Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Track Talk » What are my chances? (84 cordia turbo Vs 90 SECA SX)

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
doobs
Regular

September 2003
What are my chances? (84 cordia turbo Vs 90 SECA SX) Tue, 27 January 2004 22:42 Go to next message
Ey all,

This race is inevitable, my mate has a 84 cordia turbo, which makes about 110kw. It is standard and has no mods.

I have a 1990 SECA SX, stock standard, with the 4age, 100kw (as you would all know).

I'm pretty sure hes gonna win, but having never drove the corolla hard (I have just brought it, only test drove it) I’m unsure of its potential. I’m also (IMO and a most of my mates) a better manual drive than him, so may be that will help me.

So what do you rekon?
  Send a private message to this user    
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: What are my chances? (84 cordia turbo Vs 90 SECA SX) Tue, 27 January 2004 23:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you're better at launching than him (whch I'd practice) you should win

one of my stock ma61s breat my brother's modded starion by half a length - this is a starion with exhaust, a/m computer, pod filter, mpfi, bov, boost controller - simply because he launched it like you'd launch a V8, not a turbo 4
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: What are my chances? (84 cordia turbo Vs 90 SECA SX) Wed, 28 January 2004 07:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what exactly are the differences in launching styles.

i have had more success in launching from slightly lower revvs than I would instinctively go for to maximise traction, rather than slipping and just loosing the plot spinning on the spot.. .Smile But I am not sure if that is the most 'appropriate' strategy for a 4cyl fwd
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: What are my chances? (84 cordia turbo Vs 90 SECA SX) Wed, 28 January 2004 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Damn Greg, my old Starion would've made a mess of any 5ME Supra I've driven, and that was only with a fresh engine and a 2.5" exhaust.
truenosedan
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: What are my chances? (84 cordia turbo Vs 90 SECA SX) Wed, 28 January 2004 13:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
id say you would win, but the turbo adds a fair bit of torque, should be a good race
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: What are my chances? (84 cordia turbo Vs 90 SECA SX) Wed, 28 January 2004 13:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I find a good one (atleast, when you have 60kw!! Rolling Eyes ) is to hold the handbreak, and just let the clutch slip. I get a nice launch like that as the tires are allready trying to pull (or something).

Anyway, this may be totaly useless in a car that actualy has any sort of power figures.
binny
Regular

March 2003
Re: What are my chances? (84 cordia turbo Vs 90 SECA SX) Thu, 29 January 2004 09:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Having owned both, the cordia will win easily if it is running the way it should. Even though it only has 10kw more on paper, it has a buckload more torque when it comes on boost and is a little bit lighter. There is also no way of telling if the cordia is stock or not. It only takes 5 min to adjust the standard wastegate setting to a higher boost. They can be adjusted up to 10psi safely without having to fit an intercooler. Having said that, a lot of them are in poor condition now because of age, so it all depends on the condition of the one you are talking about.
Binny
ra23mad
Forums Junkie

September 2003

Re: What are my chances? (84 cordia turbo Vs 90 SECA SX) Fri, 30 January 2004 13:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm not to sure a cordia would beat you....

I flogged one on a rolling start in the ra23 (with 18rg) left the other car far behind...
4AG_Pat
Newcomer

January 2004
Re: What are my chances? (84 cordia turbo Vs 90 SECA SX) Tue, 03 February 2004 22:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cordias are pretty hard to launch well tho...
They had a fairly big turbo and were hard to get going but are quick from 60-70 km/h onwards.
It all depends. If your mate can't launch for sh!t and the cordia is in crap condition then you should win.
SetMeFree
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: What are my chances? (84 cordia turbo Vs 90 SECA SX) Tue, 03 February 2004 23:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well my money is on the cordia ive owned both these cars and the cordia went harder by far only mods done to it was a canon thingy exhaust and a BOV
Ribbo
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: What are my chances? (84 cordia turbo Vs 90 SECA SX) Wed, 11 February 2004 21:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I drove a cordia once and was very disapointed in the power, didn't think it had any more go than my old ae82 twincam.

But as has been said the condition of them probably plays a big part
smt_007
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: What are my chances? (84 cordia turbo Vs 90 SECA SX) Sun, 15 February 2004 10:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think you have chance if u launch better, i drove a cordia turbo with a 2L Dash motor conversion, and i was still disapointed with how it went for a turbo car.
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: What are my chances? (84 cordia turbo Vs 90 SECA SX) Sun, 15 February 2004 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm still waiting for others to put their 2c in on how to launch.
twincam_ke20
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: What are my chances? (84 cordia turbo Vs 90 SECA SX) Mon, 16 February 2004 11:05 Go to previous message
when i had my old ae82 4age, my mate had stock cordia turbo and if i didn't stuff the launch, id beat him by about 1-2 car lengths over about 2-300m.

as for launching, the way i did it, was just get the revs to about 3000rpm so i don't bog down to much, then just slip the clutch a bit, sorta like ya riding the clutch but once ya get a little speed just release the clutch and floor it Very Happy
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:I acquired a new Job!!! Pretty funny....
Next Topic:White JDM AE86 Trueno vs Black Riced EG Civic
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 6 21:17:33 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0056459903717041 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.