Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
isaac
Regular

March 2003
Painting Rims Tue, 13 January 2004 00:24 Go to next message
I have a set of 16's and i was just wondering how much you guys reccon it would cost to get them turned white. I'm not sure what would be the best way, weather just painting would work, or powdercoat it or something else? has anybody done this before? Thanks
  Send a private message to this user    
SetMeFree
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: Painting Rims Tue, 13 January 2004 05:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dude i donethis before and Powder coating is the best way i work as a powder coater and the results come out much better
boris
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
On probation

January 2003
Re: Painting Rims Tue, 13 January 2004 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what if say.... you scratched your rim on a gutter and it was painted... could i get that sanded and the colour matched/repainted Embarassed Embarassed Crying or Very Sad
old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Painting Rims Tue, 13 January 2004 14:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am interested in doing my wheels eventually.

tryURluck what is the price of powdercoating 4 wheels?
SetMeFree
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: Painting Rims Mon, 19 January 2004 08:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
depends think about it what you pay is what you get for a good job approx around $250 - $ 300
rxtoy
Regular

December 2003
Re: Painting Rims Mon, 19 January 2004 09:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
one of my mates got them done over here in nz, $25 per wheel (for white) but he got a friend to acid dip them first so that probably made it a bit cheaper. that was over two years ago and they still look fine except one that he curbed. heaps better than painting cause they won't absorb any grease and shit like paint can. also get a better consistent cover, they look pretty damn good actually.
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: Painting Rims Mon, 19 January 2004 10:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
as i mentioned in another post im getting my wheels done by the workshop "Magman" as they did a remarkable job on my brothers wheels which looked like they were beyond repair after an acco. i was quoted $40-$60 per wheels depending on a few things. ill get the number up tomorrow and when my wheels are done (in a couple of days) ill post some pics.
midnight
Regular

November 2003
Re: Painting Rims Mon, 19 January 2004 12:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
does anyone use on of those home powder coating guns?

whats the quality like?
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: Painting Rims Tue, 20 January 2004 09:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok the number for "Magman" for anyone interested is as follows: 9709 2686 or mobile 0425 345 834. hes located at 2/21 Moxon Rd Punchbowl. like i said he does a really good job, just go to his workshop and check his work out. ill post some pics of my wheels before and after when i get them back friday arvo.
trza2k
Regular

January 2003

Re: Painting Rims Tue, 20 January 2004 23:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EVOSTi wrote on Mon, 19 January 2004 21:23

as i mentioned in another post im getting my wheels done by the workshop "Magman" as they did a remarkable job on my brothers wheels which looked like they were beyond repair after an acco. i was quoted $40-$60 per wheels depending on a few things. ill get the number up tomorrow and when my wheels are done (in a couple of days) ill post some pics.

What exactly are you getting done to the wheels? Are they stripping the paint and repainting/powercoating? I'm in the same boat and need some 17s fixed up.
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: Painting Rims Wed, 21 January 2004 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well i have some gold sorta hotwire 15's. the paint on two of them is almost non existant, the outer alloy dish is grainy and looks shit, and theres various chips and chuncks missing. hes repainting the centres gold, fixing up all the scratches and re-surfacing the dish's if required. im not sure on all the processes i just go by the results ive seen. my bro's rims were TIG welded and put on a lathe and re-finished and you would never tell they were damaged.
isaac
Regular

March 2003
Re: Painting Rims Wed, 21 January 2004 11:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't know if this is relevant to this post or make a new one, but today i scraped accross a gutter, and the outter bit of my rim is scratched. Is there a way to fix this, like i assume it needs to be done by a professional, but who do i call and how much does it cost? It's not really bad but i would want it fixed up Razz
CheeseCake_Bandit
Regular

May 2002
Re: Painting Rims Thu, 22 January 2004 01:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Painting rims is ok if you can stand flaking later on, and when the wheel starts to flake, you have to sand, scatch etc it off and start again, powder coating would definitely be best,

For the dude with the damage rim, fixing can be either cheap or expensive depending on the complexity of the rim as fitting the alminium piece or what ever they use to fill the chipped part, but the expensive part is using the glaive, to round the whole thing back to a circular look

Did it for my rims
Southo
Regular

I supported Toymods

August 2002
Re: Painting Rims Thu, 22 January 2004 02:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I had some very old and untidy looking Laser TX3 Turbo rims given to me about 3 years ago for my ex-g/f's laser.

They were white and scratched and quite ordinary looking so I sent them off to Brookvale Sandblasting ($25 per rim) to be sand blasted. They then delivered them to Brookvale Powdercoating $35 per rim) where I had pre-chosen my colour (ROH Silver) powdercoated onto the rims..

They came up BRAND NEW - without a word of a lie.

EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: Painting Rims Thu, 22 January 2004 09:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
isaac, read my above posts. take your rims to him, or just go and check out his work. hes pretty cheap and i can vouch for the quality of his work.
CheeseCake_Bandit
Regular

May 2002
Re: Painting Rims Thu, 22 January 2004 10:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
When you say powder coated, does he do the whole rim, or just the surface that can be seen,

I've got these 17" rims where the surface has been dipped in chrome, i didn't opt for this of course, i just acquired these rims,

Does the price matter on size ?? Or is it 35 in general, whats the waiting period like ??

Thanks

purpleminiep
Regular

May 2002
Re: Painting Rims Fri, 23 January 2004 23:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Getting chrome of is different to getting pant off. You usually need your rims acid dipped to get the chrome off. Sand blasting usually dosent work, it all depends on the quality so you might be ok because new chrome is shit compared to 30 years ago. take them to a sandblaster and ask them.

Brad
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Painting Rims Sat, 24 January 2004 12:42 Go to previous message
well i sprayed my rims with good old dulux enamel, no primer, minimal cleaning, and it lasted a few months without flaking chipping or anything, quite suprised. one can did the whole set.
so for $10 i reckon its a great budget option.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Wheel alignments in adelaide
Next Topic:Wat would u pay ?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri May 24 03:28:28 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0050318241119385 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.