Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Twin charged 4agzte?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
icon2.gif  Twin charged 4agzte? Fri, 16 January 2004 04:37 Go to next message
I know there not sold anymore and even if i could find a kit it would cost more than my car but is there any info on how the kit actually worked?
Oh, i'm talking about the hks twin charger kit for the 4agze.
  Send a private message to this user    
wagonist
Forums Junkie

Toymods Club Treasurer

May 2002
Re: Twin charged 4agzte? Fri, 16 January 2004 05:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fast Fours did an article on it a while ago.

The kit came with a supercharger controller & a ignition timing controller.

The turbo blew through the supercharger into the stock intercooler.
The supercharger controller was tunable so that that the supercharger could be turned off when the turbo built up boost. Changeover was aroudn the 4000rpm mark.

I've seen a custom variation where separate plumbing upto the intercooler (front mount) was used. solenoid controlling two throttle bodies were used to switch between turbo & super. Expect a crapload of plumbing this way though.

I think I may still have these mags at home so PM me an email & I'll scan them & send a copy.
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Twin charged 4agzte? Fri, 16 January 2004 05:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm thinking of this for a 1G! Razz

Funny I was reading a fast fours last night on the crapper and looking at a corolla with a similar conversion and thinking how the hell to you plumb that? And progrssivly could I do it to a 1G Evil or Very Mad and progressed a little to far to the Twin supercharged,Quad turbo setup (long crap Embarassed )

What would the addvantages to this be and what strengthening would the engine need (if any) if it was "on boost" 90% of the time? How would it effect fuel consumption if dyno tuned correctly?
Rex_Kelway
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Twin charged 4agzte? Fri, 16 January 2004 05:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Im sorry fellas, but the sort of 'twin-charging' you're talking about is simply a crap idea and not at all worth the money or headaches in my opinion.

A simple, well sized supercharger or turbocharger setup will yield far better results as well as being cheaper, easier to setup, more efficeint, more powerful and more reliable.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Twin charged 4agzte? Fri, 16 January 2004 05:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Your engine will never be on boost 90% of the time. Whether supercharged or turbocharged, you'll only see positive manifold pressure when you crack the throttle open a fair bit. Most of the time the throttle is nearly closed in normal driving situations, ie no boost.

Four turbos on a six cylinder engine is a bit silly...

EDIT: well said Rex. Twincharging is great for bragging rights, but as far as bang-for-your-buck or practicality goes, forget it.

[Updated on: Fri, 16 January 2004 05:52]

fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Twin charged 4agzte? Fri, 16 January 2004 05:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've looked into it a bit and overseas a few people have them. They say that it is the best of both worlds. They say it has pure exceleration from the minute you put your foot down Very Happy
I dont think you would have to do too much to the engine as it would be the same as having a turbo that came on really quick and kept boosting till redline.
I guess it comes down to how much boost do you want to run?
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Twin charged 4agzte? Fri, 16 January 2004 06:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lambolica wrote on Fri, 16 January 2004 16:39

I'm thinking of this for a 1G! Razz

Funny I was reading a fast fours last night on the crapper and looking at a corolla with a similar conversion and thinking how the hell to you plumb that? And progrssivly could I do it to a 1G Evil or Very Mad and progressed a little to far to the Twin supercharged,Quad turbo setup (long crap Embarassed )

What would the addvantages to this be and what strengthening would the engine need (if any) if it was "on boost" 90% of the time? How would it effect fuel consumption if dyno tuned correctly?

Sorry this post was a bit of a brain fart. typed before I thourght. I've got a long way to go about how s/c, turbos work before I start posting. I found it scary that I was thinking of this subject only moments before it was posted by someone else.

Of course Quad turbos is stupid on a 6 cyl, I'll try 6 turbos, 1 per cylinder Razz
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: Twin charged 4agzte? Fri, 16 January 2004 06:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lambolica wrote on Fri, 16 January 2004 14:20

I'll try 6 turbos, 1 per cylinder Razz

Been there, thought that, woke up quickly but enjoyed the idea of four glowing little turbine snails on a four cylinder!!! Not to mention the ease of manifold design, construction and equal lengthing!!!
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Twin charged 4agzte? Fri, 16 January 2004 08:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You MAY have been on the crapper for a while, but it doesn't seem like you got rid of ALL the crap Evil or Very Mad Very Happy

One thing people rarely try is a PROPERLY set up PD supercharger. Most such setups seem to net minimal power, especially factory efforts like the 4agze. However, with some careful work, a DECENT blower (i.e. not roots!), a lot of though on cams, it's quite possible to put out power that will give the turbo brigade something to think about...
Cameron_Datto
Occasional Poster

December 2003
Re: Twin charged 4agzte? Fri, 16 January 2004 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Iam running a 4agze twincharger set up in a datsun 1200 racecar,,i made it up using a RB25 turbo blowing into a Sc14 blower .. See the pic beside the post ...I love the power band .,, Yes you can make more power with just a turbo, but you get turbolag .. But its so drivable .. this is due to a very wide torque curve ,,,A torque curve you cant get with a turbo .. it feels like a electric motor on how it makes its power ..

[Updated on: Fri, 16 January 2004 11:04]

RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Twin charged 4agzte? Sat, 17 January 2004 04:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've always thought of super & turbo charged engines the same way I think of a twin turbo setup car (ie the old subaru liberty twin turbos).

Basically - a really good single turbocharger does a better job.

Ball bearings, lightweight turbines etc make it impractical to consider twin turbo or turbo/super charging.

Only in extreme circumstances would you be better off down a straight line or on a race track with both super and turbo charger. The Lancia Delta S4 Group B being one example of a pertinent application of turbo and super charging (although they over complicated the design a teeny bit).
fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Twin charged 4agzte? Sat, 17 January 2004 06:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I guess being different isn't always about being the fastest Smile
So many people have the same thing these days, I'd like to think i could be different to the rest.
If i can get the power i am after with the twin setup that would be cool.

Do you sacrifice more power with the duel setup Cameron ?
Cameron_Datto
Occasional Poster

December 2003
Re: Twin charged 4agzte? Sat, 17 January 2004 10:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The reason the twin-charger set up is good is its BIG FAT WIDE FLAT torque curve .. The wider you can get you torque band the More "drivable"the car is ,,This Set up makes over 80%of its Torque at 2500rpm ..Maximum Acceleration is at maximum torque Iam making 200hp @6000rpm at the rear wheels on pump fuel at the moment this enough power for a Car that weighs 770kgs ,Iam not turning the super charger off and By passing the supercharger like the HKS set up so iam loosing Top end horsepower over 6000rpm as the supercharger becomes restrictive in flow and is also drawing HP from the engine .. You need a Turbo which is suitable for a 3ltr motor not a 1.5 ltr and comes alive around 4000 rpm to make this twin charge set up work . You can Not make the same power curve and torque curve with just a Good turbo .. But i feel you could close with a SCREW TYPE SUPERCHARGER as the Roots Type supercharger is inefficient at high RPM so thats why the Turbo take over in the TWIN-CHARGE set up .. I made the system my self and i agree with peoples comments about it being a complex system ..but it was worth the effort ...BUT if you are paying someone to make it,, Forget it as The Research and Development is to expensive to justify.. Just buy a Screw type Blower OPCON or A SPRINTEX , I couldn't afford one other wise i would have went that way ,,

[Updated on: Sat, 17 January 2004 10:51]

fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Twin charged 4agzte? Sat, 17 January 2004 12:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Cameron,

Any chance you have any photos of your setup or more details on how to make it?
Bazooka
Regular

April 2003

Re: Twin charged 4agzte? Sat, 17 January 2004 23:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes I too would like to know all the nitty gritty on your conversion. Can you enlighten us on how you went about it?

Where are you located?
shindeokure
Regular

September 2003
Re: Twin charged 4agzte? Sun, 18 January 2004 02:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wouldn't running anti-lag on a turbo car give you a similar result at a fraction of the cost?
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Twin charged 4agzte? Sun, 18 January 2004 03:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't know about anti-lag, but a small shot of nitrous (even 25hp or less) would be just as effective if not more so. If you had a well-chosen turbo and tuned the engine management properly, the nitrous would only need to be used very briefly to spool the turbo. If I was really worried about turbo lag, this is the route I'd choose! Turbo lag is overrated though; with suitable gearing it's a non-issue in most circumstances.
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Twin charged 4agzte? Sun, 18 January 2004 03:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Freak pity you cant run nitrous legally on the street though... Rolling Eyes
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Twin charged 4agzte? Sun, 18 January 2004 03:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nope, but anti-lag is illegal also and MUCH more conspicuous!
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Twin charged 4agzte? Sun, 18 January 2004 03:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Freak yeah.
thats the injector and spark before the turbo isnt it? i'm sure i read about it somewhere b4..

Quote:

Turbo lag is overrated though; with suitable gearing it's a non-issue in most circumstances.

i agree.
my turbo spools up around 2700rpm. doesnt feel 'laggy' to me though. i guess it's also how you drive the thing..
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Twin charged 4agzte? Sun, 18 January 2004 04:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There are several forms of anti-lag. Some of them retard the ignition heaps and make the fuel mixture uber-rich, while others dump fuel directly into the exhaust manifold. All of them are destructive, loud and highly illegal on the street!
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Twin charged 4agzte? Sun, 18 January 2004 05:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the only real reason for the extra hassle and weight of a twin charge setup is to get rid of turbo lag, and have torque at ALL revs (imho). this also means you can run a much larger turbo, and have it kick in earlier, than it otherwise would, since you are making more exhaust gas from the SC.

if you are purely racing, the complexity of having the SC kick in if the turbo came off boost would be a bit tricky, and possibly make car control more difficult. i think a turbo only system would be better where sustained rpm is normal.

for around town tho, when revs are often at idle, and a turbo is likely to be off boost often, an SC will definitely liven things up a lot!!. 80% torque from idle upwards, and THEN the turbo kicks in Evil or Very Mad what could be better???

it also helps if you have a very wide rpm band to work with... if you are sticking less than 6000rpm, you may as well saty SC, but if you wanna wring out the revs, then SC is too inefficient.

so, my ideal setup (for TC) would be SC overspun to give maybe 14-16psi up until 5000rpm, then switch out, and then turbo to kick in (well, progressively while SC is still on) and take it to 8000-9000rpm with around 20+psi....

hmmm, if i ever have a few grand and a few months to spare, might knock one up for the heck of it...
my 2.5c
Cya, Stewart

RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Twin charged 4agzte? Sun, 18 January 2004 07:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There are other factors like under bonnet temperatures that you may want to think about. On top of that, having both the super and turbo charger increases the weight of the vehicle, and alters the weight distribution.

Once you start taking care of all of those details you are talking alot of money, for a very *tiny* increase in acceleration when you are street driving (low revs). On the track you would probably not even get into revs where the super charger would be working (if you used a setup that bypasses the supercharger at higher rpm).

However, there is of course the bragging rights to think about Smile
I just don't see it as very cost effective, that's all! I think you may have too much spare money and spare time Razz

Btw - you really don't want to have the supercharger restricting the turbocharger by not bypassing it.
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Twin charged 4agzte? Sun, 18 January 2004 08:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
... if you're going to run turbo an super charger - then perhaps this might inspire you:
<http://www.luc1d.net/images/summernats_04/bad-ass% 20truck%20turbo's.jpg>

4 turbos that push air into overdriven superchargers

Laughing Shocked

woops, URL now accurate, that extra quote mark confused the forum engine- thanks toobs.

[Updated on: Sun, 18 January 2004 10:39]

EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: Twin charged 4agzte? Sun, 18 January 2004 09:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if i ever wanted some real power outta my 4agze the first thing i would do is get rid of that big restriction on the inlet (read: supercharger), and slap a turbo on. nothing more frustrating when your trying to go fast then when your engine dies in the ass above 5500rpm. well mine does anyway.
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Twin charged 4agzte? Sun, 18 January 2004 09:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You muffed that link dude...

http://www.luc1d.net/images/summernats_04/bad-ass%20truck%20turbo's.jpg

This works!
Malicia
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Twin charged 4agzte? Mon, 19 January 2004 02:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

http://www.luc1d.net/images/summernats_04/bad-ass%20truck%20turbo's.jpg

Hmmmmm now to make one of these fit in the celica Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

[Updated on: Mon, 19 January 2004 02:22]

Jason
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: Twin charged 4agzte? Mon, 19 January 2004 03:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Isnt that the Bandag Bullet i saw that at Summernats one year.
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Twin charged 4agzte? Mon, 19 January 2004 03:16 Go to previous message
yup - i pinched the link from this thread:
<http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=26876&start=0&rid=2087&S=ab0976f3e90 026787d3aa47d93feb2cd>
in which RA28's pics were hosted on lucid's web space
<http://www.luc1d.net/images/summernats_04/>
lucid: i hope you don't mind?
charles
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: image required please: inside of 100KW ECU
Next Topic:1jz/2jz Conversion For GZ20 Soarer
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri May 10 02:25:34 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.063984870910645 seconds