Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » st184 handling??

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
NuGeN
Regular

April 2003
st184 handling?? Fri, 30 January 2004 12:17 Go to next message
How do st184 celica's handle??

My friend always tells me stories of how he keeps getting oversteer in his, and for a while there I thought he was just talking crap. I sat in his car and he showed me what he ment and I felt it in his passenger seat. His rear wheels lost traction without him touching the handbrake! It occurs when going above 60 and turning pretty sharply. My friend says he's used to it and he just countersteers it whenever it happens.

So what can be causing the rear wheels to lose traction in a front wheel drive car?
How can it be prevented?
Is the car intentionally set up like so? or is it a suspension problem?
  Send a private message to this user    
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: st184 handling?? Fri, 30 January 2004 21:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if they are anything like the gt4 of the same year the rear swaybar is Much too small ..

Upgrade this for starters - i know it improved the rear feel of mine ( gt4 ) 100%

Outside of that - decent tyres could help
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: st184 handling?? Sat, 31 January 2004 02:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what tyres does he have ? im running good year gs-d2's and find that your have to do something pretty insane before that back end really starts talking to you. i find it gives a fairly controlled understeer.
NuGeN
Regular

April 2003
Re: st184 handling?? Sat, 31 January 2004 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Not sure what tyres he has but tread is like new at the rear and fronts are slightly more worn. The tyres are on the standard 14x6 alloys.

What happens when you upgrade to a thicker rear sway bar?? More rear wheel feedback? Less understeer?
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: st184 handling?? Sun, 01 February 2004 02:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes and yes to both - re swaybar ..

firms it up alot more too ..

thats going from what i feel in the gt4
SXY184
Regular

January 2004
Re: st184 handling?? Sun, 01 February 2004 08:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My 184 handled like a wheel barrow till i lowered it , then it only improved it a touch , but as the other guys are sayin a rear sway bar will improve it 50% for sure! then maybe get a rear strut brace , and maybe a front sway bar ,or jus go all out and get adjustables, with tops , and yeah , ya will out handle a commonwhore, and maybe even a WRX!! it can be done !!
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: st184 handling?? Sun, 01 February 2004 08:56 Go to previous message
Unlikely that it would outhandle a WRX but commodores yes ..

sounds to me the back tyres arent having a chance to even grip - maybe lifting or rollioing too much in the back end - or they are not good tyres for the car ..

As a side note the prevous model - the st162 is hailed as one of the finest handling front wheelers out there , the st184 gained weight on this but the principlas are still there ..

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:gtir t28 on a gze?
Next Topic:3sge JDM questions!!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 11 21:43:52 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0043439865112305 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.