Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
minicoon
Occasional Poster

December 2003
my GZE not as good as anticipated Tue, 20 January 2004 07:57 Go to next message
hi all, i recently dropped a ae101 gze into my ae82 twinky and its just no where near what i would hope it would go like. its goes fair enough but its well boring. i hoped that after all the crap to get it in it would fuken hammer. any suggestions. should i wack that larger pulley on or do you think a simple tune would do.
  Send a private message to this user    
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: my GZE not as good as anticipated Tue, 20 January 2004 07:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Was it an import motor?
How many km's you done since u put it in?
What zorst u running
What ECU u runnnig etc etc etc

Details Please
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: my GZE not as good as anticipated Tue, 20 January 2004 07:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how much power do you want?
have you had it on a dyno yet?

if you want it to REALLY hammer, go a turbo

if you want a cheaper option, the larger pulley (sc14?) with a fmic, cai, and a tune would do wonders

it all depends on how much money you want to spend Smile
minicoon
Occasional Poster

December 2003
Re: my GZE not as good as anticipated Tue, 20 January 2004 08:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ive done 1000kms on it. it runs a stock standard setup all over top mount, factory ecu and the like. yes its also a jap import motor
minicoon
Occasional Poster

December 2003
Re: my GZE not as good as anticipated Tue, 20 January 2004 08:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Was it an import motor?
yep full half-cut

How many km's you done since u put it in?
1000km
What zorst u running
2.25 factory headers high-flow cat
What ECU u runnnig etc etc etc
standard comp
Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: my GZE not as good as anticipated Tue, 20 January 2004 08:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think you'll find this is a fairly common situation. Most people I know who have GZE's weren't happy with them for long at all. They just aren't an exciting performance engine.

A lot of the reason for this is that the engine was originally designed for the AW11 MR2 where they wanted very linear response so as not to unsettle the mid engine chassis when accelerating through corners. The basic engine is really and awesome thing however the bolt ons are boring as hell. The answer is definately turbo power if you want the car to be seriously powerful.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: my GZE not as good as anticipated Tue, 20 January 2004 08:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmm, 1000kms should be enough to clean out the cobwebs

But yeah, as suggested by ppl, go turbo

Personally, I'd do these steps

Bigger Crank pulley if you can find one cheapish
Exhaust if you havent already (2.5")
Aftermarket ECU
Turbo + FMIC

Then, ye shall be happy
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: my GZE not as good as anticipated Tue, 20 January 2004 08:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and poor Smile
Sprinta
Regular

September 2002
Re: my GZE not as good as anticipated Tue, 20 January 2004 08:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just go bigger pulley, fmic, fuel pump etc
Trust me i know of many quick gze's, turbo is not the only solution. You cant expect a stock 1.6L to be lightning quick just because its forced (and only running 7psi or something?)
Think about it.
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: my GZE not as good as anticipated Tue, 20 January 2004 08:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
true indeed. i would skip all the bigger pulley, front mount, etc and just start getting the parts for the turbo conversion. the s/c on gze's arent anything spectacular.
Night_cralwer
Occasional Poster

January 2004
Re: my GZE not as good as anticipated Tue, 20 January 2004 09:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

wsnt there a thread b4 about this very topic..

but it was concering the 1g gze and the 1g gte

and nearly every one said that the gze would be much better as the max hp was at a lower rpm..
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: my GZE not as good as anticipated Tue, 20 January 2004 09:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Freak i was more than happy with my 4agze swap when i did it in '99, after driving 4age for 4 years.
it only had the 160mm (10psi max) crank pulley on it, 2.5" exhaust and the rest all standard, and i thought it kicked arse.. Smile

even though i love the http://www.members.aol.com/feral4mr2/images/4agzte_2.jpg  now. i wont knock a gze..
-=NiGz=-
Regular

January 2004
Re: my GZE not as good as anticipated Tue, 20 January 2004 10:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shouldnt he put a slip diff or something so the power is equaled on both wheels. Not sure on this but yeh a friend told me...cos was thinkin about this kind of conversion
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: my GZE not as good as anticipated Tue, 20 January 2004 12:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if u want to go fast buy a new car with heaps more potential

say something like a 2jz
or a rb26tt

something thats easy to get more horses out off

Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: my GZE not as good as anticipated Tue, 20 January 2004 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sideshow wrote on Tue, 20 January 2004 23:17

if u want to go fast buy a new car with heaps more potential

say something like a 2jz
or a rb26tt

something thats easy to get more horses out off

or just drop a 2jz in the twinky Razz

seriously, have you checked the compression yet? If not do that. Does it seem like it is running right? do all the easy stuff first like oil, filters, check for vacuum leaks etc and see if that makes any difference. If you are not happy, then go and buy stuff to make it faster Smile

[Updated on: Tue, 20 January 2004 13:07]

ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: my GZE not as good as anticipated Tue, 20 January 2004 23:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A 4A-GZE should pull harder than you are experiencing now. Are you sure it is running OK ? No error codes ? Is it boosting ?Get it on a dyno and see what it pulls. I suspect some sort of problem, like a vacuum leak or whatever.
Don't go buying turbo bits yet, it might just be a $5 hose.
Mitch.
adamb131
Regular

September 2003

Re: my GZE not as good as anticipated Wed, 21 January 2004 00:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Are there any noises from your SC or Engine.... maybe you are getting belt-slip or the SC vanes are melted?
twinturbo86
Regular

June 2003
Re: my GZE not as good as anticipated Wed, 21 January 2004 01:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i had a ae92 come in to my work with similar symptoms, it turned out the the s/c clutch wasn't engaging. i fixed the wiring and off it went. check that first cause gze's dont go that bad standard, the only other way to really know is to put it on the dyno. if its producing the right power that it should then maybe start looking for a turbo.
krayzie
Regular

April 2003

Re: my GZE not as good as anticipated Wed, 21 January 2004 02:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
One question ..... How much extra weight you carrying in the car ie sub box,amps,leather interior, big chromies etc?

speedchaser
Newcomer

January 2004
Re: my GZE not as good as anticipated Wed, 21 January 2004 15:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you want better response and power. Put a smaller SC pulley in. You can take a look at my website http://www.speedchaser.net on the pulley.

The smaller SC pulley is lighter and it will not turn the water pump any faster than stock which a bigger crank pulley would. This in turn will give you better response than a bigger crank pulley. The smaller SC pulley will give you more psi but the stock IC will heatsoak like hell. A front mount will be required to turn the temps down because the SC12 is notorious for building up heat at higher boost. It'll give you about 185+hp depending on your fuel setup. If you have a heavy foot, your clutch will be the first thing to toast.

If you want more, turbo the GZE. If it's a MAP GZE AE101, the stock ECU will run the TD05 turbo happily up to 18psi with 450cc injectors (Mitsubishi VR4). That will give you about 240+hp to the wheels. Need to fool the MAP to get away with that boost. I'm running a Pierburg 6 Bar pump and a fuel regulator to bring down the pressure on idle.

The GZE stock internals are very strong and many of the GZEs that blow up was due to the con-rod bearings giving up. Change the stock bearings to some strong aftermarket ones and it will stand 26psi with ease with a matching turbo, provided adequate fuel management and good intake temp cooling is in place.

We have practical means to test the GZE engines till it blows because engines are pretty cheap over here in my country and it's not a worry. So we have first hand knowledge of how far and at what boost the AE101 GZE could stand.
allencr
Regular

May 2002
Re: my GZE not as good as anticipated Wed, 21 January 2004 17:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
compression check!! vacuum AND pressure leak checks, then advance ign. timing till it pings.
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: my GZE not as good as anticipated Wed, 21 January 2004 21:26 Go to previous message
allencr wrote on Thu, 22 January 2004 03:10

then advance ign. timing till it pings.

farkk mate, that's prity rough.. Shocked
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:2tg fan
Next Topic:EPC's
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 09:07:38 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0056459903717041 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar