Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » weird question for an ra23...

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ra23mad
Forums Junkie

September 2003

weird question for an ra23... Mon, 19 January 2004 11:33 Go to next message
I've been wanting a 3sgte to go into my ra23 for a while now and the saving process has begun ...

but I was just sitting thinking - its gonna be a hard conversion and cost a lot --

so anyone have any ideas how much harder the 2jzgte would be to fit?

both engines will have me rushing to regency park for an engineers cert...so there's gonna have to be major major upgrades before its road legal...

but would the 2jzgte blow the $$$ up even higher than a 3sgte??

meh enough pondering - *I don't want to spark a big debate about 3sgte / 2jzgte either **too many of them all ready** but when you're talking $10k for a complete 3sgte conversion *including EVERYTHING* what would a 2j push it too?

Send a private message to this user    
alwaysRA23
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: weird question for an ra23... Mon, 19 January 2004 13:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
does the 10k cover diff, gear box, suspension, brakes front and rear, exhaust, engineering, and all that sorta stuff??

is that with a standard computer, or aftermarket?

are you doing any of the work? or is it going to a shop to get done?

i wouldnt think that a 2J conversion would cost toooooooo much more, if you could get it registered.... Smile
ra23mad
Forums Junkie

September 2003

Re: weird question for an ra23... Mon, 19 January 2004 21:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That $10k was a shop in Adelaide doing all of the work, including trans, diff, after market computer, exhaust, engineered, different axles, and brake upgrade.

Doesn't cover suspension.

Since it has to be all engineered anyway I don't think it will be too hard to register either car on road -- though 2jz might be a little harder Razz

Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: weird question for an ra23... Mon, 19 January 2004 23:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
3S-GTE: expensive.

2JZ-GTE: mega bucks.
ra23mad
Forums Junkie

September 2003

Re: weird question for an ra23... Mon, 19 January 2004 23:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
3sgte + suspension estimate around $14k or so maybe $15k.
2jzgte - No idea (probably more closer to $20k)

That's just what I'm guessing anyway - and I think that might be fairly hard to justify on a 1976 ra23 ;P

the 15k I can handle Smile

[Updated on: Mon, 19 January 2004 23:42]

alwaysRA23
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: weird question for an ra23... Tue, 20 January 2004 00:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah, i would say that the actual cost of putting the motor into the car to be about the same. as long as there is no firewall "moddifying"

but buying all the stuff make the motor work would be the thing to tip the scales im thinking.

CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: weird question for an ra23... Tue, 20 January 2004 02:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you prob wont be able to engineer a 2jzgte in a ra23, so unless u wanna drive it up and down ya driveway go the 3s or do a 1g and spend the rest on ems and a bigger turbo
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
icon14.gif  Re: weird question for an ra23... Tue, 20 January 2004 02:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
u just want to be different dontcha ? Surprised

go easy conversion and spend the rest on something useful mate !!!
alwaysRA23
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: weird question for an ra23... Tue, 20 January 2004 02:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
or even a 1JZGTE, still a very worth while conversion, and very doable...

have seen it done to an RA23. its fully registered and engineered and insured.

and geezus it goes like nothing else!!! Very Happy Very Happy
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: weird question for an ra23... Tue, 20 January 2004 02:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how drivable is it ?
alwaysRA23
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: weird question for an ra23... Tue, 20 January 2004 02:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i havent driven the car personally, but from all reports it drives quite well as long as ur a little bit..... sparing with the go peddal... brakes quite well, and ive heard its not quite the lead tipped arrow it was pradicted to be. more like a "cruise missle on wheels" Very Happy

either way with the sorta money RA23mad is looking at spending im sure it woudlnt be driving daily.but i tell ya what.. id love to see the ending product.
ra23mad
Forums Junkie

September 2003

Re: weird question for an ra23... Tue, 20 January 2004 04:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Currently the car is my daily driver but only has an 18rg in it -

and in the end it would probably end up being my cruise beasty --

I like the idea of the 3s just because you can tune up so much power out of them and not even work the engine too much.

And yes I do want to do something different - I've seen 1g's 1jz's 2t's supercharged 18rg's etc...and want to do something to my ra23 that makes it unique....

I considered the 1j for a fair while but after talking to people most said it was too heavy and to go for the 1ggte...but then I thought why not go to a 3s Very Happy *dumb idea's always happen late at night*

I think I'll have to do some talking to the guys down at regency park (engineering -- ) about the different engines Smile

Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: weird question for an ra23... Tue, 20 January 2004 08:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
All of the above engines have been done before in RA23's several times over, so if you want something different you'll have to try harder. I always thought a late-model Camry/Avalon V6 would be great in an old Celica, and I don't think anyone's tried it yet. Wanna be the first? Smile
ra23mad
Forums Junkie

September 2003

Re: weird question for an ra23... Wed, 21 January 2004 01:26 Go to previous message
Norbie - If I'm gonna go down the path of extreme unique Very Happy

I'd have to go for an all wheel drive ra23 running a 3sgte, putting around 600hp to the ground...

but I don't have that much money Very Happy
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Who has a MA70 or MA71 ...
Next Topic:Sydney - Please recommend a panel beater
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 5 13:10:08 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0053648948669434 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.