Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » What do people think of the new Camry Sportivo?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
rob-ae86
Regular

November 2002
Re: What do people think of the new Camry Sportivo? Sat, 03 January 2004 05:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the supra is ok

the side looks nice
i can deal with the back
but i relly dont like the front at all YUCK
  Send a private message to this user    
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: What do people think of the new Camry Sportivo? Sat, 03 January 2004 06:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sir_ae86 wrote on Sat, 03 January 2004 16:49

the supra is ok

the side looks nice
i can deal with the back
but i relly dont like the front at all YUCK

I agree. The front end is juck icky. But I think the side profile is rather nice. Although, I would prefer the smoother curves of the JZA80.

P.S. If this is anything to go by it looks like it's going to be a V6 or V8 design.

[Updated on: Sat, 03 January 2004 06:08]

justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: What do people think of the new Camry Sportivo? Sat, 03 January 2004 09:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's bull, photochopped Mk4.

As for the alloy block being weaker it technically is, but the UZ engines have strong blocks for an alloy one.
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: What do people think of the new Camry Sportivo? Sat, 03 January 2004 11:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well it's obviously an artists concept design. If done by Toyota or someone else.
ra23mad
Forums Junkie

September 2003

Re: What do people think of the new Camry Sportivo? Sun, 04 January 2004 12:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
boy did I open a can of worms here Smile

most of the opinions match what I initially thought - family car comparable to holden / ford.

The whole lack of performance cars locally produced for under $45000 causes problems for me -

I looked at a new celica and yeh thats great but for the price tag *when I looked $46000 plus on roads* I can't justify it not when I can bring in a JZA80 RZ for $30000 with mods from here to the westcoast...

I like the look of the new camry, its got a bit of style that other family cars don't and thought it had some potential - as a 'commodore' beater - in the sense of the word:

family daily driver.

I see a lot of potential there - but not really in the same light that I see a lot of potential as hauling arse in a celica or (more preffered) a supra.

I think its one of those things you either love them or hate them Smile

not having driven one - I think it would be cool for a daily driver - nice interior, nice exterior get a few looks here and there with enough power to feel happy driving, as a sports car - hell no - not even on the same page.

anyway that's my two cents Smile

Apollo
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What do people think of the new Camry Sportivo? Tue, 06 January 2004 07:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nark wrote on Fri, 02 January 2004 00:27

I bet you that if you list any changes that a WRX has, you'll find that an HSV will have that change too.
And since when were we talking about STis? With the amount of engineering poured into them, they'd better hope that they can overcome their humble beginnings.

The STI is the only one worth talking about. Wink

Quote:

You should talk to a WRX owner one day and find out what it's like to drive the same car as half the "fully siik" community. 'Coz it's faster than the cops bro.

If only you were in brisbane I'd introduce you to my mate that owns a 225kw my03 sti. He chose the sti from either a commodore hsv or a lexus is300 (or 200, whatever the hell it is). He made the choice of the STI because it came standard exactly how he wanted a car. (Suspension, brakes, seats, you name it). And he has always had a high expectation being a (now ex) rally driver. And he's far from the bling type of person that you're used to. Wink You need to get out of nsw man. Very Happy

Quote:

Have you ever driven a WRX? And I mean driven, hard.

Nope, but been demonstrated by a real driver what it can do. And the things that car can do would send a non-awd spinning off the road. Damn it sticks. Smile

I should ask you though, that you know that I personally wouldn't buy one while there are soarers and jza80's out there for me to buy instead?

Quote:

From this, I'm guessing that the brand of car your drive is more important that the car itself.

It's like me saying I wouldn't buy a Mitsubishi because there's owners who try to turn base model Lancers into EVO.

Oh no, I think the Pajero is a great car and there's nothing wrong with it....it's just that its a Mitsubishi.....

Yes and no. Brand is important, but I wouldn't go out and buy a new celica. It just happens that toyota makes soarers and mk4 supras. Razz

As for pajero, nope. I'd rather a cruiser. And the fact that I'd never buy a mitsubishi. Eww, what am I saying. The real fact is I'd never buy a 4wd no matter who made it.

I could make your argument but place hyundai cars in there, but I doubt you'd go out and buy a getz because they are a nice cheap car for what they are. Wink But for what they cost, why wouldn't you buy a gt4 instead?

[Updated on: Tue, 06 January 2004 07:06]

Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: What do people think of the new Camry Sportivo? Tue, 06 January 2004 11:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mitsubishi EVO III to EVO VI are great and the Gallant VR4 is cool. I dunno how strong the engines are, but they can go.

Apparently WRXs are the lords of understeer.
Billy-Mason PI
Regular

July 2003
Re: What do people think of the new Camry Sportivo? Tue, 06 January 2004 20:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EVO III Very Happy

Bye Bye HSV..... Twisted Evil
Caledwvech
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: What do people think of the new Camry Sportivo? Tue, 06 January 2004 21:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Read a review of the EVO III coming out later this year. Apparently they said you cannot even compare it to the WRX any more it's that much superiour.
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: What do people think of the new Camry Sportivo? Tue, 06 January 2004 22:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Apollo, I was talking about the standard WRX, not the STi. Why would I compare 200SXs, MX-5s and Integras to an STi?

The STi is a bloody great car, there's not much Imprezza left in that thing apart from the shell... But there are many competitors that I'd buy before it like the 350Z, EvoVIII, and Elise. Not that I've driven any of them to be able to comment properly.
Camry_omega
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: What do people think of the new Camry Sportivo? Sat, 10 January 2004 01:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I like the new Camry Sportivo for what it is. Not a "performance car" but a nice looking Camry, that handles better than the stock version.
I think that even if Toyota was to make a new Supra there is a very slim chance of it being imported to Australia.
Why??
Because there isn't much of a market for it. If people want to buy a "sports car" they are most likley to go towards a HSV or FPV vehicle, because that's what popular in Australia. The popularity of these cars being helped by the V8 Supercars series.
It might sound odd but there is more chances of Toyota making a V8 camry for Australia, than them importing a Chaser or designing a "performance" Celica (i.e we aren't going to see either)
P.S Despite the apprent lack of performace cars Toyota was the number one selling make of car in 2003.
go_the_cam
Newcomer

December 2003
Re: What do people think of the new Camry Sportivo? Sat, 31 January 2004 09:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
peoples dont you see what is happening??? its the same thing that has happened to our parents, and their parents adn so on.

the car of our generation are fading into the past and the new generation is born.

consider there was the old skool monaro and then now we have the new monaro.

its evolution baby!!!!

personally i think the camry sportivo looks great...it just needs its balls to drop.
go_the_cam
Newcomer

December 2003
Re: What do people think of the new Camry Sportivo? Sat, 31 January 2004 09:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Caledwvech wrote on Wed, 07 January 2004 08:37

Read a review of the EVO III coming out later this year. Apparently they said you cannot even compare it to the WRX any more it's that much superiour.

evo III??? i believe they released that a while ago Razz
regardless, the only reviews i have read give praise to the WRX over the EVO.

and i would tend to believe that these reviews are accurate
Camry_omega
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: What do people think of the new Camry Sportivo? Sun, 01 February 2004 06:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think he means evo VIII.
Evil_Foetus
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: What do people think of the new Camry Sportivo? Mon, 02 February 2004 02:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmmm... i still like my idea.

bring the celica back as a 4wd turbo option only... no automatics - ah-uh.

and bring back the supra... a big fat one, like the mk4... with a turbo'ed 6 or 8. and no automatics.

let me design the new toyotas. Evil or Very Mad
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: What do people think of the new Camry Sportivo? Mon, 02 February 2004 03:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Automatics are good but... did I just say that? What is happening to me?!
Yes, there needs to be an Auto option otherwise they wont make nearly enough sales, especialy to the rich idiots who have no idea.
Camry_omega
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: What do people think of the new Camry Sportivo? Mon, 02 February 2004 06:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah the vast bulk of sales theses days are autos.
IF toyota make a new Supra it should have a 6 speed clutchless manual transmission, the tech is there (citroen use it). Besides a Supra with F1-style paddle shifters would be cool
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon2.gif  Re: What do people think of the new Camry Sportivo? Mon, 02 February 2004 21:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Camry_omega wrote on Mon, 02 February 2004 17:57

IF toyota make a new Supra it should have a 6 speed clutchless manual transmission, the tech is there (citroen use it).

Err... So does the current MR2.

Personally, it's one of the reasons why I wouldn't consider an Australian-delivered MR2, 'coz it's the only configuration you can buy it in. I need three pedals in my cars.
Camry_omega
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: What do people think of the new Camry Sportivo? Tue, 03 February 2004 06:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh ok i didn't know that.
Just a question is there any performance advantage/disadvantage between clutchless and cluch manuals.
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: What do people think of the new Camry Sportivo? Tue, 03 February 2004 08:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, there is a clutch... Just no clutch pedal. The clutch is controlled by the computer.

On the face of it, the semi-manual would shift faster and more accurately. You also don't need to heel-toe into corners.

But then again, where's the fun in that?! Smile
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: What do people think of the new Camry Sportivo? Wed, 04 February 2004 09:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You *need* three pedals? Why? People on motoring shows bitch and bitch about them, yet they are faster, allow you to concentrate on your driving and they are starting to work really well...
Intensevil
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: What do people think of the new Camry Sportivo? Wed, 04 February 2004 09:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Clutch control is as much an important bit about car driving as steering. Wheres teh fun in having no clutch, its a necesery control component of a car
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: What do people think of the new Camry Sportivo? Wed, 04 February 2004 09:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
In what way are you referring to?
Intensevil
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: What do people think of the new Camry Sportivo? Wed, 04 February 2004 10:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
In regaurds to accelerating a car, controlling a car at low speeds.
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: What do people think of the new Camry Sportivo? Wed, 04 February 2004 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Wed, 04 February 2004 20:29

You *need* three pedals? Why?

Nark wrote on Tue, 03 February 2004 19:46

where's the fun in that?!

Here's an analogy.

Given same weight, same suspension, same power, what would you take on a windy dirt road? A FWD or a RWD?

Knowing that the FWD will have more weight over its driven wheels and will therefore be faster. Would you take it?

Or would you rather be slower but have a grin from ear to ear as you throttle steer the car through the apexes?

One day, cars will drive themselves. They'll always take the perfect line at the maximum speed and will cream any other human driver out there. But would you want to sit in that?

So what if the semi-manual can heel-toe perfectly? So what if it can change gears in 0.25s? Anyone can step on a pedal and turn a wheel, the real challenge is to use all three pedals at the same time with one hand on the steering wheel and one hand on the gear knob. That's driving.
StuC
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: What do people think of the new Camry Sportivo? Wed, 04 February 2004 13:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
To answer ur original question, i absolutely love the new camry sportivo. Okay, its not exactly a sports car but it does go really hard. My mates dad gets a new toyota company car every 2 months so they all get thrashed to the shitter, and i tell u what, the 1muz or whatever in it has heaps of low down torque and it revs out quite nicely too. gettin the wheels to spin and keep spinnin is easy as pie so there has to be a fair bit of power behind em. Also with the new celicas, they do have peak power just a little too high up the rev range, even for a twinky but they have no probs runnin round on high revs. Also, in all of the new toyotas on the market, id have to say that i have never been in a car which is quite as smooth and comfortable as standard - even comparing the avalon to an AMG merc.

Just my 2c
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: What do people think of the new Camry Sportivo? Wed, 04 February 2004 23:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Intensevil wrote on Wed, 04 February 2004 18:42

In regaurds to accelerating a car, controlling a car at low speeds.

I think you'll find a good semi-automatic will do that very well. There are definetly bad ones, but a good one can do those well.

I see what you're saying Nark, I just from my perspective find any more excitement from having a clutch, as long as I'm in control of the gears, I'm happy Very Happy
Billy-Mason PI
Regular

July 2003
Re: What do people think of the new Camry Sportivo? Thu, 05 February 2004 00:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Your Dad gets a new car every 2 months?

Far out thats awesome. Surprised

I like the camry sportivos but the general styling of the camry is completely out of proportion. The front looks sweet (i think one of the best looking faces toyota has styled), but the arse is way to wide, and the wheels are too small when looking at it side on, and the back needs to be lowered slightly. It has similar styling to a wedged door stop Razz

On another note: When they came out, motoring writers thought that the 4 cyl sportivo was more fun in manual form and doesnt loose much in the way of driveability, so it wasnt worth spending like $8,000 more for the V6, unless you were after a lil more smoothness. Cool
StuC
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: What do people think of the new Camry Sportivo? Thu, 05 February 2004 07:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no my dad, my mates dad. But yeah, they dont look like the best car on the road but as i always say, looks arent always everything..In fact, most cars that look good round my area are tarted up pieces of shit which can be outgunned by any half decent standard car, ie: mine Very Happy
Camry_omega
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: What do people think of the new Camry Sportivo? Thu, 05 February 2004 10:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah the back end was a bit of a disapointment on the curent camry, especialy the tail light, i like the gen 4's small tail lights alot more.
I think the engine should be tuned somewhat from the stock engine tho, (corolla sportivo), or a new engine (possibly the 3.3 from the kluger)
As for the clutch-manual thing, don't F1 cars have paddle shifters? (im not sure about a clutch pedal), but because they car keep both hands on the wheel has that taken something away from the skill of motor racing. With every new technogy that distances us, also gives us better performance, efficency and saftey, its a double edged sword.
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: What do people think of the new Camry Sportivo? Thu, 05 February 2004 11:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
From my (very unreliable) memory, the clutches on F1 cars were only used during the start and they were hand operated.
The gearboxes were sequential and they just banged them through the gears...
Camry_omega
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: What do people think of the new Camry Sportivo? Fri, 06 February 2004 10:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool, i like F1 cars
Apophis
Occasional Poster

January 2004

icon13.gif  Re: What do people think of the new Camry Sportivo? Sat, 07 February 2004 00:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Man The new toyotas are shocking. All they worry about is passenger comfort and stuff like that. The new camry looks like a boat on wheels. The 2.4L sportivo is a disgrace! Well with the corollas. Man the 4AGE produced 100kw from a 1.6L but the new 1.8L VVTi (I bet environmentally friendly regulated government leashed engine) produced the same amount of power, oh not to talk about the lack of low end torque. My dads corolla wagon is like a matchbox with 4 wheels too. I personally reckon the 4AC corolla rev smoother than the new engines. Laughing

But the corolla Sportivo rips! Although the whole sportivo body kit is nothing special.

AH and i hate the echo's looks in general. What gives them the idea of flying Ass? Why do they jack the ass up so high, so people can laugh at the torsion beam and their pee wee exhaust.

woo hoo pay 19990 for a echo sportivo which only has mags and a body kit.....and still they did nothing to their flying Ass!

man....i got nothing else to say. Too disgusted by the jacked up ass thing. Confused
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: What do people think of the new Camry Sportivo? Sat, 07 February 2004 03:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
6 speed Manual sequential with automatic clutch and clutch pedal? The clutch pedal would just override the automatic clutch. Although, if you forget to clutch in, the computer would still do it regardless? I would enjoy that. Very Happy

And there would have to be a 5 speed tipronic Auto option. They just wouldn't get their sales up otherwise. But like I have said, they should make the two gearboxes with a very similar shape and same mounting bolts, so that if you want the 6 Speed put in after market, it's dead easy to do. Very Happy

I wanna know what the big front wheel drive "sports car" thing is about. Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't front wheel drives tend to suck ass on the track? A front wheel drive vs. a rear wheel drive, both with similar suspension setups, both 50/50 1500kg, both 200kw at the flywheel on a track will see the front wheel drive left for dead. Even though the front wheel drive has more power at the wheels.
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: What do people think of the new Camry Sportivo? Sun, 08 February 2004 10:28 Go to previous message
Shraka wrote on Sat, 07 February 2004 14:13

I wanna know what the big front wheel drive "sports car" thing is about. Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't front wheel drives tend to suck ass on the track? A front wheel drive vs. a rear wheel drive, both with similar suspension setups, both 50/50 1500kg, both 200kw at the flywheel on a track will see the front wheel drive left for dead. Even though the front wheel drive has more power at the wheels.

Depending upon the conditions (refer to one of my posts above), the FWD can be faster.
Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:wake up to find my cars in the side fence
Next Topic:Rate your driving
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 15:40:38 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0063321590423584 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.