Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Tuned length vs log turbo manifolds!?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Necros
Regular

September 2002
Tuned length vs log turbo manifolds!? Tue, 27 January 2004 11:39 Go to next message
Basically wondering what the pros and cons of each are?
  Send a private message to this user    
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Tuned length vs log turbo manifolds!? Tue, 27 January 2004 14:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tuned length = good for power and flow.

Log = cheap/easy to make, more compact.
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: Tuned length vs log turbo manifolds!? Tue, 27 January 2004 18:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
less hot spots in tuned length turbo manifolds vs the good old log style, but, for simplicty "log" cannot be beat.
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Tuned length vs log turbo manifolds!? Tue, 27 January 2004 21:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Freak a log style manifold is spose to be good for up to 350hp. thats plenty for our 4age/gze engines. Smile

10sec_rx7
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: Tuned length vs log turbo manifolds!? Wed, 28 January 2004 22:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just make the runners as short as possible and as direct as possible, with out joining them like the log manafolds,
Rex_Kelway
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Tuned length vs log turbo manifolds!? Thu, 29 January 2004 08:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lets not see things so black and white people. What about that whole grey area of unequal length runner manifolds, which as a conservative estimate accounts for atleast 75% of all custom manifolds.

Some people are way to harsh on log style manifolds. Like most all things shit in = shit out, Eg. Shit design/execution = shit manifold and vice versa. Hence a well designed and crafted log style manifold will do very well indeed.

I know this is very vague, but it is far bigger subject than which style is better or being able to put a specific power value on a specific type of manifold. The arguement must take into account the different designs and executions of log and tuned manifolds on a case by case basis.

[Updated on: Thu, 29 January 2004 08:47]

Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: Tuned length vs log turbo manifolds!? Thu, 29 January 2004 09:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i'm pretty sure of what a log manifold is but can someone show me
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Tuned length vs log turbo manifolds!? Thu, 29 January 2004 13:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Freak this is the log style i made for my 4agte. total cost was $110, $70 of that was getting the faces machined (got ripped there i think) Confused .
works great for me, i can still put my a/c compressor back on too (i miss my a/c) Smile

http://www.members.aol.com/feral4mr2/images/log2.jpg
http://www.members.aol.com/feral4mr2/images/log3.jpg
http://www.members.aol.com/feral4mr2/images/log6.jpg

10sec_rx7
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: Tuned length vs log turbo manifolds!? Thu, 29 January 2004 21:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rex_Kelway wrote on Thu, 29 January 2004 19:45

Lets not see things so black and white people. What about that whole grey area of unequal length runner manifolds, which as a conservative estimate accounts for atleast 75% of all custom manifolds.

Some people are way to harsh on log style manifolds. Like most all things shit in = shit out, Eg. Shit design/execution = shit manifold and vice versa. Hence a well designed and crafted log style manifold will do very well indeed.

I know this is very vague, but it is far bigger subject than which style is better or being able to put a specific power value on a specific type of manifold. The arguement must take into account the different designs and executions of log and tuned manifolds on a case by case basis.

Log manafolds work ok for what they are, if your after a cheap easy power upgrade they are perfect, if your chasing every last bit of power then a divided manafold will work better but at a higher cost!, personally i havent seen a tuned length manafold make any improvments over a non tuned length manafold,
the biggest part of making a manafold is getting the runner size correct, go too big and it will kill the power and spool up,
we have made manafolds for starlets and 4age's that are not tuned length but divided all the way to the turbo and they are all making good power! one starlet is making well over 140kw atw on 16psi, and the 4age is making 186rwhp on 11psi, both have nice size turbos which is also a very critical part.

if any one is in sydney and needs the faces machined let me know my uncle has a head shop and can do all that stuff.

Dale
crazy_camry
Regular

April 2003
Re: Tuned length vs log turbo manifolds!? Fri, 30 January 2004 04:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
where's his shop at, whats it called?
10sec_rx7
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: Tuned length vs log turbo manifolds!? Fri, 30 January 2004 04:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just heads at mt druitt,

if you want to get some done let me know and ill orgainse it
crazy_camry
Regular

April 2003
Re: Tuned length vs log turbo manifolds!? Fri, 30 January 2004 05:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just wanted my stock 3s-gte exhaust manifold cleaned up (from rusty brown to that grey colour) and the faces machined. Mt Druitt is a fair way away from me though. any idea how much this would be?

[Updated on: Fri, 30 January 2004 05:20]

10sec_rx7
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: Tuned length vs log turbo manifolds!? Fri, 30 January 2004 05:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
he said the price will depend on the manafold and weather he can bolt it in the machine,
Necros
Regular

September 2002
Re: Tuned length vs log turbo manifolds!? Sat, 31 January 2004 03:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ive got a Gen II 3S-GTE turbo manifold that has been ported, you can have it for $30pp if you want.
crazy_camry
Regular

April 2003
Re: Tuned length vs log turbo manifolds!? Sat, 31 January 2004 23:57 Go to previous message
PM sent
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:18rgeu rebuild questions
Next Topic:wiring on ST184 to 3sgte
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri May 17 19:19:16 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0051281452178955 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.