Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Panda Tofu ^_^
Regular

January 2004
Celica MK7 Tue, 20 January 2004 06:03 Go to next message
My m8 just baught an MK7 from his dads dearlership the other week and has been going on about it like its the next big thing in motor engineering Confused Whats so special about the MK7? IS the VVTL-i engine that much of an acheivment?
  Send a private message to this user    
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Celica MK7 Tue, 20 January 2004 06:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
in a word.

no.

crappy engines make max power at like 7300 revvs.. THEN they go quick.. but who drives their car up there all the time? Smile
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Celica MK7 Tue, 20 January 2004 06:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
they're ok
definitly not brilliant

first problem: fwd. Sure it's safe and cheap to make, but it's not terribly sporty or performance oriented.
second problem: vvti as rob said. sure the peak power figure is an impressive 140kw, but that figure is made at redline and I've heard (unsubstantiated) reports that the engine is very unimpressive till the vvti kicks in
Panda Tofu ^_^
Regular

January 2004
Re: Celica MK7 Tue, 20 January 2004 07:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanx guys Very Happy now i have something to bust his bubble with next time he wants to shout his mouth off about his MK7 Laughing
alwaysRA23
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Celica MK7 Tue, 20 January 2004 07:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my mate is a dealer at toyota, and we took the new celica for a test run..

it was automatic, and wasnt really impressive at all untill the end of the rev range.

aparantly the manual is much more fun to drive...

you'd want to hope so anyways.. Confused
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Celica MK7 Tue, 20 January 2004 10:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
... and it will last how long if driven daily at >6k rpm?
Wink
Apollo
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Celica MK7 Tue, 20 January 2004 12:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Panda Tofu ^_^ wrote on Tue, 20 January 2004 17:51

thanx guys Very Happy now i have something to bust his bubble with next time he wants to shout his mouth off about his MK7 Laughing

Just think of the nice mk4 supra he could have bought with that money instead. Smile
M Spec
Occasional Poster

May 2002
Re: Celica MK7 Tue, 20 January 2004 14:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The engine is designed to rev. Those of you saying that its not too practical, go buy a holden. You're either a high reving NA fan, into V8's or prefer turbo. Each has pro and con.

Lets just think back to Bathurst 24hr last year. Maybe ask a new Lotus Exige owner when they arrive in OZ this year.

first problem: fwd. Sure it's safe and cheap to make, but it's not terribly sporty or performance oriented.
Go out and drive a Integra Type R, Clio Sport, Pugeot 205 and new Mini. Then wash your mouth out with soap. Saying by design FF layout is crap, is as bad as thinking V8's generally shit on all 4 cyclinder cars.

Sometimes I glad the car is so underated in Australia. Other times It annoys me to no end it does'nt get the respect it deserves.

Panda Tofu, maybe I'll rock up to the next organised cruise and show you what's it all about.

http://users.tpg.com.au/jason000/Celica/CelicaDSCN445.jpgMy ride. Evil or Very Mad
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Celica MK7 Tue, 20 January 2004 21:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MK7? Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes @ terminology
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
icon14.gif  Re: Celica MK7 Tue, 20 January 2004 21:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Im with u M-Spec ... Surprised

Defend that sweet ass ride of yours Smiley =
Caledwvech
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Celica MK7 Tue, 20 January 2004 22:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think they are less than impressive. My boss here has one and I have been in numerous rides with him and we have talked about them at length. He remains very unimpressed. It does have rather average pickup, and once it gets to the power band, there is a lot of power, but it's just so high....
alwaysRA23
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Celica MK7 Tue, 20 January 2004 23:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
great for a turbo conversion! Smile
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Celica MK7 Wed, 21 January 2004 07:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A turboed version of that motor would be interesting to drive ...

thats what toyota should investigate IMHO - if they never intend to revive the gt4 3sgte drivetrain ..

A little more low down punch is better imho then trying to blow the motor up before the powerband kicks in ..but then again - that is just my oppinion

Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Celica MK7 Wed, 21 January 2004 12:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MOTOR magazine featured a yellow gen7 with 3sgte and custom 4wd ...

looked pretty good with custom bodykit and all.... Razz

prolly cost a mint though !
alwaysRA23
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Celica MK7 Wed, 21 January 2004 14:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah i got a magazine article around somewhere on that celica.
very shit hot!

something like 800 hp, very impressive.
Clown
Forums Junkie

September 2002

Re: Celica MK7 Thu, 22 January 2004 05:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you'd be talking about the TRD/Rod millen "ultimate celica" concept car which is now sitting in some toyota museum. "max power: way out west" dvd has some footage/sound of the car and mmmm!! More details http://www.rodmillen.com/UCelica.htm

http://www.rodmillen.com/images/Concept/UCelica_front.jpg
Quote:

MOTOR magazine featured a yellow gen7 with 3sgte and custom 4wd ...

looked pretty good with custom bodykit and all....

prolly cost a mint though !
Apollo
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Celica MK7 Thu, 22 January 2004 06:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I thought they were turboed. What's the scoop there for then? Confused

Even more of a waste of money dropping $40k+ on one then.

But as for revving, that's what rev limiters and warranties are there for. Very Happy
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Celica MK7 Thu, 22 January 2004 06:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it probably serves some purpose - but its not intercooling thats for sure ..

The last turbo toyota available from toyota oz ( small passenger/sports car ) was a corolla about 4 years ago. and even then it was a TINY turbo upgrade..

Now they seem to swing toward high revving jobs, aka integra type R style - but even then a new sportivo corolla or VVtli celica cant even match them !.

BUT if toyota OZ ever pull their heads out of their arses and realise the celica COULD be made into a performing package - we might see another limited edition run ..

Whats all the aftermarket company out there who make show/display gen 7 celicas doing - BREAKTHRU! - turbo upgrades !

thry have potential - ALOT of potential for force fed power - just they wont back it from the factory

As for the Millen/TRD ultimate celica

Underneath that gen 7 shell is a EX works St205 TTE rekkie car - sourced from new Zealand ..

Ironic that - Gt4 and 3sgte strikes again - not a VVTLI in sight

Apollo
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Celica MK7 Fri, 23 January 2004 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Classique71 wrote on Thu, 22 January 2004 16:56

it probably serves some purpose - but its not intercooling thats for sure ..

The last turbo toyota available from toyota oz ( small passenger/sports car ) was a corolla about 4 years ago. and even then it was a TINY turbo upgrade..

Damn, even more reason to look at a WRX then. It's in the same price range and offers much more.

It's a shame so much r&d was used on the gt4 and now is gathering dust somewhere.

But if they did bring the gt4 back, we'd probably be looking at a 60grand car minimum. Sad
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Celica MK7 Fri, 23 January 2004 21:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
closest modern " gt4 " is the caldina - i think they still make them

Theres also rumours of toyota japan using the matrix platform possibly with a " gt4 " option

Bad side - both are bloody wagons!

Alot of development went into making them - especially the st205. that things a technical wonder .. A true rally car for the road - like the STI and EVO

If they did make it again - id be expecting the same - 50K plus , all wheel drive celica based 200KW+ all wheel drive sports car.

A direct compeditor to the STI and Evo

BUT apparently bodykits, not true performance rule the day now - so the dust gathering will continue.

ID like to see a toyota R and D person get on here for some enthusiasts oppinions in what THEY would like to see in a new toyota sports car. Then they would get at least some idea
Apollo
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Celica MK7 Sat, 24 January 2004 05:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Classique71 wrote on Sat, 24 January 2004 07:40

closest modern " gt4 " is the caldina - i think they still make them

Theres also rumours of toyota japan using the matrix platform possibly with a " gt4 " option

Bad side - both are bloody wagons!

Alot of development went into making them - especially the st205. that things a technical wonder .. A true rally car for the road - like the STI and EVO

If they did make it again - id be expecting the same - 50K plus , all wheel drive celica based 200KW+ all wheel drive sports car.

A direct compeditor to the STI and Evo

BUT apparently bodykits, not true performance rule the day now - so the dust gathering will continue.

ID like to see a toyota R and D person get on here for some enthusiasts oppinions in what THEY would like to see in a new toyota sports car. Then they would get at least some idea

Yea, but that's toyota japan. Sigh. The only ones we'd see with a turbo standard would be imports as usual.

But yea, they're either wagons or bloody hatches.

Actually, do toyota actually do r+d anymore or does the survey and marketing rule what the next car should be?

If they do do R&D, my first suggestion is to get rid of "european styling". Triangles are so ugly. It's a car, not freedom furniture.
Tones
Occasional Poster

January 2004
Re: Celica MK7 Mon, 26 January 2004 14:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Apollo wrote on Thu, 22 January 2004 17:44

I thought they were turboed. What's the scoop there for then?

The 2ZZGE is mounted west-east. That is, the headers are facing the firewall and the intake manifold is facing the radiator. The scoop probably keeps the under bonnet temps down.
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Celica MK7 Mon, 26 January 2004 21:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I agree.. as for most scoops for N/A cars, they are just there to keep underbonnet temps down, and for looks i guess Smiley =
T APLUS 22
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Celica MK7 Mon, 26 January 2004 22:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
M Spec wrote on Wed, 21 January 2004 01:53

The engine is designed to rev. Those of you saying that its not too practical, go buy a holden. You're either a high reving NA fan, into V8's or prefer turbo. Each has pro and con.

Lets just think back to Bathurst 24hr last year. Maybe ask a new Lotus Exige owner when they arrive in OZ this year.

Go out and drive a Integra Type R, Clio Sport, Pugeot 205 and new Mini. Then wash your mouth out with soap. Saying by design FF layout is crap, is as bad as thinking V8's generally shit on all 4 cyclinder cars.

Sometimes I glad the car is so underated in Australia. Other times It annoys me to no end it does'nt get the respect it deserves.

Panda Tofu, maybe I'll rock up to the next organised cruise and show you what's it all about.

http://users.tpg.com.au/jason000/Celica/CelicaDSCN445.jpgMy ride. Evil or Very Mad

I agree with you on the defensive nature, did well to stand up for yourself - and your car. However FWD cars are just wrong, IMO.
Your Celica looks great, I still don't understand the black bonet however. Although with the silver bonet it would make a black rear wing look off. And with a fully silver wing and bonnet its not quite as tough as what it is now. It certainly deserves points for looks.

Its just when I look at it I think, NICE........ no, it looks ok. I know those rear wheels are just holding that thing up. And straight away it loses its ultra sporty appeal it had due to great styling. Regardless of whether or not it (or the Integra) could beat a similar RWD around the track. I like the idea of being pushed, not pulled around the track. And the extra capabilties at my command of the rear wheels being active, I can use them! to control the vehicle.
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Celica MK7 Mon, 26 January 2004 22:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dude shows some respect man... i have a 1g celica and its a fcking weapon but i dont go dissing other people's cars !!!

let the car's merits speak for itself man and dont thrash it cuz it does not have rwd, has a black/carbon fibre bonnet or because u dont like spoilers.

i like it ... Surprised

Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Celica MK7 Mon, 26 January 2004 22:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dude shows some respect man... i have a 1g celica and its a fcking weapon but i dont go dissing other people's cars !!!

let the car's merits speak for itself man and dont thrash it cuz it does not have rwd, has a black/carbon fibre bonnet or because u dont like spoilers.

i like it ... Surprised

ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: Celica MK7 Mon, 26 January 2004 23:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rob_RA40 wrote on Wed, 21 January 2004 08:45

MK7? Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes @ terminology

MK7??? I thought it was a Generation 7? Oh well Rolling Eyes

Cheers.
clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: Celica MK7 Tue, 27 January 2004 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Have to agree that I'm not a huge fan of FntWD unless it's a Peugeot (passive rear wheel steer Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy .

If FntWD was the ants pants F1 would be wouldn't it? (awaiting flame to be applied)
FWDCelica
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Celica MK7 Wed, 28 January 2004 00:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Front Wheel Drive !
Don't knock it til you owned 1.

Rear Wheel Drive :
Sideways is not the quickest way around a track.

I've owned both and prefer FWD .

Formula 1 is all about Maximum Speed and 800+ Horsepower.
Obviously you cant put that much power into FWD.

My 2 cents worth !

Cheers
T.

[Updated on: Wed, 28 January 2004 00:55]

Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Celica MK7 Thu, 29 January 2004 11:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
most of the peeple on this site seem to worship rwd cars... for some reason unknown.. they all think their 20 year old cars are race cars.... just cuz its rear wheel drive...

same shit to me .. its not like u drive like a race car on surburban streets anyway
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Celica MK7 Fri, 30 January 2004 01:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Buaha - i worship all wheel drive - and my car is based on a rallycar Smile

very handy for dirt roads Smile
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Celica MK7 Sat, 31 January 2004 14:35 Go to previous message
puhlease 4wd sucks Smiley =

KIDDING !
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:TA22 at Summernats
Next Topic:classic celica beginner questions (buying inspection))
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 13:53:56 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0080349445343018 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.