Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Draza
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Sticker removal Tue, 20 January 2004 02:28 Go to next message
I am wanting to remove the stickers from the side of my car. They are the standard "2.0 Twin cam 16". is there any easy way to do it or is it simply time with a heat gun/hair dryer?
  Send a private message to this user    
ThatDogsFullySickMate
Regular

January 2004
Re: Sticker removal Tue, 20 January 2004 02:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
simply time with a heat gun/hair dryer or in the sun

mineral turpentine to remove the glue OR citrus based glue remover, look to SPANDEX for that as it wont harm your paint
Draza
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Sticker removal Tue, 20 January 2004 02:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yea thats what i thought, but after 1hour with a hair dryer only to get off "16" of the stickers i thought there must be an easyer way. Well i get i call my mates for a heat gun. thx
FKN16V
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: Sticker removal Tue, 20 January 2004 03:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I believe eucalyptus oil is good for sticky shit, not sure what it might do to the paint thou.

Isnt brake fluid good for stickers, i know it harms paint if left on for too long.
Draza
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Sticker removal Tue, 20 January 2004 04:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well it needs a respray anyway so i'll give that a try
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Sticker removal Tue, 20 January 2004 04:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what I did Dave is I got the hairdryer and used an old CD and just pushed gently as the glue was heated and it came off perfect.

a little solvent of any description removes the residue. Once I got is started I was able to actually just peel it carefully by hand. Couldn't be easier! Smile
T APLUS 22
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Sticker removal Tue, 20 January 2004 04:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the eucalyptus oil shouldn't do anything to the paint
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Sticker removal Tue, 20 January 2004 05:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
heat sticker
peel sticker
get rubbing compound or metal polish (on the paint)
rub like crazy
factory finish
Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: Sticker removal Tue, 20 January 2004 08:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Here's a copy of my reply to this question last time it came up.

Joshstix wrote on Wed, 28 May 2003 12:17

If they're the kind of plastic stickers they use to make pin stripes and things there is a cool tool for removing them, it also removes all of the glue residue and crud left after removing other stickers and things. It's basically a circular eraser on a mandrel that you put in a drill and use to rub the stickers and glue off with. 3M make one that is good but the one I got was a no name. I just described what I was after to the guys at an automotive paint supplier and they said "Oh a caramel wheel". I found out what they meant because the thing stinks like caramel but it rips the stickers and residue off in no time. I removed all of the glue from rubbing strips and all of the pin stripes on my AW11 in under 2 hours where as it took me about 3 hours to do 2 feet of glue with solvents on my last car.

The only thing to be careful of is to run the drill at a real low speed because it is possible to burn the paint.

I've still got the wheel if you'd like to borrow it let me know.
SprinterBoy
Regular

January 2004
Re: Sticker removal Tue, 20 January 2004 08:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FKN16V wrote on Tue, 20 January 2004 14:45

I
Isnt brake fluid good for stickers, i know it harms paint if left on for too long.

nooooooooooooooo...............!!!!! I worked i a panel shop for a while (2months) so i don't know it all but the one thing i did do was take off alot of stickers. Heat gun is fine, use something to scrape the sticker off with while heating, (Plastic ice scraper work's good) brake fluid starts to eat away at the paint the second it's applied, same as egg, so if your going to clean off the rest it's up to good old elbow greese and a soft cloth. have fun. J
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Sticker removal Tue, 20 January 2004 08:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
josh - if it's an open offer, I'd love to borrow that thingy to get the stripes off my supra
Draza
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Sticker removal Tue, 20 January 2004 09:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sprinterboy...as i said i plan on getting a respray done, it will be within the next 3-9 months, so yea it will eat away at the paint but i'm not awefully worried about that.
SprinterBoy
Regular

January 2004
Re: Sticker removal Tue, 20 January 2004 09:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Draza- Ok so if you really don't care to much about the paint just take a rag with some thinners to it. and use a razor blade too. might be able to etch you name into the side too!!! only jokes. just thought that you mught want some help with it all. coz when it get 5months in and you respray is still 4 months away you'll get the shits with the marks left. oh, if it does eat the paint, put something over it(cheap spary can/clear coat) so it dont get water in there, J Cool
Draza
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Sticker removal Tue, 20 January 2004 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yea if my paint was in good condition i wouldn't be getting the respray. My paint has chips, cracks and some rust in it, but thats what happens if u leave it out side while saving the money for an engine conversion.
But thx anyway.
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Sticker removal Tue, 20 January 2004 09:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
heat sticker with hairdryer

peel off excess..

stubborn ones wipe over with eucalypus oil on a rag to dissolve some of the glue - keep heat up ..

Sticker will come off - then clean area with more euc oil , which will dull the paint a little bit ..

When dry - wash off euc oil , then polish up the paint ..

Taken 3 stickers off the Gt4 this way with no side effects
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Sticker removal Tue, 20 January 2004 12:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hint: when removing cut-vinyl stickers, heat up one edge and lift off with a plastic scraper so you have a good grasp of the sticker, continue heating (direct heat at the emerging gap) and pull the sticker back flat against the car (e.g. 180 degrees to 'peeling edge').

if you pull it at 90 degrees to the sticker it will tend to tear

if the sticker is crumbling, try softening the glue layer with dry-cleaning fluid - tho this stuff will stain paint and ruin gloss finish if left on for too long (tho if the sticker's gone crumbly, the paint's probably snafu too). after softening, use plastic paint scraper to remove

(some fridges also come with a scraper to help remove ice from the freezer, is also good for scraping loose paint/gunk)
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Sticker removal Wed, 21 January 2004 02:56 Go to previous message
a Good pressure washer will take the stickers off real quick and unless the paint is really ratshit it should not hurt it

Allan
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Crazy Conversions !
Next Topic:Number of bolts in crank for flywheel 4AC and 4AFE
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri May 3 18:21:14 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0053567886352539 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.