Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » how to get a '69 steerin wheel off......

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
da_snuff
Occasional Poster

January 2004
how to get a '69 steerin wheel off...... Tue, 27 January 2004 23:42 Go to next message
righto i may be a bit of a dummy but no matter how much i try i cant figure out how the hell to get the 'bus' steering wheel off my '69 sprinter without breaking it Razz . ive pulled the cap off the horn and thats no good, it just has the metal centre with screws coming through from the opposite side.... do i have to pull the steering colomn cover off or something!? please help someone!! i think its funny i can put together engines but cant get a s/w off lol Very Happy
  Send a private message to this user    
coronamark2
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: how to get a '69 steerin wheel off...... Wed, 28 January 2004 00:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that is very scary if you can cant pull a steering wheel off yet you can work on engines Confused

there should be a nut in the centre of the wheel makes sure theres nothing like a plastic plate or something, if your putting an new steering wheel on you'll need a bosskit
ra23mad
Forums Junkie

September 2003

Re: how to get a '69 steerin wheel off...... Wed, 28 January 2004 02:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
buy a $10.00 steering wheel puller from motormate or something.

Take out your centre nut,

screw in the puller -- tighten it up and hey you got a steering wheel in your lap.

Easy as PIE Smile
da_snuff
Occasional Poster

January 2004
Re: how to get a '69 steerin wheel off...... Wed, 28 January 2004 04:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nar nar nar i dont think i explained myself fully, i have taken off many other s/w's before. this one is totally different and i need someone who has taken one off a similar k1x corolla
hehe i cant even get to the centre nut! i cannot figure out how to get the hornpiece out of the way, i ripped the cover off it and the metal piece which it was stuck to has screws coming out at me, rather than going into the s/w, which leaves using the comon meathod of a screwdriver out of the question!! Very Happy thats my problem Razz
i came up with a solution but that involves a hacksaw which i dont wanna do.... someone help!!!
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: how to get a '69 steerin wheel off...... Wed, 28 January 2004 04:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how about sell me your sprinter and i'll get it off Wink

dman....

well, sicne they are a solid column, you have no worries of stuffing up the collapsible part.

basically you undo the big nut, but only to the point that you have maybe 1mm between the washer and nut... otherwise you will break your nose Razz

pull firmly, but not too firmly on one side of the wheel, while using your hand to whack toward yo on the other side of the wheel..

that usually gets them off... you might need to spray in some penetrating spray if it is the 1st time it's come off tho...

good luck.
Cya, Stewart
midnight
Regular

November 2003
Re: how to get a '69 steerin wheel off...... Wed, 28 January 2004 07:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you dont use a puller put the nut back on a turn or so...

stops u hitting yourself in the head with the wheel when it does come off
da_snuff
Occasional Poster

January 2004
Re: how to get a '69 steerin wheel off...... Wed, 28 January 2004 07:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Very Happy thanks everyone for tryin to help. what i actually need to know is how to get the hornpiece off in the first place so i can get to the centre nut... as soon as i can see that nut ill be homefree, its just not happenin at the moment tho, that hacksaw is looking awefully tempting Surprised
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: how to get a '69 steerin wheel off...... Wed, 28 January 2004 07:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oooooh, right, i thought you'd got that bit off already Wink

oki, there are two bits, one on either side.. if you look thru the gap you will see them

it's basically a bolt headon the wheel, and then a plastic thing that clips over them..

what ya need to do is to basically lever it off... BUT

basically push on top or bottom of the horn pad (lightly, just so it tilts), then stick your finger flesh into the gap that opens... then use thumb to lever up the other side (ie the bottom if your finger is stuck in the top, or vice-versa)

you could also get appropriate sized thing and lever from top and bottom at same time..

be warned tho, if you lever in the middle it may break, just get one side off at a time.

they can be gotten off with finger force....(well, thumb force)

Good luck,
Cya, Stewart

ps, and if you ever want to sell your sprinter Wink lemme know.
da_snuff
Occasional Poster

January 2004
Re: how to get a '69 steerin wheel off...... Wed, 28 January 2004 07:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Very Happy cheers stewart!!! i could see those nuts and was wondering how the hell im sposed to undo them lol, thanks for your help mate! older cars give me the shits sometimes hahaha Laughing
oh yeh and i will pm u if i ever get sick of the sprinter, hopefully i will be able to open the bonnet and gawk at a 13B soon Shocked , its gonna be a mission of a conversion!!
cya
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: how to get a '69 steerin wheel off...... Wed, 28 January 2004 16:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so did it work?? i broke mine off the first time Wink it's abotu the only piece of plastic in the car too Wink

eeeek, don't cut up the trans tunnel!!!

i'll swap you a couple of KE10's for the sprinter!!!

then again, my sprinter plans are not exactly "gentle" either Evil or Very Mad
Cya, Stewart
da_snuff
Occasional Poster

January 2004
Re: how to get a '69 steerin wheel off...... Fri, 30 January 2004 08:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Very Happy yeah i got it off, turns out coz mines a sprinter SL it has a different s/w and horn to a ke15 or the like, it has a circular centre and to get it out you push the horn in completely then turn anti clockwise and it will be launched in the general direction of your face by the spring behind it... i found all this out after getting frustrated and disecting it carefully with pliers and a hacksaw blade, with only having to cut one screw to get it apart after several minutes of manipulation...
thanks anyway!
oh and about the swap for the ke10's......... narrrrrrrr Very Happy
cya, aidan
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: how to get a '69 steerin wheel off...... Fri, 30 January 2004 11:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh right, you didn't say it was an SL Wink
i have a sprinter too, and is an Sl, but the Sl wheel had been taken..
i thought you were referring to the normal wheel... sorry bout that.
Cya, Stewart

oh, and puhleeease Very Happy maybe 3 KE10's??
da_snuff
Occasional Poster

January 2004
Re: how to get a '69 steerin wheel off...... Fri, 30 January 2004 21:34 Go to previous message
no worries mate Very Happy it was my fault for not explainin properly.
as tempting as it is to own 3 ke10's, id rather stick to my lil 'sideways slewing banshee' Evil or Very Mad
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Any1 fabricate 4age engine mounts for ke20's?
Next Topic:Mandrel bend vs Press bend
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 19 17:07:56 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0053939819335938 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.