Toymods » Tech & Conversions » OVERHEATING 4K.... OR is it?? *help*

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
punka85
Regular

May 2003
OVERHEATING 4K.... OR is it?? *help* Tue, 27 January 2004 07:46 Go to next message
Hey guys, i just changed from a 3K to a 4K motor in my corolla...

Now the 3K ran cool as my fridge and never had a worry, however within about 10 minutes of slow easy driving on the 4K, the temp guage is almost reading at the top of the guage at hot...

The car itself seems to be running identically, with no hiccups or weird actions from the supposed insane heats.... Infact i cruised around with guage reading near FULL heat for about 40 minutes and it ran beatifully.

Just wondering if its actually hot, or if somethings wrong with the guage or what?

I think when they changed to the 4K engine they may have changed the thermostat thingy over from my old 3K, could this be it?

cheers!! im confuzed!

[Updated on: Tue, 27 January 2004 07:47]

Send a private message to this user    
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: OVERHEATING 4K.... OR is it?? *help* Tue, 27 January 2004 08:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Replace the 4k temperature sensor with your 3k one
The gauges could be configured differently
punka85
Regular

May 2003
Re: OVERHEATING 4K.... OR is it?? *help* Tue, 27 January 2004 08:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Good idea.... so, ummmm, Confused , where is the 4k temperature sensor? Very Happy
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: OVERHEATING 4K.... OR is it?? *help* Tue, 27 January 2004 08:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Somewhere near the thermostat housing
little brass thingy, about 5-8mm wide, inch long, only has one male spade terminal on it
look for the 3k one first, the 4k should be in a similar position
punka85
Regular

May 2003
Re: OVERHEATING 4K.... OR is it?? *help* Tue, 27 January 2004 08:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Now that u mention the thermostat housing....

Where is that, as i always beleived it was contained within the metal pipe at the top of the engine where the TOP radiator hose attached to.

However i removed that pipe, to find it was totally hollow inside, i thought there should be the thermostat in there?

however im thinking from knowledge of rotary engines...

so yeah - where exactly is the thermostat, coz i thought that it may have not been opening and that may be the problem...

cheers.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: OVERHEATING 4K.... OR is it?? *help* Tue, 27 January 2004 08:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Got a pic of the motor?
punka85
Regular

May 2003
Re: OVERHEATING 4K.... OR is it?? *help* Tue, 27 January 2004 09:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alright, pics of my motor are now up at www.pbase.com/punkrolla

Dont worry about the free coolant, thats from when i had a look at the pipe where the top radiator hose connects.

So what do u think could be the problem peeps and how to fix it?

-3k to 4k thermostats?
-3k to 4k senders?
- something else?

cheers.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: OVERHEATING 4K.... OR is it?? *help* Tue, 27 January 2004 12:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
In the middle of the 2nd pic, near where that coolant was spilt, there is a yellow wire sheathed by a black cover, you can see about 2" of the yellow wire.
I think that goes to the temperature sensor
FKN16V
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: OVERHEATING 4K.... OR is it?? *help* Wed, 28 January 2004 02:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
punka85

Does this mean you dont need the 4k motor that i have organised for you.

Steve
alex_ta22
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: OVERHEATING 4K.... OR is it?? *help* Wed, 28 January 2004 05:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i might be interested in that 4k if he doesnt come through
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: OVERHEATING 4K.... OR is it?? *help* Wed, 28 January 2004 05:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wow, that was a really long read!!
sucks to have your IP banned for life!!

as for this overheating thing, it sounds like it's fucked. have you checked compression??

you say you didn't do the changeover yourself??
Quote:

I think when they changed to the 4K engine they may have changed the thermostat thingy over from my old 3K, could this be it?

so who did it?? take it back to them and complain about them being a dodgy business, or if it was a mate, kick his arse.

either you're temp sensor is fucked (the 3K/4K use the same sensor as far as output is concerned) your thermostat is fucked (and if you can't find it, buy a manual for $5 from ebay and frickin find it yourself.. it's not that hard!!!! if it is that hard for you, take the car to a mechanic)

either the 4K is rooted, or something was fucked up when putting it in...
the 4K should not run any hotter than the 3K.

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=27260&rid=1976&S=262e13f23676a68a9983b60 1779a4c2a&pl_view=&start=0#msg_235903
oh, it's you that changed the motor over?? who is this THEY you are referring to??

those bolts are gotten to with a 6" extension bar on a 1/2" drive socket.

FKN16V, i wouldn't hold your breath, check out the other threads.

Cya, Stewart
punka85
Regular

May 2003
Re: OVERHEATING 4K.... OR is it?? *help* Wed, 28 January 2004 07:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I bought the motor 2nd hand, and had it installed by Rod Prime Automotive...

So whos responsible? the place i bought the motor from or the place that installed it?

anyways, someone plz just tell me where the thermostat is, i dont have time to buy something off ebay hehehe

cheers!.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: OVERHEATING 4K.... OR is it?? *help* Wed, 28 January 2004 07:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
could be either then..

if you don't have time, take it to a mechanic. tell them it is overheating and it was fine before the new motro went in.

get them to check compression, check thermostat, check water pump etc.

or, go buy a manual from a shop, that doesn't take long....

or you could google to see what a thermostat looks like.. there is pretty much only one place it can be on your motor.. if you can't see that, i can't be of any more help, sorry Sad
Cya, Stewart
FKN16V
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: OVERHEATING 4K.... OR is it?? *help* Wed, 28 January 2004 11:21 Go to previous message
Nah fuck him Stewart,

He wasnt even decent enough to let me now that he was getting it from somewhere else.

I got this motor all rapped up in plastic and got a pallet to stick it on for the journey too adelaide and now i got nothing.

So FUCK HIM!!!

No wonder all those people are ready too kill him. If i get my hands on him i might just ripe his throat out for being such a fuck.

And know he has problems, no dramas with the motor i have?

Sorry for all the slang but i hate fucks who jerk me around.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:do corolla boss kits fit aw11s?
Next Topic:1990 SX Rolla SECA door pods
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 15 00:10:29 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.074276924133301 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.