Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 4.5 Litre turbo crown Dyno this friday

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
MS-75
Regular

June 2002
4.5 Litre turbo crown Dyno this friday Mon, 20 October 2003 00:16 Go to next message
Yep. After a two year conversion and a couple of false starts the 4.5 lite turbo crown will be strapped to the dyno this coming friday morning. Yesterday myself and 3 mates jumped in and went for a 1.5 hour spin up in hills behind Blackwood here in adelaide and it went marvellously. With the 4 of us in it it would still spin in third. I did a flat throttle run in third and it went from 70 to about 170 km/h in the blink of an eye showing 13psi on the gauge. It's running premium and about 15 degrees timing on boost. Intake temps were only a couple of degrees above ambient. The full house MV autos rebuilt A340 trans feels awesome and I've now set it up so I can selct overdrive as well (trans is full manual).

The most encouraging part was that after an hour and a half of boosting through the hills NOTHING BROKE!!! (a far cry from the behaviour of the old wrked 5M turbo)

After the drive I now need to pull the whole front end apart and bring it all up to scratch (nolathane bushes etc) I'm also going to go to a rack and pinion steering setup.

I'll have a video camera for the dyno so I'll try so get something up to download.

Sean
  Send a private message to this user    
coronamark2
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: 4.5 Litre turbo crown Dyno this friday Mon, 20 October 2003 00:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hows it going dude nice work with the crown,
I've got the mk2 in the avatar, i have been thinking about turboin the 4m every one seems to think this is a bad idea, what do you reckon you know first hand what it involves with the 5m, is it worth it? Im not going for a HP hero i just want some more power, one more thing what do you mean by nothing broke a far cry from the 5m Laughing .

thanks
natho
Newcomer

October 2003
Re: 4.5 Litre turbo crown Dyno this friday Mon, 20 October 2003 00:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mate you gotta take me for a spin in this thing next time you're up in blackwood! i'm only a few mins away in aberfoyle park...
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 4.5 Litre turbo crown Dyno this friday Mon, 20 October 2003 00:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ah, there's nothing like a drive through the hills in a terrifyingly overpowered car, is there? Laughing

Good effort. Can't wait to see the dyno results.
MS-75
Regular

June 2002
Re: 4.5 Litre turbo crown Dyno this friday Mon, 20 October 2003 03:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ah yes-I've noticed the nice corona in your avatar a few times-nice cars indeed. The main problem you face with that car is the M series motor. I'm sure you will have seen the many discussions regarding the 7M's apetite for head gaskets, but what you should also know is that the M series engines have been a bit weak in that department since the 2M. Once you get any decent cylinder pressure into them it's a bit touch and go, with any detonation being the end of it. The main thing is that there is a very fine margin for error with the M's. That being said-while the headsealing is a bit weak they are otherwise great engines and can be revved all day. (ie make power with moderate boost but big revs)

As for working an M or not-it depends on how much power you want. What will be okay would be a small turbo (RB20 rollerbearing is ideal-I had one on my 5m for a while-instant response) an MTEU dizzy (boost retard function) and a gasressearch throttlebody all running on LPG at about 10-12 psi. It would be really responsive, cheap to set up and easy to tune. As a rule, dont worry about spending cash on a whole EFI setup in there unless you are going to go for a 1J/2J conversion.

Natho-I live in Eden Hills so when there is a cruise for toymods over summer come along and we can hook up.

Norbie-I resent that. The car isn't over powered-the engine is under chassied. Smile
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 4.5 Litre turbo crown Dyno this friday Mon, 20 October 2003 03:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Looking forward to the dyno run Sean......should be awesome.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 4.5 Litre turbo crown Dyno this friday Mon, 20 October 2003 03:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MS-75 wrote on Mon, 20 October 2003 11:41

The car isn't over powered-the engine is under chassied. Smile

Now THAT is class Nod
coronamark2
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: 4.5 Litre turbo crown Dyno this friday Mon, 20 October 2003 05:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks for the info dude, have fun in the crown.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 4.5 Litre turbo crown Dyno this friday Mon, 20 October 2003 05:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that has to be one of the greatest quotes ever
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4.5 Litre turbo crown Dyno this friday Mon, 20 October 2003 05:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Why not holden and ford have goten away with it for years an overly large heavy engine in a car body, only difference is this one actauly makes nice power Smile

Allan
lang
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: 4.5 Litre turbo crown Dyno this friday Mon, 20 October 2003 05:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mental note to self, dont race any crowns
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: 4.5 Litre turbo crown Dyno this friday Mon, 20 October 2003 13:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Im sorry allan...but whats all this about?

Allan wrote on Mon, 20 October 2003 15:38

Why not holden and ford have goten away with it for years an overly large heavy engine in a car body, only difference is this one actauly makes nice power Smile

Allan

[Updated on: Mon, 20 October 2003 13:31]

V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: 4.5 Litre turbo crown Dyno this friday Mon, 20 October 2003 13:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
btw well done doing something different in the crown. Glad to see someone else also took on the challenge to be unique.
MS-75
Regular

June 2002
Re: 4.5 Litre turbo crown Dyno this friday Fri, 24 October 2003 04:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just got back-and all went well. The boost had to be wound back as it was hitting 100% duty cycle-so in the end it had 10 pound stuffed into it. It ran like a dream and we needed to let the tyres down to 26psi and put about 200 kg of ballast in the boot to get it to grip.

Power was 211rwkw on 10 psi-not huge-but prettymuch what I expected with the camshafts.(although it's making over 100 rwkw by about 2500 rpm....) Have a look at the dyno sheet when it's posted up and see how long it maintains over 200kw for!

HOWEVER-what I had been expecting was a big torque number, and it didn't disappoint. It made over 8500 Newtons of tractive effort. How much over?-I don't know because the dyno only reads to 8500.........

And that's happening at about 3700-3800 or so....

Now for some bigger injectors-although I'll race it first and see how it goes.

I'll see if I can get someone to post up the results.

Sean

[Updated on: Fri, 24 October 2003 04:21]

rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 4.5 Litre turbo crown Dyno this friday Fri, 24 October 2003 04:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DAMN!

well done.
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 4.5 Litre turbo crown Dyno this friday Fri, 24 October 2003 05:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
100 rWkw by 2500 rpm Shocked

That'll explain why it spins the wheels so damn easily off idle Very Happy

Are you still running the stock injectors? What upgrades would be possible on this engine?

Too much torque to measure....surely the crown is now the stuff drag racing dreams are made of Smile

Good to hear no more problems and not a bad results considering.
Well done that man!

draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 4.5 Litre turbo crown Dyno this friday Fri, 24 October 2003 05:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that is awesome Smile
new injectors, then new cams, and you'll be getting closer to 300 (you'd be amazed what a difference a set of cams can make when you're making big power figures)
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4.5 Litre turbo crown Dyno this friday Fri, 24 October 2003 07:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hows the auto holding up? no discolouring of the oil from slipage? temps all good?

love the torque! Very Happy

Allan
zac510
Occasional Poster

October 2002

Re: 4.5 Litre turbo crown Dyno this friday Fri, 24 October 2003 13:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
natho, stuff the 1JZ in Cressida, you need one of these! It spent the morning trying to break the tie chains so it could escape out the shed to freedom!
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 4.5 Litre turbo crown Dyno this friday Sat, 25 October 2003 00:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://members.optusnet.com.au/gianttomato/Toyota%20Power%20/1FZ-FTE%20Dyno.jpg

Sean has kindly sent the dyno graph to post up. Marvel at the berserk tractive effort and for how long it is off the scale.

And to think you spent all that time on the 5M!

Should be a beast mate.....can't wait to hear what times it will pull!

Just out of curiosity, what size are the 1FZFE injectors? What is the final boost target you are aiming for?
MS-75
Regular

June 2002
Re: 4.5 Litre turbo crown Dyno this friday Sat, 25 October 2003 03:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for posting that up dave-much appreciated. The 1F injectors are 310-320 cc, or so it says in the manual. With the boost on 13 psi it was hitting 100% duty cycle, so I wound it back to 10. At the moment the fuel system consists of a modified regulator (about 60 psi base pressure), stock injectors and a Bosch 044 pump. I'm thinking of slotting in a second fuel rail when I do the custom log-style plenum-with maybe a set of 2JZ-GTE squirters-but thats a little while away whilst I get the new diff in, tighten up all the suspension and get it running well at the strip. Besides-I can honestly say that it's quite fast enough for me right now! (although as we all know that will change....)

The dyno result was nice to see-although I would have liked to make a little more power (the injectors put paid to that though). The thing to note is however that the max power is being made at only about 4600 rpm, with the max torque at about 3600! It almost looks like the power delivery of a 4WD engine...........??? (funny about that Smile) Another thing to mention is that the A340 and 3000 converter coast me nearly 50 rwkw when I changed over from manual behind the 5M-meaning in manual trim the 1FZ would be pumping out around 250-260. As mentioned, once I get a set of cams into it-lookout! I had big success with a cam profile I put together when chasing big power with 5M-so it's certainly on the cards. Also, we didn't mess with the timing at all as I figured it had had enough of a caning for the morning. It's set at a conservative 16.8 degrees on boost at the moment, and there wasn't a hint of detonation once during the session so there will be a little more power left in it at this boost level (using pump premium fuel). Any more trips to the dyno will need to wait till the diff ratio is upped from 3.9 to 3.23 as hopefully that will drop the torque back to a readable figure and enable the car to wind out for a good MPH at the strip. With this ratio the poor baby would run out of revs before 3/4 track!

The trans seemed fine-no slippage. The trans has had the full MV autos treatment and I've also fitted the big trans cooler with a couple of fans that trip on as soon as the oil pressure in the motor is up (ie they run all the time when the motor is running) I'm waiting for a trans temp guage to come (been ordered), but whilst on the rollers I simply checked it with my hand. I figured that if the cooler was way to hot to touch (ie burn me) that the trans was too hot, but it was fine the whole session.

Finally-2 years of conversion later-it all works! I'll keep you posted on developments. I have the whole circus from yesterday on video so I'll try and sort out a downloadable file sometime soon.

Seeya
Sean
Browndog
Regular

November 2002
Re: 4.5 Litre turbo crown Dyno this friday Sun, 26 October 2003 04:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wow you seem to realy know you stuff! what car did the motor come out of?
MS-75
Regular

June 2002
Re: 4.5 Litre turbo crown Dyno this friday Mon, 27 October 2003 04:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Embarassed landcruiser Embarassed

It's interesting the number of people that said it won't work because it's a 4wd engine. My reply has always been that it's just a really big petrol engine!
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 4.5 Litre turbo crown Dyno this friday Mon, 27 October 2003 04:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
People are getting (high) 9's out of Ford 250s - you would think that there would be at least that potential in the 1FZFE. I can't understand the logic (or lack of as the case may be).
onejayzed
Regular

September 2003
Re: 4.5 Litre turbo crown Dyno this friday Tue, 28 October 2003 02:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
is that the 4.5L straight six out of the landcruisers??
if so, nice work!!!!
where'd you get the engine from and what did it cost you if you don't mind me asking? i've been looking at a similar conversion into an early torrie, but with some nasty turbos and a supra box.
MS-75
Regular

June 2002
Re: 4.5 Litre turbo crown Dyno this friday Sun, 02 November 2003 22:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Yeah-Landcrusher engine. The motor was 2800 and only had 10000-20000 km on it (absolutely mint condition). All of the quotes I received were in the 3500-14,000 (yes-14k-tell him he's dreaming!) The one that I got had been sitting on this importers floor for a while and he just wanted to offload it, so I got evertthing from the flexplate forward (loom chopped af firewall-only thing missing was the dizzy). Fitting it into a torrie may be a little difficult due to the length and height-but then again-if I jammed it into a crown it can't be inmpossible. You'd need a custom sump-or dry sump it if possible (I'll be doing that eventually I think-just makes it a less of a tight fit around the steering and chassis.) With the weight over the front of the car power steering would be a good idea-and the all the motors come with a small PS pump driven off an idler gear underneath the alternator (the pump is 1/2 the size of a beer can!) I'll be putting a powered steering box on soon.

It would go very well too. This setup has a supra box and nasty turbo (see picture) as you describe-in a torrie with some tubs and big rubber it would truly rip your a.ss through the seat.
http://members.optusnet.com.au/gianttomato/Toyota%20Power%20/engtop1.jpg
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: 4.5 Litre turbo crown Dyno this friday Sun, 02 November 2003 23:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So who is going to be the first to shove one in an MA61 Evil or Very Mad
MS-75
Regular

June 2002
Re: 4.5 Litre turbo crown Dyno this friday Mon, 09 February 2004 03:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Got the blue whale on the dyno again on Friday with the new 3.23 LSD diff and GTR injectors and everything went swimmingly. My oil pressure triggered D.ick Smith computer fans for the transmission cooler in the front guard worked a treat with temps never exceeding 140 deg, even after heavy power runs. The dyno cell had air-conditioning so despite the fact it was 35 outside, my on-boost intake temps were 27-28 degrees (Gee, that truck core isn't supposed to be working like that-after all, truck cores don't work as well as aftermarket automotive ones.............yeah-right.) In fact, at Idle, the intake temp at the throttle body was 32 degrees, but when it was flattened the intake temp went DOWN to 27-28-go figure. With the taller diff, the torque was brought down to just under 8000N, but once more boost was wound in (13.8 psi peak) max torque ramped up again over 9300N. I'm unsure of power though as the converter was flashing out too far (like to 4000) and if floored and let go for a power run it was just hitting boost and frying the tyres even with ratchet straps and 3 dudes on the back (the rear tyres are now officially r00ted). At a guess I'd say 260-280rwkw, but Saturday's race meet should allow me to calculate it from terminal velocity. I've also fitted twin rear swaybars to it to try and reduce the amount of body-roll on launch. I'm now entered in the Zoom Nationals at AIR its saturday-Woohoo.

Sean
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: 4.5 Litre turbo crown Dyno this friday Mon, 09 February 2004 06:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
we need vids Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy , what turbo u running again, u topped it out yet
ta23
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: 4.5 Litre turbo crown Dyno this friday Mon, 09 February 2004 13:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
very impressive setup Shocked
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: 4.5 Litre turbo crown Dyno this friday Mon, 09 February 2004 13:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nice job dude! yeah let me see vids!! Smile
beerfart
Regular

August 2002
Re: 4.5 Litre turbo crown Dyno this friday Mon, 09 February 2004 13:30 Go to previous message
might have to get my arse down for a look see.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:T-40/T50 hybrid ?
Next Topic:Pod filter/airbox on a 7MGTE
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 16 00:05:12 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.13822984695435 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.