Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Has anyone ever run a 1JZ minus turbos?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
7M-Brisbane
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Has anyone ever run a 1JZ minus turbos? Sun, 08 February 2004 12:58 Go to next message
Hi guys

I know someone Very Happy that has just put a 1JZGTE minus turbos into their car and is planning on bodging up the piping atmo so that they can have it as a runaround while sorting out what turbo(s) will be used.

I am interested to know if anyone else has done this, and if they came across any problems.

As the engine is MAP sensed I can't see there being too much of a problem, although one thing that does make me wonder is what the ECU will do under a full load/full throttle/nil manifold pressure situation.

The timing and fuelling may be interesting. It will probably run okay - due the the low compression and the cylinder head design I'd say there won't be any pinging issues. One thing it certainly won't do is make any power, as an atmo 1JZ is 132kW - and a non turbo 1JZGTE is down two points of compression, has smaller cams and will have rather odd mapping!

Thoughts, anyone?

[Updated on: Sun, 08 February 2004 13:02]

Send a private message to this user    
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Has anyone ever run a 1JZ minus turbos? Sun, 08 February 2004 13:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How bout you accept what it is, a non-boosted turbo 1JZGTE and drive it around like a Nanna trying to make sure it stays safe until you work out what to do with it? Razz
7M-Brisbane
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Has anyone ever run a 1JZ minus turbos? Sun, 08 February 2004 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm actually trying to go one better - finding out if it's a shit idea BEFORE anything goes awry.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Has anyone ever run a 1JZ minus turbos? Sun, 08 February 2004 13:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hehe Smile I can't see any reason while it would be a problem. The engine will just never see boost and won't adjust the mapping accordingly. What do you care what its like at WOT anyway, do you have any need to take it there in its crippled form? Razz
HedgehogSandwich
Regular

May 2002
Re: Has anyone ever run a 1JZ minus turbos? Sun, 08 February 2004 13:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just wait until you get the turbo/s .. far more sensible.

Seems a totally crazy idea to me..
7M-Brisbane
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Has anyone ever run a 1JZ minus turbos? Sun, 08 February 2004 13:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well yes - if the engine is only making 100kw then you would will probably need to floor it once in a while... highway onramps and the like.

If noone can come in here and tell me I'm going to have heaps of problems, then I'll just be doing it. I'll actually stick it on the dyno to be safe as well, but don't want to go to the effort if someone's proven it will cause issues (eg. auto not liking to shift under WOT).
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Has anyone ever run a 1JZ minus turbos? Sun, 08 February 2004 13:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
7M-Brisbane wrote on Sun, 08 February 2004 21:13

Well yes - if the engine is only making 100kw then you would will probably need to floor it once in a while... highway onramps and the like.

If noone can come in here and tell me I'm going to have heaps of problems, then I'll just be doing it. I'll actually stick it on the dyno to be safe as well, but don't want to go to the effort if someone's proven it will cause issues (eg. auto not liking to shift under WOT).

I highly doubt you will have a problem to floor it, you'll just WANT to floor it to go faster up highway ramps and the like. Damn man, my current daily driver doesn't even have 100kW! Laughing If you're going to check it out on a dyno, then it's good to see you're playing it safe, but it's probably best to just not drive it if you can avoid it, it will always be a compromise and there is probably a better way.
7M-Brisbane
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Has anyone ever run a 1JZ minus turbos? Sun, 08 February 2004 13:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Having owned more than one 7M in my time, let's just say you won't find someone more wary.

As an example, I bought a new oil filter about two months before my motor was available to be picked up Razz

Hedgehog - thanks for your input... I was hoping for something a little bit more helpful but an opinion is an opinion I guess. Do you have anything to add to your tirade or is that it? Smile
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Has anyone ever run a 1JZ minus turbos? Sun, 08 February 2004 13:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
7M-Brisbane wrote on Sun, 08 February 2004 21:28

Having owned more than one 7M in my time, let's just say you won't find someone more wary.

Haha, fair call Smile
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Has anyone ever run a 1JZ minus turbos? Sun, 08 February 2004 13:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it should be no different to running it with an intercooler pipe not connected - it should be ok as long as he grandma's it around.

how is he planning on getting an exhaust on it?
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Has anyone ever run a 1JZ minus turbos? Sun, 08 February 2004 14:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I can't see there being any major dramas, although I don't think it will run that great either. When you floor it the ECU will see zero manifold pressure (or close to it), and that can occur on a turbo engine so that's not going to be a problem. However, you've removed a dirty great exhaust restriction (two of them actually) which the ECU was mapped for, and that's the only thing I can see causing issues... might make it run a bit lean? Probably won't be a big deal though since these things are mapped pretty rich to begin with. It will definitely never ping though!
HedgehogSandwich
Regular

May 2002
Re: Has anyone ever run a 1JZ minus turbos? Sun, 08 February 2004 16:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
7M-Brisbane wrote on Sun, 08 February 2004 13:28

Hedgehog - thanks for your input... I was hoping for something a little bit more helpful but an opinion is an opinion I guess. Do you have anything to add to your tirade or is that it? Smile

nope.. thats it Very Happy i'm just flummoxed as to why.. but hey.
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Has anyone ever run a 1JZ minus turbos? Sun, 08 February 2004 22:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ive been in a non-boosting 1jzgte MA61. (with both turbos still on)

Can't comment on wether it ran rich or lean but it still wasnt too bad to drive, not that it was driven for too long either as we were trying to determine what was wrong with the turbos. Possibly even comparable to my 6mge supra.
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Has anyone ever run a 1JZ minus turbos? Sun, 08 February 2004 23:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
When i was finishing my conversion I drove my car about a bit without the intercooler not hooked up. i.e. the boost was just being blown into the engine bay. The car went fine, but I have a Haltech so i dont know how it would go with standard management.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Has anyone ever run a 1JZ minus turbos? Mon, 09 February 2004 00:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm amazed you didn't blow up both your turbos doing that... they would have been overspeeding something awful!
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Has anyone ever run a 1JZ minus turbos? Mon, 09 February 2004 00:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nah, I didnt push it or anything like that, just had to take the car a couple k's to the exhaust shop and back.
Stenno
Regular

March 2003

Re: Has anyone ever run a 1JZ minus turbos? Mon, 09 February 2004 02:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Mon, 09 February 2004 11:00

I'm amazed you didn't blow up both your turbos doing that... they would have been overspeeding something awful!

Only if the actuators were still connected.

Nevermind, they were connected Wink

[Updated on: Mon, 09 February 2004 02:48]

Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Has anyone ever run a 1JZ minus turbos? Mon, 09 February 2004 02:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
When i took it to the exhaust shop i was only running on the dumps, im pretty certain i remember the wastegates screaming away, perhaps im just lucky i didnt break em Norbie, didnt really think too much about what i was doin Rolling Eyes
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Has anyone ever run a 1JZ minus turbos? Mon, 09 February 2004 03:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
don't know if it is the same, but my mate had a ca18det being put it in a s12 silvia and he drove that around for quite a while with the intercooler installed and no turbo. His inlet temps were very cool and no damage was done.
7M-Brisbane
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Has anyone ever run a 1JZ minus turbos? Tue, 10 February 2004 10:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

nope.. thats it i'm just flummoxed as to why.. but hey.

It would be convenient to have a car to drive as I am soon moving house... also makes it much easier to chase car parts with a running car!

The main reason, though, is troubleshooting - and for this reason I thought it was actually quite a good idea!

I don't want to spend a bunch of money on a turbo, intercooler and new exhaust, only to find that something is wrong with my engine/ECU/cooling system/installation method and I have to spend heaps of money.

I'd rather get it on the road and have it driving around for a month or so while moving house and whatever, just to see that everything is in good order before flogging the arse out of it.
Soarer_GT
Newcomer

September 2002
Re: Has anyone ever run a 1JZ minus turbos? Mon, 15 August 2005 07:01 Go to previous message

The car drives ok without the turbo attached. Feels like an underpowered 2.5L dragging around a 1.5 tonne car (soarer).

I was doing something stupid on the freeway at ... a stupid speed when the cooler hose popped off in an interesting way.

Black smoke out the back as I was at about 6500rpm and the manifold went from 14psi down to 0 in the space of 1/2 a second.

It was the middle of the night. Pulled over and realised I coundt do squat anyway... so drove home.

Stock ECU is much better at handling "issues" than any Haltech will.

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:MX73 cressida/chaser front suspension conversion
Next Topic:Original tyre size for ae92 Levin GTZ?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 8 23:17:02 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0066649913787842 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.