Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » what box is in the RA28??

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
sbyder
Forums Junkie

May 2002
what box is in the RA28?? Wed, 07 August 2002 09:57 Go to next message

Is it the W50 or W56???
I mean the stock 1977 RA28 celica, with 18RC motor.

Thanks
Ben

Send a private message to this user    
RA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: what box is in the RA28?? Wed, 07 August 2002 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

RA28's have a W50.

I dunno what the w56 is from, perhaps RA40's?

RA60's have a W57...

Tim.
sbyder
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: what box is in the RA28?? Wed, 07 August 2002 10:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK, thanks

Ben
RA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: what box is in the RA28?? Wed, 07 August 2002 10:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Any w series box will fit though, as long as it has a r series bellhousing. just slightly different crossmember and stick locations...
sbyder
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: what box is in the RA28?? Tue, 13 August 2002 08:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've got a tough RPM W50 clutch and flywheel on order- getting it in about 1 week(already paid for). I can only bolt a W50 box to this clutch right????
Or can i fit a W55 box??? Or other???

I really should have ordered a different clutch, but i thought this box i have now was really tough! now i think the bearings are gone!! I've been told to rebuild it, it would cost about >$500!!! I don't really want to spend this much money, and would rather find a good box thats already done up and is cheap, or find another tough box that will fit up to the clutch.

Whats my choices???
Thanks
Ben

PS- i can't get a refund on that clutch, so getting a different clutch isn't possible!
RA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: what box is in the RA28?? Tue, 13 August 2002 12:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

I think the clutch will fit on any w box, same input shaft size, go buy a W57 from a RA60 celica, or, buy a RA60 Celica and take the gearbox out and then smash it (the second option would probably be cheaper and more fun Wink. The only prob is that the gear shifter sits a bit further forward and the gearbox cross member is a little further back. Not a prob really (the gear shift being further forward pissed me a little bit cause my gear shift was like 4 inches long and I could only just reach it)

I have noticed that on my W58 the gearshift sits further back in a real good position and it looks like the shifter mechanisms look like they can be swapped over so maybe you can swap them between a W50 and W57?

Good Luck.

Tim.

sbyder
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: what box is in the RA28?? Tue, 13 August 2002 12:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok that sounds good. As long as the clutch will fit.

Will i have to modify the driveshaft to suit the new box???
So i just keep the bellhousing and change the box over?
What about the W58 box could i put that in? How much would one of them cost?
Thanks
Ben

[Updated on: Tue, 13 August 2002 12:16]

RA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: what box is in the RA28?? Tue, 13 August 2002 12:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No you can't swap you bell housing over the W50 and W57/58 have different patterns. The bellhousing you get from the ra60 will bolt a W57/58 to a 18R/21R engine. to Bolt in a W58 you'll need the R engine to W57/58 box from the RA60. I don't know what else these came out in.

Just go the W57 I don't think it's any weaker, just a shorter 5th gear.

Tim

PS if you really want the w58 I have a bellhousing I aint using.
sbyder
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: what box is in the RA28?? Tue, 13 August 2002 12:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
can u please clarify??
So i get the W57 gearbox and bellhousing combination and bolt that to the 18RGU, and bolt on the flywheel and clutch i'm getting. No mods to driveshaft???

Or get the W58 box and bellhousing combination and bolt that onto the 18RG???

this right???

any mods i need to do?- apart from modifying the crossmember and gear-stick hole???
RA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: what box is in the RA28?? Tue, 13 August 2002 12:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nup you got it.

To bolt up a W58 you need a RA60 bellhousing.

the W57 (if it comes out of a ra60) should fit with the bellhousing it comes with.

Therer are no mods to drivetrain needed. the tailshaft fits perfect.

After thinking about it, I remembered I used a RA28 auto crossmember, I don't know if they are different but you may want to check with someone else.

Tim.
sbyder
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: what box is in the RA28?? Tue, 13 August 2002 12:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK, thanks very much for u're help.
I now think i know what to do. I think i'll just buy a RA60 wreck and pull out the box and put that in with my new clutch. And i'll try and see if i can use a RA28 auto cross-member.
these W57 box's aren't that dear are they?? They're strong aren't they?
Thanks again
Ben
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: what box is in the RA28?? Tue, 13 August 2002 23:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You already have a W50 don't you? If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it, that's my advice...
sbyder
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: what box is in the RA28?? Wed, 14 August 2002 03:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As i just said, "now i think the bearings are gone!! I've been told to rebuild it, it would cost about >$500!!! "
So i do need a new box. But the Question is, which one??? A w50 again or a W55/6/7/8???

thanks
Ben
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: what box is in the RA28?? Wed, 14 August 2002 03:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If it was me I'd just slot in another W50, but I'd also consider rebuilding my existing box rather than taking a gamble on another second-hand one.
sbyder
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: what box is in the RA28?? Wed, 14 August 2002 06:48 Go to previous message
The big question is, how much would it cost to totally reco the W50 box and would it be worth doing?? I mean if i have to pay $1000 for a good W50 thats been recon'd, why not pay pay $500 and get a W57/8 that is already stronger???
I'd rather not get a different box(my centre consol is custom made so it'd mean hack'n that up if theres a new stick position), and keep the W50, but if it costs too much than why not convert???
Opinions?
thanks
Ben
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:93+ Soarer 2.5 TT - Info please
Next Topic:Imogen Bailey
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 8 22:32:32 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.006633996963501 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar