Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » The Outhouse » Which mobile carrier are you with ?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Which mobile carrier are you with ? Thu, 22 January 2004 11:49 Go to next message

What Mobile Carrier ?[ 59 vote(s) ]
1.Optus / reseller 20 / 34%
2.Vodafone 18 / 31%
3.Telstra 16 / 27%
4.Orange 2 / 3%
5.Three (3) 3 / 5%

Thinking of going with Three...

Any opinions ? They are not that expensive... if you buy 2 phones now, with 2 for one offer... $15 a month is all you have to pay ... and that include $16 of the funky video calls and other funky services !

do i sound like a salesman or what ?

Send a private message to this user    
Callifo
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: Which mobile carrier are you with ? Thu, 22 January 2004 11:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I remember thinking they were ok but then I found that on top of the advertised fee there is also a minimum spend limit per month of like $15. So I stuck with Vodaphone no plans.
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Which mobile carrier are you with ? Thu, 22 January 2004 11:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yup minimum spend of $15 bucks (prepaid voice calls)

with the video calls and crap... basically if u use ur allocated amount... it is actually credited to your account !

thus the lest u have to pay a mth is $15
lang
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Which mobile carrier are you with ? Thu, 22 January 2004 12:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i was with three, but im not with telstra again.

dad cracked the shits with them because he wanted to change the bank account details that it was getting debited from, he was winding up one company and starting another (same business just a new more relevant name to the kind of work he does). They wanted to know shit like how many employees he had and his turnover ect ect ect, hes like fuck off you dont need to know that for a bloody phone. so he canceled the account and changed back to telstra.

Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Which mobile carrier are you with ? Thu, 22 January 2004 12:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how was the actual phone and service though ?
lang
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Which mobile carrier are you with ? Thu, 22 January 2004 12:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
prices were good for calls and messages (bought the phone outright) but customer service was wak and the phone was too big (they have better ones now)
silvercil40
Regular

August 2003
Re: Which mobile carrier are you with ? Thu, 22 January 2004 12:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Three is good if your mates are on it to.
Free 10min calls to other Three phones, 15c sms, 25c mms.
Costs 50c to download games and call rates are reasonable(45c for 30 sec inc. flag).
Although 3G coverage is limited as it is still young, when reception drops off you go to vodafone coverage, which still isnt that great. And is a part of Hutchinson Group, so it isnt going bankrupt any time soon.
Recommend only if you go on it with a mate, then you can make pointless calls about trivial shite.
Les wrote on Thu, 22 January 2004 22:59

yup minimum spend of $15 bucks (prepaid voice calls)

with the video calls and crap... basically if u use ur allocated amount... it is actually credited to your account !

thus the lest u have to pay a mth is $15

Not true, you pay for you plan and you pay for your phone/Three services. But you pay for your first $99 and the next $99 is free.
ChaserJZX100
Regular

July 2003
      wtf is a jabber handle
Re: Which mobile carrier are you with ? Thu, 22 January 2004 15:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
"3" Sux thier phones are gay, they are big and the menu slows down after a while, the picture quality is crap, the video talking is bullshit, the sound is flowing but the video is like 1 frame every 5secs, "3" is gay end of story. if your cheap get a nokia 3315 $150 that comes with a optus pre-paid, and you'll never owe anyone anything!!!!!

Nate
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: Which mobile carrier are you with ? Thu, 22 January 2004 15:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've heard nothing but bad comments about 3, their reception drops calls religously, their help desk is located in India, and their questioning when changing plans, are a front for infomation reselling? This is what I've heard, and the reason I'm still quite happily with Optus. Personally I wouldn't help Telstra out of a bear trap, I like the companies I pay money too, to have a vague shred of morals!
walu
Regular

December 2003
Re: Which mobile carrier are you with ? Thu, 22 January 2004 22:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
From my experience with Optus, vodaphone and Telstra....

Vodaphone - never had a dropout anywhere in Sydney. Once I left sydney metro, no reception.

Telstra - outside Sydney metro, it gets the beter reception of the three, but I am continually dropping out in Sydney metro, a number of times with decent reception too.

Optus - seems to be middle ground.

Conclusion - if you are outside Sydney regularly, get the Telstra.

If you are mainly in Sydney, get the Vodaphone.
Caledwvech
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Which mobile carrier are you with ? Thu, 22 January 2004 23:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am with Optus and love it. In the 3 years, I have very rarely had a drop out. Plus, they keep coming up with rewards for you if you stay with them. The other month I got a free month of sms because I had been with them for 2 years. Stuff like that. Their customer service is awesome. Just all round good.
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Which mobile carrier are you with ? Fri, 23 January 2004 00:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im not too fussed with dropouts... never happens to me as im in the city most days....

silvercil40

u are incorrect !! with the monthly fees for 3... thats a promotion at the moment... $16 (videocalls) + $15 minimum call spend = $31

BUT THE PROMO IS THAT IF U USE $16 OF VIDEO CALLS, IT GETS REFUNDED TO YOU !!! thus pay $16+15-16=$15 i.e. only the minimum call spend..

fckin bargain.... but the phnes are bulky... i dont mind getting the pda phone though.............

[Updated on: Fri, 23 January 2004 00:26]

CRAB-86
Regular

September 2003
Re: Which mobile carrier are you with ? Fri, 23 January 2004 00:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Im with 3 and basicaly, they suck.
I have gotten to the stage where i leave it on vodaphone coverage all the time cause i am sick of dropouts.
Allso if you call there help desk.... well..... They really ______ _______ (insert naughty, that s right naughty words here!! Mad
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Which mobile carrier are you with ? Fri, 23 January 2004 00:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmmm.. maybe thats cause u are in adelaide ? or is that the whole of australia in general ?
bigg willie style
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Which mobile carrier are you with ? Fri, 23 January 2004 05:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you are gonna get a three phone hold out unitl the nec e616, its a small flip out phone, and updated e606. it should be out some time in the next few months. you can find info about it on international 3 websites.
but i have heard nothing bad things about 3, and i know a guy who works at one of their shops, and when i asked him about how many people are dissatisfied with the service, he kinda didnt have much to say.
silvercil40
Regular

August 2003
Re: Which mobile carrier are you with ? Fri, 23 January 2004 06:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Les, that deal sounds alright, but Three isnt graet and their phones are huge. Hold out for the nec if you do get one.
I havent had enough problems with Three to change carriers, but im spending the same now as i was on telstra prepaid but getting more talk time. My opinion "meh, no that exciting".
T APLUS 22
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Which mobile carrier are you with ? Fri, 23 January 2004 08:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well in victoria 3 is fantastic - IF you live in the correct zones. They have limited coverage for the video link. The phones are great, the menus are a little slow. I've been with optus and haven't had any major problems with them. Except really bad flat spots in my area. I live in Metro melbourne, so I'm not happy with that. Not that it would matter in sydney.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Which mobile carrier are you with ? Fri, 23 January 2004 08:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm with Telstra, mainly because until recently I was with them on a staff plan, and when I wanted a new phone, no one could come close to the deal they had I wanted for the phone.

I'm happy, good reception everywhere, customer service was always helpful for me and they don't send me fuck-off bills for shit we didn't do like when we had our home phone with Optus.
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Which mobile carrier are you with ? Fri, 23 January 2004 09:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
silvercil40 wrote on Fri, 23 January 2004 17:05

Hey Les, that deal sounds alright, but Three isnt graet and their phones are huge. Hold out for the nec if you do get one.
I havent had enough problems with Three to change carriers, but im spending the same now as i was on telstra prepaid but getting more talk time. My opinion "meh, no that exciting".

meh - hahahahahahaha
silvercil40
Regular

August 2003
Re: Which mobile carrier are you with ? Fri, 23 January 2004 13:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The best part about it is the free calls to other Three phones.
I call my mate just cos im bored and it doesnt cost anything.
SW20R
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: Which mobile carrier are you with ? Sat, 24 January 2004 03:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
optus in the west was just busy all the time at night
good offers and all but just not usable at times

vodafone is pretty good great deals now i think its like 20c voda fone to vodafone aslong as you want

telstra no doubt has the best recption but dont provide any goodies
GRLTOY
Regular

December 2003
  Creator of Mischief
Re: Which mobile carrier are you with ? Mon, 26 January 2004 09:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lemme see....
I've had Voda pre-paid
Telstra pre-paid / contract
Optus contract
RSL Comm contract.

All of the above have been great no matter where I've gone...except for the half night I accidenitly spent riding a mechanical bull at Old Texas Ranch just the other side of Terrace...

In 6 years I've had 3 phone, all have been nokias and they've held up pretty well...recently repaired my 8250 for dad who's currently happy with lil mr blu-phone. I'm contented with my 7250 and the old and redundant 5110 lives out its retirement in my bedroom somewhere with my sister whoring the old contract sim for all the optus free-time she desires...damn freeloader.

I'm not versed on the new brand of 3 but have heard rather dulling rumours about its perceived lustrous reputation.

Optus has customer rewards as afore mentioned and I've saved 70 bucks off my last bill by tailoring a plan...
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon10.gif  Re: Which mobile carrier are you with ? Tue, 27 January 2004 01:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Vodafone Business Plan.
20c for 10minutes to other Vodafones. Plus free time from 8pm-8am.

19c/30s for everything else. No flagfall.

I love my plan. Smile

Oh, and it helps that just about all my friends are on Vodafone...
Optus around my area (Cabra region) just sucked at night, that's why we all switched from Optus to Voda.
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Which mobile carrier are you with ? Tue, 27 January 2004 01:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nned to buy phone outright ?
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Which mobile carrier are you with ? Fri, 30 January 2004 01:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nope. Phone came with the plan. I think I paid $170 for the 6310. This was when it was first released.
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
icon8.gif  Re: Which mobile carrier are you with ? Sat, 31 January 2004 14:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeh but now all voda plans are BYO phone right ?
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Which mobile carrier are you with ? Sun, 01 February 2004 12:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No idea. Smile
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Which mobile carrier are you with ? Mon, 03 May 2004 04:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No not really you can still get the business plans on vodafone but they star from like 100 up.

The red sim plans suit me pretty well. So I'll be staying with vodafone.

Just waiting for the Nokia 6230 to come out then I'm upgrading.

Bugger Dug up an old thread....oooops

[Updated on: Mon, 03 May 2004 04:22]

RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Which mobile carrier are you with ? Mon, 03 May 2004 04:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
We need a 'what the crap is a mobile' option. I've never owned a mobile phone, sometimes if I have to message somone I might borrow a general 'family' mobile...but that's about it. Life w/o mobile phone is good, no constant disturbances Smile
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Which mobile carrier are you with ? Mon, 03 May 2004 04:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't know how people survive without a mobile. I knew a few guys who didn't have mobiles and they'd never get invited out 'coz it was too much trouble to track them down. Smile

Also, another one broke his leg whilst mountain biking alone down a mountain.
He was lucky that there was a couple who coincidentally was walking down the mountain about half an hour later...
mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Which mobile carrier are you with ? Mon, 03 May 2004 05:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
when I'm in brisbane my phone service is outstanding but as soon a fair distance out west its no where near as good, moblies, you'd think they'd be just as good in the bush/outback?
finney
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Which mobile carrier are you with ? Mon, 03 May 2004 07:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i've been with optus prepaid for ages now, maybe even 5 years, works alrite, only reason i haven't switched to a plan is that i bought a new phone to replace my old one and they have 22c for 10 mins to any mobile in australia 7pm-7am which works out well for me seeing as i make most of my calls then, but i honestly really need to go on a plan to save during the day.
jackel
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: Which mobile carrier are you with ? Mon, 03 May 2004 17:11 Go to previous message
i'm with telsta atm and i use to always think they were crap, they ain't that bad with mobiles. Always have coverage and with my phone i get 50 free sms's every month.
I'm on a $40 plan with a e365 and the only reason i chose it was cause you got a $700 portable dvd player for $100(anyone wanna buy it $350 Smile). I liked optus cause of there "optus freetime" that came in handy talking to friends but now not many people are with optus.

From what i'm seen with 3, there prices are great, there phones are getting smaller and smaller. Don't know about there customer service tho. I wish i had of gone with them but.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:My wife had a baby girl
Next Topic:another windoze virus (nt based) lsass exploit
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 19:20:50 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0062751770019531 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.