Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » price for AE86 4AGE conversion?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
genkin
Regular

January 2004
price for AE86 4AGE conversion? Sun, 18 January 2004 04:13 Go to next message
just wondering what people have paid for an all up 4age conversion into an aussie AE86? Including parts and workshop labour.

has anyone from SA had it done? if so, where?
  Send a private message to this user    
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: price for AE86 4AGE conversion? Sun, 18 January 2004 04:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
u may want to specify your chosen variety of ge
SprinterBoy
Regular

January 2004
Re: price for AE86 4AGE conversion? Sun, 18 January 2004 05:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well, i got told 9,000 for a GZE conversion for my "AE86" so i told them to jump, i could do it myself for less than 5G.
this is in canberra mind you so it's going to be a rip anywhere i go Evil or Very Mad
genkin
Regular

January 2004
Re: price for AE86 4AGE conversion? Sun, 18 January 2004 05:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sorry,
well i would like to get some price info about all 16V 4AGEs.
not fussed over blue/red 88/100kw atmo.
but please let me know which ones your referring to in your posts.
shindeokure
Regular

September 2003
Re: price for AE86 4AGE conversion? Sun, 18 January 2004 13:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i believe the going rate is about $3500-4000 for a bluetop 4age installed in melbourne. i'd assume the price in sa would be similar, if not a little more expensive.
faulksy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: price for AE86 4AGE conversion? Sun, 18 January 2004 14:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my ke30 4agze conversion cost me about $5 to 5.5k. the car already had a 4age in it so no engine mounts were required. this included a new gearbox as mine was shagged, intercooler front mounted, supply of motor and loom and after market ecu fitted and tuned.

so to take in the equation

gearbox $450
engine and loom $1300
microtech $1200
tuning $300-400 approx
front mounting $? have no idea at a guess 200-300

some of these prices can be taken off your estimate. but remembering that since your car is carby you will need add appropiate fuel system aswell

best of luck
commander
Regular

January 2004
Re: price for AE86 4AGE conversion? Sun, 18 January 2004 20:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i could give a idea of what my last one
as well as my next engine swap would cost.

gasket - $60
tools - $100
pipes - $100
extras - $100
lapping compound - $5
paint - $15
i'm forgetting something... add $100
so it's $480 minimum for a "quick rebuild"

blue top "core" - $115
ecm - $25
i'll need to replace pipes - $200
fuel pump - $50
head gasket - $50
shims - like $160 ?
rad - $49
vacuume junk - 30
extras - $100
valve kit - ? lets say $150
clutch - $175
bolts - $60
air intake mods - $50-100
electrical mods $50-100
rings - $80
tools - $100
extra extras - $100
for a grand total of

~~~~~~~~1544~~~~~~~~~~1,560.17 AUD ----
rob-ae86
Regular

November 2002
Re: price for AE86 4AGE conversion? Mon, 19 January 2004 01:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
are there any workshops out there that can source the engine and fit it?
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: price for AE86 4AGE conversion? Mon, 19 January 2004 01:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i know its not a ae86, but, to date my 4AGE conversion owes me just short of 7k and i'm still going.
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: price for AE86 4AGE conversion? Mon, 19 January 2004 01:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I did mine for around $800 Smile including engine!
rob-ae86
Regular

November 2002
Re: price for AE86 4AGE conversion? Mon, 19 January 2004 01:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TurboRA28 wrote on Mon, 19 January 2004 12:53

I did mine for around $800 Smile including engine!

wanna do mine Very Happy
Dodgy_Haro
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: price for AE86 4AGE conversion? Mon, 19 January 2004 02:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mine cost $6K up here in QLD performed by Robin Berado from Perfourmance Motorsports (www.pms.net.au) however it was expensive for the following reasons:

1) I paid extra premium for an AE86 motor + gearbox (jap spec);
2) The initial motor had a knock in it which meant purchasing another Bluetop ($450) + labour to refit it in ($500);
3) Extra labour time to fit a jap spec rear AE86 diff with rear disc brakes.

If you do the work yourself, you will save heaps of $$$. Unfortunately at that time, I knew no one.

Now, I have mates that will do labour for free so it's just a matter of paying for parts - hence why I'm able to save a bit on the new engine now going in ...
Panda Tofu ^_^
Regular

January 2004
Re: price for AE86 4AGE conversion? Mon, 19 January 2004 06:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
genkin, if u want i can get my m8 to do the engine labour cheap since he does it at his home so pm me if u want, also a 4age will cost u round 1,100 in adelaide. i'm also in adelaide so i can pop over and take a look at what needs to be done if u want.
Callifo
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: price for AE86 4AGE conversion? Mon, 19 January 2004 07:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hrm I might be looking at this soon as well, and the best I could find was $5k for 4age 16v install with all labour and parts included.
pro_ke
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: price for AE86 4AGE conversion? Mon, 19 January 2004 07:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
5 grand + to make 55kw at the wheels, bargain!
genkin
Regular

January 2004
Re: price for AE86 4AGE conversion? Mon, 19 January 2004 09:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cheers for all the replies.
I think it would be best (keeping budget in mind) if i could get it done out of a workshop.

Thanks heaps for the offer Panda Tofu ^_^
I might have to get back to you in a few months on that one. Very Happy

I have some friends who have toyota conversion experience, but most have been carby-carby straight fits. the idea of carby-efi scares me a bit.

One more thing, anyone know where i can find maybe a walkthrough for a 4AC - 4AGE 16V conversion online?
maybe some rebuild specs too?

cheers all
Green_Comet
Regular

August 2003
Re: price for AE86 4AGE conversion? Mon, 19 January 2004 10:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
5 grand..... Rolling Eyes
sell your sprinter, add the 5 grand to it and your not short of importing one from japan with everything u want in it!!
That would b the better option, i think Very Happy

As for the carbys, i think they rock!! Twin sidedafts on a 4age looks way cooler than the stock throttle body and manifold, and sounds heaps better!! gives it that old school look!! Heard they are a bitch to tune though.
check out club4age, got heaps of info on engine swaps and carbs on 4age! good luck on your conversion...

[Updated on: Mon, 19 January 2004 10:19]

Dodgy_Haro
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: price for AE86 4AGE conversion? Mon, 19 January 2004 14:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
genkin wrote on Mon, 19 January 2004 20:38

One more thing, anyone know where i can find maybe a walkthrough for a 4AC - 4AGE 16V conversion online?
maybe some rebuild specs too?

http://www.geocities.com/project_post/
frank_grimes
Regular

May 2002
Re: price for AE86 4AGE conversion? Tue, 20 January 2004 00:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pm steve-ae86

he loves doing ae86 engine conversions..
slydar
Regular

December 2003
Re: price for AE86 4AGE conversion? Tue, 20 January 2004 01:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its a really easy conversion. i did it myself with a tool kit i bought the day the engine arrived. i bought an ae86 engine package, which included loom and computer, and also gearbox.

here are the only "complications"

if you use the jap gearbox, youll need to remount the hydraulic cable end for the clutch, and make up a new hard line cos the slave is on the opposite side on the jdm box. you can bend the line the right shape with your hands.

joining the heater hoses. just use whats left attached to your new engine, and cut and join it to the orginal heater hose. hose clamps and some short sections of pipe is all you will need. same deal possibly with the rad' hoses, but you should have everything you need left over from the original engine.

youll need a surge tank, pre-pump, and efi pump. you can use the pump from a camira, its external. like $50 from the wreckers. any low pressure electric fuel pump will do for a pre pump. and you can get a surge tank from anywhere nowadays. i had my exhuast shop make mine for $80. if you need explantion of how the system works pm me. i just used the original fuel lines.. i think i might have used the carbon canister line for return even.

theres an extra plug needed to plug into the computer which you probably wont get, i sourced this from a 4wd corrolla wagon. 4afe engined.

i left the wiring to my local run of the mill auto elcetrician, i told him "its the same engine as an early twin cam corrolla" they wired the fuel pump, which required some relays. wired the alternator as a section of the loom had been cut there, and thats about it, $300. i gave them some wiring diagrams printed from club4ag.com

intake i had my exhaust shop bend me a pipe, and used a cheap pod from auto pro.

the washer/coolant overflow bottles are in the wrong place, i just discarded the washer bottle and mounted the original overflow between the grill and rad' support.

i hired an engine hoist. if you hire friday you get it all weekend, thats all i needed to get the completely disconnected engine and box out, and the new one in.

i didnt change the clutch, didnt rebuild, took out and put in both engines still attached to the gearbox, its tight, but do-able.

flat towed the car from my parents garage to the auto electrician, drove it from there to the exhaust shop. my package cam with the secondaries. it was loud, but it was only like a 400m drive.

thats it. if you ever think youd like to try an engine conversion yourself, this is where to start, its probably about the simplest one ever.

i did it in 3 weeks, with no real prior mechanical experiance. i think i was 17 or just 18. you could do it in less for sure, but i have quite a temper, so i just did it at my own pace, and left it when something was being disagreeable.

id be willing to help you out with whatever advice i can give. id say anyone could do the bulk of the mechanical work, and that will save you alot.

definately get an ae86 package if you are wanting to do it cheaply, and dont care if its red or blue ect.
genkin
Regular

January 2004
Re: price for AE86 4AGE conversion? Wed, 21 January 2004 10:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks heaps for all the replies guys.

what are the legalities of this engine conversion.
will i need a new RWC?

slydar - was the conversion you mentioned above legally okay?
did it comply?
slydar
Regular

December 2003
Re: price for AE86 4AGE conversion? Wed, 21 January 2004 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
might depend on the state. i never bothered to do antying about anything like that.. BUT this is not my recomendation, just what i did/got away with. i actually sold the car registered with a safety cert.

there is no actual modifications to engine mounts ect, the block is indentical. you might need engineering for the efi conversion though, they would just need to make sure the fuel system is sound. also they might want you to run an unleaded fuel filler neck, and a catalytic converter.

ive had a friend with a jdm engine conversion (same as mine) and also running jdm disc brake diff. he bought it like that, and it had an engineers blue plate for the diff conversion, but not the engine.

best to just consult your local traffic authority about this really. but anyway, doubt you would have alot of trouble getting engineering approval, if you needed it.
shcao
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: price for AE86 4AGE conversion? Tue, 28 September 2004 09:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just finished my conversion.

costed me about 6k complete.
It's got a haltech.
But a shitty pea shooter exhaust.

Producing 62kw at the wheels. Pretty pricey. BTW, I don't think my mechanic wired up the heater Sad.

I am so pissed off, cause thats how much my brother paid for a whole JDM car and the labour of transplanting everything. (LSD, suspension, trueno panels).
rrrrr

sucks balls dude.
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: price for AE86 4AGE conversion? Tue, 28 September 2004 10:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dude, you got ripped
shcao
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: price for AE86 4AGE conversion? Tue, 28 September 2004 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh wells.

you live, you learn.
Satoshi
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: price for AE86 4AGE conversion? Tue, 28 September 2004 12:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jesse...u bought another sprinter?
koen
Regular

March 2004
Re: price for AE86 4AGE conversion? Wed, 29 September 2004 02:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shcao: Have you got any plans/info about getting a new exhaust? I'm running a 4AGE with a modded stock exhaust as well and i'm thinking about getting a new one made up, but i'm not sure where to get it done or how much it'll cost. Know any good exhaust shops in Melb?

At the moment i'm thinking about just a 2" press bent mild steel pipe and a single offset pipe style muffler - CLG recommended this in another thread and it sounds like it should be pretty cheap and would flow well.

[Updated on: Wed, 29 September 2004 02:21]

drift86levin
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: price for AE86 4AGE conversion? Wed, 29 September 2004 02:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i dunno what time frame other ppl had done theres in..but i got my AE92 4AGZE front cut on friday 11am..had my JDM coupe sitting in the garage, disconnected wiring 30mins..pulled motor and box out in one swift flick of the block and tackle..45mins..

front cut took me the rest of the fucking night and most of the next day to get the motor out! i hate front wheel drives!!

sunday morning put the 4AGZE + box in all together..bolted up the exhaust, re done all the cooling hoses and heater hoses..had some time to polish the HP coated extractors..and the cam covers to give it some bling.. done..so if i had the motor and all from the front cut out next to me befor i started..i prolly would have knocked it over in 1 day..it is a peice of piss! just me and a mate..were both 19..

then theres the wiring which i got done by Anthony..the only thing you pay for is time..but it's all worth it Very Happy
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: price for AE86 4AGE conversion? Wed, 29 September 2004 03:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wiring is my favourite bit! Very Happy

it is an easy conversion, but there are a couple of things i did differently.

# Bellhousing. i used the standard AE71 item, and got the "banjo bolt clutch hose" from Anthony Kellam to clear the exhaust. all standard clutch lines are then used Smile

# Clutch. since i used a 100kW 4age, i bought the standard daiken SX clutch with a different throwout bearing. MASSIF $200 there Rolling Eyes

# Fuel. YOU MUST replace any rubber hoses that are after the high pressure pump with EFI fuel hose. Standard carby line cannot handle the 40+psi experienced after the HP pump. I also got some nifty fuel hose clamps which have chamfered edges to avoid cutting the rubber

# Exhaust. Bought new headers from Anthony Kellam. $280 or so, then got new exhaust with new O2 sensor. 2" press bent

# REPLACE YOUR FRONT AND REAR MAIN SEALS!! Might as well do the camshaft seals whilst you are there. Cheap insurance really.
drift86levin
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: price for AE86 4AGE conversion? Wed, 29 September 2004 04:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i agree with WITZL..

if you have the cams out..i would suggest doing the valve stem seals..they are a common thing to wear out (voice of one of my merchanic friends who works for toyota)

but where do you stop?!!! it really is good insurance if you do as many seals as you can..having that said..it's not hard to do once the motor is in there and you find out they leak a bit..
Flogbag
Regular

December 2003
Re: price for AE86 4AGE conversion? Wed, 29 September 2004 07:25 Go to previous message
i think i have spent close to 4k on my 20v sprinter

$650 motor
$1150 microtech $300 tune
$350 extractors plus exhaust (thanks "The dayo")
$200 in seals,timing belt,plugs,waterpump,fan belt
$250 for hoses, clamps, wire, shrink wrap, connectors, solder
$200 trunmpets and socks
$150 custom leads
$35 rwd 4age alt backet
$free thermo fan
$40 relays and holders
$40 rwd 4age heater outlet plus metal to make outlets

theres $3365

now i need new clutch, valve stem seals, front crank seal, timing belt idler pulley, brake upgrade,

in nsw rang rta u dont need engineers cirtifacte only blue slip and have the vehicle fitted with emitions that the motor came with

for wat its worth to do a conversion and all the headaches id buy something thats already fast....
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:SV21 do they use hydrulic\cable clutch?
Next Topic:MA61 and MA70 front end
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 21:08:58 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0060179233551025 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.