Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » biggest rims an 86 will take?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Panda Tofu ^_^
Regular

January 2004
biggest rims an 86 will take? Mon, 19 January 2004 06:52 Go to next message
Who can tell me the biggest size rims that will fit a sprinter without remoulding the wheel skirts?
  Send a private message to this user    
TRD-ST162
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: biggest rims an 86 will take? Mon, 19 January 2004 06:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Panda Tofu ^_^ wrote on Mon, 19 January 2004 17:52

Who can tell me the biggest size rims that will fit a sprinter without remoulding the wheel skirts?

I think 17's would fit just...
18's u'd be pushing it, u'd have to roll the guards etc.
Thats what i've heard..

U'll get more informed advice soon enough though!!
Dodgy_Haro
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: biggest rims an 86 will take? Mon, 19 January 2004 07:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Why rice a classic? Confused

Any greater than 15's and the Japanese will be laughing ...

Still, 16's will fit no probs ... I've yet to see 17's on a Sprinter however I believe this will infringe the additional 2 inch increase you're allowed over the stock factory wheels? Sprinters only came out with 14's in the first place.

The real trick is to get rims which are deep dish / wide - even 13 x 7's look tough on an AE86. Also, correct tyre sizes - 185/60/14's or 195/50/15's go nicely.

For example, my next set of rims arrive this week - 15x6.5 Front and 15x7 at the rear:

http://www.option1garage.com.au/15%20x%206.5%20&%207%20wheels.jpg

ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: biggest rims an 86 will take? Mon, 19 January 2004 07:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
14's look the best in my opinion when dished and WIDE
followed by 15's

[Updated on: Mon, 19 January 2004 07:09]

shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: biggest rims an 86 will take? Mon, 19 January 2004 07:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
those wheels look nice dodgy, i have the same design on my borrowed honda civic.

im sure you made a mistake and mmeant to say "the 6.5s will go on the back, and the 7s will go on the front, as this is good for dorifting " Very Happy Laughing

i just bought rims today, w00t! 15 by 6.5 20P offset, im looking forward to shoving them on.
purpleminiep
Regular

May 2002
Re: biggest rims an 86 will take? Mon, 19 January 2004 07:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Club4ag has a good wheel guide from a japanese site
http://www.club4ag.com/faq%20and%20tech_pages/Whee l%20Guide.htm

My favourite are the cherry blossom wheels.

I agree 14in and a big shinny dish.

Brad
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: biggest rims an 86 will take? Mon, 19 January 2004 07:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i love the shiny cherry blossoms too

Very Happy
Skaney
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: biggest rims an 86 will take? Mon, 19 January 2004 08:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
17s fit no worrys. Bought the car with them on and would only ever scrape at full lock pulling into my driveway.
Gaurds are rolled, but not very well.
Spacers were used on the front.
Youngy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: biggest rims an 86 will take? Mon, 19 January 2004 09:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dodgy_Haro wrote on Mon, 19 January 2004 18:07

Still, 16's will fit no probs ... I've yet to see 17's on a Sprinter however I believe this will infringe the additional 2 inch increase you're allowed over the stock factory wheels? Sprinters only came out with 14's in the first place.

Well I have to disagree and clarify a few things said here Daryl. First and foremost there is no limit to the increase in the diameter of your rims (the entire wheel yes, not the rim). You can un any size rim and tire in terms of diameter as long as you do not exceed the factory diameter by more than 15 mm

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/downloads/v si09_rev4.pdf

Thus you could have 17s on your car and with 45s (based on a 205\45) you would be 6.6mm bigger than the factory 13s in overall diameter - legal as!!

There are restrictions on width increases according to weight, see link.

I personally run 17s on my sprinter, the gaurds have not been rolled nor does ANY scraping occur. This is all to do with the correct offset being used for the wheel. No spacers needed.

If this is rice so be it. But <16s don't clear my calipers.... Very Happy

Is Akira Iida's 86 running 16s in that options video? I hope he didn't get laughed at......... Rolling Eyes

[Updated on: Mon, 19 January 2004 09:28]

Dodgy_Haro
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: biggest rims an 86 will take? Mon, 19 January 2004 09:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No offense Paul ... blimey, 16's barely clearly your calipers? What have you got? 4x4 brakes or something? Smile

I've never been pulled over for having oversized wheels but I have heard that there was a 2inch increase rule going around.

You'd be hard pressed to find any Sprinters in Japanese which go larger from 15's however their focus is more performance orientated in the sense that they don't tend to match huge rims with relatively underpowered cars.

Akira's is probably an exception but his car's in a league of its own - even N2 AE86's with the flares run 15's ...

I know I shouldn't generalize but I am just reacting to an ill feeling I had when I saw a stock standard 4AC Sprinter here in Queensland which had huge chromies (either 16 or 17) and the usual cannon muffler ... Mad

Perhaps it is not the size but rather chromies which made the car rice ... Confused

[Updated on: Mon, 19 January 2004 09:33]

bootheman
Regular

March 2003

Re: biggest rims an 86 will take? Mon, 19 January 2004 09:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
this is mine with 17x7" advan GTR's
i had 20mm spacers on the front and they wheels wernt a issue slower launch even with the old ct20 putten out 12psi.

thier a hard ride thus why i have the 14" watanabee's now Laughing Laughing

http://members.iinet.net.au/~bootheman/stuff/New%20Folder/sprinter-8.jpg

http://members.iinet.net.au/~bootheman/stuff/New%20Folder/sprinter-9.jpg
Youngy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: biggest rims an 86 will take? Mon, 19 January 2004 09:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No worries Daryl,

But as far as brakes go I have 28x330mm rotors with 4 spot AP Racing calipers. The stopping power is pretty impressive. I was going to run 16s with this set-up but could not get enough clearance. So up a size with the rim and down a size with the tire sidewall............ Rolling Eyes

Have to admit I'm not too keen on chromies myself.

[Updated on: Mon, 19 January 2004 09:44]

ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: biggest rims an 86 will take? Mon, 19 January 2004 09:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the car looks too high with 16/17 inch wheels

i run 14's, it works and looks good enough im my opinion

http://www.crayonline.com/trueno/trueno6s.jpg

never been a fan of big heavy wheels when they arent really needed
Skaney
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: biggest rims an 86 will take? Mon, 19 January 2004 11:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
When I said scrape, I should of said scrub.. they rubbed the inside splash gaurd at full lock and when you go over something (car had lowered lovells springs in the front which also had a coil taken out of it)
When downsizing I went for 16s over 15s as I dont chuck the car around much and I love the lack of sidewall flex. I reckon 16" superlites have a much nicer spoke patern than 15" too, Ricey I know.. Smile
Skaney
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: biggest rims an 86 will take? Mon, 19 January 2004 12:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
When I said scrape, I should of said scrub.. they rubbed the inside splash gaurd at full lock and when you go over something (car had lowered lovells springs in the front which also had a coil taken out of it)
When downsizing I went for 16s over 15s as I dont chuck the car around much and I love the lack of sidewall flex. I reckon 16" superlites have a much nicer spoke patern than 15" too, Ricey I know.. Smile
Callifo
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: biggest rims an 86 will take? Mon, 19 January 2004 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ae86drift: Those wheel suit your car extremely well. They match the colour skeem well, and me wants (your car Smile )
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: biggest rims an 86 will take? Mon, 19 January 2004 12:25 Go to previous message
haha cheers man

im gettnig rid of em soon

ill post pics when they are on the cars
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:M Motor info
Next Topic:center console removal. how?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 06:06:06 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0054149627685547 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar