Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » OZ Tuning Expert.

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
st150
Occasional Poster

August 2002
icon10.gif  OZ Tuning Expert. Mon, 12 August 2002 12:36 Go to next message
I was introduced to this Aussie "Tuning Expert" recently who's now residing in Malaysia. I was told that he was formerly the HKS country Manager of Australia.

The thing is, he claims that he could he could tweak an additional 40 Hp from my 165 ps 3S-GE by just installing a UniChip,larger (400cc) injectors & a larger throttle body; that's it. Shocked

No higher lift cams, no port & polish etc... I'm a little doubtful about his claims. Can anyone / experts out there give a second opinion before I make that leap ?

Thanks very much & Greetings from Malaysia.
  Send a private message to this user    
jza70-mel
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: OZ Tuning Expert. Tue, 13 August 2002 15:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How much is he charging, and is he going to give you proof in the form of before and after dyno sheets?
You might want to see what other work he has done, and talk to other guys who have dealt with him.
Pete
Regular

May 2002

Re: OZ Tuning Expert. Wed, 14 August 2002 04:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BD4's is the offical Australian distributor/Importer of HKS gear. They have been for some time now!!
spr000
Regular

June 2002
Re: OZ Tuning Expert. Wed, 14 August 2002 04:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and BD4 doesn't reply my email.. Mad

anyway, dyno graph before & after would be good, those mods that he mentioned would take more than a day, have it done on the same dyno.. Very Happy
st150
Occasional Poster

August 2002
Re: OZ Tuning Expert. Wed, 14 August 2002 06:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks guys,

I spoke to him again yesterday & he's suggesting a wilder story; he claims that it's possible to install 4WD on my ST150 Corona & the complete transplant from the Celica !! Is it possible ??

He suggested so because if I were to dump in a pair of cams & so on, the bottom end may not be able to withstand the additional power....hmm...only an additional 40 Hp & the GE bottom end may not be able to take that ??

OK, now the Dyno thing; he's bringing a dyno with no rollers. Frankly, I've never seen that before. We only have those with rollers in M'sia. Can one temper with the dyno readings ? I mean with intention to cheat on the figures ?

Like you guys suggested, I'll wait & see his work before I get into this. He's now working on a Mitsubishi GTO to 450 Hp, a Mazda Lantis B8 Turbo & a Mazda MX5 (turbo charging it).

He offered me reprofile cams, is it OK ? Any ill side effects on reprofile cams ?

Thanks very much & Regards. Embarassed
spr000
Regular

June 2002
Re: OZ Tuning Expert. Thu, 15 August 2002 02:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
as suggested, if he was going to use that type of dyno, have the before & after figures with the same dyno.. Smile
MS-75
Regular

June 2002
Re: OZ Tuning Expert. Thu, 15 August 2002 04:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Unless he posesses a dynopack dyno or is intending to remove the engine and run it on an engine dyno I'd be a bit suspicious. (though if he does have an axle style dyno then they are the BEST and MOST ACCURATE type of chassis dyno you can get) The only way to test the power of an engine in the car is by roller style units, dynopack style axle units or a g-tech meter. As for replacing the bottom end when he does the cams-the only reason to do that is if it's going to have the crap revved out of it. Otherwise, if the revs are only marginally more the rise in cylinder pressures will not cause the engine to blow. (or of course if it's alredy done 350 000 km)
Toyota engine are not that fragile (nor are most other engines).

Have your car dynoed on a roller unit before and after for comparison, and have him clarify if the 40 increase is supposed to be at the flywheel or wheels. Sounds like a big claim with no difference in the mechanics of the motor except for the TB. I'd be a but dubious about the ability of the TB mod on it's own to supply the required extra air to make that much more power. Remember, the unichip and injectors only allow the air/fuel/ignition maps to be optimised and allow the motor to get closer to it's maximum theoretical power output-they do not on their own add ANY power at all.

Get us a name and we'll be able to find out if he has credentials over here.

As for the 4wd option-just buy a 4wd celica to start with-it won't be worth the hassle or cost of doing it.

Sean
st150
Occasional Poster

August 2002
Re: OZ Tuning Expert. Fri, 16 August 2002 16:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sean,

Thanks very much for the advise. I'm very doubtful about this guy too, that's why I wrote in to ask for a second opinion on it.

I've never seen the dyno yet, he just showed me pic of it as his stuff that has yet to arrive from Australia. It's sorta has a drum like thing with some extension fitted to the hub of the wheel (with the wheels removed).

I've yet to get his business calling card as his shop will only officially open in mid Sept. Shall keep you posted as soon as I can get his full name, so that maybe you guys can do some sorta background check on this so-called expert.

I'd love to have a Celica instead of modding up a Frankenstein but it costs a bomb over here & frankly, I just can't afford one on my present miserable pay.

Thanks very much again & Regards.

[Updated on: Fri, 16 August 2002 16:37]

MS-75
Regular

June 2002
Re: OZ Tuning Expert. Tue, 20 August 2002 01:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If it bolts to the axle as you're describing, it could well be a dynopack unit or similar. In that case he may have a pretty good handle on doing things as the axle dyno's are far superior to the roller style ones.

Sean
st150
Occasional Poster

August 2002
Re: OZ Tuning Expert. Tue, 20 August 2002 14:56 Go to previous message
Sean,

Thanks very much for yr info again, mate. Hopefully when the shop's officially opened next month, I'll be able to take some pics of it & maybe by then I can show them to you for verification as it's very much in a guessing stage right now.

Regards.

http://nmeconline.tripod.com/carreviews/st150.html Smile
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Help - Oil Pressure Sending Unit on 22RE-C
Next Topic:4a-c weird miss help
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 9 10:09:25 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0050921440124512 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.