Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
kohoy
Regular

January 2004

Suspension fitting for AE86 Fri, 23 January 2004 02:47 Go to next message
How do I fit some king springs and shocks into my AE86 myself? what tools do I need?
  Send a private message to this user    
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: Suspension fitting for AE86 Fri, 23 January 2004 03:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
REAR: you need a jack, some stands, put the rear on axle stands and let the diff reach full droop. Then using a 14mm spanner undo the single bolt on either side of the housing that holds the shock on, pull off shock and then diff housing will drop down more. pull out old springs and put in new springs. easy, shocks are also easy, just undo the top bolts unbder the trim in the rear and the shocks will then fall out onto the ground. bolt up is the reverse of above.

FRONT: a little harder, jack front of car up, take wheels off, then get a 17mm socket, undo the brake hose on the caliper, then undo the two bolts holding the caliper on, take caliper off, then unscrew off brake hose, clamp hose to prevent fluid from draining. then with 17mm again undo the two bolts at bottom of strut. then undo the 3 12mm bolts at the top of the strut tower. whole strut will drop out then.

Use a spring compressor to clamp the springs, undo the top nut which is a 19mm nut, then take off strut top, take spring off, and then get a large shifter or vice clamp, and put shock body nut in that, undo and then the entire shock will come out including it's oil. Leave some oil in the strut body, put new shock in, do up nut and put in new springs and then bolt it all back up.

oil is left in the strut to transfer the heat from the shock cartrage to the strut body.
kohoy
Regular

January 2004

Re: Suspension fitting for AE86 Fri, 23 January 2004 03:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks m8~ it's a lot of help!
FKN16V
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: Suspension fitting for AE86 Sat, 24 January 2004 02:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Its not hard at all, althought it may seem daunting at first just do one at a time, and you should remember where it all goes when its going back together.
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: Suspension fitting for AE86 Sat, 24 January 2004 07:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i agree with simon, but i would like to add that you can do it without disconnecting the brake lines, thats how i did it.

i unbolted the calipers and let them hang by the brake lines (not a good idea, i suggest hangoing them from wire or zip ties or something)

i think i undid the lower contro arms where they pivot, probably not the best way to do it, but it worked in the end.

try compressing the springs, tying with wire or something then remove the compressors, as there isnt much roon inside the strut towers. (dangerous if you arent careful) install them, let the car down and cut the wire so the spring doesnt "sproing"

i put mine back in without spring compressors (the springs i had i could compres by hand to get the strud top back on) and it was no fun at all, believe me!

mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Suspension fitting for AE86 Sat, 24 January 2004 13:19 Go to previous message
Maybe you need to be nice to someone who's done it, go visit them, and get them to help you do it, observe and learn. Evil or Very Mad

(OH CRAP! I haven't gone and volunteered myself AGAIN have I??)
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Ceramic coatings on turbos?!
Next Topic:20valve 4a-ge into AE86 in Adelaide
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 12 06:30:46 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0037350654602051 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.