Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Octane effect on 4AGE Sat, 17 January 2004 11:11 Go to next message
I was just wondering whether there is any advantage of running 95 or 98 octane in a stock 4age in an AE82. It has a mechanical distributor, so assuming no pinging with 91 octane would there be any benefit to performance in running the higher octane. I know our 85 model camry had a vacuum advance on the distributor to allow grater advance at higher rpm and certain load conditions, does the 4age have an electronic system that can determine if its running better petrol and hence run greater advance. Do you think maybe you would have to advance the base timing on the distributor to gain an improvment - setting it so it doesn't ping with 98 octane but pings with the lower octane. I know the later model cars have knock sensors etc which can take advantage of the higher octane. Thanks
  Send a private message to this user    
SW20R
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: Octane effect on 4AGE Sat, 17 January 2004 13:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you'll notice abit more mid range passing power (pre-tvis).

short the diagnostic terminals. run the timing light and it should give the factory setting. add another 5deg then bring the idle adjustment down on the throttle body
SXer
Regular

May 2002
icon14.gif  Re: Octane effect on 4AGE Mon, 19 January 2004 06:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I can definitely feel an improvement i nmy ae82 tc when running on optimax/ultimate. Smoother & more grunt. I also get better economy (though not enough to make up for the extra cost).
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Octane effect on 4AGE Mon, 19 January 2004 12:36 Go to previous message
I thought mine ran a bit better on the higher octane but wasn't sure if imagination. Why do you need to short the diagnostic terminals. cant you just check the advance and should be about 12deg BTDC, but the w/shp manual seems to give a range of values it should be like 12-16 deg or something.
Thanks,Ben
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Do 5M's have the same problem as 7M's?
Next Topic:M Motor info
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Jun 1 12:56:57 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0031189918518066 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.