Toymods » Tech & Conversions » AE86 4AGE 20 value silver top conversion

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
kohoy
Regular

January 2004

AE86 4AGE 20 value silver top conversion Mon, 19 January 2004 05:53 Go to next message
do you guys know anyone/any shop/yourself who does AE86 conversion? If I found a 4AGE 20 value silver top with ecu, loom and sensors.. what else would I need to put it in an aus sprinter? and about how much do you charge to do the conversion for me?
  Send a private message to this user    
shindeokure
Regular

September 2003
Re: AE86 4AGE 20 value silver top conversion Mon, 19 January 2004 05:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ask bmt/idb/toyospares.
bigg willie style
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: AE86 4AGE 20 value silver top conversion Mon, 19 January 2004 06:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
whats bmd and idb?
Dodgy_Haro
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: AE86 4AGE 20 value silver top conversion Mon, 19 January 2004 06:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Have you done your research?

What's the point of retaining the factory ECU unless you're gonna either cut or knock a hole in your firewall (big no no in terms of getting your engine mod legally approved)?

The 20 Valve is a complex conversion due to both plumbing and in the case of upgrading with the usual aftermarket computer + coil packs from a 4AGZE, then finding someone who knows how to tune one ...

If you pay a shop to do it, they will charge big $$$ - it may be easier just to go for either a Blue or Red top conversion.

If you still want to go the 20 Valve way, then you may want to read this article although it's from the US:

http://www.club4ag.com/faq%20and%20tech_pages/ae86 _project%2020V.htm

Lastly, if you don't have a clue of what's involved, you are falling prey to many a workshop which will bum rape you for your money cause they know they can overcharge for it and you'll pay for it not being the wiser ...
Dodgy_Haro
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: AE86 4AGE 20 value silver top conversion Mon, 19 January 2004 07:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dodgy_Haro wrote on Mon, 19 January 2004 17:57

What's the point of retaining the factory ECU

On a side note, the other alternative is to either relocate the distributor to the front hanging off the cam gear or I've heard that Anthony Kellam up here in Qld has a way of retaining it.

Both are gonna add to the costs either way ...

[Updated on: Mon, 19 January 2004 07:00]

TRD-ST162
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: AE86 4AGE 20 value silver top conversion Mon, 19 January 2004 07:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What about puttin a 100kw or a 86kw as most ppl have mentioned and spend a bit on it to get it going harder..

Or just go 4agze...
Dodgy_Haro
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: AE86 4AGE 20 value silver top conversion Mon, 19 January 2004 07:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
In terms of straight line performace, the 4AGZE's the way to go however you can do it the cheap way like many do (just bolt it in) or do it properly (stronger driveline - W55 gearbox, hilux or R200 diff & good brakes). You'll still have to source a RWD manifold as well.

Guess I went the Bluetop way for ease of installation, got used to the power and now have rebuilt another 4AG going in next week - car's been out but at least I got the bay painted yesterday. Smile

Not gonna say anything about expected performance but it certainly won't be stock ... Twisted Evil
4a-c
Regular

April 2003
Re: AE86 4AGE 20 value silver top conversion Mon, 19 January 2004 07:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
20 valve is a bit of a pain. If i could do it again i would probably stick with an 86kw and mod that. I think it'd be a lot easier that way.
kohoy
Regular

January 2004

Re: AE86 4AGE 20 value silver top conversion Mon, 19 January 2004 08:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How is the potential for the 86kw one for mod? I really need at least 110-120kw atw on this car... any suggestion on mods?
Youngy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AE86 4AGE 20 value silver top conversion Mon, 19 January 2004 09:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mind you if your still keen, and can weld (or have a friend that can), you can get the 20 valve in there and looking good.

http://www.toymods.org.au/photo//TechDocs/How%20to %20install%20a%2020v%20in%20RWD%20trim%20properly. pdf

This was with a KE20. But the fundamentals are still the same.
Dodgy_Haro
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: AE86 4AGE 20 value silver top conversion Mon, 19 January 2004 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Most ppl would point you to Bill Sherwood's site if you wanted to know what can be done to a 4AGE ...

Power doesn't come cheap and if you want that much power at the wheels, a S13 Silvia with turbo would be the better way to go - cheaper and easier to attain power gains.

Still, the 4AGZE would be the way to go if you keep the AE86 and want a lot of power. Some say an AE86 in stock form may not take the power of a 4AGZE unless the drive train + gearbox + brakes are upgraded to match. This is assuming you are brutal in driving the car.

Best way is to actually approach ppl on the forums who have already done this - just look in the members forum section and send them an email.
kohoy
Regular

January 2004

Re: AE86 4AGE 20 value silver top conversion Mon, 19 January 2004 09:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The reason why i want a 4AGE is that I want to put it on track... no low torqe is really nothing to me... the problem with the ZE is overheating... so a 4AGE would be better in some way... and the 20 value looks like can be easier to mod up... if I can find a used aftermarket ecu... might be able to solve that out... but... haha... looks like even harder to find a black top...
ae8620v
Regular

March 2004
Re: AE86 4AGE 20 value silver top conversion Tue, 09 March 2004 13:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
this conversion can be done quite well if planned out properly, i'm using a 20v black top and it looks factory. mind you i have access to all the proper equipment. My fire wall has no holes in it, i'm using a wilwood reverse mount pedal box which brings my clutch and brake master cylinders into the car (under dash), custom thermostat housing (no need for ugly pipes running around motor), i'm running four coils. custom 1 5/8" extractors HPC'd and a TRD carbon fibre air box it looks really awsome and will look even better aftre the car is repainted
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: AE86 4AGE 20 value silver top conversion Tue, 09 March 2004 13:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you would have to spend a SHITLOAD of money to get 110kW at the wheels from any 4A-GE (16v or 20v), hence why dodgy haro pointed you towards a 4A-GZE.

Most stockish 4A-GE's produce aroun 50-60kW at the rears (in sprinters and old celicas), hence you are aimng for a 100% power increase from NA mods only - FAT FUCKING CHANCE.

Do some reading on Bill Sherwood;s website and see what he has to say, then rethink what you want to acheive, and how you think you can viably go about that.

oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: AE86 4AGE 20 value silver top conversion Tue, 09 March 2004 13:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmmm, 110kw at the wheels.... since 86kw 4AG get 55kw, thats about172kw at flywheel

150Nm = 172kw at 10,800rpm.

optimistically getting 160Nm means 10,100rpm.

sure it can be done, but thats a lot of revs, and some lightweight pistons and rods!!!
mmm low pressure turbo Smile sayy, 1 bar boost will get you 110kw much easier

Cya, Stewart
HYP04A
Occasional Poster

March 2004
Re: AE86 4AGE 20 value silver top conversion Tue, 09 March 2004 23:34 Go to previous message
i have to agree you get alot more out of 4agze
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Whirling sound from gearbox..
Next Topic:low idle
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 02:55:39 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.006929874420166 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.