Toymods » General Car Talk » best performance car buy for around 10k

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
best performance car buy for around 10k Sun, 18 January 2004 04:25 Go to next message
as above.
i'd like to hear some opinions.

[Updated on: Sun, 18 January 2004 04:25]

Send a private message to this user    
cytribe
Regular

June 2003
Re: best performance car buy for around 10k Sun, 18 January 2004 04:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My brain says a lightly modded second hand s13 silvia, my heart says find a gze'd or 20v sprinter Smile (very rare but not impossible)
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: best performance car buy for around 10k Sun, 18 January 2004 05:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Define "performance". Are we talking $10k stock, or $10k with mods?

I'd be looking very closely at an MA71 Supra for that money. Although the idea of owning anything with a 7M scares me a little...
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: best performance car buy for around 10k Sun, 18 January 2004 05:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
2jzge ma61 Cool
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: best performance car buy for around 10k Sun, 18 January 2004 05:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If we're talking modified, why settle for an atmo engine? You could probably do a 1JZ-GTE conversion for that money!
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: best performance car buy for around 10k Sun, 18 January 2004 05:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
He never said it couldn't be modified.....but im biased
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: best performance car buy for around 10k Sun, 18 January 2004 07:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i am just thinking ahead.
i dont really wanna do a conversion, because as we all know. conversions are probably not the most economical option.

i am just thinking about buying a nice quick car for about 10k

yes, ma70's are on the shortlist.

mayb i should have been more specific; performance must be matched with style haha
i.e. no sleeper ae71 turbos Laughing
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: best performance car buy for around 10k Sun, 18 January 2004 07:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ma70 is the one for you my friend Cool
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: best performance car buy for around 10k Sun, 18 January 2004 08:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
with 10k
dont get a supra

get a modded GZE sprinter or something previously worked

STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: best performance car buy for around 10k Sun, 18 January 2004 08:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nah, not a sprinter, not a gze.

but yeh def. something with goodies already
Camry_omega
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: best performance car buy for around 10k Sun, 18 January 2004 11:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What about a celica of some description, i was going to sat a gt-4 but i don't think you would get any change out of 10k, ever for an 86-89 model.
Ozzie
Regular

December 2003
Re: best performance car buy for around 10k Sun, 18 January 2004 12:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
In terms of looks the business, easy to find, reliable, cheap for parts and huge potential for mods - S13 180SX CA18DET 5spd, straight off the boat with under 150,000kms. Usually some coil overs, off panels and exhaust thrown in for free Smile
ta23
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: best performance car buy for around 10k Sun, 18 January 2004 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ozzie wrote on Sun, 18 January 2004 23:07

In terms of looks the business, easy to find, reliable, cheap for parts and huge potential for mods - S13 180SX CA18DET 5spd, straight off the boat with under 150,000kms. Usually some coil overs, off panels and exhaust thrown in for free Smile

Why not the S13 180 with SR20DET? a lot better and more reliable motor than the CA18DET, although a little more pricey.

[Updated on: Sun, 18 January 2004 12:14]

Ozzie
Regular

December 2003
Re: best performance car buy for around 10k Sun, 18 January 2004 12:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You said it mate - pricey. For the SR20 in good nick, it's more like 13-14k. Any 10k SR20 is likely to be a shitter. Smile
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: best performance car buy for around 10k Sun, 18 January 2004 12:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i can sell you a nice condition fairmont for $4500 Very Happy Rolling Eyes
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: best performance car buy for around 10k Sun, 18 January 2004 12:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
VS SS? Smile

seriously, i would probably go the s13 over the ma70 for performance as their are so many parts available but the build quality of the ma70 shits all over the s13. So...?
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: best performance car buy for around 10k Sun, 18 January 2004 12:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mad damn you! :- Silvias are amoungst the epitimy of rice rockets/ disgrace to japanese cars! they're as bad as hondas! I cant believe someone suggested one over an ma70 Crying or Very Sad

just...disgraceful No No No
shcao
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: best performance car buy for around 10k Sun, 18 January 2004 13:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nah.. you can't top lancers and civics as kings and queens of rice rockets.

Silvias do go pretty decently anyways..

Definitely got my recommondation.

rock on.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: best performance car buy for around 10k Sun, 18 January 2004 14:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Silvias only suck because there are so many around, and the vast majority of them are shit-tins. If you can look past that though, it's a cheap way to get a small RWD turbo car with lots of go-fast bits available.
shcao
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: best performance car buy for around 10k Sun, 18 January 2004 14:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Couldn't have worded it better myself Smile.

But it's due to the number of them that makes the go hard bits and parts so cheap..

laters
SetMeFree
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: best performance car buy for around 10k Sun, 18 January 2004 14:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well hmmmm how about this take your money and get down to the auctions stolen/repossesed/stolen recovered cars go for dirt cheap youd have yourself a lightly modified R32 GTS-t complete on the road with 12mnths rego repaired and everything it needs 4 less that $7500 my friends own R32s and none of there have costed over $8000 complete my best mate owns a 200Sx which was damaged he repaired it and rego'd it 4 $10,000
Draza
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: best performance car buy for around 10k Sun, 18 January 2004 21:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well i'm a bit bias but i say go for a celica, GT4. The ST165 u should be able to pick up for 10k.
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: best performance car buy for around 10k Sun, 18 January 2004 21:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my RA65 celica has costed me around 10k... (will be more onece the paint job is finished)

dont think u can get much better than that !! Smiley =

(ps its not for sale hehhe)

there are MANY cars u can get for under 10k that is value for money... just make sure that everything works on the car i.e. turbos dont blow up as soon as u drive away...)
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: best performance car buy for around 10k Sun, 18 January 2004 23:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i cant believe nobody has mentioned the series 5 RX7, that would be ok,

and if you want to stretch the budget, a series 6 rx7 with a 1jzgte conversion would be good
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: best performance car buy for around 10k Sun, 18 January 2004 23:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shinybluesteel wrote on Mon, 19 January 2004 10:06

i cant believe nobody has mentioned the series 5 RX7, that would be ok,

and if you want to stretch the budget, a series 6 rx7 with a 1jzgte conversion would be good

Rolling Eyes i don't think the budget is that stretchy
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: best performance car buy for around 10k Sun, 18 January 2004 23:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ST165 GT4. Origional. Fast. Fun to drive. Sleeper. Creature Comforts like climate control, super nice seats and stuff.

It isn't a dragway straightline car like an MA70 but has a tough as engine. (no HG issues Smile )
shcao
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: best performance car buy for around 10k Mon, 19 January 2004 00:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Series 5 RX7s are still above 13k for an Australian delivered one..

Jap imports are a smidge over 10k once you got rego and compliance, and are on the road.. And you can't get em till later this year (only 1989 models).

Series 6 with a 1j... pphhhheewwww.. That's over the top of most peoples heads here Smile..

32k for 1992 model is the average. Thats just with the stock 13b REW mind you.
shcao
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: best performance car buy for around 10k Mon, 19 January 2004 00:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Also, a stock series 5 RX7 actually underperforms to most cars in it's class..

But if you mildly tweak it.. they actually perform a lot better.

rock on.
Caledwvech
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: best performance car buy for around 10k Mon, 19 January 2004 00:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ma70 all the way. And I am in no way biased. Rolling Eyes Very Happy

You can pick up a good one for 10k and all those people who say the hg is an issue might be right, but it is very rare that you will find a ma70 that has been looked after that hasnt had their hg replaced or at least tightened.
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: best performance car buy for around 10k Mon, 19 January 2004 00:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cause they are SOOOoooo reliable Razz

MA70 or GT4 would be my two picks. It all depends on what you want.. RWD fastness or trade a little of that speed for 4WD goodness Very Happy
Caledwvech
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: best performance car buy for around 10k Mon, 19 January 2004 01:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A LITTLE of that speed????? Very Happy

Also, the gt4 is impossible to do anything to as the engine bay is so full you couldnt fit one finger in!

This is just going to become a Celica vs Supra argument. Very Happy
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: best performance car buy for around 10k Mon, 19 January 2004 01:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that is because you don't NEED to do anything. Ultra tough internals just waiting for the boost to be wound up Very Happy yes, a "little" Smile

http://www.rallycars.com/Cars/Toyota_GT4/Street_Ce lica_ST165.html

you can get these for 10k easy with $$ left over. this link os for stock. This is quicker than the MA70 stock.
Caledwvech
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: best performance car buy for around 10k Mon, 19 January 2004 02:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah quicker than a stock ma70 cause a stock supra only has 4psi. Tighten the HG, and wind that up to 10psi, and it will peforem far better. Very Happy
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: best performance car buy for around 10k Mon, 19 January 2004 02:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh, you mean start modifying it? Very Happy
Caledwvech
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: best performance car buy for around 10k Mon, 19 January 2004 02:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So basically str, as has been said before, it all comes down to what you want in your car. Straight line speed get a ma70 (forget about silvia's etc, they are hunks of junk), cornering speed get a 165 (cannot beat the 4wd for cornering happiness). Very Happy
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: best performance car buy for around 10k Mon, 19 January 2004 03:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
supra wins for looks too Smiley =

(and petrol consumption)
Caledwvech
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: best performance car buy for around 10k Mon, 19 January 2004 03:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I just thought of that. Smile

If you are not interested in the sleeper look, and want a mean looking machine, the supra all the way. Smile
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: best performance car buy for around 10k Mon, 19 January 2004 03:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just get what YOU want dude Smile We all have our biases. I like the Supra, unpredictable as they are, and I like the Celica, small capacity engine as it is.
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: best performance car buy for around 10k Mon, 19 January 2004 04:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Very Happy Very Happy
yer this is kinda what i expected from this thread. Laughing
most everyone has their own idea about performance.
i was just tryin to see if there were any other performance cars that i hadn't thought of that may fit the bill.

thanks for your input guys!
i think i may head towards the supra. then mayb one day ill have the whole set Very Happy

Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: best performance car buy for around 10k Mon, 19 January 2004 04:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You could look at a 1J cressie for around that too if you and cop *issues* Laughing on of those would be my daily driver anyday.
Evil_Foetus
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: best performance car buy for around 10k Mon, 19 January 2004 06:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the answer lies in your avatar. Evil or Very Mad
ViNcEnXo
Regular

July 2003
Re: best performance car buy for around 10k Mon, 19 January 2004 07:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Along with the MA70 suggestions, why not consider an MZ20 Soarer.

Just something a little bit different but every bit as much fun! Throw some coil overs on it and it'll outhandle a celica... My Soarer sits on my dads V5 2door STi's butt through corners!
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: best performance car buy for around 10k Mon, 19 January 2004 07:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes
soarers are def. also on the short list!
i reckon 10g's could net me a nice import mz20
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: best performance car buy for around 10k Mon, 19 January 2004 07:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ma61
7m-gte
mods
winner Smile
ViNcEnXo
Regular

July 2003
Re: best performance car buy for around 10k Mon, 19 January 2004 07:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
STR8 2.8 wrote on Mon, 19 January 2004 17:11

yes

Absolutely! I'd even let mine go for $10,000...
SetMeFree
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: best performance car buy for around 10k Mon, 19 January 2004 07:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AUCTIONS AUCTIONS AUCTIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! think about this when your at a club and a 19-21 yr old with legs up 2 her ass asks you "what do you drive" and you say celica or sprinter what would her reaction be if you told her your drove a 200sx or a wrx?

sex is good its even better when its in the back of a wrx and knowing its yours Smile

[Updated on: Mon, 19 January 2004 07:55]

Camry_omega
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: best performance car buy for around 10k Mon, 19 January 2004 08:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well if want that kinda action what u need as a sports wagon of some description, that way there is plenty of room.
In all seriousness i would chose either a celica or supra.
(st-162 or a ma70)
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: best performance car buy for around 10k Mon, 19 January 2004 08:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmms ..

turbo or non turbo , small car , or large car ..

modified or stock ..

For stock - ma70 is a nice cruiser

for modified , something like a 3tgte early celica , or FFed sprinter with mods to make either handle would be fun

For handling , and minor mods , st165 celica ( boost upgrade , suspension tweaks - fun awd turbo on the relatively cheap )..

Ozzie
Regular

December 2003
Re: best performance car buy for around 10k Mon, 19 January 2004 10:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TryUrLuk wrote on Mon, 19 January 2004 18:53

AUCTIONS AUCTIONS AUCTIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! think about this when your at a club and a 19-21 yr old with legs up 2 her ass asks you "what do you drive" and you say celica or sprinter what would her reaction be if you told her your drove a 200sx or a wrx?

sex is good its even better when its in the back of a wrx and knowing its yours Smile

If you need a car to pull, there's something wrong. Razz
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: best performance car buy for around 10k Mon, 19 January 2004 13:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i converted my bogan friend into buying a 86 celica (3sge) for $7k instead of a crappy commodore, he now knows toyota are superior. The celica is a great cruising car! and is very lite on fuel.

But my MA70 supra cost me $2500! it had a little front damage which i fixed myself and spray painted myself all for under $1000!
So lets see my MA70 turbo all up cost $3500 that leaves me with $6500 to mod it up or do an engine conversion without losing money! (i could sell it for $10k right now)

celica or supra are both excellent cars, you can't go wrong either way.

SetMeFree
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: best performance car buy for around 10k Mon, 19 January 2004 15:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ozzie: i dont know about you but i believe the more is better... a nice ass car turns a few more heads... honestly wouldnt you like to cruise around with power and style?...... and still be into the modern modified car scene. In all seriousness in the end are you going to tell your son that back in your hoe days you were cruising around in a celica from yesteryear or a 200sx which was intense at the time and laying off as much girls as you could handle. A car is like an accessory like a thick piece of gold around your neck.. thats how i picture my cars.......
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: best performance car buy for around 10k Mon, 19 January 2004 23:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TryUrLuk wrote on Tue, 20 January 2004 01:08

A car is like an accessory like a thick piece of gold around your neck.. thats how i picture my cars.......

BAAAAhahahahaha!!! Laughing

I think I'm going to wet myself... Laughing
coronamark2
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: best performance car buy for around 10k Tue, 20 January 2004 01:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TryUrLuk wrote on Mon, 19 January 2004 23:08

Ozzie: i dont know about you but i believe the more is better... a nice ass car turns a few more heads... honestly wouldnt you like to cruise around with power and style?...... and still be into the modern modified car scene. In all seriousness in the end are you going to tell your son that back in your hoe days you were cruising around in a celica from yesteryear or a 200sx which was intense at the time and laying off as much girls as you could handle. A car is like an accessory like a thick piece of gold around your neck.. thats how i picture my cars.......

picking up Mrs palmer in mums car is not cool.
rvrolla
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: best performance car buy for around 10k Tue, 20 January 2004 02:20 Go to previous message
STR8 2.8 wrote on Mon, 19 January 2004 18:11

yes

No biased opinions here either Rolling Eyes

MZ20's are awesome, I just wish, I could have predicted the future with the 7MGTE :~( No No No

BUT for originality, cant go past. Cool
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:TA22 GT - Featuring in "Fast Fours and Rotaries"
Next Topic:I just bought an RA28 Celica!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 15 13:47:03 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.014669895172119 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.