Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
B6 DOHC Sat, 24 January 2004 12:42 Go to next message
I know this isn't a Toyota motor but I'm thinking of getting a laser for my girlfriend - It has a 1.6 EFI Twin Cam. Does anyone know how tough these are - it's rated at 80kw and 143Nm - not that far off an early 4AGE. Anybody know any good sites i could get some info as I can't find much compared with when I do searches for my toyota stuff..in fact not much at all. Are they structurally similar to a 4AGE. Thanks.
  Send a private message to this user    
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: B6 DOHC Sat, 24 January 2004 14:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This is really annoying...can't find anything, whether its an interference motor i.e when the timing belt snaps or anything..whats wrong with these mazda/ford people Sad
clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: B6 DOHC Sat, 24 January 2004 22:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Been down this path for my wifes car (1.8, sohc, 16v). There is stuff all. I found one forum, averaging 3-4 posts a week and about 3-4 replies a month. I believe they are interference. Belt change not too hard, just have to remove quite a bit (IMO) to get it off/on.

The only site around don't rate compared to here (hey what does Very Happy ). Unless you are turboing it there is very little out there. (someone prove me wrong)
IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: B6 DOHC Sat, 24 January 2004 22:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
They are a pretty crappy engine, do a search on an english site and you should find some stuff there, they have power but are extremely unreliable and have lots of oil leak issues
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: B6 DOHC Sat, 24 January 2004 22:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
An astina or early 90's laser was it? Thanks for that, was wondering if it was just me that couldn't find anything - I figured mazda would have similar range of info to Toyota...Mazda owners must not be "tinkerers"
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: B6 DOHC Sat, 24 January 2004 22:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just saw you're message IRA11Y - be careful you reckon...not as good as a 4AGE it sounds. I'll see if i can find something on the english sites
FWDCelica
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: B6 DOHC Sat, 24 January 2004 22:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dude,

I think you'll find it the same/very similar to the 1600 Mazda MX5 motor. I don't think the Laser ever came standard in OZ with the Twin Cam. (except for the AWD Turbo Laser)

Take a look at
"http://members.aol.com/solomiata/MX5Engine.html"

OR

"www.miata.net"

Cheers
T.

[Updated on: Sat, 24 January 2004 22:43]

HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: B6 DOHC Sun, 25 January 2004 01:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the links etc. Just had a closer look at the Laser. Pretty sure it was a B6 DOHC, the laser was a 1995 but a 1.6 not 1.8. Could see quite a few oil leaks like IRA11Y was saying when underneath with torch and around the rocker cover/dizzy etc..maybe best to steer clear and get her to buy a toyota - seem to be more robust cars/engines. The woman selling it said she had oil changed/service every 15 000 kms as if this is good!
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: B6 DOHC Sun, 25 January 2004 02:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TX3's came with B6 Twin cams in both FWD and AWD, check out www.fordlaser.com Theres plenty of B6 nuts there to ask. Hell, you'll even find me there too!

Clint
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: B6 DOHC Sun, 25 January 2004 02:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey clint, that website is great. not as good as toymods but good to have as a reference. How come i couldnt get to that with google i wonder..oh well thanks a lot.
Steve-AE86
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2003
Re: B6 DOHC Sun, 25 January 2004 08:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
why dont you buy her a corolla...

i mean...if you want reliable, economical, class...

hold their value

look good

more respect.

less oil leaks(read-next to none)

no smoke blowing

i wouldn't let my wife even look at a Ford Loser...
fuck that for a joke. i dont have the stress of wondering if she's ok. her car wont break down.

HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: B6 DOHC Sun, 25 January 2004 11:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
After seeing this laser i think you're right Steve. My corolla has been going solid - bought it with no real service records either but still is the money. She's got about 4-6k to spend. This laser had 164000 kms on in but was a 95 and was hence newer inside - nicer dash instrumentation etc than a similarly priced corolla. Think I will get her a good condition AE82 or AE92. Anybody had luck with Auctions?
Steve-AE86
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2003
Re: B6 DOHC Sun, 25 January 2004 23:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
for 5-6k, you should be able to pick up a NICE ae92, just make sure you get her an EFI one. (4A-FE)

one of my mates at work got himself an SX Twin Cam for 6k, and it's not too bad, either. it's a seca, and it's white.

for 6k, you should be able to find maybe even an RV, which came with the 7A-FE.

have a look through this..

http://www.carsales.com.au
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: B6 DOHC Mon, 26 January 2004 01:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Also check out:
http://carpoint.ninemsn.com.au/marketplace/UsedCar advoption.asp

Word of advice, don't get her a Mitsubishi! Very Happy

Make sure you get an EFI model.
Is she going for a Manual or Auto?
If Manual, check that it's got a hydraulic clutch (I'm not sure if all Corolla's came with hydraulics or not) as cable clutches are realy bad IMHO (I have one).

Ahh, anyway, hope that wasn't too obvious, and helped you out a little. Very Happy
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: B6 DOHC Mon, 26 January 2004 12:49 Go to previous message
Thanks for the advice.. trying to get her to learn manual on my AE82 twinky, no power assist on steering with wider tyres so having bit of a rough time. I think it may be better to get her an auto. Has anyone had to replace an autobox in an AE92 or AE82 - how costly is this not that I'm planning on buying a bombed out one. I was trying to get her a manual as less seems to go wrong..replace a clutch and thats about it, but I think auto will suit her better for driving around city. I will check out those websites and not buy mitsubishi...sticking with corolla - my gf is sick of me talking about how good toyotas are..she reckons i should get money for advertising, gee i must be sad...but its true..right?

Going to weld up my exhaust hole tommorrow - has anyone noticed the pipe from the cat back to the muffler flange has a large weld joining it together running the length of the pipe...saw another rolla with the same today..wierd way to make pipe I say, usually you can see a small seem in standard pipe but not like this. Anyway..drive safely. Had a look at a bit of a clapped out AE92 twin cam today for almost 6k..no good
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Landcruiser calipers - spring?
Next Topic:Pods Vs panels ( Air intake ) what do you think.
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 20 11:34:22 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0044019222259521 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.