Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » What cars came with what box? (W5*)

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Bazooka
Regular

April 2003

What cars came with what box? (W5*) Fri, 06 February 2004 08:32 Go to next message
Just after a list of cars that came out with the different variants of W series gerboxes.

When looking for a particular box what cars do you look for when sourcing one?

Oh and what in peoples opinion is the better of the W boxes to look out for?

[Updated on: Fri, 06 February 2004 08:33]

Send a private message to this user    
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What cars came with what box? (W5*) Fri, 06 February 2004 08:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmm

Aus delivered cars only? (otherwise there are heaps of others Confused )

W40 / W50 (4 speed vrs 5 speed) steel case, came in old crowns, cressidas (mx32), celicas (ra23, ra28, ra40), corona's, corona mk2's, and prbly some I've forgotten...however I have a feeling that you were more interested in the W55, W57, W58 gearboxes Cool

W55, W57, W58 are alloy cased gearboxes, the W57 and W58 (I believe that the JZA80 W58 has different ratios?) share the same first gear to fourth gear ratios, with fith on the W58 being more overdriven (ie less revs at highway speed). The W55 has different ratios to the W57 and W58.

Also apparently W58's have a steel sandwich plate (but I've heard word of some having alloy ones as well Confused ), if it does have a steel sandwich plate it should be a W58 though (or one of the equivalent gearboxes that came out in hiluxes? which have crappy ratios?).

W55's came in RA60's (some?), RA65 (some), SA63

W57's came in RA60's, RA65's
W58's came in RA65's (some), MA61's, JZA80's (behind the 2JZ-GE)

The W58 is considered the best box generally, due to its close ratios and steel sandwich plate which makes it a bit stronger. The later W58 gearboxes (the JZA80 ones) are considered better again as they have a slightly larger input bearing.

btw I am in no way an authority on this matter so I feel confident that others can contribute further Smile

Cheers
Wilbo
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: What cars came with what box? (W5*) Fri, 06 February 2004 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wilbo666 wrote on Fri, 06 February 2004 18:49

Hmm

Aus delivered cars only? (otherwise there are heaps of others Confused )

W40 / W50 (4 speed vrs 5 speed) steel case, came in old crowns, cressidas (mx32), celicas (ra23, ra28, ra40), corona's, corona mk2's, and prbly some I've forgotten...however I have a feeling that you were more interested in the W55, W57, W58 gearboxes Cool

W55, W57, W58 are alloy cased gearboxes, the W57 and W58 (I believe that the JZA80 W58 has different ratios?) share the same first gear to fourth gear ratios, with fith on the W58 being more overdriven (ie less revs at highway speed). The W55 has different ratios to the W57 and W58.

Also apparently W58's have a steel sandwich plate (but I've heard word of some having alloy ones as well Confused ), if it does have a steel sandwich plate it should be a W58 though (or one of the equivalent gearboxes that came out in hiluxes? which have crappy ratios?).

W55's came in RA60's (some?), RA65 (some), SA63

W57's came in RA60's, RA65's
W58's came in RA65's (some), MA61's, JZA80's (behind the 2JZ-GE)

The W58 is considered the best box generally, due to its close ratios and steel sandwich plate which makes it a bit stronger. The later W58 gearboxes (the JZA80 ones) are considered better again as they have a slightly larger input bearing.

btw I am in no way an authority on this matter so I feel confident that others can contribute further Smile

Cheers
Wilbo

Dont forget the ma70 wilbo Wink
TheGecko
Occasional Poster

September 2003
Re: What cars came with what box? (W5*) Fri, 06 February 2004 13:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
When we did the second engine swap into FrankenCorona (my faithful old XT130W that went from the original 1X Starfire/BW 4sp to 18RC/W50 to 21RC/W55) it came from a RT131 Corona XX. This was the imported model with square lights and rubber bumpers. I always thougyt it was a W55 but it may have been a W57.

Hope this helps,

Dominic
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: What cars came with what box? (W5*) Fri, 06 February 2004 14:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Actually, W55 has a diff ratio (maybe only 1st and 2nd) to W57 and W58, but 3rd and 4th are the same, and 5th different.
With W58 best highway, then W57, then W55

W50 has the closest ratios for draggin, and the smoothest shifter IMO.
If you are putting oodles of power in, get a W50, cheapest of the bunch (provided you can get the right bell/h) and best shifter.

Remember, W55/7/8 bell/h are interchangeable, and W40/50 are, but not between the 2 groups
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What cars came with what box? (W5*) Sat, 07 February 2004 01:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rather than listing every car ever built, here's an easier rule of thumb:

- Pre-82 (or thereabouts) most larger RWD Toyota cars came with a W40 (4-speed) or W50 (5-speed). Smaller cars came with a T50 5-speed (some Celicas and Corollas) or a K-series box (most Corollas).

- Post-82 the steel-case W40/50 was replaced with the alloy-case W5x boxes. Generally speaking the 4-cylinder cars came with a W55/57, while the sixes came with W58's.

- Post-92 or so saw the introduction of the second generation W58, which has updated internals including double-row synchros on 2nd and 3rd. Some say this box is stronger than earlier W58's but I still managed to break one. Sad
Sprinter
Regular

September 2002
Re: What cars came with what box? (W5*) Thu, 22 April 2004 08:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So which car/gb combination came with which shifter location?

Dellow have the following shifter locations identified:

18 Inch - SA63
19 Inch
20.5 Inch - MA70 (??)
21 Inch

http://oz-enet.com.au/~peewee/Toyota_Supra_5spd_Sh ifter.jpg
http://oz-enet.com.au/~peewee/Toyota_Supra_5spd_Shifter.jpg
Is there a 20inch shifter or is this actually the 19inch one listed??

FWIW I have a 20.5 inch shifter location that I believe (cant confirm) came from an MA70.

Look forward to getting some responses.

Denis

[Updated on: Thu, 22 April 2004 08:17]

wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What cars came with what box? (W5*) Fri, 23 April 2004 12:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sprinter wrote on Thu, 22 April 2004 18:16

So which car/gb combination came with which shifter location?

Dellow have the following shifter locations identified:

18 Inch - SA63

I beg to freaking differ with Dellow on this one Confused my W55 that I am using is out of an SA63 and it MOST DEFIANTLY has the 21" shifter position....

and a picture to prove I'm not a lying gasbag Cool (sorry, the pic could be better Sad but it is shiny Very Happy )

http://everest.fit.qut.edu.au/~n4150414/Auto-%3eManual/w55%2021%20shifter.jpg

Cheers
Wilbo
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: What cars came with what box? (W5*) Thu, 17 June 2004 12:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how do you tell the difference between a W55 and a W50? would taking a printed copy of the picture that Wilbo posted be enough? Also I need a shifter position for a sprinter, anyone know which one I need and if its wrong where I can get the right one? I wouldnt of thought that wreckers would sell them individually.

I think what I will do is measure the diffent bellhouings and work out how long it has to be from my orginal. I am hoping that I can get one out of a Corona cheap. Would a shifter housing off a W50 fit onto a W55? anyone know?

[Updated on: Thu, 17 June 2004 12:17]

justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: What cars came with what box? (W5*) Thu, 17 June 2004 12:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The W55 has an alloy case, whereas the W50 is a steel case. It will be a piece of cake to identify them.
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: What cars came with what box? (W5*) Thu, 17 June 2004 12:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks frank, but how tell it from the rest of the range such as W56 etc.. or do I just go off the year (pre 92), is that enough?
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: What cars came with what box? (W5*) Thu, 17 June 2004 12:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just check the firewall plate, they'll be in RA60/65 Celicas, NA Mk3 Supras, Mk2 Supras.
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: What cars came with what box? (W5*) Thu, 17 June 2004 12:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
take a magnet with you (like an old speaker), itll soon tell you if it it steel or alloy!
Tezzarona
Newcomer

August 2005
Re: What cars came with what box? (W5*) Tue, 16 August 2005 07:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Heya im a bit new to all this car stuff Razz
But from what i have read a W55/57 should be able to fit into my 85 corona wagon Confused . . . but will i have to make any mounting mods to the car because it currently has the auto 3sp in it which is really lagging the car and from driving my mates corona i believe this will unleash some hidden power from the small rona's 2l engine. . .
any help would be GREATLY appreciated
thanks Very Happy
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What cars came with what box? (W5*) Tue, 16 August 2005 08:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just grab a 5-speed box and all the related hardware from a manual 85 Corona. That will be the easiest way to do it, and it should cost stuff-all as well.
Jonny2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What cars came with what box? (W5*) Wed, 17 August 2005 04:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Many recent model HiLux's, 2x4 have W56 gearboxs. These are the ones with 3RZ-FE and 5L engines. (The 1KZ-TE and 5VZ-FE have the bigger R150 series gearbox, as do the new model HiLux).

Many HiLux and HiAce have a G52 gearbox, which I think is the same as the W series, but the HiAce have the shifter linkages on the side, and the 4x4 HiLux have a different rear housing for the transfer of course.
jeffro RA28
Regular

August 2004
Re: What cars came with what box? (W5*) Wed, 17 August 2005 10:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
about the strongest out of the w50 vs w55.

In a gearbox rating in a magazine i read a while back, cant remember which but it gave the alloy case w55 a higher rating for strength then the steel case w50. A transmission factory in town also recomends the w55 over the w50 for strength. i know its an old post but i think its still worth discussing

Id like to know were i can get my mits on a p51 g-box.
510rob
Regular

June 2004
Re: What cars came with what box? (W5*) Sat, 20 August 2005 04:56 Go to previous message
up here in Canada, I've never seen a W57 anywhere...
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Oil viscosities and Consumption
Next Topic:Are ae82 springs different to ae92?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 11:47:35 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0077669620513916 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.