Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » Previewing Gran Turismo 4...

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
freakysoarer
Regular

March 2003
icon14.gif  Previewing Gran Turismo 4... Wed, 14 January 2004 07:21 Go to next message
Hi Guys...

Just received a couple of games today, and one of which is the "Prologue" of the Highly Anticipated GT4... and since I know some of the forum junkies here are fans of the game... I thought it would be cool to do a review.

Since GT4 has not been officially released(the date rumored to be april 2004), this "Prologue" provides what is to come.

The game being only a preview, has only 5 tracks and 10 cars... with only arcade mode in 1 player.

Thus, I can only give a review of the gameplay/graphics itself.

And let me tell you that if you think GT3 was fantastic, the sequel will knock your socks off.

The rendering is superb, surpassing the latter version, which I thought was impossible(as it was already in a league of its own in terms of driving sumulators) given the limitations of PS2's rendering capabilities.

Once again the people behind the GT series have broken the barrier and impressed even me...(I was a fan of the series and completed all previous games)

The reving of cars differ... from low sounding Rex's boxer to the GTR's high pitched version.

The rendering of the cars itself was astonishing... the reflections and the anti-aliasing used was unparalleled by anything I have seen on PS2 games...

The rendering of the courses were also improved... with different textures added... even gravel/pebbles were included...

But words are incapable of describing the graphics...

So, I grabbed my gamepad and drove a lap of the 'New York' course, 1 of the 5 courses available... using the old MR2, as it was the only Toyota vehicle available... and recorded the replay.

The rest is history... enjoy! I did!

The file is not compressed to retain its quality as any lower in resolution and you will not be able to appreciate the video, so broadband users, you are in luck.

The file is hosted by my server, so it should be super-fast...

Even this video cannot do justice to the graphics.... as it is recorded from the TV.

The video file is in AVI format and can be opened using Windows Media Player.

Just click on the link below...

http://www.users.on.net/broomfield/GT4_MR2_replay. avi
  Send a private message to this user    
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: Previewing Gran Turismo 4... Wed, 14 January 2004 07:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SIK

i've been hanging out for GT4 for ages
bungeye racing
Occasional Poster

November 2003
Re: Previewing Gran Turismo 4... Wed, 14 January 2004 07:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tough i cant wait for this game, its like all my dreams have come true with some of the features this game has.
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Previewing Gran Turismo 4... Wed, 14 January 2004 10:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The big question I have is: Will it have the Supra RZ, and will it feature Castrol Tom's Supra? Very Happy
4AGE
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Previewing Gran Turismo 4... Wed, 14 January 2004 11:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MMMM 524kb a sec dl. What kinda price u paying for this space?

Graphics are stunning. I'm hoping the simulator mode is better that arcade. Something about the handling doesn't seem quite right. I'm assuming it retains the characteristics of previous arcade modes.

[Updated on: Wed, 14 January 2004 12:03]

speakafreaka
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Previewing Gran Turismo 4... Wed, 14 January 2004 12:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shraka wrote on Wed, 14 January 2004 21:58

The big question I have is: Will it have the Supra RZ, and will it feature Castrol Tom's Supra? Very Happy

supra RZ.. i think thats a given, every gt style game has MKiV supras.
i want them to be different and have a JZX81!

i wish they'd just release it for PC too. im sick of stubborn fools trying to convince me that PS2 graphics are better than PC based on GT3. anything else i show them they just say nuh.
it does look damn nice though.. ive got nfi how they squeezed that out of a ps2

but i hate stupid sony's licensing moves, manhunt PS2 exclusive for 6 months, GTA3 6 months, vice city 6 months, san andreas: 6 months, etm : shitty console port, deus ex: shitty console port. No wonder pc games sales are falling.
freakysoarer
Regular

March 2003
Re: Previewing Gran Turismo 4... Wed, 14 January 2004 13:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4AGE wrote on Wed, 14 January 2004 22:59

MMMM 524kb a sec dl. What kinda price u paying for this space?

Graphics are stunning. I'm hoping the simulator mode is better that arcade. Something about the handling doesn't seem quite right. I'm assuming it retains the characteristics of previous arcade modes.

Yeah, this preview version doesn't alow Stability Management to be turned off... anyway I thought i drove quite conservatively in that MR2... Razz
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: Previewing Gran Turismo 4... Wed, 14 January 2004 14:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nice driving

looked quite impressive actually even for a ps2!
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Previewing Gran Turismo 4... Wed, 14 January 2004 14:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hrm... shinies. Looks realy good. Is there going to be a PC port? And do you think it will be any good? I may buy it along with a steering wheel and pedals <- only input type to play a car game on realy.
freakysoarer
Regular

March 2003
Re: Previewing Gran Turismo 4... Wed, 14 January 2004 15:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just another video for Broadband users... The intro for GT4 Prologue...

http://www.users.on.net/broomfield/intro.avi

plus another one of my replays in Tokyo!!! Hahaha... tried a MPV on the track...check out the bodyroll on that oddessy!!!

http://www.users.on.net/broomfield/GT4_Oddessy_Rep lay.avi
old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Previewing Gran Turismo 4... Wed, 14 January 2004 15:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im at work Cool

903 kbps download Laughing
freakysoarer
Regular

March 2003
Re: Previewing Gran Turismo 4... Wed, 14 January 2004 15:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Also tried NFS Underground 2day...

and i gotta say that its like totally into the F&F movie...

nice game 2 play but, graphic wise still needs improvements... although there is signifiant improvements over previous versions in gameplay...

the handling of the cars are also not realistic enuf, but dat said... it is NOT a driving simulator like GT...

Thats it... just my 2c. Cool
MR. 2
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Previewing Gran Turismo 4... Wed, 14 January 2004 23:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
first great choice of car go the 2's

I love it so smooth, the sound is even right of the motor (if its the na version) i love it i cant wait....
wizzfizz2097
Regular

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Previewing Gran Turismo 4... Wed, 14 January 2004 23:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ive recommended it b4, but Live For Speed is the pc likeness of the gt series, for like $30 you get 8 cars and around 25 tracks.
www.liveforspeed.com
great online community, right now im in an enduro race league!
matt01
Occasional Poster

January 2004
Re: Previewing Gran Turismo 4... Thu, 15 January 2004 01:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Where can I get a copy of this demo?
white83supra
Regular

March 2003

Re: Previewing Gran Turismo 4... Thu, 15 January 2004 03:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nice one thanks for the trouble dude.
I have been waiting for GT4. I was lazy and finished GT3 in auto and went and got GT Concept and decided to finish it in manual (three days) and now i am doing GT3 over again in manual. Has anyone ever set up any GT tournaments using i-link? I want some real competition.
ant
charliechalk
Regular

June 2003
Re: Previewing Gran Turismo 4... Thu, 15 January 2004 06:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The graphics on nfs underground are good... if you happen to have a spare 3ghz p4 and a radeon 9800 pro or geforce fx5200 or better sitting around it looks great Rolling Eyes
Camry_omega
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Previewing Gran Turismo 4... Fri, 16 January 2004 04:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There are more cars u can unlock by compleating the licence tests, one of which is an 03' Celica SS-II, also shouldn't a celica GT4 rally car be available?
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Previewing Gran Turismo 4... Fri, 16 January 2004 05:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1071.0kb/sec ...do i win?

oh yeah, GT4 = slick Nod
sticky667
Occasional Poster

October 2003

Re: Previewing Gran Turismo 4... Fri, 16 January 2004 05:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i-link blows! i bought it a while back and even purchased another copy of the game and hooked it all up to find out that you can't use your garages!!?? wtf! sony is stupid!

jeremy
Camry_omega
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Previewing Gran Turismo 4... Fri, 16 January 2004 06:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
u sure you cant?
i think i remember i had to load mine or something.
gtman
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Previewing Gran Turismo 4... Fri, 16 January 2004 06:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shraka wrote on Wed, 14 January 2004 22:55

Hrm... shinies. Looks realy good. Is there going to be a PC port? And do you think it will be any good? I may buy it along with a steering wheel and pedals <- only input type to play a car game on realy.

For the fifty billionith time, there will never, EVER be a pc port of any of the GT games. Being as they sell more playstations then any other game, perhaps with Final Fantasy being the exception, Sony would be insane to make a port of it.

GT4 is one of the few games that makes me want a ps2, and I will get one for it. Online play will be slick Smile
freakysoarer
Regular

March 2003
Re: Previewing Gran Turismo 4... Fri, 16 January 2004 10:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Camry_omega wrote on Fri, 16 January 2004 15:45

There are more cars u can unlock by compleating the licence tests, one of which is an 03' Celica SS-II, also shouldn't a celica GT4 rally car be available?

oh yeah, there is a celica GT4... i guess i must've missed it.

hahaha... considering the amount of cars available... i must have been very tired... hahahaha
Camry_omega
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Previewing Gran Turismo 4... Sat, 17 January 2004 00:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah, so you must ahve got an import right, which means u got a mod chip on ur ps2 right?
freakysoarer
Regular

March 2003
Re: Previewing Gran Turismo 4... Sat, 17 January 2004 01:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Camry_omega wrote on Sat, 17 January 2004 11:29

yeah, so you must ahve got an import right, which means u got a mod chip on ur ps2 right?

yep... mine plays anything. any region, PAL or NTSC...
shcao
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Previewing Gran Turismo 4... Sat, 17 January 2004 02:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The preview wasn't THAT impressive.
freakysoarer
Regular

March 2003
Re: Previewing Gran Turismo 4... Sat, 17 January 2004 03:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shcao wrote on Sat, 17 January 2004 13:08

The preview wasn't THAT impressive.

hahaha... i wasn't commenting on the Prologue's gameplay, i was commenting on the graphics/realism.

And if you are not impressed by it, well... i want to know what driving simulator you are playing...

[Updated on: Sat, 17 January 2004 03:33]

freakysoarer
Regular

March 2003
Re: Previewing Gran Turismo 4... Sat, 17 January 2004 03:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
btw, talkin about attention to details.

remember GT3 when all the convertibles always have their top covered when you use them?

i unlocked a couple of cabriolets and convertibles and upon using them and replaying them, their top is down this time... Confused

and in the replays, when u zoom in... you ca actually see the driver turning the steering wheel and changing gears! Shocked

Brilliant!!!
shcao
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Previewing Gran Turismo 4... Sat, 17 January 2004 04:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I reckon if the top is down, we should see an 80's blockhead and a hot blond chick..

like how it was on OUTRUN..

haha.
nomuken
Regular

November 2003
Re: Previewing Gran Turismo 4... Sat, 17 January 2004 05:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jesus man 700 kb !!!

nice server u got there Embarassed
freakysoarer
Regular

March 2003
Re: Previewing Gran Turismo 4... Sat, 17 January 2004 07:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shcao wrote on Sat, 17 January 2004 15:08

I reckon if the top is down, we should see an 80's blockhead and a hot blond chick..

like how it was on OUTRUN..

haha.

thank god its not... otherwise i dun think it would b dat popular Laughing
shcao
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Previewing Gran Turismo 4... Sat, 17 January 2004 19:52 Go to previous message
how bout 2 chicks...

brunette, blonde, bikini's

LOL! Laughing
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:DIY turbo for vintage cars? huh!?
Next Topic:service questions
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 15:53:35 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0073821544647217 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.