Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Classifieds » Miscellaneous » EOI - Unfinished project - AE86 sprinter - inc bob holden's ex race engine

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Drift_Maniac
Regular

August 2003
EOI - Unfinished project - AE86 sprinter - inc bob holden's ex race engine Thu, 22 January 2004 06:08 Go to next message
Due to my new job and being too busy these days, i am currently thinking of selling my sprinter i have been working on for a while. The body is complete(except for front/rear bumpers), is very straight and i have all the interior panels for it. The firewall is modded back to suit larger engines, such as 20v comfortably. All rust has been removed from the body and welded over.

The engine is the 16v that was in one of bob holden's old race cars and includes some custom mods - larger sump, heavy duty crank and big cams/adjustable cam gears. Includes loom and TRD ecu(has 2 motherboards inside).

Would prefer not to separate, due to the time i don't have. Will post some pics on the weekend, but if anyone is interested let me know and how much you think it's worth.
  Send a private message to this user    
TerryOBeirne
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: EOI - Unfinished project - AE86 sprinter - inc bob holden's ex race engine Thu, 22 January 2004 06:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I doubt that Bobs engines had "heavy duty" cranks as the Gp A rules prohibited a change in this item. They all had the early 40mm big-ends. Also, they typically only had 9mm cams as it was not permitted to alter the inlet manifolds until 1992, so huge lifts were not helpful. Adjustable gears were never homolgated as far as I know for Gp A. The first of the TRD computers had a small adjustment panel (usually mounted near the driver), while the later ones were fixed and not user re-programmable. Having said all that, if you decide to sell the engine and/or computer separately, let me know. cash waiting.
170bhp
Regular

January 2004
Re: EOI - Unfinished project - AE86 sprinter - inc bob holden's ex race engine Thu, 22 January 2004 06:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I actually spoke to Bob Holden one day about his ae86, he was running 304 degree cams with 10.5mm lift and shim under, he had some very interesting stories about his trip to japan to get bits from TRD when he was racing the car.
170bhp
Regular

January 2004
Re: EOI - Unfinished project - AE86 sprinter - inc bob holden's ex race engine Thu, 22 January 2004 06:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh Terry, you are right about the manifold being standard, he said that it was the restricting factor in making power but they still used the big cams, he went to using argo rods after he found out the factory car was using carillos (they could use them as they had been homologated for Formula atlantic) at first they were using stock rods but they kept banging motors, they couldn't understand why the factory backed cars revved higher and didn't bang.....then they found out Wink
rob-ae86
Regular

November 2002
Re: EOI - Unfinished project - AE86 sprinter - inc bob holden's ex race engine Thu, 22 January 2004 07:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how much for just the engine/loom/ecu
TerryOBeirne
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: EOI - Unfinished project - AE86 sprinter - inc bob holden's ex race engine Sat, 24 January 2004 00:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I actually have 2 of the ex Gp A AE86's. One of them was raced by Bob & others in his team from 84 to 92. The other was a Gp A rally car converted to ciruit use by Bob & Adrian Brooke, then back to a rally car. The Carillo rod was never available to group A and is not listed in the Homologation papers. Group a was "series production", and as such, there were limited allowable mods. I worked on various of these Gp A cars when new. There was also absolutely no link to Formula Atlantic (as I have some of these engines also & have dealings with TRD enginners in the USA on such matters). Toyota did homologate 3 different special conrods (I have 2 sets), but they are modified "standard looking" forgings, of varying lengths. Argo, Crower, Carillo and other rods were tried by a few people (illegally), but mostly in the AE92 etc, when the 42mm crank was used. When Group A was coming to an end in 1992, a few of the rules got freeer, and a couple of sets of quad TB's were tried. One of my cars ran with a 1GG for a short time under what became "super touring" rules. Anyone is welcome to come take a look, or even better, help in their restoration
Panda Tofu ^_^
Regular

January 2004
Re: EOI - Unfinished project - AE86 sprinter - inc bob holden's ex race engine Sat, 24 January 2004 01:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think you will find that the cams, cranks etc were custom modifications by drift_maniac...maybe you should read before you give a lecture Laughing
ThatDogsFullySickMate
Regular

January 2004
Re: EOI - Unfinished project - AE86 sprinter - inc bob holden's ex race engine Sat, 24 January 2004 02:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the way i read the ad it claims the 'custom mods' were made by bob holden, so maybe you should read it again before being so rude Rolling Eyes
170bhp
Regular

January 2004
Re: EOI - Unfinished project - AE86 sprinter - inc bob holden's ex race engine Sun, 25 January 2004 05:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Terry, I'm only going on what Bob told me, but shame you are interstate, it would be great to see the cars Smile
royal
Regular

October 2003
Re: EOI - Unfinished project - AE86 sprinter - inc bob holden's ex race engine Sun, 25 January 2004 13:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so is the car running or drive-able?!

Cheers
TerryOBeirne
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: EOI - Unfinished project - AE86 sprinter - inc bob holden's ex race engine Mon, 26 January 2004 22:32 Go to previous message
Ok guys, I wanted to make sure the record was set straight, as there is a lot of mis-information around. I was not rude, just factual.
1 of my cars is race-worthy except for a ding I got last year, and the other is needing a full resto after being involved in a big shunt. I also have a few other race toyotas and other race stuff. The Gp A cars get historic concession as of 2005, so I am pulling out the stops to get them both restored for end of this year. I have asked on Toymods a couple of times for anyone in bris area wanting to help, but rarely get any responses.
I'm still waiting on a price for the bits as per my PM!!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:expression of interest - ta22 st celica with 2tb engine
Next Topic:RWD 4AGE, Computer, Loom and Extractors FS
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 13:32:43 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0056488513946533 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.