Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
kohoy
Regular

January 2004

AE86 suspension mod Wed, 28 January 2004 23:12 Go to next message
Hey guys.. I've got a set of adjustable shock with lows kingspring setup in my car now... what should I go next for handling? Strut brace, rear strut brace, Front sway bar, rear sway bar, ALK, camber bolt kit.. etc.. which are neccessary and which are not.. and which should go first?

For wheel alignment... should I setup my front wheel like this -> "/ \" what setup is better if I wanna do some drifting? I've seen some guys doing this.. but not sure if it's goo to do so..

[Updated on: Wed, 28 January 2004 23:15]

Send a private message to this user    
FKN16V
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: AE86 suspension mod Thu, 29 January 2004 04:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
while im not experienced in this sort of thing i would imagine that a decent front sway bar would be next.

Keep the front nice and tight while keeping the rear a little loose, would probably make drifting easier.

just a thought.

Steve
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AE86 suspension mod Thu, 29 January 2004 04:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
He said he wanted "handling", what makes you think he wants to set it up to drift (ie intentionally unbalanced handling)?

Besides, you got it backwards... you want a stiff rear end and a relatively soft front end for drift. The setup you proposed will induce understeer.
FKN16V
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: AE86 suspension mod Thu, 29 January 2004 05:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You are right "norbie", i got it backwards.

But if you read the post properly he also asked what is best if he wanted to do some drifting.

But you were right, i was back to front.

Steve
kohoy
Regular

January 2004

Re: AE86 suspension mod Thu, 29 January 2004 05:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks guys.. and yes I want to know what's best mod to do so i can have a car setup for good handling then I can do some simple setting to make it better for drift when I want to... any idea?
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AE86 suspension mod Thu, 29 January 2004 06:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I may be wrong, but I think you'll find a good road holding, good handling car wont be real good for drift. Same goes for a good drift car wont be real good for road holding.

If you want both, probably best to make sure swaybars, suspension, etc is all adjustable.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AE86 suspension mod Thu, 29 January 2004 06:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Spot on - you can't have it both ways.

Good idea with the adjustable suspension though, this will give you a decent compromise. Just having adjustable swaybars will help a lot - you can set it up for optimal handling, then when you're in the mood for some sik dorifto action, make the front bar softer and the rear bar as stiff as possible.
Youngy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AE86 suspension mod Thu, 29 January 2004 07:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Speaking of which Whiteline will make you an adjustable front sway bar. Not sure if you can get them off th shelf from Whiteline (you couldn't when I got mine). But they will pretty much manufacture anything you want - without you having to sell any body parts!
c2888
Regular

May 2002

Re: AE86 suspension mod Thu, 29 January 2004 07:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think handling is very important to those wishing to drift their cars. A big rear bar is going to get your car to oversteer, but by itself it will be a very twitchy thing to drive indeed.

I think many people confuse handling with steering response. Drifting is not a setting you can dial up and the car will hang the ass out smoothly. Watch some amatuer drift action from japan and you will see that alot of people can pay to play, but don't have skill to do it. These are dedicated workshop setup cars. Japans demolishion derbies if you like. Smile

I think to drift you need exceptional skills which a handfull of people are born with(unfortunately i wasn't), which can only be gained by practice and more practice.

If you like the feeling of the ass sliding about, drive a forklift. Very Happy

Seriously, a bunch of the Vic toymodders want to do a skid pan day. http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=26674&start=0&rid=367&S=1a163d542ab1 b52d0dedf2b989124cdd
come get some skills

dodgydan
TerryOBeirne
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AE86 suspension mod Thu, 29 January 2004 20:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
any lowering should be accompanied by lowering of the bottom wishbone to correct roll centre angles and bump steer. basically, you want to get the bottom wishbone and the sterring arms, exactly back to the angle where Toyota had it. A number of peopple market 'roll centre correction blocks. these bolt between the bottom wishbone and the bottom of the strut. As a guide only, we have 15mm ones on our Sprint race car (TE72-GT)and 28mm ones on our outright race car (Gp A , AE86).
TRUENOAE86
Occasional Poster

May 2002
Re: AE86 suspension mod Thu, 29 January 2004 22:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Would anyone happen to have a picture of the correct angles the lower control arms are meant to be at.
Mine currently sit dead flat to the ground.

Jason
purpleminiep
Regular

May 2002
Re: AE86 suspension mod Fri, 30 January 2004 06:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The factory hight for the centre inner lower arm is 237mm. Measure you height and the difference i guess would be the optimum height of rca's if you want it back to factory dimensions.

Brad
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AE86 suspension mod Sat, 31 January 2004 15:47 Go to previous message
I think a more accurate method would be to compare the height of your new springs, installed in the car, compared to the stock springs. If the difference is X mm, you need a RCA which is X mm thick.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:wiring on ST184 to 3sgte
Next Topic:good tyres and how much
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 4 22:01:08 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0046169757843018 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.