Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
icon3.gif  NA cams in a 4agze Thu, 15 January 2004 20:05 Go to next message
Can i just take my ones out and put the NA ones in or is there more to it?
  Send a private message to this user    
Grant
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: NA cams in a 4agze Thu, 15 January 2004 20:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Why would you want to? You will most likely lose power.
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: NA cams in a 4agze Thu, 15 January 2004 21:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Freak it's been done many times around the world with people 'saying' a deffintate noticable differene in mid to top end.
get early 3 rib 4age cams, the ones i had in my late '87 7 rib 4age are the same cam profile as my '88 4agze cams.

there was a thread about this not that long ago...

fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: NA cams in a 4agze Thu, 15 January 2004 23:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That's interesting Rolling Eyes
That means the one's that were in there before are the same as the one's in the gze. Spew'n Sad
That's cool.
sprinterboy4agze
Regular

March 2003
Re: NA cams in a 4agze Thu, 15 January 2004 23:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what are the 3 rib cams of?

what about cam gears? anyone used any differ cam gears in a ze to get noticeable power
fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: NA cams in a 4agze Thu, 15 January 2004 23:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm thinking of getting custom made adjustable one's. They should definitely make more power with them.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: NA cams in a 4agze Fri, 16 January 2004 00:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
they will only help if your cams are not timed properly..

the 'normal' power increase from adjustable cams is about the same as a 5ZIGEN sticker.... just a little less bang for buck..

get adjustables, book a day of dyno time, and see what you can do!! usually it will just allow you to move the power band around a bit, unless your cam timing is fucked to begin with.

Cya, Stewart
Grant
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: NA cams in a 4agze Fri, 16 January 2004 00:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NA cams normally have a longer duration than SC cams. This results in part of the fuel mixture being 'blown' out of the exhaust during powering. If the NA cams have higher lift than the SC cams then it will be trade-off between what you can draw into the cylinder against some of the mixture being blown out. If you've ever stood behind a lumpy V8 and smelt the fuel at idle you'll know what I mean.

With a SC engine however you DO NOT want a cam that gives more top end as the SC builds power from torque at low rpm, not high. Anyone with a SC car knows that revving the engine out beyond the point at which point torque drops off is pointless. As Power = Torque x RPM you can see that by increase the rpm range as torque falls away will give you little, if any gain. The exception may a SC engine that has been limited by poor cam timing to meet emissions so yes, you may get a little more by changing cams from a NA.

I would try the suggestion about the 3 rib cams above before I spending the sort of money you are talking about on cams and cam gear.

And remember folks, a cam change will alter engine efficiency so if you have a MAP 4AGZE then your fuel/ignition map will not compensate for the bigger cams.

[Updated on: Fri, 16 January 2004 05:36]

IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: NA cams in a 4agze Fri, 16 January 2004 05:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
not to mention the hassle of re-shimming Smile
Benjamin
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: NA cams in a 4agze Fri, 16 January 2004 05:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the NA cams have about 1mm extra lift than the SC sticks and longer duration
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: NA cams in a 4agze Fri, 16 January 2004 12:07 Go to previous message
there's no point having the compressed-charge blown out the exhaust valve. is why turbo/SC-grinds are different to NA.

if it were turbo, you would shorten exhaust turbine life, i suppose for the supercharger, you're going to throw away power, by using the SC to stuff the exhaust full of fuel and probably shorter exhaust/CAT life

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:tacho dies in hot weather
Next Topic:how big is big {cams}
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 15 08:03:00 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0044071674346924 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.