Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » LSD into AW11?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
LSD into AW11? Sun, 18 January 2004 09:46 Go to next message
I've been made aware you have to do something to the left hand engine/gearbox mount, What exactly is involved?
I read up a little on it and from what i gather you have to slot it about 15mm higher or something?

Im not sure what that means but if you do.......HELP Shocked
  Send a private message to this user    
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: LSD into AW11? Sun, 18 January 2004 12:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Freak man it's been sooo long since i did my 4agze conversion i cant remember all the nitty gritty bits. Confused
but i can asure you that the end gearbox mount is different, and the rear mount is a tad different too. i got one bolt through the end gearbox mount onto my cars mount, and then drilled a hole into my cars mount to bolt and nut the other side (the ge and gze gearbox mount holes dont line up). i didnt even look to see if the mount out of my 1/2 cut would just bolt straight into place, i suggest you have a look as it might solve the problem.

i have heard that the rear mount holes are a different, mine seemed to bolt on ok though. the 4agze rear mount has 4 mounting bolts, i drilled through the chassis rail so i could put bolts/nuts through the 2 top holes on the mount.

the s/c engine lid catch does not line up with the ge engine lid catch. you can use racing pins like i did, cut (drill the spot welds) the original catch off the car and relocate to match the s/c engine lid location, or do like my mate did to his and put a metal bar off to the side and use the ge catch in the original location.(< i was going to attach a pic of it here, but the server i have the pic on is down). Mad
fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: LSD into AW11? Sun, 18 January 2004 20:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Feral.
If you have any pics on this stuff that would be cool if you could out it up for me. "When the server is up of course"

Thanks Smile
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: LSD into AW11? Sun, 18 January 2004 21:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Freak i will have to go through my boxes of photos to find the conversion pics i took, scan em etc.. i didnt take many technical ones though.. Laughing
just pics along the way.

fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: LSD into AW11? Sun, 18 January 2004 22:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That's one of the things i found. You think, " I should take photos of the whole swap just in case you have to do it again or someone else needs to know something " But who is going to clean their hands just to get a camera Laughing

I'll make sure i take all the right photos this time round Very Happy
Ben Wilson
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: LSD into AW11? Sun, 18 January 2004 22:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I cover most of the cutting and welding required to do it nicely here:

http://www.board.mr2faq.com/showthread.php?threadi d=66514
fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: LSD into AW11? Mon, 19 January 2004 00:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Ben, is it easier to just change the mount on the engine instead of changing the one on the car as well?

Ben Wilson
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: LSD into AW11? Mon, 19 January 2004 01:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
In retrospect, I'd have a good hard look at building a custom mount to fit the E-series transmission into the standard position.

http://www.ben.foo.cc/swap/no-way.jpg

The gearbox really needs to be about 1 cm higher than it is in this picture, but, a custom mount wouldn't be that hard to build to fit there (assuming you have the tools).

Otherwise, the standard trans will work and work well behind a ZE, the only real problem is the lack of a LSD for them...
fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: LSD into AW11? Mon, 19 January 2004 01:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Ben. Lucky there are people like you that take this stuff down Smile
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: LSD into AW11? Mon, 19 January 2004 03:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Freak thats damn a good write-up thread Ben. have to say i've never even seen it though... Shocked

honestly i didnt even go through 1/2 of what you did there to put my 4agze set-up in.. Confused
no cutting or welding at all, i just drilled a couple holes... Laughing
Ben Wilson
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: LSD into AW11? Mon, 19 January 2004 03:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
But I don't have to use a hammer to fit my engine mounts.....
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: LSD into AW11? Mon, 19 January 2004 08:03 Go to previous message
Freak ummmm... Shocked neither did i. Smile
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:nm
Next Topic:X-members and 1G-GTE in a TA23
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-