Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
GTStar
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Dog Help! Mon, 26 January 2004 11:30 Go to next message
hi guys! My bro took in a pregnant stray(not here) and she's just given birth! She had six pups and they look healthy and well. Now the problem is that it's the 5th day after giving birth and she's starting to bleed, is this normal or should he bring the dog to the vet?

Oh yea how long before a puppy open's it eyes!?!?!

any help is appreciated! Smile

Cheers
  Send a private message to this user    
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Dog Help! Mon, 26 January 2004 11:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The puppies take a while to open their eyes... a couple of weeks I think. But if the bitch is bleeding take her to a vet to be on the safe side. If she dies or is sick, you will have a lot of puppies to care for that she would otherwise feed.
GTStar
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Dog Help! Mon, 26 January 2004 18:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks...yea ill prob tell my bro to do that.

but the thing is she's not bleeding heavily it's just drops around..

yea the babies feed like 24hrs a day but they are the cutest things... Smile
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Dog Help! Tue, 27 January 2004 00:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What kind of dog is she/they?
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: Dog Help! Tue, 27 January 2004 01:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
definately take the dog to the vet, Alvin. It may be some form of prolapse, which is never good but easily fixed. I'll put some money in your brother's account if he can't afford it or is worried about the cost - but I want it used for the dog!
GTStar
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Dog Help! Tue, 27 January 2004 04:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its a stray mongrel will post some pics up if u guys are interested.

clint: whats prolaspe? shes stopped bleeding today but we'll definately bring her to the vet today, it's 'chinese new year' everything's been closed for a week! *bah*
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: Dog Help! Tue, 27 January 2004 05:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A prolapse is basically where part or all of the womb turns inside out - not nice. keep an eye out for abdominal pain if this is the case, but still have her checked. Try to keep the mother(bitch is such a nasty word these days!), as healthy as possible, as the pups will be receiving lots of anitbodies and proteins hard to replicate in the milk they suckle from her. Being a stray, I'd say she also has some form of internal worm, which will be passed onto the pups, make sure the vet uses some form of pup friendly treatment for her, and the pups at the appropriate time.

Excellent to hear what your brother has done for the dog, coming from a guy with three dogs from the dogs home too!

[Updated on: Tue, 27 January 2004 05:06]

SW20R
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: Dog Help! Tue, 27 January 2004 11:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmm this is how my old girl died Crying or Very Sad

we went on a holiday and she gave birth.. she died because of bleeding and the fact she was like 14 years old (human age) poor thing i really miss that dog. it was a black labraddor named blackie. one of the most loyal dogs ever.

dont think ill get another dog though.. i dont like the thought of loosing a loved one after a short period of time (well they do live long but not long enough)
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Dog Help! Tue, 27 January 2004 11:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Um... Why did you go on holidays if your dog was pregnant? Who was feeding her and why didn't they call a vet or phone you? Something doesn't add up, either it is a case of neglect or you just didn't mention something. Confused

Oh, and I have a Labrador and they are by far the cutest dogs around (if you keep them slim) from puppy to old age. Nod
GTStar
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Dog Help! Wed, 28 January 2004 02:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sorry to hear that xfader...shite happens!

i got loads of pics...going to host it and put it up pretty soon!

Smile
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Dog Help! Wed, 28 January 2004 02:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Has the dog been to the vet? Confused
GTStar
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Dog Help! Wed, 28 January 2004 10:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no i can't seem to get her into the car..she's extremely reluctant

anyways im going to buy her a leash and a collar later after work will update you soon!

cheers guys..thanks for all the help and concern.

SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Dog Help! Wed, 28 January 2004 13:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmmmm... So you are 23 and you have a brother that you speak to. The dog would weigh a maximum of say 30kg. PICK HER UP AND PUT HER IN THE CAR. If she is unwell she needs to see a vet. Any problem she has would be better to be treated early,both for her and the puppies.

Sorry to be a little harsh.
GTStar
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Dog Help! Thu, 29 January 2004 02:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
she just goes crazy dude and the vet's not exactly next door.

anyways we've already bought her a collar and a leash will bring her in today...

up keep u updated!
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: Dog Help! Thu, 29 January 2004 03:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It could be a seperation anxiety from the pupies, put them in the car, and offer some food too, but basically ley her choose the time she takes to get into the car. If you force her, it will only reinforce to her that getting in a car is a bad thing.

My dog used to have a fear of the car, I slowly built up his confidence by letting him take his own time, and offering reward when he did what I wanted, first a little bit of food, but now all he gets is a pat and a kind word. I can't keep him away from the car now, cos he knows he will get praise for jumping in. The moral of the story is to use reward and praise to get the dog to do waht you want, not anger and frustration. find the key for your dog that will make her do what you want - thats the secret, and only scold or punish her when you catch her doing something wrong, not after it happens.
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Dog Help! Thu, 29 January 2004 04:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CLG - that's what I would have suggested next if she really resisted. But, I couldn't be arsed typing that much. Rolling Eyes Very Happy
GTStar
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Dog Help! Thu, 29 January 2004 11:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
okay kewls...went to the vet .. apparently it's normal to bleed a little after birth according to the vet all she needed was an antibiotics shot

thats it! *phew* Smile Smile

anyways a seperate question, how did you guys teach your dog to heel? mine goes crazy and walks ahead everytime i walk him (this is another dog) he's a jack russell cross

CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: Dog Help! Thu, 29 January 2004 12:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've never been into the whole make the dog walk at your pace (heel), make it sit at the road crossing, make the dog beg for food, so I have nevr bothered with it to be quite honest. If you want to stop your dog pulling on the lead, you need to get a nose lead, where, when the dog walks ahead, he causes his noase to be drawn into his body - he won't like it, and as a result will stop pulling on the leash attached to it. It takes time, but he will learn, and again praise is your friend in reinforcing this behaviour.
hotrolla
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Dog Help! Thu, 29 January 2004 12:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jack russel cross Laughing good luck with the training because ive had one for 11 years and his just starting to sit on command but i think my dog is just a little shit and there not all the same.
GTStar
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Dog Help! Thu, 29 January 2004 14:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yea tell me about it! they are pretty difficult to train esp. when mine's not interested in food at all!

what's your's crossed with?i was told mine was crossed with some kind of miniature sheep dog thingy.

clint: ur lucky ur dog's so obedient! i mean he'll stay on the lawn without running all over the neighbourhood! Razz
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Dog Help! Thu, 29 January 2004 15:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jackrussel! You'd hardly feel it pulling. They are small. Give the lead a yank and he'll eventually get tired of being airborn. Laughing Laughing Laughing

And, good to hear that you got the other dog checked out. WELL DONE. At least you know now that the puppies will have a mother to feed them.
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: Dog Help! Thu, 29 January 2004 18:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GTStar wrote on Thu, 29 January 2004 22:07

clint: ur lucky ur dog's so obedient! i mean he'll stay on the lawn without running all over the neighbourhood! Razz

If you think my current dogs are good, you should have seen the one I had before. While still in school, I used to hate getting up in the morning (actually, I still do). My dog would guard my bedroom door, and as soon as Mum opened it to get me up, he would dive onto my bed and lie spread eagled across me. Mum couldn't touch me, until I got up, at which point the dog would return to his normal self. Without a doubt the best dog I've ever had, and I doubt I'll ever have another one like him. And believe it or not, he was a dog's home dog too, with no formal training.

There's alot to be said for good Australian Cattledogs!!!

So, where are the pics Alvin? With all the attempted chick pulling going on here of late, you'd be a shoe in with them?!!!
GTStar
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Dog Help! Thu, 29 January 2004 18:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yea..thanks for all the concern everyone she's fine and i've found homes for all six pups! yeah!

hey simdog what kinda dog do you have ?
GTStar
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Dog Help! Thu, 29 January 2004 18:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

With all the attempted chick pulling going on here of late, you'd be a shoe in with them?!!!

huh!?!?! dont get it!?~?!

yea yea .. it's 2am in the morning..ill do it tomorrow..i gotta wake up early for work tomorrow! Very Happy Razz
HSV_gal
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Dog Help! Thu, 29 January 2004 22:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GTStar

I think there is a saying that the only thing better than a baby for chick pulling is a puppy( or something to that effect anyway).
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon2.gif  Re: Dog Help! Fri, 30 January 2004 01:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmm... I remember when I was 11 years old and had to try to teach the boxer to heel....

I don't really care about making the dog heel anyway, as long as they don't stray too far, come back when I call and don't cross the road without my command, I'm happy.

I'm asian so my method of teaching the dog is quite simple. Smack it straight away if it does something wrong and pet it if it does what you want.
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Dog Help! Fri, 30 January 2004 01:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have a 6 year old pure bred Labrador... Her name is Kirra. She's pretty obedient, you can put her dinner in her bowl and if you don't say "eat" she will leave it almost indefinitely. If I am washing or working on the car in the driveway she won't go further than next door's boundary. And if we accidentally lock the gate with her on the wrong side of it, she'll sit there until we realise and come to let her back in. She has never been to obedience school.

http://68.98.65.19:4561/1337/cressida/1991CRESSIDA/kirra%20at%20beach.JPG

This pic was taken a year or two ago.

http://68.98.65.19:4561/1337/cressida/1991CRESSIDA/Kirra%20on%20chair.JPG

This was taken on Australia Day weekend. The scar on her head is from an angry possum that attacked her at the park one night.

PS: Kirra is not normally allowed on the furniture but this was at a farm where the rules were different... She got the hang of them very quickly. Very Happy

[Updated on: Fri, 30 January 2004 01:55]

Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: Dog Help! Fri, 30 January 2004 08:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
puppys rock, over the last 7 years one of our dogs has given birth to 52 pups, in 5 litters, 12 pups at once is cool Very Happy Very Happy , these r pure bred golden retreivers with a good blood line, $600 a pup = shite loads of spare dosh
GTStar
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Dog Help! Fri, 30 January 2004 11:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.alvin.vong.info/puppies/1.JPG
http://www.alvin.vong.info/puppies/2.JPG
http://www.alvin.vong.info/puppies/3.JPG
http://www.alvin.vong.info/puppies/4.JPG
GTStar
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Dog Help! Fri, 30 January 2004 11:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.alvin.vong.info/puppies/5.JPG

http://www.alvin.vong.info/puppies/6.JPG

http://www.alvin.vong.info/puppies/7.JPG

http://www.alvin.vong.info/puppies/8.JPG

thats all of the nice ones! enjoy!!
GTStar
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Dog Help! Fri, 30 January 2004 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh yea and this turbo (cute eh?) Razz he's a jack russell X but i have no clue what he's crossed with (anyone has ideas?)

http://alvin.vong.info/turbo/turbosmall.jpg

simdog: your lab looks great! always wanted one, btw how did that incident with the possum happen?? Shocked Shocked

[Updated on: Fri, 30 January 2004 11:16]

CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: Dog Help! Fri, 30 January 2004 11:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep, that's the little bastard, I remember him well!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Dog Help! Fri, 30 January 2004 14:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
We don't know for sure if it was a possum but its not a bite mark its a scratch and cats don't usually hang out at the park. It was a claw mark... Maybe a fox? Confused

Kirra is always finding tennis balls wherever she goes and I think that's what she was looking for behind some bushes... All we heard was a yelp and she came running out. We only noticed the wound the next day and put two and two together. If I had found the monster that butchered my dog's natural good looks there would have been trouble. http://www.ls1.com/forums/images/smilies/ar.gif

I love Labradors... Our previous one, Molly, died of a tumour around her spinal cord... One day she was fine then she stopped wanting to go for walks and then a week later she was in a coma. She was 9. Crying or Very Sad
hotrolla
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Dog Help! Sat, 31 January 2004 11:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Gtstar i think your dog is crossed with a Shetland sheepdog (mini collie)

GTStar
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Dog Help! Mon, 02 February 2004 07:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hotrolla: yea thats what ppl been telling me but i guess ill never know! Mad Mad

cheers for all the help guys!
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Dog Help! Mon, 02 February 2004 10:00 Go to previous message
I got a Saint bernard - besides being a horse - and eating like one - Shes been great - And quite easy to train ..

Her best Friend is a german shepherd another sweetie, and her " why wont you play with me " is a jack russel - stubborn little shit he is

Pity she hardly fits in the Gt4 though Smile

PS - CUTE PUPPIES!!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Wishes, and 5 mil
Next Topic:Taking bets now - Aussie Open 2004
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 04:45:34 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0060889720916748 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.