Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Lachie
Regular

January 2004
tough 18R-G's Tue, 20 January 2004 02:05 Go to next message
I'm looking at building what I would call a 'mild' 18R-G Smile and I'm wondering how thirsy it would be on the juice compared to my 18R-C. The cars driven daily so I don't want be paying s**t loads for fuel.
I'm thinking of getting an 82250 efi head (or the pollution control one with big valves and ports), porting the head, 288/272 cams, and higher comp. pistons (I know, i'll need premium!). I may leave out the new pistons for financial reason (yes, I'm a poor uni student).
I'd be interested to hear from other 18R-G drivers to hear what sort of millage they get.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Lachie
  Send a private message to this user    
RA40Celica
Regular

June 2002
  chris_rg@jabber.org
Re: tough 18R-G's Tue, 20 January 2004 04:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

well my stock 18rg gets better millage than my 18rc ever did. Hopefully that will improve again once i convert to EFI.

cheers
Chris
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: tough 18R-G's Tue, 20 January 2004 04:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A setup like that will be pretty heavy on fuel, especially if you're running carbies! Toyota never designed these engines with fuel economy in mind.
ra23mad
Forums Junkie

September 2003

Re: tough 18R-G's Tue, 20 January 2004 04:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my 18rg running stock carbies and some lumpy cams....

I go through about half a tank of premium in three days...

but then you can blame my right foot for that Very Happy

In reality I get about 250 - 300k's from just over half a tank Smile
Lachie
Regular

January 2004
Re: tough 18R-G's Tue, 20 January 2004 05:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie,
I wanna run efi, but I've never seen a complete engine for sale in South Oz. and i'd rather buy a complete engine that I know runs. Is it that much better with efi? I know they were never designed for fuel economy, why would you need to with the price of fuel in the seventies?

ra23mad,
Are you sure thats the right figure for your economy? And is that city or highwawy driving? I know premium gets better millage, but I get about 400-430kms out of a full tank of unleaded with my 18R-C. Maybe thats my right foot as well...

You know what sort of power increase you get with just the lumpy cams?

Thanks for your help guys, might just save up for a 1G....
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: tough 18R-G's Tue, 20 January 2004 06:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If your getting 400-430 k's out of an 18r-c your doing well. my worked 18R-GEU was getting that City driving.
77Celeeper
Newcomer

August 2003
Re: tough 18R-G's Tue, 20 January 2004 08:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah im with lambolica on this one my 18R-GEU is only gettin 350 to 400 city driving but thats with alot of right foot and running optimax but to tell the truth it is more fuel eff than my old 18r-c

Cheers
Matty D
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: tough 18R-G's Tue, 20 January 2004 08:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
In my experience EFI is much much better when it comes to fuel economy and drivability. Definitely well worth the effort for a street car.
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: tough 18R-G's Tue, 20 January 2004 10:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
arent the 88250 heads the carbie heads and the 88270 head is the efi head. someone correct me if im wrong. i had a 18rgu with lumpy came and iu was gettin about 430km to a tank and i wasnt exactly drivin miss daisy in it either. Also who are you gonna get to build it for ya.

Does anyone have any experience with wiring up efi as i need alot of help with mine and im in the brissy area. Maybe when its in someone can give me a hand.

Anyway good luck with the build and its also pretty easy to make a mild 18rg from what i believe.
silvercil40
Regular

August 2003
Re: tough 18R-G's Fri, 23 January 2004 13:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My 18rg with twin solex gets about 300 to 350out of a 55l tank.
Poeple100, you should try and get in touch with Anthony Kellum, he's pretty reputable with EFI.
Steve M
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: tough 18R-G's Sun, 25 January 2004 03:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, the EFI head was the 88270, the 88250 head had different castings, not sure about the valves in that era.

from what I've been told recently, playing with cams in an efi engine running AFM system tends to screw things up, so you'd probably have either go MAP sensor system or after market computer or both.
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: tough 18R-G's Sun, 25 January 2004 04:58 Go to previous message
i know im doing both Wink

that is when i get back into the country
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Gearbox leaking oil ????
Next Topic:18r-gu & emmission canister - HELP!~