pleeeeeeese!

BTW Dude, your website sucks - really, get it sorted before too many people see it. Poorly laid out and with crap cars - except for that mnt Mazda there...
CamryMan
Regular

May 2002
Re: 3S-FE to 3S-GE Conversion Wed, 26 June 2002 05:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the ST162 has a 1st Gen 3S-FE. The ST165 is a 4WD 3S-GTE. I think the ST163 had a 3S-GE.

The ST183 had a 3S-GE, ST185 a 3S-GTE and also had a 7A-FE option in the USA.

The ST202 had a 3S-GE, ST205 a 3S-GTE.
Apollo
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 3S-FE to 3S-GE Conversion Wed, 26 June 2002 06:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Isn't the 3sge just a 2.0l widecam?
shane11r
Newcomer

August 2002

Re: 3S-FE to 3S-GE Conversion Sun, 04 August 2002 15:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The 3SGE has the same block as its counterpart the FE. Thats what the "S" means. The "G" means that it has a wider head as opposed to the "F" which is a skinny but more economical head. Crank and pistons are different as well. As far as I know the engine mounts are identical but my friend was researching a swap and was told by a young mechanic at a toyota Shop that there is about 10 cm difference when you try and lay it in. Im not to sure about that but the block being the same makes me dought it.
ae102_3sgte
Occasional Poster

August 2002
Re: 3S-FE to 3S-GE Conversion Sun, 04 August 2002 15:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The manifold does sit a bit closer to the firewall with a 3sge.
Whether it would be an issue on a Camry motor swap, I dont know.
The experience I have relates to a 3sge vs 3sfe in a Corolla.

I would think that a front cut would make it easy as long as you dont mind fiddling with the wiring.

As mentioned the MR2 trans has the shifter on the wrong side.

What side is your starter on?
Engine or transmission?

Depending on what version 3sg you use this may be a problem.(starter may not fit under the exhaust manifold)

BTW

All Toyotas:
XX ##5 5 denotes 4wd eg AE 95 or ST 165

XX ### where the last digit is not a five = not 4wd eg AE 91 or ST 162
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: 3S-FE to 3S-GE Conversion Sun, 04 August 2002 22:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
interestingly what gearbox will you use? if the camry has an S series bell can you use the stock camry gearbox (but will it live) or could u use an sw20 gearbox in its place using the camry mounts?

theoretically if the blocks are the same then you should be able to use the camry mounts to bolt to the 3sge?

also.......why not travel the 3sgte option instead?

i remember seeing somewhere a dude putting in a 3sgte into a sv21 with the 4wd driveline from a celica - MAJOR work tho.

[Updated on: Sun, 04 August 2002 22:01]

st150
Occasional Poster

August 2002
Re: 3S-FE to 3S-GE Conversion Fri, 09 August 2002 10:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Guys,

Hello there, I'm from Malaysia & new here. I'm using the 3S-GE from the Celica ST183 in my ST150 Corona.

The 3S-FE & 3S-GE head in interchangable,as far as I know or at least that's what I was told by the mechanics. On the other hand, I was told that the pistons are slightly different in spec. However the clutch cover & plates are the same withe the FE version, the bearing's not.

http://nmeconline.tripod.com/carreviews/st150.html

Regards. Grin
shane11r
Newcomer

August 2002

Re: 3S-FE to 3S-GE Conversion Fri, 09 August 2002 13:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As I mentioned before the FE and GE head is different and to a limited degree they are interchangable. The Ge has flatops in it so it runs at higher compresson and the crank is diffferent as well. If you put a ge head on with top of a fe block it may work but would probably run like crap. Youd need the matching pistons and crank
The Bell houseing area is identical and a mr2 gerarbox will do the job nicly. Take note though if you want to reduce torque steer it might be an idea to get a lsd mr2 gearbox but if you do take it easy around corners until you get used to the thing.

Just a point to note the ge Head has two cam shaft pully wheels run by the timing belt the fe has one pulley wheel and then under the cover theres a gear that drives the second cam shaft.
st150
Occasional Poster

August 2002
Re: 3S-FE to 3S-GE Conversion Sat, 10 August 2002 12:42 Go to previous message
Guys,

I was thinking of swapping a 5S block to my 3S-GE to get a little more torque. Anyone knows how to go about it or done this before ? What are the things that I need to swap over, i.e. the pistons & con rods of course but what about the crankshaft ? It's still very much at a drawing board stage, I don't even know if it works, so I'd appreciate some advise from you experts. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Thanks & Regards.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:MX83 head unit
Next Topic:removing transmission/clutch disc/pressure plate/flywheel
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 19:00:13 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.004518985748291 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.