Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » Legalities of aftermarket steering wheels?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
chrishulbert
Regular

March 2003
Legalities of aftermarket steering wheels? Mon, 02 February 2004 03:45 Go to next message
Hey is anyone aware of the current laws (NSW) about aftermarket steering wheels? I'm fitting one to my car to replace the horrible original one but since rego is soon i need it to be legal.

...and opinions about what styles look nice on oldskool celicas and where to buy one, is appreciated as well Smile
  Send a private message to this user    
ra23mad
Forums Junkie

September 2003

Re: Legalities of aftermarket steering wheels? Mon, 02 February 2004 04:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
All I know in SA is that -- Full metal steering wheels are illegal, and they wheel has to be as high as the top of the dash (without mats or anything)

Its probably more leniant in nsw Very Happy

chrishulbert
Regular

March 2003
Re: Legalities of aftermarket steering wheels? Mon, 02 February 2004 04:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I rang the RTA technical enquiries and just got told that you need an engineering certificate for one! Shocked
ra23mad
Forums Junkie

September 2003

Re: Legalities of aftermarket steering wheels? Mon, 02 February 2004 05:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shocked Confused Surprised Confused

That's all I can say!!!

That's crazy! Shocked
-=NiGz=-
Regular

January 2004
Re: Legalities of aftermarket steering wheels? Mon, 02 February 2004 06:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well a aftermarket gear knob with no Gear Mapping is a defect sad ah, just get rego brother with normal steering wheel then after that put the aftermarket on one thats what i would do lol hahah fuck the RTA they reck your fun
Camry_omega
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Legalities of aftermarket steering wheels? Mon, 02 February 2004 06:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Engineering for a steering wheel??
WTF?
well i guess with anything like that you can convert back to stock come rego time.
NickAE86
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Legalities of aftermarket steering wheels? Mon, 02 February 2004 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

...and opinions about what styles look nice on oldskool celicas

personally i'd go for the woodgrain...imo they look great on old celicas.

http://www.emtechautomotive.com.au/products/steeri ng_wheels.html
http://www.ssv.com.au/public/home.ehtml?syspage=1

its hard to find a site that actually displays their steering wheels. Best bet is to search for shops that sell them and walk in and look around

there's always ebay as well

whatever tickles your fancy Smile

Quote:

Engineering for a steering wheel??

afaik anything not stock is classed as modified and anything modified needs to be engineered...but that seems to be a fairly grey area. Im sure it could go either way...ultimately it'd be up the the officer & if he feels like being nasty. Thats what makes sense to me...feel free to correct
chrishulbert
Regular

March 2003
Re: Legalities of aftermarket steering wheels? Mon, 02 February 2004 11:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, i rang the engineer up.
This is how the conversation goes:

Me: I was wondering what the laws are for fitting steering wheels
Engineer: Just so long as its 13" diameter its fine
Me: Is that all? Do you need to get it engineered?
Engineer: Well, yeah, some people do. But most people don't bother.

So.... i guess i'll put it on after i get rego done

[Updated on: Mon, 02 February 2004 11:14]

Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Legalities of aftermarket steering wheels? Mon, 02 February 2004 11:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
need eng cert..

cops can rip u...

just get a decent steering wheel from another car... as long as its not a momo, sparco etc, the cops wont give u shit...
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Legalities of aftermarket steering wheels? Mon, 02 February 2004 12:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you dont need to worry about an eng certificate for a simple rego renewal (ie pinkslip)... they dont give a shit about stuff like this, just the check boxes on the form.

when it might become an issue is where you need to get a defect clearance (issued by the cops if youre being a bogan - and get caught)... at which point in time, swap the old wheel back on.
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Legalities of aftermarket steering wheels? Mon, 02 February 2004 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, as had been said. Any modification requires a eng cert. However, it's up to the officer when they defect you as to if they think it warrents a defect notice.
-=NiGz=-
Regular

January 2004
Re: Legalities of aftermarket steering wheels? Mon, 02 February 2004 12:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cops dont look much whats inside unless u got neon. Copper once wanted to deffect me cos i didnt have clearence where my top part of my tyres is and the gaurd, i go to them listen her man my car is 10 cms of the ground (its not tho lol) and where i got my springs said aslong as its ten cms of the ground its legit and yous cant say nothign about it cos i was told this by a legit business well knowN, they didnt say anything they left me alone Laughing
just put it on dont worry about cops they dont look whats in your car mostly what shows from the outside

[Updated on: Mon, 02 February 2004 12:42]

Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Legalities of aftermarket steering wheels? Mon, 02 February 2004 22:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
main thing is dont deive like a dick (and get caught) and u will be fine. Very Happy
chrishulbert
Regular

March 2003
Re: Legalities of aftermarket steering wheels? Mon, 02 February 2004 22:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Good advice guys Smile
-=NiGz=-
Regular

January 2004
Re: Legalities of aftermarket steering wheels? Tue, 03 February 2004 01:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Les wrote on Tue, 03 February 2004 09:02

main thing is dont deive like a dick (and get caught) and u will be fine. Very Happy

Or dont have a fresh box of Krispy Kremes in your car, cos they will smell it from a mile away and then they will pull you over defect you for your steering wheel and make up a defect about having donuts in your car and take em off you
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Legalities of aftermarket steering wheels? Tue, 03 February 2004 01:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
-=NiGz=- wrote on Tue, 03 February 2004 12:12

Les wrote on Tue, 03 February 2004 09:02

Or dont have a fresh box of Krispy Kremes in your car, cos they will smell it from a mile away and then they will pull you over defect you for your steering wheel and make up a defect about having donuts in your car and take em off you

u know... that has actually happend to me... Razz
coronamark2
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Legalities of aftermarket steering wheels? Tue, 03 February 2004 01:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
this is in WA

Alternative Steering Wheels

Back to Vehicle Modifications

Sports type steering wheels may be fitted where they are of sound construction and conform with the following :

(a) Rims and spokes must be of metal construction with a continuous rim

(b) Wooden rims will not be accepted unless continuously reinforced with metal; (c) The mounting boss must be compatible with the original column and all features such as anti-theft locks etc. must function correctly.

(d) Check steering wheel conformity with ADR requirements.

(e) No wheel will be accepted which is smaller than 333mm (13").

(f) The wheel must be robustly constructed.

(g) Cutting down of the original wheel boss to accept the new wheel will not be permitted.

(h) All essential instrumentation must be visible with the new steering wheel in place.
-=NiGz=-
Regular

January 2004
Re: Legalities of aftermarket steering wheels? Tue, 03 February 2004 01:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bad Boy Mad
Caledwvech
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Legalities of aftermarket steering wheels? Tue, 03 February 2004 02:03 Go to previous message
Quote:

(b) Wooden rims will not be accepted unless continuously reinforced with metal

How the heck would they be able to tell that????

Quote:

(f) The wheel must be robustly constructed.

Talk about leaving it open for interpretation. Neutral
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Any AE86 owners what a bonnet?
Next Topic:ae86 vs ae82???
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 6 22:16:14 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0078961849212646 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.