Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » SERIOUS NEWS -- 15 Year Rule WILL CHANGE ON 1 JAN 2005

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
slpdesign99
Newcomer

January 2004
icon11.gif  SERIOUS NEWS -- 15 Year Rule WILL CHANGE ON 1 JAN 2005 Mon, 19 January 2004 22:44 Go to next message
This was sent to me By Geoff from Prestiage Motorsport.
[url=http://www.prestigemotorsport.com.au]

Here is some SERIOUS NEWS for anyone planning to import a 15 year old vehicle, which will put all recent rumours to rest.

DOTARS are planning to change the 15 year rule as of 1 January 2005. A "Regulation Impact Statement" is being prepared for consideration, which is part of the process followed by the Government prior to changing a regulation. They are currently seeking comments from a range of stakeholders on their proposed changes to the 15 year rule for importing vehicles to Australia.

The following three options are being considered:

Option 1 -- Make no changes to the current arrangements, ie. continue to allow unrestricted importation of vehicles 15 or more years old.

Option 2 -- From 1 January 2005, allow only vehicles manufactured prior to 1 January 1989, to be imported without restriction, ie. no more 1989+ models.

Option 3 -- From 1 January 2005, allow only vehicles 30 or more years old to be imported without restriction, ie. a 30 year rule.

Grounds for the change

In broad terms, DOTARS are citing the following two reasons for the proposed change:

1) NUMBERS -- The trends in importing 15 years or older vehicles (in particular 2003 saw more than double the number imported in 2002), see figures below per year:

1998 3,565 vehicles
1999 3,763
2000 3,941
2001 3,848
2002 5,703
2003 12,291

Hence the concern. DOTARS have stated that left unchecked, these numbers are very likely to exceed the number of vehicles being imported under SEVS. This is obviously the driving force for changing the regulation.

2) EMISSIONS, PERFORMANCE and SAFETY -- 15 years and older vehicles are not required to meet current emissions and safety requirements. Whether valid or not, DOTARS are arguing that allowing the continued import of older vehicles under current arrangements will be detrimental to the average age as well as emissions and safety standards of the Australian vehicle fleet.

On the surface this appears a valid argument, however if unable to import, in reality the people intending to import these vehicles would simply spend their budget on local alternatives. On the whole these local vehicles in the same price range are less safe and efficient than the import alternative, simply based on the types of imports targetted (prestige and performance cars) versus what is available locally for the same price (generally old fuel guzzling and rusty clunkers). We all know the types of cars that can be accessed from Japan and what great value they represent. Almost all are fuel injected and many are prestige vehicles worth more than $100,000 when sold new. After all, if local vehicles were as good for the same money, no one would bother importing would they.

Thinking logically, the only impact we can see of continued import of 15 years and older vehicles as the rule currently stands is an increased rate of depreciation for local vehicles in the same price range as the imported vehicles, ie. $7,000 to $15,000. Thinking further ahead, these local vehicles would then drop down into the price range of those who would otherwise not be unable to own a vehicle, or those who would otherwise only be able to afford a less safe and less efficient vehicle (students are a prime example). So overall, allowing the rule to continue unchanged should actually improve the average safety and emissions for the Aust. vehicle fleet by pushing the old clunkers out though the bottom of the market.

Our opinion on what will happen

We feel that nothing short of a HUGE public outcry will have any impact on the plans to change the 15 year rule. It is EXTREMELY UNLIKELY that the rule will remain unchanged (Option 1) -- after all, if DOTARS thought everything was OK as it was now then they would not be embarking on this process would they. The fact is, from the DOTARS perspective they have to do something to slow the number of imports, so Option 1 is really not up for consideration at all.

That leaves only Option 2 and Option 3 to choose from. While going to a 30 year old rule would be an attractive and immediately satisfying outcome for DOTARS, we suspect they will avoid the sledgehammer approach and will prefer Option 2, which limits import to vehicles made earlier than 1 January 1989. This will have the effect of reducing numbers over time as vehicles of this age become harder to find, and will cushion the impact on Australian businesses that rely solely on 15 year old vehicles. Therefore, the outcry from the public and from the industry will be softened to a point where there will be no solid opposition. Most importantly for DOTARS, this approach would also stop the import of all the new and attractive 1989 models after allowing only a small taste of them in 2004.

When should I buy a 1989 model ?

The short and obvious answer is AS SOON AS POSSIBLE, before the rule changes and / or an announcement is made.

The proposed 1 January 2005 change sets the timeframe. Working back from that, DOTARS need to announce the change they decide to adopt with enough time to allow a transitional phase so that no one is seriously caught out (like their last announcement on 2nd September). This period is likely to be 3 to 6 months, so between mid 2004 and Jan 2005. The DOTARS process of considering the changes, deciding, then passing them may take them several months. At this time they are likely to make an announcement of the change to the regulation. We would expect something to be announced perhaps by the middle of this year, possibly earlier if they can manage it. How they will phrase the announcement we do not know, however we suspect that they will lean towards doing their best to limit the number of vehicles being bought before the regulation changes on 1 January 2005.

DOTARS have clearly recognized that all the new 1989 model shapes represent the biggest threat to import numbers. Even if Option 2 is chosen, they are likely to put a stop to the import of any 1989 model vehicles from the date of the announcement just like their recent announcement. Proof of purchase (funds transfer receipt) prior to the announcement date would probably be required for an exemption where the vehicle was only eligible for import late in 2004.

So as we see it, the next 3 to 6 months should be viewed as your LAST CHANCE if you wish to guarantee the import of a 1989 model under the 15 year rule.

Based on the above reasoning, we recommend that customers who want to import a 1989 model under the 15 year rule should GET IN AS EARLY AS POSSIBLE. Just as those who bought 1989 models prior to 2nd Sept. 2003 were rewarded by being allowed to import their vehicles in Jan 2004, it is natural to assume that those who buy now will also be rewarded for their forward planning when the rule changes this year. It is much better to buy now and factor in up to 11 months storage for a vehicle in Japan prior to shipping, than to miss out altogether.

Bear in mind that many 1989 models are not eligible for import under SEVS. So after the rule changes you will be unable to import them AT ALL. Examples are the MX-5, MR-2, Celsior, 300ZX 2+2, Porsche, Corvette, Galant, Supra (MA70 / GA70), Legacy, RX-7 (S4 / S5) etc., basically all the good options and you can certainly kiss cheap R32 GTR's goodbye with your alternative under SEVS being $5,500 plus tyres for compliance. These models are set to disappear from our import menu for good with the proposed changes.

Payment for 1989 Models to be imported in 2004

Note that only the FOB cost of the vehicle and our service fee need to be paid to commence the process, then the remainder (shipping, import duties, GST etc.) once the vehicle arrives in Australia. This means that you can secure 1989 models in advance with a payment of usually between 40% to 50% of the total vehicle cost, with the remainder not due until after arrival.

Have your say

We would encourage anyone that has an interest in this issue to have their say now while they still have an opportunity. It would be a very optimistic person to see any outcome other than either Option 2 or 3 being chosen, neither of which will all leave the new 1989+ models that we are now looking forward to, available for import. So don't save your opinions until after it's too late to have an impact and the 1989+ models are out of reach -- get organised now, mount a solid case and sound arguments for keeping the rule as it is and get these in to DOTARS on the proper form (see below).

We would strongly suggest that all comments be restricted to rational arguments based on the options proposed and the reasoning behind them. This is the only response that will help the cause. In particular, mad raving about how it just shouldn't happen and how good things are now without any valid reasons is likely to have a negative impact rather than a positive one, and will divert attention away from the very valid arguments that should be mounted against the proposed changes.

In addition to well reasoned arguments for Option 1, it would be worth focussing on options that you believe would be better than those proposed by DOTARS, but bear in mind that these would have to have some significant advantages for DOTARS over the current options that have been put forward to even receive cursory consideration, ie. ease, cost, political advantages.

Who to Contact

Ross Docherty
Vehicle Safety Standards
Department of Transport and Regional Services
GPO Box 594
Canberra ACT 2601
Fax: (02) 6274 7714
E-mail: ross.docherty@dotars.gov.au

Send a private message to this user    
Caledwvech
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: SERIOUS NEWS -- 15 Year Rule WILL CHANGE ON 1 JAN 2005 Mon, 19 January 2004 23:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah I got this too. Kinda suck if they took it up to 30 years. Sad
slpdesign99
Newcomer

January 2004
Re: SERIOUS NEWS -- 15 Year Rule WILL CHANGE ON 1 JAN 2005 Mon, 19 January 2004 23:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I contacted Prestige Motorsport for the responce form to be sent to me.

I will post it ASAP.

We all should fill it out and try and stick it to the DOTARS.

I have posted the email on several other forums as well as contacting

WWW.fullboost.com.au

and

www.autospeed.com.au

so with enough public outcry we may be able to stop it!
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: SERIOUS NEWS -- 15 Year Rule WILL CHANGE ON 1 JAN 2005 Mon, 19 January 2004 23:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ouch! man.. I better put my order in for a nice GT4!
Caledwvech
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: SERIOUS NEWS -- 15 Year Rule WILL CHANGE ON 1 JAN 2005 Mon, 19 January 2004 23:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You've got a year to do it, and besides, it is possible that nothing will change anyway.
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: SERIOUS NEWS -- 15 Year Rule WILL CHANGE ON 1 JAN 2005 Mon, 19 January 2004 23:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and once the word gets out good luck getting an import through in the rush! Smile
slpdesign99
Newcomer

January 2004
Re: SERIOUS NEWS -- 15 Year Rule WILL CHANGE ON 1 JAN 2005 Tue, 20 January 2004 00:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Me to, I need money.

No lets email the DOTARS in the first post and register a complanit.

enough complants and we may just win.
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: SERIOUS NEWS -- 15 Year Rule WILL CHANGE ON 1 JAN 2005 Tue, 20 January 2004 00:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok so what sort of thing should we email? Can someone draft up like a template email that we can adjust/personalise??

I don't know how best to word all these things...
slpdesign99
Newcomer

January 2004
Re: SERIOUS NEWS -- 15 Year Rule WILL CHANGE ON 1 JAN 2005 Tue, 20 January 2004 00:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I email prestige motorsport and the are sending me a responce form when it arrives i will post it then we should email flatout!
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: SERIOUS NEWS -- 15 Year Rule WILL CHANGE ON 1 JAN 2005 Tue, 20 January 2004 00:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
absolutely mate.. well post it up here or whatever when it comes! Very Happy
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: SERIOUS NEWS -- 15 Year Rule WILL CHANGE ON 1 JAN 2005 Tue, 20 January 2004 00:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
but rob man you should (maybe) still be able to get your hands on an ST165 from either 1986 or 1987, after all the are actually the better ones to go for, they have a better gearbox and the have the lockable central diff Laughing
Caledwvech
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: SERIOUS NEWS -- 15 Year Rule WILL CHANGE ON 1 JAN 2005 Tue, 20 January 2004 00:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Exactly. The more likely outcome is that you just wont be able to get the '89 model (like yours). However, the '88 model is basically exactly the same.
Intensevil
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: SERIOUS NEWS -- 15 Year Rule WILL CHANGE ON 1 JAN 2005 Tue, 20 January 2004 04:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just how are these vehicles a threat? It makes no sense, they are no longer sold here brand new so why can't they be imported? Its becoming increasingly difficult to find good examples of localy delivered cars and now this is just going to stop the other option of an import.
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: SERIOUS NEWS -- 15 Year Rule WILL CHANGE ON 1 JAN 2005 Tue, 20 January 2004 05:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
they are encroaching on the local market and destroying profits
like what happenned to NZ

now they have no domestic market at all
shcao
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: SERIOUS NEWS -- 15 Year Rule WILL CHANGE ON 1 JAN 2005 Tue, 20 January 2004 06:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Man, I live in fear.. for the last couple of years... I keep hearing that this is going to happen.

I wonder if it's gonna hold out till 2006 (FD3S Rx7!!!!).

But I seriously doubt it..

oh wells.
Intensevil
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: SERIOUS NEWS -- 15 Year Rule WILL CHANGE ON 1 JAN 2005 Tue, 20 January 2004 09:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Local market, you mean new car dealers?
What possible competition could a 15yo jap import have up against a new car! Its apples and oranges
biased99
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: SERIOUS NEWS -- 15 Year Rule WILL CHANGE ON 1 JAN 2005 Tue, 20 January 2004 12:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

...Just as those who bought 1989 models prior to 2nd Sept. 2003 were rewarded by being allowed to import their vehicles in Jan 2004...

For the doubters; take it from me...I was one of the lucky ones (we bought and paid for our Celsior last May). Our import approval has already been granted (after a large number of representations to the ombudsman by a number of people). Our car will be here in approx. 4-6 weeks... Smile

For those who believe things wont change; I bought our car worrying that Dotars would change the interpretation of the rule (but hoping fervently that they wouldnt); they did. I was lucky. I believe that if you want a 15 year-old vehicle, you would be best advised to import it this year...That they will change it is beyond doubt; the only question is when and how!
4DaDrift
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: SERIOUS NEWS -- 15 Year Rule WILL CHANGE ON 1 JAN 2005 Tue, 20 January 2004 13:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmmmm wouldnt this be a restriction of fair trade for not only the public yet multiple other places such as wreckers automotive modifiers compliers importers ??????
also would this not limit reasonable supply of parts for vehicles already imported and local cars manufactured here or imported and sold new ?
hmmmmmm be nice to see how many jobs will be lost due to this
my personal suggestion is to visit your member of parliment and any reasonable opposition choices in yoru electorate and suggest that your vote will go elsewhere if their party supports this policy 9 could someone inform me if this department is state or federal.......think its federal yet worth checking up on first)

seriously we got any solicitors/barristers in the house or have soem in their family that would enjoy fighting for the public for once pro bona ?
5m3ghead
Occasional Poster

October 2002
Re: SERIOUS NEWS -- 15 Year Rule WILL CHANGE ON 1 JAN 2005 Tue, 20 January 2004 22:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well I dont know if it will do any good but I have put in a complaint with the ACCC about this. Maybe they can help us get a better deal than 30 year old cars !

If anyone is interested here is the URL to lodge a complaint.

http://www.accc.gov.au/content/index.phtml/itemId/ 54217/fromItemId/3634#h2_18
Chrisso
Regular

August 2003
Re: SERIOUS NEWS -- 15 Year Rule WILL CHANGE ON 1 JAN 2005 Wed, 21 January 2004 02:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DOTRS is a Federal department. (department of transport and regional services)
slpdesign99
Newcomer

January 2004
Re: SERIOUS NEWS -- 15 Year Rule WILL CHANGE ON 1 JAN 2005 Fri, 23 January 2004 04:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Here is a link to have your say

http://www.picturebox.com.au/DOTARS.php

Please I encourage everyone to post there opinion.

all you need to do in read the information provided and fill out the form and hit the send button.

That easy
chrisss
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: SERIOUS NEWS -- 15 Year Rule WILL CHANGE ON 1 JAN 2005 Fri, 23 January 2004 07:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It is to protect localindustry. our local product is 15yrs behind in terms of engineering so this causes a problem for them.
and yes it sux
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: SERIOUS NEWS -- 15 Year Rule WILL CHANGE ON 1 JAN 2005 Fri, 23 January 2004 13:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Bear in mind that many 1989 models are not eligible for import under SEVS. So after the rule changes you will be unable to import them AT ALL. Examples are the MX-5, MR-2, Celsior, 300ZX 2+2, Porsche, Corvette, Galant, Supra (MA70 / GA70), Legacy, RX-7 (S4 / S5) etc., basically all the good options and you can certainly kiss cheap R32 GTR's goodbye with your alternative under SEVS being $5,500 plus tyres for compliance. These models are set to disappear from our import menu for good with the proposed changes.

Can't import them at all? What? How... how can they do that?
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: SERIOUS NEWS -- 15 Year Rule WILL CHANGE ON 1 JAN 2005 Sun, 25 January 2004 00:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

It is to protect localindustry. our local product is 15yrs behind in terms of engineering so this causes a problem for them.
and yes it sux

Smile amen to that!
wraith
Regular

October 2003
Re: SERIOUS NEWS -- 15 Year Rule WILL CHANGE ON 1 JAN 2005 Fri, 30 January 2004 03:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep, I sent an e-mail to the Motor Trade Association WA guy after he put an article in The West Australian newspaper's Motoring section. Heres the e-mail he sent back:

Thank you for your comments - your points are noted.

No other country in the world allows 15 year old vehicles to be imported for obvious reasons. Even New Zealand which had allowed mass importation of used motor vehicles draws the line at 1996 models.

A vehicle 15 years old is only as good as its maintenance record. In many cases with used imports this is an unknown factor. There are obvious road safety and environmental risks associated with vehicles of this age as well.

Whilst your experience might have been favourable with older vehicles you do not receive the considerable number of complaints that the Department of Consumer and Employment Protection and the MTA receives of speedo tampering,
the unavailability of parts and mechanical breakdowns that occur with these types of vehicles.

The Department of Planning and Infrastructure inspectors that are
responsible for the enforcement and regulation of used imports also have serious reservations about the quality and type of vehicles that are going to be brought in under these 15 year old arrangements. For this reason they are setting up very rigorous rules including engineering tests that will need to be performed before the vehicles will be able to be registered on our roads. Hopefully this will sort out the wheat from the chaff.

If you are an importer or linked to a vehicle importer you should be aware that this new regime is going to be imposed in the very near future.

Basically, this guy represents the local manufacturers, who have every govornment agency by the balls. We've got snowballs chance in hell of preventing this legislation past. Holden & Ford are bigger & scream louder than we enthusiasts can.
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: SERIOUS NEWS -- 15 Year Rule WILL CHANGE ON 1 JAN 2005 Fri, 30 January 2004 04:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well not really. We could take up arms against the government. Of course in our soft culture this is considered very extreme, but in days of old it was a common thing. Didn't like what the governing body was doing? Put holes in it.

I fear that this kind of violent action is only a matter of time if the government continues on it's current course. The people need a louder voice, without it some will start resorting to more aggressive forms of communication.

If Holden and Ford want to stop people from importing from Japan, perhaps they should start making some realy good cars. Lets see what Holden and Ford have to compete with the import market shall we?

At about the 10K mark for imports you get:
Turbo MA71 Supras
S13 CA18DET and SR20DET Silvias
Turbo 300zx 2+2s
R32 GT-4 Skylines
Turbo MR2s
Celica GT4s
RX7s

and the list goes on. So what the hell do you get for about that price from Ford or Holden?

Holden Calibra, Commodore VL RB30DET, Commodore VS / VQ, Commodore VN V8, Astra, Apollo.
Ford Laser XLi, XR6, Telstar TX5, Capri XR2 Turbo.

Does anyone see anything realy inspiring there? I don't.

If Ford or Holden want my patronage they should just design some freeking good cars.
And don't even get me started on what Toyota and Nissan where thinking when they didn't bring over Supras, S13s, Skylines etc.

bah!
Caledwvech
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: SERIOUS NEWS -- 15 Year Rule WILL CHANGE ON 1 JAN 2005 Fri, 30 January 2004 04:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So Shraka, tell me....

What were Toyota and Nisasn thinking when they decided not to bring the Supra and Skyline over???

Razz Razz
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: SERIOUS NEWS -- 15 Year Rule WILL CHANGE ON 1 JAN 2005 Fri, 30 January 2004 04:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
God damn it I TOLD YOU NOT TO ASK MY THAT! ARGHGHGHG!! Eye Spin *head a splode*
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: SERIOUS NEWS -- 15 Year Rule WILL CHANGE ON 1 JAN 2005 Fri, 30 January 2004 06:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think ford and holden should fuck the hell off, imports are better.. its that simnple. Lets compare my gz10(1984 model) soarer to a vk commodore of same year. and i got it for the same sort of price.. i know what i'd choose over and over.
wraith
Regular

October 2003
Re: SERIOUS NEWS -- 15 Year Rule WILL CHANGE ON 1 JAN 2005 Sun, 01 February 2004 14:33 Go to previous message
OK. Toyota thought "Shit, there's no way our sexy looking coupes and sedans are going to be able to compete with boring pieces of shit that dont corner and make about 10kw@ flywheel. No way are we exporting to Australia! We'll hang onto our freeway screamers right here in Japan". Nissan figured that if Toyota wasn't going to export, theyd have no-one to compete with and I'td just be boring.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:more service q's
Next Topic:ED_MA61 are you out there?????????
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 7 05:33:25 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0056469440460205 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.