Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
bayka
Regular

I Supported Toymods

September 2002
ae93 clutch --PLEASE HELP Sat, 17 January 2004 06:17 Go to next message
Hey dudes, finally getting my heavy duty exedy organic but when i went to order it today there are 2 types for the ae92 100kw!!

They are both 215mm diameter, with same organic plate etc, the only difference is the thrust bearing. . .

the two models are :
R1148NHD (what daiken told me ages ago)
R1140NHD (other one, apparently more common!!??)

I really want to get this monday so if someone can shed light on the right one its appreciated
Cheers Smile

p.s. car : 1990 Corolla Seca SX
  Send a private message to this user    
jasonp1977
Regular

May 2002
Re: ae93 clutch --PLEASE HELP Sat, 17 January 2004 07:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
easiest way is to take your old bearing in with you. The place I got my last clutch from gave me both bearings to take home and I took back the one that didn't fit...
bayka
Regular

I Supported Toymods

September 2002
Re: ae93 clutch --PLEASE HELP Sat, 17 January 2004 07:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok cool, ill try and get them both.
How long did it take you to get yours sorted and installed?
This is my first hydraulic clutch change, only done a fwd cable b4.

Cheers
jasonp1977
Regular

May 2002
Re: ae93 clutch --PLEASE HELP Sat, 17 January 2004 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
took about 20 minutes because the engine was out of the car Wink I dont like changing FWD clutches with the engine in the car...
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: ae93 clutch --PLEASE HELP Sat, 17 January 2004 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
did one on an ae82 twin cam a couple of week backs. Not to hard but was my first fwd clutch change so took a while. Have you got the haynes or other manual (not that you really need it). Have you got the car pulled apart (short driveshaft off and longer one unbolted from the g/box. I had someone help me when I got to the stage of everything disconnected from gearbox. Good to have 2nd hand when lowering engine and dropping g/box. If you want me to go through more detailed steps i can but not sure how much you know...If you do clutch would get flywheel machined - local place did it for 30 bucks cash (40 if wanted docket). You will need someone to jam large screwdriver in ring gear against g/box bolt inserted into engine while other cracks the flywheel nuts. Also make sure you adjust clutch - at the top of the pedal can undo lock nut aand rotate shaft coming from master cylinder to adjust where the clutch contact point is. Also bolt for the clutch stop which deternmines freeplay (want a little so release bearing is away from pressure plate when pedal released,,, i think thats why any way). Had to remove air vent and trim uinderneath steering wheel.
all the best
bayka
Regular

I Supported Toymods

September 2002
Re: ae93 clutch --PLEASE HELP Sat, 17 January 2004 11:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks highrolla, yeh only done a cable clutch in a mates fwd astra 1.8. There was heaps of space and it was relatively straight foward.

Ive ordered the workshop manual for monday aswell, just so ive got some guidelines, don't know if its a haynes or whatever.

Do you have to drop the engine a bit to get the clutch out/in??
Cant you just unbolt the transmission/transaxle assembly ,lower it down with a jack and a few mates and get direct access to clutch/flywheel with the engine etc still in place????

Fuck, maybe this is gona be harder than i expected, any extra pointers and detailed steps you can give me are gladly accepted as workshop manuals are never better than human advice Surprised

My car's not going to make it up hills soon so whatever happens, im changing it out myself!

Ive also looked into getting flywheel machined, (did it for my mates astra for $40 aswell) is there a limit to how much u can get it done?
Ive got a feeling my flywheel may be screwed aswell cause my clutch is definately burned down to rivets - metal/metal (it slips to redline in any gear with accelerator pedal more than 1/4 depressed!)

HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: ae93 clutch --PLEASE HELP Sat, 17 January 2004 12:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, sounds like your clutch may be a touch worn!!
If you can do without the car for a while I'd start dismantling if I was you.

I sort of worked through the manual but will try and recount some of the stuff you may encounter. I'm assuming the layout of the ae82 is pretty similar to the ae93 but maybe few bits different

I did lower/tilt the engine to get the g/box out. The trans cross member has 2 mounts to it (both 2 g/box i think). If you flip little plastic covers it reveals the bolts/nuts holding the mount to the xmember - undo these, and then take the xmember completely out leaving the mounts attached to the g/box. The engine and gbox are then only being held by 2 mounts one on the left and one on the right of the engine bay0. If you get underneath car you can see a metal cover plate as the g/box hangs lower than the engine. You can take this off now. I think about 5 10 or 12mm bolts. (youre going to end up with a lot of bolts maybe good to have some masking tape, tape together bolts and write where from and put them in fresh box). undo starter motor bolts. If your coolant hoses run on top of the g/box you will just have to take the bolts out that attach it (just leave hanging). undo speedo cable from g/box etc unplug reverse light connector etc. Start cracking the engine to g/box bolts as most are very tight. My air box was in the way of getting to the gearbox mount, i took it out and the associated intake plastic piping. I think for your car the manual says undo something on the exhaust, however being a fwd should have a flexi joint to allow for rocking of motor (braided secion in exhaust line - btwn ehaust manifold and cat). Might have missed a few things - start undoing all bolts holding engine to g/box. Get a jack underneath g/box and one under engine sump (used block of wood to distribute load). Undo the g/box to chassis mount. We actually disconnected the mount from the g/box to give more room, you will see when take air cleaner box out. THe gbox took a bit of prying to get it off due to the dowels. I had a trolley (hydraulic jack) under g/box and the crappy scissor type under the engine. Lowered jacks in sequence to get the tilt needed, careful not to let the engine take too much (dont want sump to crack). Gbox wasnt too heavy. Once out easy access to flywheel 8 bolts after removing pressure plae (12mm i think). Then remove flywheel (should be alright to get machined even if had work out).

Forgot to mention make sure drivehafts were out of the way - short one requres full removal from vehicle. Undo driveaxle nut, strut bolts and bolts mating drivesshaft to driveshaft flange of g/box.

Let us know how you go, i cant think at mom will post again later if you like
bayka
Regular

I Supported Toymods

September 2002
Re: ae93 clutch --PLEASE HELP Tue, 20 January 2004 03:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sweet man thanks for the pointers, got it off!
u wont believe how rooted my clutch is , ill post some pics as soon as i can!!!
Just before i but the car up on axel stands i put it in reverse up to about 20km/hr and dumped it in 5th gear holding revs at 5000 until car stopped and slowly started moving foward. . .
Very Happy

AFter that i couldn't even get up my mates driveway in 1st. My flywheel has blue heat spots all over it and has warped areas where the rivets have ripped the shit out of it Shocked

Im so proud of myself , im gona hang whats left of the organic plate assembly on the wall, pics 2day! Surprised
._T_.
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ae93 clutch --PLEASE HELP Tue, 20 January 2004 04:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
part no i have for the 212mm daikin clutch is r1148n heavy duty you jsut add hd to the end of that. the hd is very expensive!

T
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: ae93 clutch --PLEASE HELP Tue, 20 January 2004 06:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Geez man...you're one crazy motherf... The place you take it to get machined may get a surprise Shocked . I bet yoou're hoping they tell you its the worst one they've ever seen (but can still machine it out obviously), Should be all good though..not like brake disks where they have a minimum thickness which i think is illegal to go below. Sounds like it went fairly smoothly so far..everything dropped down, out ok etc? U got fwheel off yet? I got a Daikin standard in mine cost $125 for kit, which seems pretty good (my model has a 200mm not 212mm diameter). Apparently you dont get a warranty with the HD clutch, however im not sure how good the warranty is as we're not qualified mechanics i.e they may not honour it. I got a standard clutch as I thought I may sell the car in the near future and a lighter clutch may be more desirable. My master cylinder shat itself when trying to bleed system on assembly, probably on way out..the extra pressure of the bleed process may have led to its demise. If you end up needing a new slave or master dont go to repco (rip every poor c..t off)..quoted me $250 or more for a master along with another local supplier. However got one down the road for $85 (might have been at trade though). Slaves usually go for about 40 or 50.
86twinky
Regular

November 2003
Re: ae93 clutch --PLEASE HELP Wed, 21 January 2004 00:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You can only machine flywheels so far. They get too thin, they crack. Nice big mass spinning at say 5,000rpm, think of the centrifugal forced on that... it can go through the gear box with ease. If it's not screwed you might as well get it lightened a bit while it's out.
Make sure you torque the flywheel up properly (read "big spinning mass at 5,000rpm). Remember to clean the flywheel with carby cleaner before you match the clutch and pressure plates.
bayka
Regular

I Supported Toymods

September 2002
Re: ae93 clutch --PLEASE HELP Wed, 21 January 2004 08:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks all, i got my Heavy Duty today, just about ready to start putting everything back together. . .

Can someone please look up in their ae92/93 manual for the torque settings for flywheel and gearbox as i don't have them - THANKS

I just took some pics of my old clutch and fuck me you all have to see this, ill have them up asap. PS how do i attach pics directly to thread?

I was lucky with the flywheel, their were blue heat spots on the engine side! meaning the whole thing had to be glowing red to produce them. . . the dude managed to get it sorted and smooth it out so all good Surprised

ps
flywheel machining cashy : $30
heavy duty 1148HD inc freight from sydney : $360
rear main seal : $15

all from autopro, does that sound ok?
bayka
Regular

I Supported Toymods

September 2002
Re: ae93 clutch --PLEASE HELP Wed, 21 January 2004 10:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bump. . .
anyone? just about to put flywheel on need torque settings Sad
Scorpion
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: ae93 clutch --PLEASE HELP Wed, 21 January 2004 11:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manual Transmission:
700-800 kg-cm
(51-58 ft-lbs, 69-78 Nm)

To be done in 2 or 3 passes in following order ...

(Ref: Toyota Engine Repair Manual)
Very Happy

[Updated on: Wed, 21 January 2004 11:13]

bayka
Regular

I Supported Toymods

September 2002
Re: ae93 clutch --PLEASE HELP Wed, 21 January 2004 12:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks scorpion, would u mind giving me the settings for the bellhousing aswell, and maybe the crossmember and engine mounts etc if they exist.

Cheers man Smile
bayka
Regular

I Supported Toymods

September 2002
Re: ae93 clutch --PLEASE HELP Wed, 21 January 2004 12:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bump. . .
oh and pressure plate torque settings aswell!!
at that stage now. . .

Cheers in Advance
bayka
Regular

I Supported Toymods

September 2002
Re: ae93 clutch --PLEASE HELP with torque settings Thu, 22 January 2004 01:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bump Sad
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: ae93 clutch --PLEASE HELP Thu, 22 January 2004 04:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
clutch pressure plate to flywheel bolts 19Nm
Transaxle to engine - 10mm bolts 46Nm 12mm bolts 40mm.

Wouldn't worry too much about the correct torque for others - just do them up tight. I haven't used a torque wrench for anything on my car - cause I haven't taken the head off or done any work on engine internals. Even the flywheel we just did them up tight in sequence. I guess its good to get correct torque but most mechanics have a feel for bolt tightness and doubt if many would correctly torque such things...

I think you have to have your pics on a webpage and then hyperlink to them.
ben
Scorpion
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: ae93 clutch --PLEASE HELP Thu, 22 January 2004 09:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry Bayka,
I sent thought I sent this stuff last night but musn't have clicked the right buttons.

Transaxle to Engine:
12mm bolts 650 kg-cm (47 ft-lb)
10mm bolts 470 kg-cm (34 ft-lb) (C40, 50 and 52)
10mm bolts 400 kg-cm (29 ft-lb) (S50)

Engine Mounts:
530 kg-cm (38 ft-lb)

Crossmember:
400 kg-cm (29 ft-lb)

Ref: Toyota Repair Manual for Chassi & Body
Very Happy

[Updated on: Thu, 22 January 2004 09:25]

Scorpion
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: ae93 clutch --PLEASE HELP Thu, 22 January 2004 09:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pressure plate = what HighRolla said.
FYI
19Nm = 195 kg-cm (14ft-lb) so you can compare previous figures if you need to work in Nm's. Smile

[Updated on: Thu, 22 January 2004 09:42]

HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: ae93 clutch --PLEASE HELP Fri, 23 January 2004 03:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm just being a geek setting up dodgy webpage. One of pics below shows the clevis on the master cylinder coming through to pedal (split pin thingo holding it on. Behind head of clevis is the locknut that you loosen and rotate shaft coming out of m/s to adjust clutch take up point. Adjust freeplay with bolt above the spring.

http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~benl1981/Clutch%20Page.htm/corollapbox02.jpg

http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~benl1981/Clutch%20Page.htm/corollapbox04.jpg

Here is webpage if above doesn't work
http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~benl1981/Clutch%20Pag e.htm

HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: ae93 clutch --PLEASE HELP Tue, 27 January 2004 11:31 Go to previous message
Is the car back on the road with fresh clutch?
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:aw11 arm-rest
Next Topic:easiest way to check inlet valves are working?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Jun 1 14:13:29 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0067851543426514 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.