Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 86-89 redline????

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
sleeker162
Forums Junkie

May 2003
86-89 redline???? Sat, 17 January 2004 07:41 Go to next message
all you people with st-162's im interested in knowing at how many rev's you hit rev govener?? my t-vis kicks in at 4k and i get rev limited at 6k - 6100k , but i read some comments on here sayin they rev their 162's past that...... we all have 3sge's as far as i can tell..... Confused
  Send a private message to this user    
StuC
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: 86-89 redline???? Sat, 17 January 2004 08:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Apparently max torque is at 6800rpm so that means u should be abnle to rev past that. read somewhere also that redline in ours is 7300 rpm and im pretty sure ive revved out to that, and my engine pings from 3k all the way thru..... Sad
sleeker162
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: 86-89 redline???? Sat, 17 January 2004 08:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
any ideas why mine wont rev that high?
FWDCelica
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: 86-89 redline???? Sat, 17 January 2004 08:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dude,

The ST162 3SGE makes 173 Nm of Torque @ 4800rpm.
Max.Power is 103KW @ 6000rpm.

The redline starts @ 6800 and goes solid at 7300.

Could be your ignition timing is out, or blocked Air or Fuel filter if it wont rev past 6000.

Cheers
T.

wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: 86-89 redline???? Sat, 17 January 2004 11:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah I have taken my old 3SGE right up until the 7300 mark, not much point though peak power is at 6000 (dyno to prove it) Very Happy never tried to hit the rev limiter I wonder when it would hit it, does 8000 sound to high? Confused (if I still had my old 3SGE in the car I'd go out right now start her up and hit the rev limiter just to see)

And StuC, if your engine is pinging all the way through that I'd check your timing, it's probably too far advanced.

[Updated on: Sat, 17 January 2004 11:31]

StuC
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: 86-89 redline???? Sun, 18 January 2004 07:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
U reckon my timing is out? i need to go n get it serviced properly i think. Does anyone recommend anywhere in Melbourne who tunes cars for cheap and actually knows what they're doin?
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: 86-89 redline???? Mon, 19 January 2004 01:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my rev limiter is right near the solid red. for one thing, I by acco revved it right into the solid red when I was changing down (heel-toe) the other day. Foot got caught on that plastic thing where the wires are - it came loose.

But it is real smooth all the way up there. I think the zorst and k&n etc has shifted the power curve a little further, I certainly get more power near the top than I used to.

StuC, stick some Optimax in.. does it still do it? I will ping with regular unleaded
drft spec - st167
Regular

November 2003
Re: 86-89 redline???? Sun, 25 January 2004 11:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah my st162 been up to redline before numerous times.

hehehehehe and mine is an auto atm.

RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: 86-89 redline???? Mon, 26 January 2004 10:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I remember the first day I got my car - I decided to give my brother a shot at it - I told him not to go too harsh because I hadn't had the chance to make sure that the car could take punishment. First thing he does is bounce the prick off the redline (7200ish) as he takes off!

ST162's have a fuel-injector cut-out, meaning that once you hit 7200ish, it'll just 'stay' at those revs and won't allow the engine to go any higher. It might 'bounce off' a little bit, but it's not as harsh as the older ignition cut-out method that cars used to have (teehee).

The 3S-FE is horribly un-revvy, but it still should red-line at about 6500 (afaik).

Also - in regards to the pinging. My engine doesn't ping at all, even on the hottest of days up the steepest hills. However, I took to putting in BP Ultimate 98 anyway just for the extra security...also - I'm planning to buy some high compression pistons one day. In my experience Optimax and Ultimate 98 are the best 98 octane fuels. Mobile stuff tends to be a bit hit and miss in regards to RON. I've seen an engine dyno-tuned on that stuff perform great on one batch then ping and over heat like hell with the next...

[Updated on: Mon, 26 January 2004 10:36]

StuC
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: 86-89 redline???? Tue, 27 January 2004 08:13 Go to previous message
I didnt put optimax or ultimate in but i did put some octane booster through and it did stop pinging for a while so im gonna take it to the last guys that touched it and get them to retard the timing coz i cant get my hands on a timing light. Thanx for ur help guys
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Cusco strut tops?
Next Topic:Black Smoke
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 11 13:15:43 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0049169063568115 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.