Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Do I need to remove engine to fix water pump?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ovaltine
Occasional Poster

February 2004
Do I need to remove engine to fix water pump? Tue, 03 February 2004 03:59 Go to next message
Water's leaking from the right hand side of my ST162's 3SGE engine. I'm guessing it's a gasket or o-ring problem on the water pump. Do I need to remove the engine to remove the water pump or can I do it while it's still in the car? Also, can I change the cam belt while the engine's in the car? If so, how do I get cam belt cover off? -- it's bloody tight to get anything in that gap.
  Send a private message to this user    
SXY184
Regular

January 2004
Re: Do I need to remove engine to fix water pump? Tue, 03 February 2004 07:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hell no , ya can replace both the cam belt and water pump with the engine ,i know there is nearly no room but that adds to the fun and busted nuckels!!, yeah ya can do it !
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Do I need to remove engine to fix water pump? Tue, 03 February 2004 08:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haha dude funny you want to change your cam belt and fix the water pump at the same time Smile

'cause to change the water pump you have to take the timing belt off. Well that is what my mechanic had to do. Haven't actually done this myself yet.
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Do I need to remove engine to fix water pump? Tue, 03 February 2004 08:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you have to support the motor and take that mount out too btw. Smile
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Do I need to remove engine to fix water pump? Tue, 03 February 2004 10:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A hoist doesnt exactly hurt the process though Evil or Very Mad Take the wheel off, then the cover inside, and it's tight, but doable. Really.
ovaltine
Occasional Poster

February 2004
Re: Do I need to remove engine to fix water pump? Wed, 04 February 2004 02:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanx guys! Looks really nasty, but I'll give it a go.

Here's one tip to share -- to remove the bolt from the crankshaft pulley use a heavy rubber mallet against the handle of the socket wrench, if you don't have an impact wrench (there's no need to stop the engine from rotating).
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Do I need to remove engine to fix water pump? Wed, 04 February 2004 02:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Its easier to put it on an angle where you can slip a longer pipe over the top of it. The extra leverage makes it a piece of cake.
ovaltine
Occasional Poster

February 2004
Re: Do I need to remove engine to fix water pump? Wed, 04 February 2004 02:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, I tried the pipe extension method -- didn't work coz the engine rotates before enough torque is transferred to bolt. The impact from the rubber mallet method appears to transfer a lot more torque before the engine rotates.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Do I need to remove engine to fix water pump? Wed, 04 February 2004 02:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Put it in gear?
ovaltine
Occasional Poster

February 2004
Re: Do I need to remove engine to fix water pump? Wed, 04 February 2004 02:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tried that too. With the car on stands, the wheels just turn -- would help if I had someone to step on the brakes. With the car on the ground, there is no room to extend the wrench with the pipe.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Do I need to remove engine to fix water pump? Wed, 04 February 2004 02:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah
put handbrake on, have someone put footbrake down.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Do I need to remove engine to fix water pump? Wed, 04 February 2004 02:53 Go to previous message
Try cracking it with the wheels on the ground...
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:1JZ-GTE
Next Topic:Car Choice!!! Just after a few opinions!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 7 20:24:51 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.005728006362915 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.