Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 4AGE Water temps. What's reasonable?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
waynewatson
Regular

May 2003
4AGE Water temps. What's reasonable? Wed, 28 January 2004 23:59 Go to next message
Here's what it is at the moment -

Around town without aircon - about 100*C
Highway without aircon - 110*C
Highway with aircon - nearly 120*C
Track - haven't been out with this gauge, only the stock gauge, which was in the red.

Is this too hot?

My coolant will start boiling at 130 or so. It's definately going to go above 120 on the track. This is what scares me. Last time it didn't boil, but I took it pretty easy because it was getting hot. I don't know what temperature it was because I was still running the factory gauge.

And yes, my gauge is working correctly, i tested it.

So, this is what i figure i can do:
1. Mix more concentrated coolant
2. Find out what's wrong with the system
3. Get some fancy s##t like a duel-core radiator.

EDIT: I've already had my radiator recond. The guy said everything else was fine (thermostat, radiator cap, etc).

[Updated on: Thu, 29 January 2004 00:47]

Send a private message to this user    
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: 4AGE Water temps. What's reasonable? Thu, 29 January 2004 00:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Not sure what normal temp is meant to be - but in the red sounds bad. Adding more concentrated coolant won't help as water is better for cooling than coolant... i suppose the coolant will stop it boiling though. Do a search on the forums, I explained the standard checks i did when I had temp probs on my 4age.
BigWorm
Forums Junkie

Toymods Board Member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 4AGE Water temps. What's reasonable? Thu, 29 January 2004 00:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mine stays around 80-90 degrees, & the thermo fan kicks in around 94, which stops it ever getting any higher. That's with the celica radiuator though, which is much bigger than sprinter ones.
I'd be worried with anything above 100 degrees.
mr_rolla
Occasional Poster

January 2004
Re: 4AGE Water temps. What's reasonable? Thu, 29 January 2004 01:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Have you checked the water pump?
My engine runs cold when on the highway as the radiator is to efficent(i think thats why)

You could also try removing the thermostat and see if that helps.
Are the thermo fans working? Unplug the lead just before the thermostat housing and with the ignition on the fans will work.(watch your fingers Smile )

purpleminiep
Regular

May 2002
Re: 4AGE Water temps. What's reasonable? Thu, 29 January 2004 01:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
check your thermostat. i wouldnt like to be drivig with those temps. 82 deg and you start loosing power. Its pretty amazing you havnt done a gasket or a bearing yet.
The gauge may be dodgy get it checked

Brad
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 4AGE Water temps. What's reasonable? Thu, 29 January 2004 01:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mr_rolla wrote on Thu, 29 January 2004 09:29

My engine runs cold when on the highway as the radiator is to efficent(i think thats why)

I'd suggest putting in a hotter thermostat
You're temp guage should barely move no matter what the driving conditions are (track conditions not included), and it should never go below normal operating temperature
waynewatson
Regular

May 2003
Re: 4AGE Water temps. What's reasonable? Thu, 29 January 2004 01:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The gauge and the fan works. Fan comes on at 90 exactly and off at 83.

Is it possible the thermostat is not opening up properly?
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 4AGE Water temps. What's reasonable? Thu, 29 January 2004 01:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Very possible, take it out, and chuck it in a kettle with a thermometer
Find out when it opens, and when it closes

Thermostats can stuff up after a while, and can also sometimes be stuffed out of the packet
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: 4AGE Water temps. What's reasonable? Thu, 29 January 2004 01:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It could also be your radiator needs a service, this is exactly what happened to the landcruiser, though it got hot around town a little too

but the temp would go up with a/c on on the highway, and would vary somewhat just cruising on the highway, up a hill would go up some, and just sitting would sometimes be happy and sometimes get hot.

turned out the radiator was dead. check your themo. if everything else seems to be ok and the water is circulating (no obvious water pump signs) take your radiator out and get it serviced I reckon...
waynewatson
Regular

May 2003
Re: 4AGE Water temps. What's reasonable? Thu, 29 January 2004 02:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've recently got the radiator done and everything checked (cost me $300 odd, so i'd bloody well hope there's no problem with the radiator.
I changed the waterpump less than a month ago also.
If the thermostat's not opening properly, it would be heating up AND putting pressure on the pump, hence my dead pump. This is my guess. I'm going to replace the thermostat just to be sure. Toyota ones are only $22. And I'll replace the cap too, although there's nothing wrong with it.

I'll have to pick up the parts and do it early saturday morning before sprints. What a pain is the arse.
waynewatson
Regular

May 2003
Re: 4AGE Water temps. What's reasonable? Fri, 30 January 2004 00:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It turned out that the gauge is fucked after less than a month. Now I don't have a proper gauge tomorrow on the track. Replaced thermo and radiator cap anyway. Toyota don't even give you the gasket that the thermo sits in. That's fucked.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 4AGE Water temps. What's reasonable? Fri, 30 January 2004 00:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is it the gauge fucked or is it the sender itself?
waynewatson
Regular

May 2003
Re: 4AGE Water temps. What's reasonable? Fri, 30 January 2004 02:21 Go to previous message
My guess is the sender because the spring in the gauge works (goes down to zero when you turn off ignition). But the temp goes up when it should but doesn't come down when it should or something - as if the sender retains the heat. Then again, it might be the gauge. Who knows.

I can turn the car off for 30min then back on and the gauge will be on 100*C or something fucked up. That's just wrong. I'll take it back and get my money back and get a Greddy or something.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Removing Air-Conditioning
Next Topic:Aftermarket control for 4AGZE SC clutch??
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 5 04:17:52 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0061550140380859 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.