Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » What turbo on 300HP 18RGU EFI????

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
sbyder
Forums Junkie

May 2002
What turbo on 300HP 18RGU EFI???? Sun, 11 August 2002 10:35 Go to next message

I was think'n ball-bearing, maybe GT28, or 25.
I like the sound that they make, and the fact that they spool up faster, but what about T03/4's or the hybrids. And Ct26's???
Would they be able to handle that much power???
I was think'n maybe an external wastegate, but if i don't need one and still get 300 horses @wheels then i'll get one with a big internal. What would be best suited???
In know norbies got a RX-7 turbo to go on his, but would it produce the HP???/would that turbo be worth it???
Options??? Recommendations????Prices???

Thanks
Ben

Send a private message to this user    
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: What turbo on 300HP 18RGU EFI???? Sun, 11 August 2002 10:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Probably not the cheapest of options, butn S15 Silvia turbo would be awesome.
sbyder
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What turbo on 300HP 18RGU EFI???? Sun, 11 August 2002 10:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what the T-25??? How much would they cost???

I don't like the look of them but, too small!!!LOL
I like the look of a big ass turbo, so someone doesn't have to look 4 it in the bay, i want one that sticks out like an igloo in the desert!!LOL Razz Wink

Thanks
Ben
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: What turbo on 300HP 18RGU EFI???? Sun, 11 August 2002 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
S15 Silvia/200SX has a ball-bearing version of T28! They are a really nice turbo for a 2l engine!
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: What turbo on 300HP 18RGU EFI???? Sun, 11 August 2002 13:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I looked at the S15 turbo for my car, $3100 from nissan I think (cant really remember).

For that sort of money you could buy a properly matched GT25 with an external wastegate - and probably crank out a (fair) bit more power as well. I used an RB20 roller bearing turbo on my car, couple of weeks ago it decided it couldn't handle me. I had been running 14psi boost with it, and giving it a regular hiding, it had started to get a bit noisy and smokey, then the turbine did the old ceramic trick and disappeared clean out the tailpipe. I'm replacing it with an RB25 one, mainly because I got it cheap ($200), as well as beefing up my fuel system and getting a bigger intercooler. In time when I can afford it I'd like to use a new GT25/external wastegate, and unleash the monster within. From what I can understand with mine, and others that have done similiar things, the factory nissan turbos are a good thing, so long as you don't push them too far. They don't like overboosting, bad oil or being given a hard spanking on a regular basis, but they will deliver the results if treated with care. If you want to give it a hard time, do what the factory does and tune the engine down suitably. RB20DET from the factory knocks out about 110RWKW, boost it up, bigger exhaust and cooler, tune it, and theres 160RWKW there, but the turbo inevitably fails after a while if its given a bit of a bootful.

All I'm suggesting it to make sure you get something that can handle what you're gonna give it!
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: What turbo on 300HP 18RGU EFI???? Sun, 11 August 2002 13:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Another one to try, if you wanna shell out on a new one, would be the WRX one on this site:
http://www.turboclub.com/ATP/Default.htm
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: What turbo on 300HP 18RGU EFI???? Sun, 11 August 2002 23:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sbyder....

dude im interested at the idea of chucking a small turbo on my 18RGU... so im wondering what you have done/are doing to make yours happen?
im guessing you've done the 18RGEU EFI conversion (or at least the efi manifold) but im considering just chucking on a carby-turbo with my current weber set-up since i already have acess to a turbo (no idea what tho)
crostek
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: What turbo on 300HP 18RGU EFI???? Mon, 12 August 2002 03:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ben
Email me your number and I will give you a ring,
I have a TO3 with T4 compression fan on it making 280 HP and a heap of parts from a TRD race motor I pulled down but don't have the time or the money to rebuild now.
Plus if you are still in need of a w50 gearbox I have two of them, plus a W58 to suit 18RG.

Shane
shane.cross@syd.com.au
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What turbo on 300HP 18RGU EFI???? Mon, 12 August 2002 07:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm using a Series V RX7 turbo on my 18R-GU. It will be good for 250hp as is, and well over 300hp with a TO4 compressor wheel (a popular upgrade for these turbos). If you shop around you can get these things pretty cheap. A high-flowed CT26 would also do the job quite nicely.

Of course a brand new ball-bearing turbo would be better still, but not everyone is made of money!
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: What turbo on 300HP 18RGU EFI???? Mon, 12 August 2002 08:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
norbie,
are you using carbies still or EFI? cos i want to know what i have to do to get my current 18RGU to take a small turbo
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What turbo on 300HP 18RGU EFI???? Mon, 12 August 2002 08:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I converted to factory EFI. That's pretty much all you need to do if you only want to run a small amount of boost.
Celica_RA40
Regular

May 2002
Re: What turbo on 300HP 18RGU EFI???? Mon, 12 August 2002 11:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
when could you expect a T04 to hit "full boost" ( as in produce most of its power) and would there be much lag on an 18R-GEU with a largeish size turbo?

also would injectors have to be upgraded to fit a large turbo and would basicly standard internals handle the amount of boost required to produce 300 HP?? and what sort of boost would be required to ge tthese figures? i know that the 18R-GEU has a relatively low compression ratio to start with so that is a starting point.

[Updated on: Mon, 12 August 2002 12:03]

crostek
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: What turbo on 300HP 18RGU EFI???? Mon, 12 August 2002 21:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Celica_RA40 wrote on Mon, 12 August 2002 9:57 PM

When could you expect a T04 to hit "full boost" (as in produce most of its power) and would there be much lag on an 18R-GEU with a largish size turbo?
TO-4 is to big for street Motor would start working till about 4 grand, the best set up is to use mid size turbo with a high flow compression fan installed. Eg T28 rear end with TO-4 Comp fan. This would spin up quick and make full boost about 2500 RPM.

Exclamation 300hp from stock internals is not possible, mainly head flow restrictions and piston strength, you could try it but it would last about a week. I had a SC12 (4agze blower) on a stock 18RGUE (with 8.7 comp) and it doubled its power on 5 psi, ran forever and was street friendly to drive. Rolling

Shane
sbyder
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What turbo on 300HP 18RGU EFI???? Tue, 13 August 2002 08:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so what would be a good option??
A t-28 with an t-04 compressor?, a CT-26 hi flow, or a RX-7 Series V with T04 compressor???Any others???
I want the best value for money, but i really want to get 11/12second quaters! I'm willing to pay <$800 for the turbo, is that possible or should i save a bit more???

Thanks
Ben
MRTA22
Regular

May 2002
Re: What turbo on 300HP 18RGU EFI???? Tue, 13 August 2002 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mate with 300hp at the flywheel you will be lucky to get a 14 sec 1/4. My car is making around 270hp at the wheels at the moment (on low boost and stock head and cams) and would be lucky to do low 13 with slicks!!! You will be able to build a good reliable 13-14 sec car for alot less than a 12 sec one.
I am currently putting custom inlet,plenum,exhaust manifold,550cc injectors, fully ported head,high lift cams etc on my engine (which is already balanced,blueprinted,has forgies,o-rings,T3/T04 turbo,3in exhaust,Haltech computer,etc)and i will be running 35psi boost when all the above is done.
I am hoping for 350-400 RWHP and this will allow me to do a 10-11 sec 1/4. You have to spend BIG money and lots of time to do sub 12's.
I think for what you want a GT25 or a T28 hi flow will be fine or you can get a T3/T04 and have reserve for the future in case you get the power bug like i did!!!
Also the T3/T04 isnt a laggy turbo as most people think, i get boost at around 3-3500rpm then it pulls all the way to redline. You have to expect lag from a turbo if you want big power. You cant have your cake and eat it too.

Jamie.

[Updated on: Tue, 13 August 2002 09:28]

sbyder
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What turbo on 300HP 18RGU EFI???? Tue, 13 August 2002 09:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm wanting 300HP @ wheels not flywheel!
Yes i know its going to cost a bit of money, but with a custom diff it shouldn't be too hard to get into the 12s with a car that has 300horses at the wheels. I told my mechanic(who knows his stuff) that i want 12s and would like 11's and he said no probs. The motor's just gunna spend a lot of time in the gym getting worked over, and i'm going to have to spend a bit of money on the important stuff.

My ultimate goal is 11's but at the moment 12s is on the agenda!
And once i have the gear ready, i can always upgrade fine tune everything to drop a bit lower.

Thanks
Ben
MRTA22
Regular

May 2002
Re: What turbo on 300HP 18RGU EFI???? Tue, 13 August 2002 10:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
300HP AT WHEELS!!!! Welcome to my world. My advice is whatever part/spec etc someone recommends always go bigger! Also expect to spend big bucks to get that power from 18RGEU. Thats 400odd hp at the flywheel which doesnt come easily or cheap.
You have a bigger engine bay than i do so why not go for a 1G or 1J instead. The overall cost would be similar and the power easier to obtain. I would have gone 1J except my engine bay is too short.

Also expect to pay 2-3K for a turbo good enough to give you 300RWHP!!!!! and have low air temps. Cause you are going to need BIG BOOST!!!!

Jamie.

[Updated on: Tue, 13 August 2002 10:05]

sbyder
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What turbo on 300HP 18RGU EFI???? Tue, 13 August 2002 10:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Easy answer= INSURANCE COSTS and i love a turboed 4!
I don't think i'll be able to insure a twin turbo 6 cylinder in a car with a huge list of mods at my age. If i could it would cost a sh^t load. Apart from that i want a 4. I don't want an 8 either!
And i love the sound of a turbo.
13's is pretty common, but a 12second pass is my goal i've set.

Thanks
Ben
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What turbo on 300HP 18RGU EFI???? Tue, 13 August 2002 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
According to my ET calculator, an ~1100kg car with 300 flywheel horsepower should get into the 12's, given a perfect run. I have no idea where you got that 14 second figure from!

A stock MA71 with an exhaust and boost (approx 300hp) will run low 14's easy (a friend of mine actually did a high 13), so if you can't do better than that in a ~500kg lighter car there's something very wrong...
sbyder
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What turbo on 300HP 18RGU EFI???? Tue, 13 August 2002 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Insurance!
don't think i could insure a twin turbo six at my age and with as much mods of got/gunna get. I don't want an 8 either. I love the sound of a purring turbo 4!
Thanks
Ben
MRTA22
Regular

May 2002
Re: What turbo on 300HP 18RGU EFI???? Tue, 13 August 2002 10:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah there's nothing like an engine making over 100hp per cylinder!!! Insurance companies would probly charge the same wether it was a turbo 4 or turbo 6, its the turbo part that adds to the price!! If you did go say a 1J with a big turbo,exh,computer,intercooler, you will have your 300atw and the money saved from building a full house 18RG will pay your insurance almost!. But if you are set with a 4 cyl then i wish you good luck and if you ever need any help feel free to give me a yell. Even though i have a 3TGTEU they are still both Toyota 4 Cyl's and same basics apply.

Jamie.
sbyder
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What turbo on 300HP 18RGU EFI???? Tue, 13 August 2002 10:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks i will do

Ben

PS- what turbo then???T03/4?
MRTA22
Regular

May 2002
Re: What turbo on 300HP 18RGU EFI???? Tue, 13 August 2002 10:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie, my engine is making just over 300hp at the flywheel at the moment and i dont think it will do a 12!! It weighs 1040kg.
ET calculators dont take into account shitty traction, slow gearchanges etc. Unless you get a perfect run a high 13 is what you would expect to achieve from a 300 flywheel hp car. WRX's for instance have 4wd and just under 300hp with exhaust and extra boost and most do 13's!!
You will never know till you run it yourself though.

Jamie.
MRTA22
Regular

May 2002
Re: What turbo on 300HP 18RGU EFI???? Tue, 13 August 2002 10:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ben, i recommend a T3/T4 as they are alot cheaper than the newer ball bearing units and can be rebuilt easier and cheaper.
You will be able to get a new one for just under 2K and they are internal wastgate so you save $600 there. If you want i can email you the specs of mine as they will be similar to what you will need. Mine flows max 575HP.

Jamie.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What turbo on 300HP 18RGU EFI???? Tue, 13 August 2002 13:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I know a 300hp RA28 isn't likely to do a mid 12 (even though it has the potential to do so), but it's definitely going to do a LOT better than a high 14!

Like I said before, a friend of mine did a high 13 in a stock MA71 Supra, and that's with normal street tyres and an auto transmission! Another friend of mine ran 11's in his series 3 RX7 with street tyres (he now does 10's on slicks). The point being, a properly sorted car with decent quality tyres should be able to get most of that power down and cut a very quick time.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: What turbo on 300HP 18RGU EFI???? Tue, 13 August 2002 13:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If a S15 200SX which weighs 1280kg can do a 14.5 with only ~200hp then 300hp in a 1300kg car should do a lot better than that...
TurboRG
Regular

June 2002
Re: What turbo on 300HP 18RGU EFI???? Tue, 13 August 2002 16:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Do you that if you use a Tall rearend gear(something like
5.2) and a Taller tire diameter (like 28 inchs)
It would take Less power to get you where you want...

here is my plan.
71 celica 2200lbs(with me in the car)
Turbo RG
Over bored to 90mm
stock stroke
stock cams
forged 20R pistons(compression 9 to 1)
CT26 supra turbo high flow
The biggest air to water intercooler I can get in the car
5 Speed trans
9 Inch frod rearend with 5.2 gears
with 15/28/9 slicks
That should get me Deep in the 12's with
some GOOD DRIVING
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What turbo on 300HP 18RGU EFI???? Tue, 13 August 2002 23:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Technically a 5.2:1 ratio is shorter, not taller. Smile

You may find this will help you launch better, but you're probably better off starting with more normal gearing (eg 4.1:1) and see how that works for you. Chances are you will already get heaps of wheelspin off the line with a turbo 18R-G, so moving to shorter gearing will only make it worse!

A turbo 18R-G shouldn't have any problem getting into the 12's, provided it can get the traction. Big drag slicks soft rear suspension should do it.
MRTA22
Regular

May 2002
Re: What turbo on 300HP 18RGU EFI???? Wed, 14 August 2002 09:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie i said 13-14 1/4 and that was when i thought he was after 300HP at the flywheel not the wheels. With 300 ATW i agree a high 12 would be pretty easy given a perfect run.

Jamie.
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: What turbo on 300HP 18RGU EFI???? Wed, 14 August 2002 11:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sbyder i have a new high flow turbo sitting at the workshop with a .64 exhast that flows 400hp that would be perfect! yours for $1000.mick
sbyder
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What turbo on 300HP 18RGU EFI???? Wed, 14 August 2002 12:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't have the cash for a turbo yet, but could arrange it in a couple of months. What type is it/how good is it? got any pics??

Thanks
Ben
sbyder
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What turbo on 300HP 18RGU EFI???? Thu, 15 August 2002 08:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
More info plz!

Thanks
Ben
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: What turbo on 300HP 18RGU EFI???? Thu, 15 August 2002 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
t3 with all the new fittings still in bags. i make my manifolds out of stainless and then jet coat it, but have all the steam bends to make a manifold if someone is so inclined. ill throw it in with the turbo.
mick
sbyder
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What turbo on 300HP 18RGU EFI???? Thu, 15 August 2002 09:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm very interested!!!, the prob is i can't buy it till the end of next month. Would u be able to hold it for me???I will buy it if u can wait!

Did u say u have the manifold for an RG?

Any more info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Ben
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: What turbo on 300HP 18RGU EFI???? Thu, 15 August 2002 22:02 Go to previous message
its yours if i still have it but needto get rid of it soon to pay for other things on the car.
mick
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Help! 1G specs needed
Next Topic:Help, Sprinter bolt-on front brake kits???
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 8 11:38:29 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0087320804595947 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.