Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Rust in a RA28 - how to fix it?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
chrishulbert
Regular

March 2003
icon9.gif  Rust in a RA28 - how to fix it? Thu, 05 February 2004 06:35 Go to next message
I just discovered a fair bit of rust in my RA28 along the sides, in the strip just under the door (no i don't mean the bottom of the door, i mean the sides of the car beneath the doors).
Is this a critical chassis strength spot ie can i just weld it up or bog it? Smile
Or is the car gonna have to be crushed... Shocked
  Send a private message to this user    
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Rust in a RA28 - how to fix it? Thu, 05 February 2004 07:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rust cannot be repaired with bog, it can only be hidden for a while (6 months or so if you're lucky). The only way to actually repair it is to weld in new metal.

As for whether it needs to be crushed, that depends on how bad the rust is I guess!
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Rust in a RA28 - how to fix it? Thu, 05 February 2004 07:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if it's rusted there, then check the front pillars (inside & out) and the base of the front pillars (under the lower windscreen cowl and underneath the front guards)

also, you'll have to check whether the rust/moisture that led to the door sills corroding came from outside (e.g. blocked drains, slat, etc) or via the interior.

fwiw: the most dangerous spots for rust will be the bases/inside of roof pillars. - if badly corroded, the cabin will crush during a roll-over (e.g. you end up with a human chicko roll with celica flavouring)

M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Rust in a RA28 - how to fix it? Thu, 05 February 2004 08:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Im just about to do the same thing.
Remove all the rust i can find in my RA28, and weld in new metal.
Lots of fun Wink

Pics of mine + rust:
http://www.overclockers.com.au/~mwp/gallery/thumbs .php?sub=Celica%20RA28
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Rust in a RA28 - how to fix it? Thu, 05 February 2004 08:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
One word: POR15

Get rust cut out, get metal welded in, cover liberally in POR15.
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Rust in a RA28 - how to fix it? Thu, 05 February 2004 23:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The bits you are talking about are the sills and they are definitly structural.

Don't go jumping to the conclusion that it will be crushed.

Take it to a repair shop and ask them what it will cost to fix. It shouldn't be too much as they are pretty easy to fold up and weld in. If they say "can't do" take it to someone that "can do". Most panel shops now are only interested in dinged panels that they can unbolt and bolt on a new one. Rust is generally put into the too hard basket with an excuse like "Oh we don't do rust because we can't warrenty it" There are still panel beaters around that can actally do real panel beating, sometimes you just have to look around.

TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Rust in a RA28 - how to fix it? Thu, 05 February 2004 23:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I can recommend 2 places on the Central Coast who have a 'can do' attitude. One place carried out some repairs on my AE86 that I didn't think were possible.

Let me know if you want details.

Cheers
Joel
chrishulbert
Regular

March 2003
Re: Rust in a RA28 - how to fix it? Fri, 06 February 2004 00:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sounds like i'll have to get it fixed by a pro then. Unfortunately the central coast is too far for me - because the car is unrego'ed i don't wanna tow it that far it'd cost a fortune! But thanks anyway.

But if anyone does know any panelbeaters who would do a good job, around northwest sydney, i'd be stoked if you could recommend them to me!

Or even better if one of you guys has done this before, i'd be willing to pay?
flynn21atwork
Regular

November 2003
Re: Rust in a RA28 - how to fix it? Fri, 06 February 2004 01:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I had exact same sitch with my old TA22, was caused by the rear window seals deteriorating, and then leaves, and dirt filled up the sills, and rusted it out. Took it to a panel beater/mechanic mate of mine, who said not even a panel beater on drugs would take on the project. Sorry for the bleak out look Confused , if your handy with a welder though you may be able to cut the sills off another Celica and weld them in, I have never tried this before but it was suggested to me by a friend who repaired similar rust on an Alfa. Good Luck.
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Rust in a RA28 - how to fix it? Fri, 06 February 2004 12:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
But remember it depends on how big the rust holes are.

If they are small and just along the top of the sill (under the door), itll probably be an easy weld up job (like mine will be).

If the rust has gone down the side and underneath the sill, you might have problems because of strngth Sad
chrishulbert
Regular

March 2003
Re: Rust in a RA28 - how to fix it? Fri, 06 February 2004 21:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, there are a couple of big holes in the top of the sill, which can be welded, but it looks fine underneath, and the sides of the sill is looking pretty bad.
hemi twofifteen turbo
Regular

October 2003
Re: Rust in a RA28 - how to fix it? Sat, 07 February 2004 00:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
here you go! Someone else posted a while ago...

Craig Vayne Sheetmetal Fabrications
Phone: (07) 4122 2326

Guard lowers $20.00
Rear 1/4 lowers $25.00
Sills $35.00
Door skins $100.00

Personally, if your really poor, do what i'm doing, get some angle iron, and bolt the MF all the way down. That shit will take 30 years to rust through, and it makes the sill just an obsolete visual thing.. Bog and rust convertor does work, IF YOU DO IT PROPERLY! (personal exp). means GOOD rust convertor, 3 or more proper coats, and proper prep on the rust in the first place.

Also an opinion from an engineer was that as long as the sills aren't completly gone their going to hold up due to the design and shape of the door frame that helps suppor the load...

|--------\
| \
====================

anyway those replacement sills look good!

chrishulbert
Regular

March 2003
Re: Rust in a RA28 - how to fix it? Sun, 08 February 2004 23:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hemi twofifteen turbo wrote on Sat, 07 February 2004 11:50

here you go! Someone else posted a while ago...

Craig Vayne Sheetmetal Fabrications
Phone: (07) 4122 2326

Guard lowers $20.00
Rear 1/4 lowers $25.00
Sills $35.00
Door skins $100.00

Personally, if your really poor, do what i'm doing, get some angle iron, and bolt the MF all the way down. That shit will take 30 years to rust through, and it makes the sill just an obsolete visual thing.. Bog and rust convertor does work, IF YOU DO IT PROPERLY! (personal exp). means GOOD rust convertor, 3 or more proper coats, and proper prep on the rust in the first place.

Also an opinion from an engineer was that as long as the sills aren't completly gone their going to hold up due to the design and shape of the door frame that helps suppor the load...

|--------\
| \
====================

anyway those replacement sills look good!

Mate thanks a heap! I reckon i'll buy replacement sills and get a panel shop to weld em in. Sweet!
chrishulbert
Regular

March 2003
Re: Rust in a RA28 - how to fix it? Tue, 10 February 2004 05:30 Go to previous message
Crikey! i just gave her a call and yep he still makes them - she said $20 for shipping, and $35 to make em. Thats AMAZING!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:MA70 to JZA70 conversion question (i tried search)
Next Topic:URGENT HELP!! 1988 Celica SX sorry but gotta get it done in a week
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri May 10 11:04:29 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0046329498291016 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.