Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Custom Inlet Manifold (4AGTE)

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Rex_Kelway
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Custom Inlet Manifold (4AGTE) Sun, 11 August 2002 12:56 Go to next message
'Tis me again,

Instead of using the RWD bigport manifold for the 4AGTE, I thought i'd fabricate my own. As the OE ones are getting rare/expensive, plus im sure i could pick up a couple of kw's in doing so.

I realise there are dyno programs that can help, but i dont have one. So it'll need to be a try and see job.

What im wondering is if anyone has any info regarding runner diameters/lengths, plenum volume, tapers etc. and also what things are connected to the manifold.

I was simply looking at short (approx 5inch x 1.5inch) bellmouthed (at the plenum) runners which feeds from a 3L barrel plenum made of 3inch mild steel. Does this sound acceptable?

Thanks boys and girls.

[Updated on: Sun, 11 August 2002 13:04]

Send a private message to this user    
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Custom Inlet Manifold (4AGTE) Sun, 11 August 2002 13:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'd be really keen to put some effort into this one, do it to suit your cams/head work/turbo to make to most of the available torque, with a big arse plenum as well. I'd love to see some quad throttles there too (GTR style). I'd be using quad throttles if it weren't for that damned gas carb in the way on mine.. Go for it!
Rex_Kelway
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Custom Inlet Manifold (4AGTE) Sun, 11 August 2002 13:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Problem is that I'll be using the stabdard AFM ECU for a while (unless someone hands me an SMC or M4). This eliminates the quad throttles for the moment (however it is part of my larger plan)

I understand when you say do it for the cams, head and turbo to give biggest spread of torque etc. But this seems very very hard given my lack of design/dyno software. Are there any 'rules of thumb' you know of?
E30-323ti
Regular

June 2002
Re: Custom Inlet Manifold (4AGTE) Sun, 11 August 2002 22:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Why would quad throttle bodies not run on a stock ECU??
As long as the AFM is still used and a TPS then the ECU won't know any different!!
If your running a MAP ECU then vacumn lines will need to be taken off each inlet after the throttle plate and all T-ed together before going to the MAP sensor.
Just my thoughts.
Rex_Kelway
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Custom Inlet Manifold (4AGTE) Mon, 12 August 2002 00:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
E30-323ti wrote on Mon, 12 August 2002 7:30 AM

Why would quad throttle bodies not run on a stock ECU??
As long as the AFM is still used and a TPS then the ECU won't know any different!!

Actually there isnt really any reason that it shouldn't work. I was just thinking that the increased efficiency/flow ability may make it run a little on the lean side. But if all that air is being metered anyway, who cares, certainly not the stock ECU.

Now heres the other problem, matching quad throttles to a bigport head. I could probably make the adaptor, but wouldnt the throttle throats still be smaller than the inlet ports?
E30-323ti
Regular

June 2002
Re: Custom Inlet Manifold (4AGTE) Mon, 12 August 2002 03:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What size are the 20v quads?? What about Pulsar GTiR Quads??
I guess this is being done on the cheap (as all the best projects are!!) or there are heaps of places that sell Quad setups but they are around $1000.
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: Custom Inlet Manifold (4AGTE) Mon, 12 August 2002 07:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes but you can get the 20v quads much cheaper than $1k and how hard is it to make up an adaptor plate - 16mm aluminium should do the trick - and be much cheaper than aftermarket too!!!
Rex_Kelway
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Custom Inlet Manifold (4AGTE) Tue, 13 August 2002 01:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The 20 valve throttles are what i was thinking of, just the potential power robbing problem of the throttles being much smaller than the inlet ports.

But ba ha, A problem!

What about the stock ECU's idle control valve?

Unless the 20valve uses the same type of setup?
Rex_Kelway
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Custom Inlet Manifold (4AGTE) Wed, 14 August 2002 05:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No one has any designing type software do they?

Otherwise I'll have to use those rules of thumb.

[Updated on: Wed, 14 August 2002 05:47]

BigWorm
Forums Junkie

Toymods Board Member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Custom Inlet Manifold (4AGTE) Wed, 14 August 2002 09:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Have you read the article by rod on this subject in the articles section?
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: Custom Inlet Manifold (4AGTE) Wed, 14 August 2002 11:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
plenum should be about double engine capacity. runner lenght works on the princable of short for top end and longer for bottom
end power. throttle bodys need to be picked for flow as to big and it will make the car very hard to drive under say 50km\h. best setup is two with a small one and a larger one in a staged formation or one that is perfectly sized. as with most things to do with cars its all a comprmise.
mick
have any questions ask away.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Custom Inlet Manifold (4AGTE) Wed, 14 August 2002 12:16 Go to previous message
Well I'd be tempted to use some mildish cams, headwork, carefully matched turbo and light flywheel etc. with a plenum of about 3.5 litres (purely guesswork!), quad throttles and short runners - show the world that its not only GTRs that can have 'that sound'. Sure its gonna me a bit flat down low, but 5-8500rpm, she'll be sensational. I'd also be tempted to use an AFM with this one on a decent computer (e.g. autronic), as MAP management might be a bit lumpy, and throttle position isn't really any way to map an engine, is it?

Of course thats if you can afford to spend big $ on it! Although remember the other little rule: It may seem like big $ now, but doing it to 'rediculous' lengths will stop you from spending even more later.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Supercharged a 5/6me/ge?
Next Topic:What colour for Mk2?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 15 03:25:33 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0046200752258301 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.